Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:06 AM

Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? (22434 Views)

Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Lilimax(f): 7:39am On Aug 26, 2014
Nashville: I have my wife as my next of kin. I married her because I trust her and in case of any unexpected events, I know she is best able to take decisions in the interest of my children. And besides, my wife does not need my money to survive. She earns a living and can survive on her salary.

But if you think your wife wants to kill you, it's better you get a separation than live in fear. Why are people sooo scared of their spouses?
You just made my day with this comment of yours smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Dcmg(m): 7:42am On Aug 26, 2014
Blockus:

Why?!

So you trust your fortunes with your kids more than with your wife who hussled with you?! undecided
Na every wife husle with the husband?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by dammytosh: 7:44am On Aug 26, 2014
NEXT OF KIN in Nigeria context is just who to contact in case of emergency or any other situation a decision is to be made on your behalf.

Your WILL determines who gets what and to what extent.

Next Of Kin can not claim your pension without going through a lot of documentations and what have you.

Back to the Question, It depends on the situation and I don't think any formula works for all. There are several scenarios that will lead to the decisions being made. EIther Your wife, child or even your elder brother.

Your WILL is the most important one.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by immortalvoices(m): 7:45am On Aug 26, 2014
Scyllapatron:

no bro, wives killing hubbys for inheritance isn't just African, it happens everywhere in the world. watch those telemundo movies. grin

hmmm...it's then a thing of the mind trust is needed
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 26, 2014
kibo: This thread is gender biased. The same women who clamour for gender equality are the ones who complain about the man not making them next of kin.

Why should you depend on someone who you claim to be EQUAL with??

THE WOMEN SHOULD WORK HARD AND MAKE THE MEN THEIR NEXT OF KIN.

my dear, don't mind those hypocrites, if you claim equality with the man, you should also work for the children, and not drag inheritance with the children when the man dies.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 26, 2014
Long grammar...its simple..

They dont trust that when they die the woman will not remarry a man who will invariably take possession of thier sweat.

Or she might have a boyfriend who she will blow the cash with and enjoy his hard earned wealth after he is gone.

If men could get guarantee that these would not happen, they will surely make their wives next of kin more often than not.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Fresia01(f): 8:04am On Aug 26, 2014
he can use whoever he likes,, buh me,, i use ma mum!!! love her more than anything else!!
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Ahmeduana(m): 8:04am On Aug 26, 2014
lofty900: men prefer to use their sons as next of kin, except a situation whereby the son is too young then the wife becomes the next liable candidate.
U WIL ALLOW HER 2 STAMP UR DEATH CERTIFICATE!BY FAST TRACKIN UR DEMISES
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 8:18am On Aug 26, 2014
disloman: U twisting this issue.No matter ao perfect ur marriage is,Woman will remain being a woman.If u were married,u will understand what I said.

Lol..

This is the most astonishing thing I have ever heard.

Please explain what you mean; A WOMAN WOULD ALWAYS BE A WOMAN.

And what makes you think I am not married?! grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Dcmg(m): 8:24am On Aug 26, 2014
babygirlfl: Most Nigerians do not value the work women put into marriage. With respect to housewives (I never look down on full time housewives) I personally can not be one because most of our people don't value women's hardwork.

You can imagine a woman gives up her career to look after the kids only to find out that the kids are her husbands beneficiary which means she will have to live off the kids.

Women work for your money and if you ever have to stay at home to look after the kids, please make sure your name is in the documents of all properties and businesses your husband acquires while you are both married.
Paul walker {an american}died and left all his $25m estate to his 15 year old daughter and appionted her grandmother has the guardian when actually the girls mother is still alive.
Mbok dnt make it look like Nigerian men are bad

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 8:25am On Aug 26, 2014
disloman: What a touching story but if all these properties r passed to d children,can't his wife does all u mentioned above in d interest of ha children?Must ha name b d next in kin 4 ha to perform ha duties?gat anorda story 4 ya where d wife of d uncle waste all d wealth on ha nu found love?what will u do abt that?I n my work towards our children's future.

[b]For a Man to leave his Estate to his wife, it means: HE TRUSTS HIS WIFE TO HANDLE HIS ESTATE WELL based on their years together.

