Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,601 members, 7,827,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters (1629 Views)

Didn't Know She Was A Lecturer, I Wooed Her(am I In Trouble?) / Guys, Has A Girl Ever Wooed You, Share Your Experiences / Guys, Do You Feel Uncomfortable When Ladies Are Obviously Staring At You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 8:05pm On Aug 18, 2014
I feel a particular attachment to those days when you would get a clean sheet of paper and start mapping out your mind on it, expressing your desire!

I feel it was more emotional the way love was expressed then through letter writing than what is done today through sms and all that with words shortened so much that you can hardly make a meaning out of them!

What was expressed through letters those days were more a reflection of the internal environment of your heart; unlike now that people start buying sms books and start sending things they do not even come close to feeling!

So guys, how was your first wooing experience with a letter? Did you plan it for days with a dictionary trying to find big words to impress your target?

Ladies, have you ever received a love letter? How did you enjoy reading it (them)?
Please share you experience.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 18, 2014
I was born in the digital age so I never wooed a girl by writing her.....

1 Like

Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Truth24(m): 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2014
Writing (love) letter keeps being d most romantic and emotional way expressing love......
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Tolexander: 8:45pm On Aug 18, 2014
This isn't a question for the pikins born from the last decade of the last century.

I felt so elated seeing a letter written to me by my first gurl then. Not funny i just burnt the letter last year after a decade of keeping it and reading it daily for the first 2 years i was given! Lol.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by krazydave(m): 8:53pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hahah... Nice topic bro @OP

Love letters, were sOo romantic, especially when we were in the hostel and you stay up all night drafting the emotions in your heart on a piece of paper and the best part is, making the bravest decision of delivering your letter
#bck_in_da_dayz_of_true_luv
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Emyemyberry(m): 9:11pm On Aug 18, 2014
Lol@op.......
Those days in sec. Skul a friends of mine started like this
'this is my symbol to symbolise my symbolism,i swear that i love u,i want u to be my girlfriend,hope you will reply me soon,dnt keep me waiting else i go die o
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 9:13pm On Aug 18, 2014
Tolexander: This isn't a question for the pikins born from the last decade of the last century.

I felt so elated seeing a letter written to me by my first gurl then. Not funny i just burnt the letter last year after a decade of keeping it and reading it daily for the first 2 years i was given! Lol.

I wish I could find one like that!
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 9:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
krazydave: Hahah... Nice topic bro @OP

Love letters, were sOo romantic, especially when we were in the hostel and you stay up all night drafting the emotions in your heart on a piece of paper and the best part is, making the bravest decision of delivering your letter
#bck_in_da_dayz_of_true_luv

My brother, it was so romantic and that's when romance was in its purest state!
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by amiskurie(m): 10:54pm On Aug 18, 2014
I remember i received a later from a girl from a rival school then.
I remember hw a girl tried to woo me by always finding my trouble...lol!
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by dytbabe: 11:03pm On Aug 18, 2014
I wish I still had those letters mehn
Went to only gals sch, so guys frm the nearest sch send letters with sweet *chupa chops, only the rich buys it then*
This was pry 6 oo.

Secondary sch was mixed, no guy dare comes to me as I be fire lol, always figting them guys. Bt got letters at home when I go for holidays

I rem I wrote one to a guy too I was crushing on, he gave me my first peck on the lip.
*smiles*

I read lots of golden pen frm the basket of love and the hrt shape with an arrow.

Lmao
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Dannylux: 11:11pm On Aug 18, 2014
It made me improve greatly in the use of English. You wouldn't wanna sound uneducated to her? lol
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Nobody: 1:37am On Aug 19, 2014
I wish those days will return.
grin
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Tolexander: 8:12am On Aug 19, 2014
Naetochukwu: I wish those days will return.
grin
those days were good bro!

One would keep the letters for long at home reading and meditating on it, sustaining the emotional feeling. The problem with the letter then was if one's parent(s] sees it, one would definitely be in trouble.
A friend's mum didn't buy him 'aso odun'(xmas and new year wears) just because of a love letter he wrote to his classmate was intercepted by his other classmates and given to the teacher. His mum had to be invited by the teacher and given the letter.

