Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Why Are You An Atheist? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You An Atheist? (14530 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 2:58pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

The logic in your argument breaks down from number 2.

Just because everything has a cause, it doesnt necessarily mean that there will be an alpha causer. Non Sequitur- it does not follow

what do u mean by it doesnt mean?

No incident or thing in this world without a cause, and that cause must posses an alpha cause. Dont get to carried away with you delusion.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 3:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

what do u mean by it doesnt mean?

No incident or thing in this world without a cause, and that cause must posses an alpha cause. Dont get to carried away with you delusion.

Abeg shift.

<<<<<

Move to the left. You have no common sense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 3:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Abeg shift.

<<<<<

Move to the left. You have no common sense

sure you dnt have common sense the moment you started to deny the existence of God. Soon you will start to deny that of man as well.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 3:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

sure you dnt have common sense the moment you started to deny the existence of God. Soon you will start to deny that of man as well.

Really? Bill Gates the atheist has no common sense? What about Seun Osewa or Richard Dawkins?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 3:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

wrong syllogism.

2. For every cause there is a cause (cause causer) if you continue this way there must be an uncaused cause where all other cause comer from

Which kan logic is this? You were making sense before only for you to DECLARE out of thin air that there is an uncaused cause. Why should there be? And who determines the end of causation? Do we just make it up and say it's a God? Hahaha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2014
finofaya: @folykaze

But you stubborn sha. Do you agree that there is no single definition for God? I agree. You do too, you said so in your third sentence. As such, asking an atheist to define God amounts to asking him to give you all the definitions of God. This is because unlike theists, an atheist does not have a preference for any definition of God. If the atheist limits himself to any particular God, he is no atheist in the true sense. He will only be an atheist the same way a christian is an atheist to Allah.

This is not even taking into account the fact that atheism is the absence of belief. It is you who wants somebody to believe something that will define what the thing is. You may say an atheist wants you to believe that there is no God, but an atheist can only provide you with a broad and general concept of what the God is. Mazaje did good by providing you with a summary of what God should mean, i.e supreme being and all that, but you are still asking for definition.

I think you seriously misunderstand what atheism is or you are just trolling.

The fact that there is no universal definition of God is not the atheists problem, but the theists. It is them after all who brought it up.

And those your examples that state; I believe Fela is God, if you say God does not exist, you are denying the existence of Fela, they are just misguided. Look at it this way; I say to you "Fela is a square circle". You know that square circles don't exist and you tell me so. Would I be correct to conclude that you are thereby denying the existence of Fela? I don't think so. (I noticed you were reluctant to call Fela a supreme being. Hmm.)

Also saying you can label anything as God simply shows that you are trolling. I might as well label this post God. Or bread. That doesn't make the post God. In fact, if I did that, your humble self would say that my post is not God. Then you would have to define God for me.

I still think you may have an unfair dislike of atheists, since you keep excusing agnostics, even though they must also know what God is before saying they have not reason to believe in him.

The definition you seek has been given to you. Maybe its something else you want.

Nice input brother. . .He is just trolling, i just regretted engaging him and derailing the thread. . .He forcefully wants to say that christianity is a monotheistic religion defines god the same way as the polytheist or pantheist defines god. . .he claims that according to christinaity humans are god, many god exist, energy is god bla bla bla. . .this man is deluded and a ridiculous troll. . .

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
frank317:

I am beginning to think think that you like arguing for the sake of argument. You cant pretend you dont know why many atheist who were once christians or muslims disbelieve in the existence of God. shouldn't it be clear to you that they just think that what they have been made to believe in the past is false and does not just make sense to them especially when they deeply think it through (something the holy books has asked theists not to do)

Friend, we need to make ourselves understand each other. So pls calm down. If you do not understand my point well, kindly pls ask questions. I promise to answer them like I did to that guy in my previous post.

Now lets deal with what you have up there. I can categorically say you are wrong when you mean to say atheist actually were once christian or muslim so at a point when they start disbelieving in those religion God, they become an atheist.