If you are married to a bad woman, then thats your problem. And lets shelve this talk of the wife of the deceased squandering his wealth. I have heard stories of Children who have crashed and squandered an empire.

This issue is all about our individual perspective based on our upbringing: I have never set my eyes on my Fathers will, but I wouldnt be surprised if it reads thus: GIVE IT ALL TO MY WIFE. grin And I am even surer that I (His first Son) would get the least from his estate as my Father would put priorty on my younger siblings (starting from the least up) who are still under his care above me who is now independent. grin

I will also hand over my entire estate to my wife cos I know she would not mismanage it and that in my absence, she would handle my affairs well and my children would be more than adequately catered for.

On all my legal documents, my Wife will be my Next of Kin.. [/b]

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Reference(m): 8:28am On Aug 26, 2014
francleanflexy: most ppl feel that their wife will kill them n make away with their properties

Then don't call it 'wife'. We often misuse terminologies. You call a thing according to purpose just as God did not according to fashion as men do. Wives do not kill their husbands with the purpose of wealth acquisition.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by free2ryhme: 8:30am On Aug 26, 2014
I quite disagree with your line of thought, I work in a big multinatonal with first hand experience men used their wife as next of kin
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by dollarlander: 8:38am On Aug 26, 2014
Nashville: I have my wife as my next of kin. I married her because I trust her and in case of any unexpected events, I know she is best able to take decisions in the interest of my children. And besides, my wife does not need my money to survive. She earns a living and can survive on her salary.

But if you think your wife wants to kill you, it's better you get a separation than live in fear. Why are people sooo scared of their spouses?

Thank your God that you married your friend. Men that their wives are not their friend cannot say what you are saying.

Delicacy that is food for someone is a poison to another man. There are homes that worse things, unimaginable things happen on daily basis and nobody will come out to tell. Please brother keep your home well and maintain your happiness. Don't cause trouble for your loving wife you just described, because the day you do that you might change your song.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2014
bukatyne:

I thought the marriage vow was till death do us part?

Or does marriage continue in death?

Did the woman not work together with the man while he was alive?

work together where....
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by galantjoe(m): 9:03am On Aug 26, 2014
but for me, am married. still my brothers are my next of kin. until my children come of age, i will change it. reason for my action; i have seen ; even watched in movies where wife kill husband in ordered to get her benefit or that of her children because she said the man is too stingy. so i prefer my brothers to my wife.
Wife is a necessary evil one must live with, so one must be very careful, don't expose ur source of income. be secretive in that area.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by babygirlfl: 9:05am On Aug 26, 2014
Dcmg: Paul walker {an american}died and left all his $25m estate to his 15 year old daughter and appionted her grandmother has the guardian when actually the girls mother is still alive.
Mbok dnt make it look like Nigerian men are bad

Pls stick to the topic. The topic said wife. He was not married when he died.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 26, 2014
Most ladies open themselves to suspicion.

Especially very beautiful women act so independent and disrespectful to their husbands.. You need to be a billionaire to have some ladies full submission..

I don't blame the men.

