Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,877 members, 7,821,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30186 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by uzoexcel(m): 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2014
olodo
uzolexis: My hair,my rules grin grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kalimera101: 9:17pm On Aug 31, 2014
fayahsoul:

All this talk about men enticing women into fakery is just bogus. I have never in my life heard any of my friends or acquaintances or even enemies make a single derogatory statement about any woman that carries her natural hair. I also havent heard them admire or brag about the quality of fake hair on any girls head. What normaly catches our interest in a woman are stuff like height, weight, complexion, intellect, domesticity, gap teeth, back ground, ethinicity, and so on but never a fake set of hair lol. Come on. Look I aint no hypocrite. In fact i despise hypocrites with a passion. I speak from the heart and mean what i say. So if you are truely natural then we are on the same team. Like minds need to connect and build. Hola at your boy.

Well, if you do what you preach, then we are on the same course l.
But yes, men directly or indirectly do coax women into
'fakery'.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kalimera101: 9:24pm On Aug 31, 2014
Jesusculture: @Fayahsoul ,1' m so shocked by such questions from some black females . I'm also female n would expect a certain level of female awareness abt african cultural heritage n identity, its jst like someone asking why is Italian spoken in Italy duh. I really dnt hv the time to educate some people abt cultural heritage. Dnt mean to sound cliche. Ignorance is bliss

Hello, don't push the blame on only 'black sisters ' your 'black brothers ' can be extremely harsh to women who wear dreads. If only that Nairaland crisis didn't happen, I would have directed you one thread for people on dreadlocks and you'll see the nasty and snide comments your 'black brothers' left behind.
So... What's your say?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by uzolexis(f): 11:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
uzoexcel: olodo

Stop stalking me angry angry angry tongue
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Jesusculture: 4:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
@kalimera101, I understand what yu saying, however if black brothers come down or make snide comments abt people who wear dreadlocks dn they must be ignorant to put it mildly or on the positive take a history lesson.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kalimera101: 11:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
Jesusculture: @kalimera101, I understand what yu saying, however if black brothers come down or make snide comments abt people who wear dreadlocks dn they must be ignorant to put it mildly or on the positive take a history lesson.

I'm glad we are on let's say almost the same page. All I'm saying is don't blame only the sisters.
For me, I'm not a big fan of dreads cuz, I'll have to cut my hair years later if I decided to wear free hair.
But dreads are lovely especially with colours.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by red101(f): 6:52am On Sep 03, 2014
fayahsoul:
Understand that this is a very weighty issue that ought to be addressed decisively. And yes i want to provoke the thoughts of my people. This will compelled us to really question the various abnormal normalities with our nation.

Mr. decisively, you are not the decision maker. Women have to be empowered to make the decision for themselves.
If you really want more women to ditch weaves and artificial beauty products, encourage them to be feminists.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by fayahsoul: 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
Feminist kwa? I dey laff. We neva finish one dem carry anoda one enter.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by red101(f): 11:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
^deep down inside you know that you are wrong and feminism is the main solution to this problem. Women's self worth should not be measured by their physical appearance.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Bolt3(m): 7:40am On Sep 16, 2014
Rawani:
That's because they don't tan to look Black, but to look Orange. Pale skin is disgusting.
You know some blacks look orange right.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Starx(f): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
I've worn my hair natural since I was a kid. Granted, I spent most of my kid years on low cut. Lol, it was my mom's idea that I needed the time, that would otherwise have been spent styling my hair, on my books. Also, I used to yell my lungs out whenever my hair was being made as a kid.

Fast forward to grown me, I stopped getting hair cuts and grew my hair. I was also determined to not conform to the western idea of "fine" hair. Every head of hair is unique and is a perfect complement to your physical and overall sense of self. I have received lots of compliments on my hair. Funny, these are usually from guys. Most girls ask why I don't get a perm or when I would get a perm. The questions are not only ignorant, but tiring. Oh, I also get asked what I would do if my hubby doesn't want natural hair. I still think that is the stupidest question of all. Hair is a pretty petty thing to base your like/dislike of a person on. Acceptance is also total. A person who loves you for you isn't concerned with such petty issues.