From what I have learnt, atheism is not about disbelieve in christian or muslim God only but all Gods. A christian might not believe in Zeus, that does not make them an atheist. An Hindi might not believe in Allah, this does not make them atheist.

Atheism is the disbelieve in all God.

frank317:
i wonder what you really want to hear here. the problem here is not even about the definition of God, i dont know why that is a bother to you.

It is needed man. This would help us with our evalutions.

frank317:
I think what atheist as against is the fact that one religion claims to be the source to the creator of the world, saying all other religions are false, claiming that all have sinned, claiming that morality is from 'their' God, claimining that an all loving God will roast in hell for not believing in some words written in the book, acting holier than thou when it is obvious that no one is perfect, the deceit in religious houses and how backward religion has made our society become.

Anti-religion isnt the same thing as atheism. Get your fact straight.

Atheism is not about one religion but all.

frank317:
Atheist are against the contradictions in the bible and quran, the misconception and confusion brought about by these contradictions, the stories in the holy books that makes no sense that people are forced to believe, the violence and waste of human lives religion (especially foreign ones) has brought upon us.

Pls stop all these. It is fallacy to me.

Nature is beautiful and as well ugly. . . . .why dont you start anti-nature campaign?

frank317:
why are you speaking of the definition of God like it is all that matters... if God is energy, will energy burn people in hell?

Yes. . . .nuclear thermo heat. . . .lol

obadiah, I remember him today.

frank317:
do you think if God was just the definition that you gave above and that is all that he is with out one religion claiming monopoly of knowledeg of him, without talking about hell and how jealous he is, without the muslems forcing people to behave in a particular way.... do you think if it were just about seeing God as energy(or what ever you think he is) atheist would have been here arguing day and night?

On this thread, I didnt define what God is to me. Mazaje only cited where I label energy as God. This is something that happened on another thread not here.

I am not the one making cliam. Atheists are so they should define or make me understand their position.

It will be madness when I claim America is paradise when I dont know what/where America is or what a paradise look like.

Let go energy as God. It good as label.

So tell me what you think God is.

frank317:
now that you have successful defined your God, does that stop atheists from rejecting the fact that he will burn us in hell or punish us for not believing in him?

As if all religion holds this hell doctrine. What is your problem? Are you an atheist because you are scare of imaginary lake of fire?

frank317:
what do you really want here?

Define God. . . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by sweetstuff20(f): 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
i don't know why people don't know how to mind their business. The thread was created for atheists to share their stories on how they decided to be what they are not for an argument whether God exist or not. Please don't tell me people don't understand english language. Please if you know you don't have anything to contribute to the subject, stop quoting another person to prove them wrong just so you can be noticed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:54pm On Aug 15, 2014
mazaje:

Nice input brother. . .He is just trolling, i just regretted engaging him and derailing the thread. . .He forcefully wants to say that christianity is a monotheistic religion defines god the same way as the polytheist or pantheist defines god. . .he claims that according to christinaity humans are god, many god exist, energy is god bla bla bla. . .this man is deluded and a ridiculous troll. . .

Lol

These are things you cannot deny man.

Human are gods, energy is god. . . Many gods exist.

Atheism is not disbelieve in God only but all Gods/gods/deity/deities.

If man can be deity, do you disbelieve in man?

That is all Iasked.

*sorry for those hash words I used. Also, I am not trolling, I have a thread. . . .here is the link https://www.nairaland.com/1457170/atheist.....what-concept-god-disbelief , it treated this question specifically.

Also, considering what we have here which is an atheist forumhttp://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/ , it is stated there that atheist who claim disbelieve in God must be able to define what God is. . . . .

Why then is my own question a crime?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 4:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Weah96:

Which kan logic is this? You were making sense before only for you to DECLARE out of thin air that there is an uncaused cause. Why should there be? And who determines the end of causation? Do we just make it up and say it's a God? Hahaha.

i was only helping out the guy to complete his wrong quote.