But my wife will be my next of kin till I start having grown kids. Then I start distributing the wealth because nah aging things by then..
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by sleekyjay(m): 9:14am On Aug 26, 2014
Women r unpredictable.. Ya wuldn't wana bet on an obvios bad game.. All dx online bet pipo knw wah i mean grin
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Dcmg(m): 9:14am On Aug 26, 2014
As for me,for me to marry in the first place would be solely because of having children,all this "life Partner" stuff na waste of time for me,i don't believe in that thing.Like seriously,my purpose in life na to get life partner?No.
If your purpose in life is to have a life partner,good,but has for me,i'm not living my life for any fvcking life Partner.
As for me,i'm not making any woman my next of kin,if i dnt have any child then i'm giving all my estate to Charity
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by NosaHenry(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2014
It might not be because of lack of trust. Things in life are largely not predictable, especially in the case of women. A woman can remarry and maybe because of love will entrust the fortunes of the late husband in the hands of the new one, and in most cases the welfare of the children will be compromised. The relationship between a parent are the kids is eternal and no circumstance can change that, but that of a wife or husband can take a dramatic change upon the demise of one of the spouses. I have seen instances of this in many otherwise loving homes. We learn by experience.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 26, 2014
It depends on the circumstances of their marriage. Where a wife faults once as to make the husband's trust in her depreciate, something like that could probably happen. Trust is a small word, but a wide concept.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by FKseun(m): 9:19am On Aug 26, 2014
[b]Who can take care of one's children in one's absence better than their mother?[b] We Africans are the ones giving a bad coloration to the NOK issue. I have been working for almost two decades and my NOK is my wife. She is the only one that can take care of my kids better than anyone else! Not my father, my mum, my siblings or my relatives! I do not see any reason why children who have been given good education and are graduates at the time of their father's demise would be looking forward to inheriting their father's assets when their mum is still alive! My personal opinion is that the poor woman who suffered with her deceased husband should be left to manage whatever is left behind except she willingly relinquishes her right to inheritance. [b]She has lost a great companion, she shouldn't lose his assets too![b]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by repogirl(f): 9:34am On Aug 26, 2014
Actually, if my husband is filling a document for himself, I am his next of kin and if its a document for me, my first kid is my next of kin..... I guess he's protecting them in the case that something happens to the both of us?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by PassingShot(m): 9:40am On Aug 26, 2014
The wife should be the natural NOK followed by the children. Any other arrangement is stoopid.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by DukeNija(m): 9:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Fresia01: he can use whoever he likes,, buh me,, i use ma mum!!! love her more than anything else!!

I hope you know your mom will exit this world before your husband.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 9:46am On Aug 26, 2014
galantjoe: but for me, am married. still my brothers are my next of kin. until my children come of age, i will change it. reason for my action; i have seen ; even watched in movies where wife kill husband in ordered to get her benefit or that of her children because she said the man is too stingy. so i prefer my brothers to my wife.
Wife is a necessary evil one must live with, so one must be very careful, don't expose ur source of income. be secretive in that area.

WOW!!

Why does this sound troubling to me?

I cannot be in a simple Boyfriend and Girlfriend relationship with someone I am uncomfortable with, let alone be married to one.

Haba!! And you eat her food every night and fall asleep in her presence. You no dey fear for your life?!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by legendsilver(m): 9:49am On Aug 26, 2014
Blockus:

Why?!

So you trust your fortunes with your kids more than with your wife who hussled with you?! undecided
How are you sure the wife hustled with him? Most ladies this days only want to reap what they did not sow by marrying already made men just to envelop the man's wealth after his departure to the afterlife. Only few ladies can boost of hustling with a man from the start, majority of them only wants to eat and milk the man dry. A typical example is a family I know very well.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 9:50am On Aug 26, 2014
PassingShot: The wife should be the natural NOK followed by the children. Any other arrangement is stoopid.

#BlessThisPost..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by erabe(m): 9:52am On Aug 26, 2014
My dad was my mum's next of kin after she died he was entitled to all her earnings which d kids never get to see a penny of, what if reverse was the case? It would have been much better
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 9:56am On Aug 26, 2014
legendsilver:
How are you sure the wife hustled with him? Most ladies this days only want to reap what they did not sow by marrying already made men just to envelop the man's wealth after his departure to the afterlife. Only few ladies can boost of hustling with a man from the start, majority of them only wants to eat and milk the man dry. A typical example is a family I know very well.

Lol..

You obviously do not appreciate the concept of marriage.

Wether she married you after you already had a fortune 500 job or whilst you were still chopping kwili-kwili.. A woman who has stood by you for you ENTIRE life (minus those when she didnt know you), raised your kids, kept your home, gave her best years to you has earned the right to be appreciated and not treated like nobody.

Its not only when the woman meets you when you had nothing that means she 'hussled' with you.. Everyday a Man goes to work, comes home and can eat and sleep peacefully, thats one day of hussle between him and his wife..

#Sometimes I wonder if many of these Nairalanders have Mothers at all?

So when your father passes, you deserve to get his estate ahead of your mother?! SERIOUSLY?!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 10:03am On Aug 26, 2014
NEXT OF KIN explained...

This goes beyond just inheritance..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Mistakenly Impregnanted My Wife's Sis And Cousin... / Has Any Of You Dated Or Married To A Woman Who Is A Twin? / What It Is Like Coming From A Poor Background, And The Way To Succeed In Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.