Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

The Forte - Dating And Meet-up Zone (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating And Meet-up Zone / The Forte (16077 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forte by kingphilip(m): 1:46pm On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi:

Ehyyahh
Pele.

Final Exams?
Yes dear
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 1:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
kingphilip:
Yes dear

All the best, my Dear.
Re: The Forte by kingphilip(m): 4:46pm On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi:

All the best, my Dear.
Tnx

so hws ur day going
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2014
kingphilip:
Tnx

so hws ur day going

Great, thanks.
Yours?
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2014
Hello Forte!!
Good evening! How are we all doing today? It’s pouring here, how are things on your side?

Certain books have been “markers” of different stages of growth in my life – some bigger markers than others. I was curious if you have a similar experience with books, and if you’d want to share some of them with the rest of us.

Here are some books that have been immensely instrumental to some of the major paradigm shifts and accelerated mindset growth I’ve experienced. What are some books that have influenced you, in what manner and to what degree?

Me:
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
It’s a novel about racism set in mid 20th century Alabama, about a lawyer, Atticus Finch, who decides to defend a black man in court in spite of the repercussions. I learned a lot about empathy and the necessity of standing up for the oppressed voiceless and defenseless underdogs in our society. I’d say it was a powerful eye-opener to my own proneness of excluding other people from deserving my love and understanding just because they defer in opinions, beliefs, culture, sexual orientation, race etc from me. I learned that instead of condemning them, I should strive to understand them first, to “climb into their skins and walk around in it” as Atticus puts it. I think I was only a teenager when I read the book but I can still remember the plot vividly.

The Bible
Coming from an “atheist”, it’s a book with some seriously incredulous tales and a lot of horrible and sad events. But there are moral lessons that are worth considering if we take them apart from the not so pleasant stories. My initial desire to strive for moral excellence was in no small way influenced by biblical injunctions. Y’all know the bible so a concise review is not necessary here. But as of today, I don’t feel some biblical precepts are still binding or hold as much value to me as they use to, especially since there are a lot of good books which are more pragmatic in their approach, more relevant for today, more inspiring and invigorating and make no claim of divine authorship... No offense to believers please.

Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die by John Izzo
If I must pick a single book that has had the most influence on what I perceive as top priorities in my life and what I expect of myself behavior wise, then this has to be the book. I have read it 3 times already and I’d still read it many more times in the future. Btw, they even made me a Page Admin on the book’s Facebook page, how awesome is that? The main idea behind the book was originally from a documentary on Biography channel, where old people, 70 and above, from diverse socio-cultural, religious, racial, economic backgrounds were nominated by other people who felt they could be considered wise and they were interviewed about life. The wisdom from this wise elders had a profound and beautiful effect on me, definitely more than any other single book. I learned why I need to not only show love but to become love, to exude love in every interaction. And it’s not for them, it’s for me. I also learned that life should be lived in the moment - be here when you’re here, be daring, take risks so that you leave no regrets – no coulda, woulda, shoulda – give more than you take; strive to improve things, be the change you want to see, be sustainable in how you treat the earth and her resources. And finally, live your own truth; be true to heart, follow your dreams and don’t look back for anything. It’s not even a religious book you see, even though John Izzo was once a Presbyterian clergy before becoming like me - a confused, lost moralist :-P

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
I don’t think anyone can read this book with an open mind and a teachable spirit without “repenting” and forfeiting some false beliefs about money, asset, liability, work ethics, education, prestige, etc. This book is responsible for my basic training in personal finance. It taught me how to jump off the bandwagon of the employee mentality, showing me that it really doesn’t matter how fast you spin the wheel in the rat race, you‘re still a rat. If I ever compose a robust financial plan that makes it possible for me to retire comfortably at 35 then I have Kiyosaki partly to thank. Kiyosaki came up with a technique for teaching personal finance in a very easy to understand manner called the Cashflow Quadrant. He has a book name Cashflow Quadrant where he explicitly does justice to the subject matter.

