Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine (88022 Views)

Tips For Studying For Long Hours (my Experience) / Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Studying Law? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Forget that Unilorin o. I was a medical student there and I must say its really overrated. Insufficient classroom,poor conditions,poor structures and also,the lecturers. Majority of the lecturers no sabi anything as most of them are doctors who were just hired to take up lecturing to fill the gap. Imagine the HOD of a department who cannot speak good english and he calls himself a graduate of MB;BS and has a PHD in anatomy only to miseducate students in anatomy. That's why its very difficult to find professors there. Only a few professors. Another problem is the issue with departments. The college of medicine in unilorin don't have enough departments. They don't even have dentistry, physiotherapy, radiography and so on. Even nursing was just recently established. Despite all these, they keep on withdrawing students anyhow, destroying their careers all in the name of medicine. You just have to make the best of everything in this life and try to be successful in all endeavours. Just believe that you'll make it and with hardwork,you will.
Best Regards.
pls r u a practicing doctor
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Psalmuel92(m): 9:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Read my reply on page number 5 and you'll see you lack gray matter.
Lol...see you talking in pains,sorry if I've offended you with my comment...mabinu
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
sisiafrika: why would a sane being go to such school? I heard its a scam though. I lost hope in it when I saw a graduate of the school having issues with simple concord in English.
State ur sch nd d course u studied or are studying ....if you are confident enough
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan: And for those of you trying to defend unilorin by saying I was probably withdrawn due to poor performance,telling me I had a poor GP, telling me I didn't cross, you will never cease to amuse me. Many of you were still in secondary school while I was there and I crossed with a GP many of you unilorite can only dream of. During my 100L days, I crossed into 200L with a GP of 4.84 out of a possible 5.0. But the problem all started while in 400L going into 500L. Our set was one of the most disliked in the college of medicine so majority had problem in pharmacology which really haunted most of us. And yes I was withdrawn I agree in which I was persuaded to get a degree which is called Bachelor of Basic Medical Science. The degree was mainly given to medical students who were dropped in 400L and we had no choice but to accept. Upon graduation, I applied with my degree into the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria for a direct entry. I'm currently in 300L studying medicine at ABU and I can categorically tell you that studying medicine here in ABU is way better than unilorin. You'll enjoy the school, you'll enjoy your course of study. Here in ABU, we have our college of medicine in the main campus which takes studying to a whole new different ball game. Its upon clinicals from 500L that you move to the teaching hospital. I'm making space for my NYSC service this year come november batch C so I'm to defer for a year. What's just keeping unilorin up is because they are not part of ASUU which makes them strike free. Many unnecessary new developments in unilorin just makes things look crazy like making of the so called smart ID cards and distributing the so called pc tablet to every student with the name unilorin inscribed at the back. The school authorities even forcefully created a first bank account all in the name of the smart iD card and you can imagine no one even thought sueing the school for forcing them into a banking institution without their consent. I trust students in the USA and europe. Like they say, the truth is always bitter and the truth really hurts that's why unilorites will do all they can to defend the school. I've tasted 2 different universities in nigeria and I've attended many seminars in so many other universities in nigeria and I will boldly say that majority of them are better than unilorin the best of which is my citadel of learning, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Despite all these, thoughts of unilorin will always remain in me and there are so many things I'll miss about unilorin mainly the main campus at PS. From oke-odo, to tanke, I left behind lots of friends in those places. From maraba to yakuba to oke- ose to oke-oye, I left people who will forever be remembered and will always be called friend because we had an impact on each other lives. Oh I will I ever forget the kwara polytecnic students that were to close to our teaching hospital. The brought fun and at the same time brought dread with their riots and shootings. Once a unilorite, always a unilorite.
Probitas Doctrina.
Best regards

Hey bro, its obvious u are pained nd its glaring u feel guilty for the lies in ur first post but too proud to withdraw it. Unilorin started the B.M.S stuff for failed medical students 2 or 3 yrs ago so don't come nd tell us we were all in sec sch, do u know the US?
Hear yourself; Unilorin College of medicine don't hv profs etc. Unilorin has so many profs that we even have profs of subspecialties like immunology, neonatology, plastic surgery,, otholaryngology, etc that are rare.
Paediatric dept alone has 6 profs, 1 emeritus prof + another 4 associate profs. Dept of medicine has far more.
In the medical field we swear to respect our teachers and u've started on a wrong note by disrespecting, 'disreputing' and denying professors like buhari, edungbola, oyeyinka, akande, okesina, nwabusi etc who all thought u one course - pathology, a part of ur 400L course. I'm ashamed 4u bro.