Stop been to forward. Relax!
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Really? Bill Gates the atheist has no common sense? What about Seun Osewa or Richard Dawkins?

whoever disregard the existence of God needs to be re-examine.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
The most funny thing abt this dumb peeps refering to themselves as atheist, none of them is a born atheist. It either their faith got shaken by circumstances or they tries to turn God to atm which ended up into naught for them, this kinda dude would start claiming atheist. Trash!
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi: [size=18pt]The most funny thing abt this dumb peeps refering to themselves as atheist, none of them is a born atheist. It either their faith got shaken by circumstances or they tries to turn God to atm which ended up into naught for them, this kinda dude would start claiming atheist. Trash! [/size]

lol........As if you were born with a belief in god or religion. We are all born agnostic without belief.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

lol........As if you were born with a belief in god or religion. We are all born agnostic without belief.

nope! Now answer me is your father an atheist? Grandfather? Greatgrand father?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 4:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

nope! Now answer me is your father an atheist? Grandfather? Greatgrand father?

Great grandparents were pagans. Grandma agnostic

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by finofaya: 4:24pm On Aug 15, 2014
mazaje:

Uh huh. Bible God cannot be energy. Maybe he specializes in the use of soundwaves, and he cannot be created or destroyed. But like you pointed out, he is said to be unchangeable. He also gets jealous, angry, happy, etc. He is a personal God. I doubt energy has personality. There is a reason why christianity does not fall under pantheism. Or polytheism. Even if we are gods, we were still all created by a particular god, so what does our 'godhood' matter?

The man just de catch trips. First he said his problem is with irreligionists disguising as atheists. That such a person can be known by his inability to define God. After getting an all encompassing definition of God, he is now debati.....I'm not sure what he is debating.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by frank317: 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Friend, we need to make ourselves understand each other. So pls calm down. If you do not understand my point well, kindly pls ask questions. I promise to answer them like I did to that guy in my previous post.

Now lets deal with what you have up there. I can categorically say you are wrong when you mean to say atheist actually were once christian or muslim so at a point when they start disbelieving in those religion God, they become an atheist.

From what I have learnt, atheism is not about disbelieve in christian or muslim God only but all Gods. A christian might not believe in Zeus, that does not make them an atheist. An Hindi might not believe in Allah, this does not make them atheist.

It is needed man. This would help us with our evalutions.

Anti-religion isnt the same thing as atheism. Get your fact straight.

Atheism is not about one religion but all.

Pls stop all these. It is fallacy to me.

Nature is beautiful and as well ugly. . . . .why dont you start anti-nature campaign?

Yes. . . .nuclear thermo heat. . . .lol

obadiah, I remember him today.

On this thread, I didnt define what God is to me. Mazaje only cited where I label energy as God. This is something that happened on another thread not here.

I am not the one making cliam. Atheists are so they should define or make me understand their position.

It will be madness when I claim America is paradise when I dont know what/where America is or what a paradise look like.

Let go energy as God. It good as label.

So tell me what you think God is.

As if all religion holds this hell doctrine. What is your problem? Are you an atheist because you are scare of imaginary lake of fire?

Define God. . . .

mnnnn... if you believe that atheism is the disbelieve in all 'religious' Gods, what God do you now want an atheist to define, knowing that different religions have different definition of God.

An atheist sits back, relax and watch you(a theist) define your God to him and all he tells you is "I dont believe such a God exists." its his opinion and choice, he does not care how the definition makes sense to you, it does not make sense to him and he does not believe it.
Note these definitions are the ones of the religions that comes to his knowledge, however there are others he has not heard about... the fact simply remains... he still does not give a fuuucccckkk.

