Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) (44461 Views)

Daar Communications Presents Card To Buhari (Photos) / Nigeria's First Indigenous Drone (being Build And Launched) / Anonymous Hacked Ferguson Police Servers And Launched A DDOS Attack! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by einsteino(m): 3:33pm On Aug 27, 2014
eye2sabi:

guy nawa 4u o... how can you be reasoning like this at this time of the year na
why do we have passwords ? abi will the password b on the scanned IDs submitted during application too? if you still feel hackers can still find a way to defraud the card holders then you must know that your present ATM card is also very vulnerable to desperate fraudsters. so please say good things about our (Nigeria) efforts for once and stop being an antagonist.

dude if you doubt me, upload here a picture(back and front) of your atm master card that has funds in it. i will prove to you exactly what i mean by clearing every dime in it. anyone who shops online knows exactly what am talking about. please i need money, just upload a pic here and now.. it wont take 5mins

All nigerian atm cards that are tied to mastercard or visa are vulnerable. that is why i dont keep my card anyhow, all the details needed is printed right on your card.. no one needs your pin. i personally have a separate atm card for online payments and i only fund it when i need to make a payment. the rest of my cards are not tied to any online credit card system like mastercard or visa, this is intentional and for security reasons.

in a case where your atm card is an id, it would mean each time you upload a scanned copy of your id, you are simply uploading all the details for someone to cash out from the card. N.I.M! Biko nka di kwa very risky o

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by Gboliwe: 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
dada01:

You could keep smoking weeds and posting SHIT iz none of my BIZ although, but issues that concern Naija development, if u don't know wat to post please just off your data.

OK
grin grin grin I hail thee o Nigerian youth.

SMH undecided
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by VellyG(m): 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
Great job...with Databases we will make things more easier for us. There shud be a centralized database for deaths and births too. We r getting dere. One pipo great Nation.
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by prettiest1(f): 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2014
shikshark:
if you register the old one between 2003-2011 then you will need to register a new one, but if you register like 2012 and above then you have registered the new one then all you need to do is to wait for modification phase to kick off.
By the way, the current one you have.....does it have NIN or personal number?
Please what is the fate of someone who didn't register for the old one?
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by feedthenation(m): 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
How many times will a national ID card be launched, it's like every administration likes wastage.
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by shikshark: 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
prettiest1: Please what is the fate of someone who didn't register for the old one?
Just visit the nearest NIN registration center and register. pls go with a valid i.d card. e.g voters card, drivers license , int passport , birth certificate etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by bedfordng(m): 4:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
lets see how it goes
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by eye2sabi(m): 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
einsteino:

dude if you doubt me, upload here a picture(back and front) of your atm master card that has funds in it. i will prove to you exactly what i mean by clearing every dime in it. anyone who shops online knows exactly what am talking about. please i need money, just upload a pic here and now.. it wont take 5mins

All nigerian atm cards that are tied to mastercard or visa are vulnerable. that is why i dont keep my card anyhow, all the details needed is printed right on your card.. no one needs your pin. i personally have a separate atm card for online payments and i only fund it when i need to make a payment. the rest of my cards are not tied to any online credit card system like mastercard or visa, this is intentional and for security reasons.

in a case where your atm card is an id, it would mean each time you upload a scanned copy of your id, you are simply uploading all the details for someone to cash out from the card. N.I.M! Biko nka di kwa very risky o

I get what you mean bro.... so u b one of the people wey efcc dey find abi grin grin

2 Likes

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by einsteino(m): 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
eye2sabi:

I get what you mean bro.... so u b one of the people wey efcc dey find abi grin grin

That is the alarming thing, even a noob can do it. so long as you know how to use a computer, the lapse in security is so huge.
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ceasare: 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
VellyG: Great job...with Databases we will make things more easier for us. There shud be a centralized database for deaths and births too. We r getting dere. One pipo great Nation.

We are getting where U must be kidding me !!! In 2014....when some Nation are not even bothering themselves over mundane things like national I'd, birth n death database, drivers licence etc we are here celebrating mediocrity.right from babangida's regime till date all the govt hv been using this I'd thing to siphon money.even this nimc was Initiated by obj and i hope we got it right this time.take a trip to frsc data capture centre at old secretariat ,ikeja and see mediocrity at its peak.just 2 scanning machine for a whole state like Lagos! Why won't people get the licence through backdoors......little wonder our politicians still uses " I will provide you with good road,portable water and electricity" and we cheer them on.

In saner clime they ve gone beyond these.they are thinking of ow to make life super easy and worth living for there citizen!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
Lmaooooo National ID Card in conjuction with Mastercard Credit Services.

Who the hell are these backwards folk at the helm of Govt in Nigeria?! undecided

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by redcliff: 4:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
FrankC3:

What do I call this? I guess the mere mention of Master Card suggests to you that it is the regular ATM card.

One of the biggest problem of the present generation of Nigerian youth is to somehow think that ONLY them know the problem, not the solution and so, whatever any other person out there is doing is wrong even before he/she starts. The above comment suggests that the poster does not even have time to understand what NIMC is doing, all he knows is that it is wrong, not matter what it is.