Let me tell anyone who cares to listen, the way unilorin med sch programme is designed NOBODY can fail u. Imagine 16 different lecturers of different backgrounds, ideologies, thinking etc teach u 1 course which is 100marks at the end of the day ....let's even say one lecturer doesn't like u (whc's very unlikely(1%) bcz they won't even knw u except its a clinical posting nd u're in their unit), then leave his/her question if its ans any 7 of 8 questions for e.g.

....tired of typing, hv important things to do....this guy is mischievous. EOD!

3 Likes

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
SAVEDBABA: pls r u a practicing doctor
Go to page number 5 and read my comment dear.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan: And for those of you trying to defend unilorin by saying I was probably withdrawn due to poor performance,telling me I had a poor GP, telling me I didn't cross, you will never cease to amuse me. Many of you were still in secondary school while I was there and I crossed with a GP many of you unilorite can only dream of. During my 100L days, I crossed into 200L with a GP of 4.84 out of a possible 5.0. But the problem all started while in 400L going into 500L. Our set was one of the most disliked in the college of medicine so majority had problem in pharmacology which really haunted most of us. And yes I was withdrawn I agree in which I was persuaded to get a degree which is called Bachelor of Basic Medical Science. The degree was mainly given to medical students who were dropped in 400L and we had no choice but to accept. Upon graduation, I applied with my degree into the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria for a direct entry. I'm currently in 300L studying medicine at ABU and I can categorically tell you that studying medicine here in ABU is way better than unilorin. You'll enjoy the school, you'll enjoy your course of study. Here in ABU, we have our college of medicine in the main campus which takes studying to a whole new different ball game. Its upon clinicals from 500L that you move to the teaching hospital. I'm making space for my NYSC service this year come november batch C so I'm to defer for a year. What's just keeping unilorin up is because they are not part of ASUU which makes them strike free. Many unnecessary new developments in unilorin just makes things look crazy like making of the so called smart ID cards and distributing the so called pc tablet to every student with the name unilorin inscribed at the back. The school authorities even forcefully created a first bank account all in the name of the smart iD card and you can imagine no one even thought sueing the school for forcing them into a banking institution without their consent. I trust students in the USA and europe. Like they say, the truth is always bitter and the truth really hurts that's why unilorites will do all they can to defend the school. I've tasted 2 different universities in nigeria and I've attended many seminars in so many other universities in nigeria and I will boldly say that majority of them are better than unilorin the best of which is my citadel of learning, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Despite all these, thoughts of unilorin will always remain in me and there are so many things I'll miss about unilorin mainly the main campus at PS. From oke-odo, to tanke, I left behind lots of friends in those places. From maraba to yakuba to oke- ose to oke-oye, I left people who will forever be remembered and will always be called friend because we had an impact on each other lives. Oh I will I ever forget the kwara polytecnic students that were to close to our teaching hospital. The brought fun and at the same time brought dread with their riots and shootings. Once a unilorite, always a unilorite.
Probitas Doctrina.
Best regards
Now you're talking. While you were withdrawn, many people made it. A friend of mine started in Medicine but ended up in Anatomy with a Third Class. You see, Unilorin Medicine is not a joke and that's why they want to stop entrance from 100 level for Direct Entry Students who've had their First Degrees in Basic Medical Sciences! ABU is equally good, but please, stop hating coz you were withdrawn! I attended both schools too.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Realtouchnot: 9:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
OP, what are your criteria? It is absurdly anomalous to come up with a list without doing any research and basing your findings on facts.
imagine DELSUTH, wey their students dey normally stay like 8-9years.
Anyway, for me, UNIZIK must be on that list any day any time.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
1stUnique: na dat OOU worse past.. glorified secondary sch. no offence bro.
You ppl just like to hate,you can go and kill urself. no offence bro.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Lovren(m): 9:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Forget that Unilorin o. I was a medical student there and I must say its really overrated. Insufficient classroom,poor conditions,poor structures and also,the lecturers. Majority of the lecturers no sabi anything as most of them are doctors who were just hired to take up lecturing to fill the gap. Imagine the HOD of a department who cannot speak good english and he calls himself a graduate of MB;BS and has a PHD in anatomy only to miseducate students in anatomy. That's why its very difficult to find professors there. Only a few professors. Another problem is the issue with departments. The college of medicine in unilorin don't have enough departments. They don't even have dentistry, physiotherapy, radiography and so on. Even nursing was just recently established. Despite all these, they keep on withdrawing students anyhow, destroying their careers all in the name of medicine. You just have to make the best of everything in this life and try to be successful in all endeavours. Just believe that you'll make it and with hardwork,you will.
Best Regards.
am sure is either u wr expelled or didn't make d crossing CGPA dahs y said daht. Check the latest nigeria mbbs competitions man. Unilorin the best. And most importantly, the newly ranked best uni in naija. Infrastructures? Maybe u right dr. Buh dey really tryin to make learnin easier of em students. Deserve more than daht in my opinion. Rep the alma matter #betterbyfar
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 04, 2014
silentdon:

