Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30205 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by nairaman66(m): 6:05am On Aug 26, 2014
Long natural hair is a turn on for me! grin
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by segradino(m): 6:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Good question

Good news for smart phone users, u can get d best data plan(MTN and Etisalat) for ur internet enabled devices why waste more when u can pay less for as low as N400 for 250mb...check dis out on this thread. www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-data-cheapest-rate#25391662
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by disloman(m): 6:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy
Hmmmmmm.u got mi thinking n all what u said is true.U spot on.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sacora(f): 6:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 6:07am On Aug 26, 2014
Ezibless: It isnt really a matter of inferiority complex to some ladies. I apply relaxer to my hair and also stretch it 'cause it breaks so easily if not braided.
I feel more comfortable on my natural hair...see for yourself-NOT ALL BLACK WOMEN DON'T LOVE THEIR NATURAL HAIR. It just need little handling to make it look presentablegrin
U dey apply relaxer and u still dey claim natural? U well so? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by free2ryhme: 6:08am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

There are products out there for natural hair and balck women hardly patronize them. All the reason u complained about can be taken care off. Your poor execuses are reasons to indulge in foreign and artifical body products not for solutions to keep you natural

11 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kobonaire(m): 6:09am On Aug 26, 2014
armyofone: Natural hair is difficult to manage.
pDude:
B!tch why do you all say this same shyt? So which hair is not difficult to manage? Ethiopia ladies have thick, stubborn, coarse, long hair yet they don't wear weaves. They wear their God given shyt.
Your defense is bollocks
@pDude:- Why do you have to insult a fellow NLer like that ...can't you make your point without using profanity?? ... undecided

14 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 6:10am On Aug 26, 2014
pDude:

B!tch, why do you all say this same shyt? So which hair is not difficult to manage? Ethiopia ladies have thick, stubborn, coarse, long hair yet they don't wear weaves. They wear their God given shyt.

Your defense is bollocks
Seriously? On top wetin? undecided

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by nairaman66(m): 6:10am On Aug 26, 2014

I still say it's a 21st century schizoid mentality. However, to each his own!

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:

My dear, I hate weave die!

It breeds filth and germs.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 6:15am On Aug 26, 2014
free2ryhme:

There are products out there for natural hair and balck women hardly patronize them. All the reason u complained about can be taken care off
Trust me, its stressful going natural. I tried the whole natural thing this year, bloody expensive.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by DesChyko: 6:16am On Aug 26, 2014
As regards to the use of relaxer, I grew up around quite a number of women and I think they use it to make for easier combing as the African hair is curly and would easily get tangled and really becomes difficult to comb then.
But after relaxing, the hair loses some of its natural strength, and thus constant combing would make the hair cut and unequal heights messes it up, enter using artificial weavons and atachments to hold it in place while it strengthens and returns to its virgin state overtime, requiring relaxers again.
Probably, you didn't do some research before that article. Some things are out of place there.

5 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ucheosefoh(m): 6:18am On Aug 26, 2014
Talking about black women with inferiority complex especially the ones using weave ons are better what about the ones that bleach their skins I prefer fake hair than fake complexion cus the damage is minimum than bleaching

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Bolt3(m): 6:19am On Aug 26, 2014
Why don't people say whites have inferiority complex when they tan.

6 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:30am On Aug 26, 2014

Just another excuse to cover her inherent low self esteem and self hate. How embarrassing for you to come in here and tell us how much you hate the hair God gave you but turn around to whine when we tell you how pathetic and insecure you are. Keep giving excuses because thats all you have to argue with because you have no other reason to discontinue your white-worshipping.

About clothes ; Thats the most sorry and embarrassing defense ever made. People wear clothes to cover their bodies not because their skin is ugly ,unlike this shameless black woman I am quoting who openly tells everybody how ugly her hair is and how much she hates herself.
She hates herself so much she has to go buy fake hair to cover the beautiful hair that is unique which God has blessed her with. This is annoying and utterly disgusting.
H
Another hair hatted hooligan!

12 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:34am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Trust me, its stressful going natural. I tried the whole natural thing this year, bloody expensive.

So,its more expensive than Brazilian and Peruvian hair ?
To me,these are nothing more than bunch of excuses used just so they can keep wearing the fake white hair that gives them the self confidence they lack.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by armyofone(m): 6:34am On Aug 26, 2014
pDude, that was so rude of you!!.

I only answered the question that was asked and you had to do that?

pDude:
B!tch really??, why do you all say this same shyt? So which hair is not difficult to manage? Ethiopia ladies have thick, stubborn, coarse, long hair yet they don't wear weaves. They wear their God given shyt.

Your defense is bollocks

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by royalsweetness(f): 6:34am On Aug 26, 2014
I have my natural hair, unrelaxed, yet I refuse to understand people who won't let other people wear their hair the way they need to wear them. Even with all the products, most styles for natural hair would take atleast 3 hours to pull off, and do not last more than two days till you have to style it again (4c hair). If u wanna take a bantu knot out to work, you have to spend hours knotting it the night before, sleep with it, then unknot in the morning b4 work. Not everyone has that kinda time... Having said that, I still think the reason most Nigerian girls don't wear their natural hair is because they don't even know their natural hair. Most times our mothers relax it before we are old enough to know it, then they make you hate undergrowth so much that u can't even imagine your whole hair as undergrowth. I believe every girl should experiment with their natural hair (especially if your mum relaxed it as a kid), most times you end up falling in love with it despite how difficult it can be. But if as a grown woman, you've ever tried the natural hair thing and it just doesn't suit your lifestyle, then please rock on that weave or whatever rocks your boat.