Many people won't wanna keep a SMS for long cos it is an exhibit. Most especially the players.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Tolexander: 8:36am On Aug 19, 2014
Another interesting parts of the letter writing is that it wasn't something you could just write in a matter of seconds.
You would need sitting down for hours or days to draft after consulting dictionaries and friends that are gurus in the line. Most times they were always of the same verses. Cos the verses were from the days of Witney Houston, Boys II men (the blues in the 80s in short), Celine Dion and later, westlifes.

After drafting the letter, one would now sit down calmly to write on a clean sheet of paper with very fine handwriting or call on a trusted friend or sib with a very fine handwriting to help write the letter drafted, with close monitoring so that there won't be any mistake. And if there is, that's gonna be another paper.

Many times, they weren't given by the persons trying to woo the lady/guy but the accomplice.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Tolexander: 9:08am On Aug 19, 2014
That was the days of writing letters. Later came the days of sending love cards. A card i can really remember then was/is royal card(can't recollect if the company still exists).
I can remember there was one given to my sister that i stole to give my crush. Tippexed the name of the sender and sent to, i wrote my name and the gurl i was sending the card to on it.

In 2000 and thereafter came the days of e-mail, days of yahoo, hotmail et al. Sending messages or e-cards(e.g passionup cards) to the e-mail address of the ladies.

The very disadvantage of this e-messaging and e-card sending was that those ladies weren't the ones always checking their mails. Most times, their boyfriends, friends or siblings were the ones helping them with opening the email address and checking the inbox, giving them access to it anytime cos they have the password.

There was a day i sent an e-mail to a gurl we both had crush for ourselves. Her reply was 'fucck you tolulope'(my name). I was vexed and started keeping malice with the gurl. She later begged me and told me it was a neighbour(guy) that was helping her in checking her mail and i wasn't the only victim.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Tolexander: 9:16am On Aug 19, 2014
Letters written to woo gurls landed many guys in trouble anyway. Some guys shared their experience in this thread;

https://www.nairaland.com/425860/whats-ur-most-embarrassing-toasting
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by chidekings(m): 9:22am On Aug 19, 2014
wish those days of true love are here with us again.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by dBard: 10:10am On Aug 19, 2014
Tolexander: Another interesting parts of the letter writing is that it isn't something you can just write in a matter of seconds.
You will need sitting down for hours or days to draft after consulting dictionaries and friends that are gurus in the line. Most times they are always of the same verses. Cos the verses are from the days of Witney Houston, Boys II men (the 80 blues in short), Celine Dion and later, westlifes.

After drafting the letter, one would now sit down calmly to write on a clean sheet of paper with very fine handwriting or call on a trusted friend or sib with a very fine handwriting to help write the letter drafted with close monitoring so that there won't be any mistake. And if there is, that's gonna be another paper.

Many times, it isn't given by the person trying to woo the lady/guy but the accomplice.

Dude, u must 've really sent out a lot. lol

U missed out spraying dem wit a perf so dey smell just right..
Good Times

Girls dese days are really missing out on romance
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by LLVelly: 10:12am On Aug 19, 2014
Then days went by,most of the girls wey I exchange letters with don marry. Funny world.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 10:33am On Aug 19, 2014
Emyemyberry: Lol@op.......
Those days in sec. Skul a friends of mine started like this
'this is my symbol to symbolise my symbolism,i swear that i love u,i want u to be my girlfriend,hope you will reply me soon,dnt keep me waiting else i go die o

So did your friend die? grin grin
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 10:41am On Aug 19, 2014
Tolexander: those days were good bro!

One would keep the letters for long at home reading and meditating on it, sustaining the emotional feeling. The problem with the letter then was if one's parent(s] sees it, one would definitely be in trouble.
A friend's mum didn't buy him 'aso odun'(xmas and new year wears) just because of a love letter he wrote to his classmate was intercepted by his classmates and given to the teacher. His mum had to be invited by the teacher and given the letter.