Hey bro, its obvious u are pained nd its glaring u feel guilty for the lies in ur first post but too proud to withdraw it. Unilorin started the B.M.S stuff for failed medical students 2 or 3 yrs ago so don't come nd tell us we were all in sec sch, do u know the US?
Hear yourself; Unilorin College of medicine don't hv profs etc. Unilorin has so many profs that we even have profs of subspecialties like immunology, neonatology, plastic surgery,, otholaryngology, etc that are rare.
Paediatric dept alone has 6 profs, 1 emeritus prof + another 4 associate profs. Dept of medicine has far more.
In the medical field we swear to respect our teachers and u've started on a wrong note by disrespecting, 'disreputing' and deny professors like buhari, edungbola, oyeyinka, akande, okesina, nwabusi etc who all thought u one course - pathology, a part of ur 400L course. I'm ashamed 4u bro.

Let me tell anyone who cares to listen, the way unilorin med sch programme is designed NOBODY can fail u. Imagine 16 different lecturers of different backgrounds, ideologies, thinking etc teach u 1 course which is 100marks at the end of the day ....let's even say one lecturer doesn't like u (whc's very unlikely(1%) bcz they won't even knw u except its a clinical posting nd u're in their unit), then leave his/her question if its ans any 7 of 8 questions for e.g.

....tired of typing, hv important things to do....this guy is mischievous. EOD!
I understand your pain too. You are trying to defend the school because you are one of their student but pls be realistic. Take a look at the academic area, how many classroom do they have? Just three because even the fourth one is not always open. Three classes for hundreds of students. Isn't that awful?. Look at the anatomy laboratory. My bedroom is even bigger than it. Take a look at the cadavers that was used for practicals. They never change them for weeks with alll of them extremely fibrosed. They never supplied us with fresh bodies. Comm'on don't deceive yourself and speak the truth. I'm ashamed of you too bro, simply for not telling the truth. You can never become an activist. You can never become a leader.

7 Likes

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by trustnobody01(m): 9:49pm On Sep 04, 2014
LAgos state university. College of medicine (LASUCOM) is ONE of the best......
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Stuffyj(m): 9:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Let them keep deceiving themselves. The total number of professors in that place are not more than 6 or 7.
What r u even saying self? U didn't talk like som1 dt ever passed 2ru Unilorin college of Health Sciences. The number of professors there is more than 35 except if u don't know. If u want/care to know, I can give u d full list (u can PM me) or better still, check it on Unilorin website. I blv u can do better. Pls, stop d unnecessary hatred and concentrate on ur studies; God hs given u d 2nd chance and he will see u 2ru. All d very best.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Akiika: 9:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
They are all outdated and crappy in the field of medicine, they live on old glory. I'm an alumnus of UI and so also is my Dr. Bro. in law. He attested to how archaic what they taught them was when he started practicing here (of course after writing exams and completing residency), need i say he had practiced at least 5 years before immigrating to the US.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Omonoba1: 10:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
morefire:

a force to reckon with no doubts but they lost their accreditation... means something is wrong somewhere
the accreditation is intact!
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Ashkormissy(f): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
I was also told he knew nothing apart from anastomosis and classification of bones.
C'mon! D guy is a medical doctor, an alumni of ABU.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
Ademolapaul: WTF and shame on u for saying u were once a medical student in unilorin,its no doubt u were one of those dullards who couldn't make a crossing gp of 1.5,shame on u once again,imagine u telling us that they are 'miseducating' the students,how did u know that when u couldn't even further ur education,the only option and my only advice left for u is to Go and Die.#wasteofmoney
For your information, I crossed there with a GP of 4.84 and its better to use your brain when talking to me because that's a GP you can only dream of and no member of your family will ever get close to that kind of GP. Its apparent you are not even a student because the crossing GP for medicine is 3.0 and not the 1.5 you managed to get in your 100L. If you don't know what to say, just get the fück off and leave this thread. I'm way better than you so don't even think of comparing yourself to me. By the way, what's your current GP? Can your current GP assure you a good future? Do you have hope at all ? Are you sure you are not just going to school for nothing? Do you think your life is worth an education?