What happened to the banks. Please tell me anywhere in the world where an financial account is linked with the identification database system in the country? Please just give me one and i would shutup. They are indirectly turning nimc to a mini financial system whuch should not be so. Leave money and monetary aspects to the finance houses and focus on the core competency with which the nimc was established for!!!. Looking at thia issue from another perspective, in the background a bank is handling the financial aspect of this card. Redundancy of roles. How its done in advaced countries is, there is a chip embedded into the card so its not just an identity card, when your card is placed upon its reader, any law enforcement/security agency or authority can have access to your full data both crimes committed, and a host of other necessary things that identify you as a citizen.. not atm/bank account!!!!!

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by redcliff: 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
shikshark:
the commission has a Chairman, a D.G, and various stakeholders from various corporations like FIRS,FRSC, EFCC, WAEC, JAMB, ICPC, PENCOM etc
and i dont think they will go a long way and come up with CRAP! like you said.
Now let me give you a scenario, you have a grandad who is retired and had his retirement fee paid directly to his NIN and can be able to withdraw his money with his National I.d card, how convenient....think about it
What happened to the banks. Please tell me anywhere in the world where a financial account is linked with the identification database system in the country? Please just give me one and i would shutup. They are indirectly turning nimc to a mini financial system which should not be so. Leave money and monetary aspects to the finance houses and focus on the core competency with which the nimc was established for!!!. Looking at thia issue from another perspective, in the background a bank is handling the financial aspect of this card. Redundancy of roles. How its done in advaced countries is, there is a chip embedded into the card so its not just an identity card, when your card is placed upon its reader, any law enforcement/security agency or authority can have access to your full data both crimes committed, and a host of other necessary things that identify you as a citizen.. not atm/bank account!!!!!

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by redcliff: 4:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
ceasare:

We are getting where U must be kidding me !!! In 2014....when some Nation are not even bothering themselves over mundane things like national I'd, birth n death database, drivers licence etc we are here celebrating mediocrity.right from babangida's regime till date all the govt hv been using this I'd thing to siphon money.even this nimc was Initiated by obj and i hope we got it right this time.take a trip to frsc data capture centre at old secretariat ,ikeja and see mediocrity at its peak.just 2 scanning machine for a whole state like Lagos! Why won't people get the licence through backdoors......little wonder our politicians still uses " I will provide you with good road,portable water and electricity" and we cheer them on.

In saner clime they ve gone beyond these.they are thinking of ow to make life super easy and worth living for there citizen!

My brother your head is there.. thank you fr being one of the few sane individuals here..
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
Missy89: This would put all the personal/financial information of most Nigerians in the hands of a foreign company. which would be stored overseas.

Would not touch that plastic with a 10 foot pole

Each state should produce their own form of ID and national cards should be reserved for civil servants working with the Federal govt. or any agency that cut thru different states
Gosh, Nigerians are so silly it's unbelievable. I wouldn't advise anyone to get that piece of crap.
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ynkthomas: 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
Gboliwe: So, the DG thinks he has done a good job? After how much and how long? SMH. Too much mumu people in this country.

So, I can go and get my temporary Id changed anytime from next month? Hopefully, it will work out.

I registered in late 2012 and I don't know when I will eventually receive it
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by jojomario(m): 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
peteregwu:

pls is it the same thing with the permanent voters card?
Are you a learner?
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by demolaprof(m): 5:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
I hope it wil b available for those dat av registered (masses) latest by October. Cos I perceive dat tomorrow's launching ceremony is for d ''Ogas at the top''.
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by demolaprof(m): 5:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
I hope it wil b available for those dat av registered (masses) latest by October. Cos I perceive dat tomorrow's launching ceremony is for d ''Ogas at the top''. I can't wait to go to their Ibadan office by then
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by JackDaniels1: 5:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
@Ceasare
Going by your submission,you are not been straight forward with this National ID.This is not Mediocrity,we are the same set of ppl that is clamoring for a unified database in order to eradicate all the multiple capturing of data and biometric been done by different agencies.FRSC, INEC,BANKS etc.
The aim of this is not just to issue the card but to maintain the database in a continual basis.So we should all see the benefit of all this as our country is developing to a more viable economy.
@redcliff.
I dont think NIMC is turning into a financial institution because the ACT that set it up in 2007 is very clear about that.I guess that is the reason there is harmonization involving banks too.
I learnt that the payment option is just an Option not mandatory.You can have your card without using the payment option.

2 Likes

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by oludashmi(f): 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by oludashmi(f): 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
ceasare:

Thumbs up for that post. Some people just make me cringe when I hear such words as 'we are getting there'.

#NigerianHeadlines
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by okotv(m): 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
tonytony208:

i don't understand what you mean by "after how much and how long". I was at ilorin branch about a month or 2 ago to register mine and the reception was top class. The organization and registration process too were so un-Nigerian, if you know what i mean. So if they had spent huge money on it, i think it is justified. The id card is coming out about 2 months after its commencement. If you know the number of pple that registered, you will realize they need time to put things together.
...speak for yourself cause here in my part of Lagos its hell..infact i have put off registration till further notice...wish i could register outside Lagos state.
Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by pimplucious: 5:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
fr3do:

How

I can't go into details now but I suggest u read up data protection act plus imagine how much u make with 170 million personal details of a whole country's population.