Many people won't wanna keep a SMS for long cos it is an exhibit. Most especially the players.

Some classmates hen! Maybe the classmate also had interest in the girl! grin Back in the secondary school days, men, that was sweet!
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Tolexander: 10:50am On Aug 19, 2014
Rival:

Some classmates hen! Maybe the classmate also had interest in the girl! grin Back in the secondary school days, men, that was sweet!
this guy was even in primary school then!

Na so everyone be that time sha, crush go dey but no liver to deliver!
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Emyemyberry(m): 10:56am On Aug 19, 2014
Rival:

So did your friend die? grin grin
Remember wen u told ur EX. U can nt live wtout her,yet u are stil kicking and bloging nairaland
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 10:56am On Aug 19, 2014
Tolexander: Another interesting parts of the letter writing is that it wasn't something you could just write in a matter of seconds.
You would need sitting down for hours or days to draft after consulting dictionaries and friends that are gurus in the line. Most times they were always of the same verses. Cos the verses were from the days of Witney Houston, Boys II men (the blues in the 80s in short), Celine Dion and later, westlifes.

After drafting the letter, one would now sit down calmly to write on a clean sheet of paper with [b]very fine handwriting or call on a trusted friend or sib with a very fine handwriting to help write the letter drafted, with close monitoring so that there won't be any mistake. And if there is, that's gonna be another paper.[/b]

Many times, they weren't given by the persons trying to woo the lady/guy but the accomplice.

Imagine all the effort, dedication and meticulousness required to convey your feelings! grin .... And back in school, one would embellish it with one or two Big words to let the lady know that you're not dull! grin Oh, sweet days gone by!
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by dridowu: 10:59am On Aug 19, 2014
I did not fancy letter writing to woo a gurl @ all, na my mouth dy do am .
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 11:05am On Aug 19, 2014
dytbabe:

I rem I wrote one to a guy too I was crushing on, he gave me my first peck on the lip.
*smiles*

Only a peck! grin

Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by dytbabe: 11:11am On Aug 19, 2014
undecided undecided
[quote author=Rival][/quote]
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by jennylove7575(f): 11:31am On Aug 19, 2014
Last week I received a love letter from my ex.with a bunch of flower begging me to come back to him. Thank goodness he is not Nigerian I would not have been writing this here.... I threw the flower in the bin and read the letter. It said,

My dearest Jenny
Hope this letter meet u in good fate. Please i want us back. Since u left and stop powering my battery my system have been down. It has been difficult for me to browse other networks to recharge nor discharge.Please I cannot continue to live without you..your power supply is what I need now..I missed you. pls call me.

Yours forever
Nzwanni

Hmm! cheesy
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Rival(m): 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
jennylove7575: Last week I received a love letter from my ex.with a bunch of flower begging me to come back to him. Thank goodness he is not Nigerian I would not have been writing this here.... I threw the flower in the bin and read the letter. It said,

My dearest Jenny
Hope this letter meet u in good fate. Please i want us back. Since u left and stop powering my battery my system have been down. It has been difficult for me to browse other networks to recharge nor discharge.Please I cannot continue to live without you..your power supply is what I need now..I missed you. pls call me.

Yours forever
Nzwanni

Hmm! cheesy

So when are you going to power his battery? grin At least you could have left the charger while leaving!

1 Like

Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by guyANDROID1: 8:30pm On Aug 19, 2014
Love letters that made me to received 20 strokes of cane from my primary school teacher. undecided undecided

Will never ever forget that till I see my great grand children.
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
Back then I wrote many but none was for me I helped all those egbon when dey trip for babe and no fit put their feelings to writing,I made money off them cus I was and still verse in spoken and verbal english
Re: When Ladies Were Wooed With Letters by jennylove7575(f): 10:21am On Aug 20, 2014
Rival:

So when are you going to power his battery? grin At least you could have left the charger while leaving!
ha ha ha you should know na. my charger is main source of my power supply.. grin can't be left behind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Girls, How Do You Rate A Great Kiss? / 7 Unrealistic Things Women Expect From Men They Are Dating / I Need Your Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.