Again if a guy appears from nowhere gives him a definition of God and it makes sense to him and he likes it, he now become a theist give the knowledge and definition he now accepts as God (unfortunately he would start making ridiculous assumptions like you lots here)

for instance, right now I do not have any idea what created this world, all explanation of a creator (God) by muslims, christians, hindu's jews have not made any sense to me and so i dont believe in their nonsense. Right now i dont give a hoot how the world came about... what will i do with the knowledge, but i will not sit down and watch a confused theist come to tell me i will burn in hell, he can cure ebola (when he cant), accuse me unnecessarily etc, hence my arguments.

asking me to define a God for you is a waste of time... this is me.

For an atheist who does not believe in a God... he owes you no definition of something he does not believe in.

FOLYKAZE:

and for the above what do you mean by the bolded? didnt you just call him a CHRISTIANS who does not believe in ZEUS?
is this the same this as an ATHEIST who does not believe in ZEUS?
if you accept that atheism is the disbelieve in all gods, which God do you want him to define?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by finofaya: 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
Bro, what is stated here is that participants in a discussion about the existence of God need to make certain that they all mean the same thing when they say "God", so they don't talk past one another. That's all. Nobody said the atheist must always define what God is.

folykaze: Also, considering what we have here which is an atheist forumhttp://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/ , it is stated there that atheist who claim disbelieve in God must be able to define what God is. . . . .

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Lol

These are things you cannot deny man.

Human are gods, energy is god. . . Many gods exist.

Atheism is not disbelieve in God only but all Gods/gods/deity/deities.

If man can be deity, do you disbelieve in man?

That is all Iasked.

*sorry for those hash words I used. Also, I am not trolling, I have a thread. . . .here is the link https://www.nairaland.com/1457170/atheist.....what-concept-god-disbelief , it treated this question specifically.

Also, considering what we have here which is an atheist forumhttp://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/ , it is stated there that atheist who claim disbelieve in God must be able to define what God is. . . . .

This man you no go rest?. . .You don come again abi?. . .You've derailed the thread, enough already abeg. . .You are just claiming ignorance, you have been given the standard theistic/monotheistic definition of god, you refused to accept it and insist that the pantheistic definition is the true definition. . .What do you want na brother? abeg enough. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Great grandparents were pagans. Grandma agnostic

Go trace you background your fore fathers arent neither pagan nor agnostic they are either a deist, panetheist or panetheist. So you are actually an atheist because your grandpa and mum are? U have no personal episteme on why you are an atheist.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by bolaino(m): 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

He is "Bolaino crazy"

After Hitler wrote mein kampf he was tagged crazy, if only they knew on time what he meant by writing the book. Lol,
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

Go trace you background your fore fathers arent neither pagan nor agnostic they are either a deist, panetheist or panetheist. So you are actually an atheist because your grandpa and mum are? U have no personal episteme on why you are an atheist.

Oga, stop drinking

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
bolaino: After Hitler wrote mein kampf he was tagged crazy, if only they knew on time what he meant by writing the book. Lol,

Hitler was crazy

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Fynestboi: 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Oga, stop drinking
undecided
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by frank317: 5:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

And pls stop trying to be smart by being careful to type the phrase 'disbelieve in all God'

I believe u understand how to speak and write english very well. Type the correct thing and put an 's' in the God.
You cannot say 'all God'. You eithe say 'a God' or 'all Gods'
Stop tryint to be tricky or play ignorant for the sake of this arguement, except you just want to waste our time.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
finofaya: Bro, what is stated here is that participants in a discussion about the existence of God need to make certain that they all mean the same thing when they say "God", so they don't talk past one another. That's all. Nobody said the atheist must always define what God is.

Guy my work don plenty. . . .make I quickly reply you.

No matter how you bend this, we will arrive at the question:

what conception of God does atheist disbelieve in?

Human in some relgion is a God, will an atheist disbelieve in existence of human?

In Yoruba spirituality, Ibeji (twins) are God, will an atheist disbelieve in the existence of God?

Let me employ a dictionary here;

1. an adored, admired, or influential person.
2. the gallery in a theater.