3 Likes

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
sisiafrika: bros, reverse, pull over and park well. He 'spoke' the truth. Your school is Islamic! No merits, no nothing! I have guys over there o.
get off the thread and stop spewing rubbish,what's the meaning of 'no merit' 'no nothing'and what if u have guys overthere?am sure u were once denied admission in that great skul....#BBF....
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by eemalex(m): 10:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Best Regards.
From this, u know the nigga's pain is dat he was dropped from medicine cos he couldn't cope. eehya Pele take heart.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2014
Stuffyj:
What r u even saying self? U didn't talk like som1 dt ever passed 2ru Unilorin college of Health Sciences. The number of professors there is more than 35 except if u don't know. If u want/care to know, I can give u d full list (u can PM me) or better still, check it on Unilorin website. I blv u can do better. Pls, stop d unnecessary hatred and concentrate on ur studies; God hs given u d 2nd chance and he will see u 2ru. All d very best.
Bros wetin u dey study?
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
eemalex: [b][/b]
From this, u know the nigga's pain is dat he was dropped from medicine cos he couldn't cope. eehya Pele take heart.
Its apparent you wouldn't have gone past 100L if it was you not to talk of graduating with a degree.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Stuffyj(m): 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Bros wetin u dey study?
To God's glory, am a qualified medical doctor FYI.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Fiilosofer(m): 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lol... Funny thread grin
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2014
Ademolapaul: A typical hopeless and frustrated baboon!u crossed with 4.84 and u are here blackmailing the school just STFU.tell us ur problem and let's give u a lasting solution.and did u just mention my family?like I said earlier,ur parents only wasted money on u.#Nitwit
I hate wasting my precious time on fools and hopeless people. Just get your fûcking self outta here and try to make your dim future bright. Don't reply me. I don't wanna read your comment coz ur very irritating.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Suresh08: 10:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
evavista: For real, I was discussing with my elder sister who stays in preson, uk last week about medical schools in nigeria, she mentioned unilorin and said most medical guys in her church over there are all unilorin alumni and they are very good. You better say the real reason behind this hate because I know of one 'lagusto' here from unilorin and he looks like an intelligent dude

actually, it's lagusta.
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by HenryG(m): 10:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
Afghanistan:
Best Regards.
That's Dr M.S Ajao, Anatomy department. Everybody knows him here in school. I just wonder how ABU Zaria will give the man MBBS self.He is a problem for us in Unilorin(UITH)
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by bigdrey(m): 10:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
I know the list is jargons as I didn't c OOU, and I nw knw it is rubbish wen I saw UNILORIN. *no offence pls* that's just my view.

2 Likes

Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by olayincar(m): 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
Khaynet: Top 10 Best University In Nigeria:in Terms Of Medicine & Surgery.

1) University of Ibadan.
2) Obafemi awolowo university.
3) University of Ilorin.
4) Ahmadu bello university Zaria.
5) University of lagos.
6) Lagos state University.
7) University of Nigeria Nsukka.
cool Delta state university Abraka.
9) Niger delta university.
10) Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma.

Do you think am right? Prove me wrong or
support me now in comment.

UI and Ahmadu bello university Zaria. Is the best
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by SwagPower: 10:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
Legit: NONE of them is good enough for me or anyone. Medical training in Nigeria is a joke. These "so Called" doctors are noting but a medical assistant as they are not exposed to the latest equiptment or innovation. I will never be treated by Nigerian doctors in Nigeria, if I can help it, and will put in my will. My relative had a stroke in nigeria, the dumb Nigerian "so called" doctors could not diagnose it, im not a doctor, and I know the sign of stroke.

My friend was sick in Nigeria, was rushed to an expensive hospital, the doctor gave her an injection, and paralised the poor woman. It is not the fault of the student, they only learned with the little they have. This is why Nigeria medical degree is NOT recognise in most western countries. The hostels is not condusive to learning, with dirty full everywhere. Nigerian education na yeye. Why are all the rich getting out of the country for treatment, even the President. I don't blame them, I have zero respect for these Nigerian Doctor, they're not qualify, the standard is too low. I will not trust my live to the "so Called" nigerian doctors. It is rubbish. This is the truth.
the fact dt u had 2 add "this Is d truth " translates 2 u trying 2 convinced ursef, dt wat u said is true undecided
Re: Best Nigerian Universities For Studying Medicine by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
HenryG:
That's Dr M.S Ajao, Anatomy department. Everybody knows him here in school. I just wonder how ABU Zaria will give the man MBBS self.He is a problem for us in Unilorin(UITH)
That man is a serious problem along with his son DR Alabi. grin. U too be medical student there abi? Dr Enaibe was my favorite but he's too playful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

2018 PTDF Scholarship China/France/Germany: Shortlisted Applicants / How Relevant Is NOUN Certificate? / FG Releases Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.