Anyway, back to the subject. There are lots of reasons why black women may not wear their natural hair. Some have been brought up with the flawed mentality that natural hair isn't cool and they just grow up believing it and not experiencing being natural for themselves. Some are totally against the idea because they think it does not offer the sophisticated appeal that artificial hair has. Some have not learnt how to properly manage natural hair and opt for the common form of hair nearly everyone has an idea how to care for. There are lots of other reasons too.

But even those who are solidly against natural hair, only show an ignorance of how amazing and unique their own natural hair may be if they learnt how to care for it.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2014
Spare me the blame where I am people laugh at girls with natural hair saying a girl is not in fashion so don't blame me if I wear my weave because my surroundings say so and I wanna feel normal and acceptable so not until people change that attitude ladies will continue to wear their brazillian
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Adesiji77: 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
Ishilove:

Please speak for yourself. Our hair textures are different. Combing through my mane, for example is like trying to comb through grass made out of cold fufu. You need to be well fed to successfully comb it. 'Ishon' tinz. It is very thick and very coarse and just sheer torture. I have headaches after combing it, so the best is to use a relaxer so soften the blessed thing.

If you don't feel comfortable with a relaxer then I suggest you use a texturiser. It softens your hair without damaging it like relaxers, but the drawback is in a matter of weeks, three at the most, it reverts to its kinky state and the hair becomes harder than ever.

As for the rest of you men spewing bullshit on this thread, y'all can shove your opinions up you unkempt assses because, as Idowuogbo succintly put it, "your opinions matter not." You are men so you can NEVER understand what women go through in trying to maintain natural hair.

Even in days of yore, our ancestors put hot fat in their hair to tease it out and soften it, and even till date Wolof and Fulani women still practice this. Now that in contemporary times we have the luxury of relaxers instead of hot animal fat, what gives you men the right to point fingers and accuse women who fix weaves and relax their hair of having inferiority complex?

Inferiority complex my African asss. Utter bullshit. As Caracta wisely opined, anybody who is dissatisfied with the state of our women's hair, be it natural or 'unnatural', can go take a dive into the murkier parts of the Bermuda Triangle. Rawbish.

Take it easy, Ishi. smiley
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Joshthefirst(m): 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
Ishilove:

Please speak for yourself. Our hair textures are different. Combing through my mane, for example is like trying to comb through grass made out of cold fufu. You need to be well fed to successfully comb it. 'Ishon' tinz. It is very thick and very coarse and just sheer torture. I have headaches after combing it, so the best is to use a relaxer so soften the blessed thing.

If you don't feel comfortable with a relaxer then I suggest you use a texturiser. It softens your hair without damaging it like relaxers, but the drawback is in a matter of weeks, three at the most, it reverts to its kinky state and the hair becomes harder than ever.

As for the rest of you men spewing bullshit on this thread, y'all can shove your opinions up you unkempt assses because, as Idowuogbo succintly put it, "your opinions matter not." You are men so you can NEVER understand what women go through in trying to maintain natural hair.

Even in days of yore, our ancestors put hot fat in their hair to tease it out and soften it, and even till date Wolof and Fulani women still practice this. Now that in contemporary times we have the luxury of relaxers instead of hot animal fat, what gives you men the right to point fingers and accuse women who fix weaves and relax their hair of having inferiority complex?

Inferiority complex my African asss. Utter bullshit. As Caracta wisely opined, anybody who is dissatisfied with the state of our women's hair, be it natural or 'unnatural', can go take a dive into the murkier parts of the Bermuda Triangle. Rawbish.
Lol. Happy new year Ishilove.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Beardedviking: 11:51am On Aug 25, 2020
Starx not many of you exist on this planet most especially Africa. I think we should be friends really!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.