Will an atheist tell me God (adored, admired, or influential person like Fela) does not exist?

Will an atheit tell me God (galley in a theatre) does not exist?

The point I am trying to drive in is that atheism makes sense in some conception while in other, it is madness.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Human in some relgion is a God, will an atheist disbelieve in existence of human?

In Yoruba spirituality, Ibeji (twins) are God, will an atheist disbelieve in the existence of God?

Will an atheist tell me God (adored, admired, or influential person like Fela) does not exist?

The point I am trying to drive in is that atheism makes sense in some conception while in other, it is madness.

If you call Fela a "God", it doesnt mean God exists. It would be like calling Fela a "unicorn"

You are only personifying God or the Unicorn.......you are using a metaphorical sense to say that Fela is very unique like a unicorn or special like God.

By the way, does anyone worship the gallery in a theater? You are just playing dumb to what atheism and God mean.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
frank317:

And pls stop trying to be smart by being careful to type the phrase 'disbelieve in all God'

I believe u understand how to speak and write english very well. Type the correct thing and put an 's' in the God.
Stop tryint to be tricky or play ignorant for the sake of this arguement, except you just want to waste our time.
frank317:

This pikin won make my basket open mouth.

* in fela voice, I just dey look and laughu.

Gods. . . . .

1 Kings 20:23

Youngs Literal Bible

And the servants of the king of Aram said unto him, `Gods of hills [are] their gods, therefore they were stronger than we; and yet, we fight with them in the plain -- are we not stronger than they?

I admit I have poor sentence construct.

Now go and tell those that compile Youngs Literal Bible have problem with english.

Or better still start a campaign for destruction of that bible.

Guy no time for christian. . . . . .

To one side ls
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

If you call Fela a "God", it doesnt mean God exists. It would be like calling Fela a "unicorn"

You are only personifying God or the Unicorn.......you are using a metaphorical sense to say that Fela is very unique like a unicorn or special like God.

By the way, does anyone worship the gallery in a theater? You are just playing dumb to what atheism and God mean.

You are becoming dumb with days. I cant believe this is Logicboy. Guy pack well abeg.

If you know what worship is, you will know that you can worship a gallery in theatre and Human too.

Again qe are God.

So Mr, take your dumbness else where. . . . . .no time for you. And you must pay for this one I give you.

10 kobo

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 7:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You are becoming dumb with days. I cant believe this is Logicboy. Guy pack well abeg.

If you know what worship is, you will know that you can worship a gallery in theatre and Human too.

Again qe are God.

So Mr, take your dumbness else where. . . . . .no time for you. And you must pay for this one I give you.

10 kobo

lol.....everyone is showing you your ignorance but you just keep going...

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by frank317: 7:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

If anyone tells me that God is a man or stone, I will simply tell him that I don’t believe that God is a man or twins or fela and move on. But the fact still remains that if we have always been exposed to the fact that human is god in Nigeria, I don’t think there would have been any need for this argument.

Your argument is silly in the sense that you chose to play ignorant of what any atheist mean by God, hence you asking him to give you a description. An atheist is interested in the general belive of God which sees him as a spiritual all powerful being who created the world, who can talk, get angry, get jealous, kills, be happy, punishes and rewards.

No one gives a hoot about some people who believe that God is energy or stone or twins so don’t bring that up.

Beside if you came to convince me that God is man or twins, wouldn't you give me a reason you believ so? How can you tell me God is man when I know man cannot create the world. I am stiil yet to know what u want.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by UrbanMystique: 7:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

wrong syllogism.

1. For everything there is a cause
2. For every cause there is a cause (cause causer) if you continue this way there must be an uncaused cause where all other cause comer from
3. The uncausd cause is God.

What exactly is this Bullsh.it? undecided you need to go to bed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Who Says Bishop David Oyedepo Is Not A Living Legend? / Help Me Calculate My Tithe / I Want To Know The Best Theology College In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.