16 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 6:36am On Aug 26, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

So,its more expensive than Brazilian and Peruvian hair ?
To me,these are nothing more than bunch of excuses used just so they can keep wearing the fake white hair that gives them the self confidence they lack.
Your opinion matters not.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by msmon(m): 6:38am On Aug 26, 2014
Mental Slavery!
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:39am On Aug 26, 2014
Ramon92: accept the fact that most African women including you suffer from a terrible form of low self esteem.. Don't try to make excuses to justify what is obvious.

And does your fact about your ancestors not wearing shoes or designers makes them less human than those you desperately wanna be like??

Whoever isn't proud of his/her heritage should be cast into the Atlantic...

These people have no shame...Do you know how the white women look at them ,behind closed doors? White women look down on black women because black women worship them....I have came across alot of black women who call white hair beautiful and calls their nappy...shocking.
Even after the fake white woman's hair we still patronize these ingrates.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Rawani: 6:39am On Aug 26, 2014
Bolt3: Why don't people say whites have inferiority complex when they tan.
That's because they don't tan to look Black, but to look Orange. Pale skin is disgusting.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by celeron40(m): 6:41am On Aug 26, 2014
I don't believe it has anything to do with colonialism or any of the B.S points the OP put foward...my girl used to literarily cry anytime she was combing her natural hair...now she does all sorts with it...I don't mind...really....if a girl wants to look attractive, leave her alone....Abegii...

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by armyofone(m): 6:47am On Aug 26, 2014
Just seeing your reply, thanks.

Idowuogbo:

kobonaire:
@pDude:- Why do you have to insult a fellow NLer like that ...can't you make your point without using profanity?? ... undecided

Thanks for chipping in...smh

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:47am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Your opinion matters not.

More like you are bereft of what to say.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ekundayo7: 6:49am On Aug 26, 2014
I don't like how people are condemning women about their hair. Is this more women complaining or men? I don't see the issue. If a white girl braids her hair is she then with low self esteem? If she likes to tan her skin? Who cares? What I know of women of any race is that they like to play with their looks, the eye makeup powders, the colors, hair color and style, the clothing. This is a natural part for most women and they really like it. Yeah sure, so long ago the ancestors did not have weave, but am damn sure they spent plenty of time knotting and braiding that thing up with beads and whatever else was termed pretty and fetching to catch a man's eye. That's just how women roll Sheeesh, leave them be with their hair. If they want to go natural, great, they look fine, if not, great, the look fine. Maybe the ladies would not have such low self esteem in your minds if you stopped judging them so hard, you know they put that hair to please you, steeeeewpid men. grin

19 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 6:51am On Aug 26, 2014
armyofone: pDude, that was so rude of you!!.

I only answered the question that was asked and you had to do that?

Oya sorry wink wink wink

It is just that it is always the same excuse over and over again.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Idowuogbo(f): 6:52am On Aug 26, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

More like you are bereft of what to say.
No....more like I can't b asked going back and forth with ya likes.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:53am On Aug 26, 2014
royalsweetness: I have my natural hair, unrelaxed, yet I refuse to understand people who won't let other people wear their hair the way they need to wear them. Even with all the products, most styles for natural hair would take atleast 3 hours to pull off, and do not last more than two days till you have to style it again (4c hair). If u wanna take a bantu knot out to work, you have to spend hours knotting it the night before, sleep with it, then unknot in the morning b4 work. Not everyone has that kinda time... Having said that, I still think the reason most Nigerian girls don't wear their natural hair is because they don't even know their natural hair. Most times our mothers relax it before we are old enough to know it, then they make you hate undergrowth so much that u can't even imagine your whole hair as undergrowth. I believe every girl should experiment with their natural hair (especially if your mum relaxed it as a kid), most times you end up falling in love with it despite how difficult it can be. But if as a grown woman, you've ever tried the natural hair thing and it just doesn't suit your lifestyle, then please rock on that weave or whatever rocks your boat.

You made a good point; Most of these girls dont even know what their hair looks and feels like. Infact,they wish they never had it and to some extent I cant blame them because its all about upbringing and education. The black womans hair is very unique and different from other races. Their hair is beautiful but they dont ever explore it because of their insecurity. There are so many things they can do with their hair but the love for fake white hair wont let them do it.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:54am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:
No....more like I can't b asked going back and forth with ya likes.

We understand....lol
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kibo: 6:55am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:
Many Nigerians are hypocritical. If you want to promote your culture, wear your traditional attire to the office or for interviews. Or do we all suffer from low self-esteem?

Don't just pick the part that suits you. Be faithful in all African culture rules. I mean ALL.

On the bolded, I believe that is subject to company policy and the general norm observed. If you work for an organization, you would have to observe their rules and regulations which includes dress code. Your point there, really doesn't hold weight.

Caracta: If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Errm..their ancestors never had shoes and clothes at a particular time also. You would need to define the original inventors of shoes and clothes too so we know.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 26, 2014
I have a question tho.

Why does it seem like anytime your weave or wig is snatched off or drops, your confidence drops with it and there is a sudden rush to put it back on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXzoKKPqdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcekE4vS7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eEBBmEY4o4

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.