I will find time and eleborate on how u can be defrauded with this and how its also a security risk on the country as well.

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ceasare: 5:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
@jack daniel1: did u read my post? What am emphasising is that in as much as the nimc project is laudable its not worth cheering about !!! Most nation are gone pass this stage in there national life....cmon this is 2014 for Go sake!
U fill for m., capture and 6months, 1 yr counting u r yet to pick the national I'd.frsc is an example same with most govt agency.

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ISpiksDaTroof: 6:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
JackDaniels1: @Ceasare
Going by your submission,you are not been straight forward with this National ID.This is not Mediocrity,we are the same set of ppl that is clamoring for a unified database in order to eradicate all the multiple capturing of data and biometric been done by different agencies.FRSC, INEC,BANKS etc.
The aim of this is not just to issue the card but to maintain the database in a continual basis.So we should all see the benefit of all this as our country is developing to a more viable economy.
@redcliff.
I dont think NIMC is turning into a financial institution because the ACT that set it up in 2007 is very clear about that.I guess that is the reason there is harmonization involving banks too.
I learnt that the payment option is just an Option not mandatory.You can have your card without using the payment option.
And what if I don't feel like using a bank or having anything to do with a financial institution? This idea of linking a bank with your i.d is the strangest, dumbest, most uninformed idea I have ever witnessed in a Govt derelicting it's duties to protect the citizens.

The problem with the present Nigerian leaders is their inability to think critically, logically and fururistically. That basically tells us you have cavemen leading your country today. E.g What if in the future a foreign country plants the fingerprints of a Nigerian citizen--- gleaned from the database of this bank handling the I.D cards--- at the scene of a bombing or assassination of a top dignitary then uses that as an excuse to bomb your country into the stone age? What if they leave the prints on a computer used to access another country's systems? The scenarios are endless and all of them bad. The bottom line is the info of Nigerian is at risk, globally, and can be accessed by anyone that feels like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by Chinom(m): 6:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
It's about time !!. I registered and had my bio data captured over a year ago. I'm yet to receive the card. I hope the cards are ready to be issued now. i have waited long enough.

P:S What is the Mastercard logo doing on the card. What if i prefer Visa card ?. An explanation pls.

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by okotv(m): 6:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
shikshark:
registration is FREE!
not true....200 naira is collected from you.

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by redcliff: 6:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: And what if I don't feel like using a bank or having anything to do with a financial institution? This idea of linking a bank with your i.d is the strangest, dumbest, most uninformed idea I have ever witnessed in a Govt derelicting it's duties to protect the citizens.

The problem with the present Nigerian leaders is their inability to think critically, logically and fururistically. That basically tells us you have cavemen leading your country today. E.g What if in the future a foreign country plants the fingerprints of a Nigerian citizen--- gleaned from the database of this bank handling the I.D cards--- at the scene of a bombing or assassination of a top dignitary then uses that as an excuse to bomb your country into the stone age? What if they leave the prints on a computer used to access another country's systems? The scenarios are endless and all of them bad. The bottom line is the info of Nigerian is at risk, globally, and can be accessed by anyone that feels like.

Yet another man whose head is correct

2 Likes

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by Sike(m): 6:57pm On Aug 27, 2014
I must have mine fast!

1 Like

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
Before PDP hackers erased everyone's posts, I had previously spoken on this subject. This is what the Nigerian Govt shouldve done.

1. Issued a unique 9 digit number to every Nigerian from 18yrs of age. Only those from that age will have their fingerprints taken. The only reason fingerprints will be taken from anyone under 18yrs old is if they have a dependent(s)

2. There should be a 365 day deadline to request this number. After 365days the requirements to have this number issued to you become more stringent and the burden of proof to show birth in Nigeria instead of in Chad, Niger, Benin Rep., or Cameroon...or Pluto is on you.

3. Because it is imperative--- and for present proper identification, security and data reasons---fingerprints will be taken from adults and people with dependents But NOT from minors. In this way, the collation of fingerprints--- the very essence of your identity and who you are--- will be severely limited (for future reasons) to I.e criminal investigations, background checks etc.

4. When an adult has all his vital info taken, his dependents are listed on the record under him and they are also issued unique identification numbers. Basically, in twenty yrs a random nobody cant come claiming to be someone's child when they weren't listed on the record in the past.

Nigeria should do a better job keeping people's biographic info and medical records safer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National eID Card To Be Unveiled And Launched Tomorrow (Picture) by salamso96: 7:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
Hello people, I just completed my National Identification Registration today here in bauchi. I was told that would alert me when my IDcard is ready. Does that probably mean that its this eID i would be given or this would take another entirely different process?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dasukigate: Probe Panel Summons 241 Firms Over Arms Scandal – FULL LIST HERE / Police Officers Cry As They Are Deployed To Stop Protesting Oby Ozekwesili, BBOG / UK Police Arrests Raymond Dokpesi At Heathrow Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.