Beginning Java Programming for Dummies by Barry Burd
I didn’t know that programming books can be so much fun to read until I picked Burd’s book. This guy is so funny, you wonder if he should have gone into standup comedy instead of tech…but somehow somewhere in-between the many laughing bouts you still learn OOP. His book, a supposedly technical book, is more unputdownable than a lot of novels out there. Well, if you know anything about Object Oriented Programming then you should be familiar with the content of the book. He teaches basic OOP concepts like Class, Methods, Inheritance, Polymorphism etc in a very practical and fun way.

I have more books I’d want to share, but I’ve decided to stop here for now. Your turn.

I really would love for MizMyColi, Ymodulus, Apatheist, AirborneLacer, goofyone, Tallesty1, INNOisBACK, Legacy44, Kika23 and just anyone interested to partake in this fellowship.

1 Like

Re: The Forte by kingphilip(m): 10:27pm On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi:

Great, thanks.
Yours?
good o
hws the forte nw
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 29, 2014
Xcapist: Hello Forte!!
Good evening! How are we all doing today? It’s pouring here, how are things on your side?

Certain books have been “markers” of different stages of growth in my life – some bigger markers than others. I was curious if you have a similar experience with books, and if you’d want to share some of them with the rest of us.

Here are some books that have been immensely instrumental to some of the major paradigm shifts and accelerated mindset growth I’ve experienced. What are some books that have influenced you, in what manner and to what degree?

Me:
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
It’s a novel about racism set in mid 20th century Alabama, about a lawyer, Atticus Finch, who decides to defend a black man in court in spite of the repercussions. I learned a lot about empathy and the necessity of standing up for the oppressed voiceless and defenseless underdogs in our society. I’d say it was a powerful eye-opener to my own proneness of excluding other people from deserving my love and understanding just because they defer in opinions, beliefs, culture, sexual orientation, race etc from me. I learned that instead of condemning them, I should strive to understand them first, to “climb into their skins and walk around in it” as Atticus puts it. I think I was only a teenager when I read the book but I can still remember the plot vividly.

The Bible
Coming from an “atheist”, it’s a book with some seriously incredulous tales and a lot of horrible and sad events. But there are moral lessons that are worth considering if we take them apart from the not so pleasant stories. My initial desire to strive for moral excellence was in no small way influenced by biblical injunctions. Y’all know the bible so a concise review is not necessary here. But as of today, I don’t feel some biblical precepts are still binding or hold as much value to me as they use to, especially since there are a lot of good books which are more pragmatic in their approach, more relevant for today, more inspiring and invigorating and make no claim of divine authorship... No offense to believers please.

Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die by John Izzo
If I must pick a single book that has had the most influence on what I perceive as top priorities in my life and what I expect of myself behavior wise, then this has to be the book. I have read it 3 times already and I’d still read it many more times in the future. Btw, they even made me a Page Admin on the book’s Facebook page, how awesome is that? The main idea behind the book was originally from a documentary on Biography channel, where old people, 70 and above, from diverse socio-cultural, religious, racial, economic backgrounds were nominated by other people who felt they could be considered wise and they were interviewed about life. The wisdom from this wise elders had a profound and beautiful effect on me, definitely more than any other single book. I learned why I need to not only show love but to become love, to exude love in every interaction. And it’s not for them, it’s for me. I also learned that life should be lived in the moment - be here when you’re here, be daring, take risks so that you leave no regrets – no coulda, woulda, shoulda – give more than you take; strive to improve things, be the change you want to see, be sustainable in how you treat the earth and her resources. And finally, live your own truth; be true to heart, follow your dreams and don’t look back for anything. It’s not even a religious book you see, even though John Izzo was once a Presbyterian clergy before becoming like me - a confused, lost moralist :-P

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
I don’t think anyone can read this book with an open mind and a teachable spirit without “repenting” and forfeiting some false beliefs about money, asset, liability, work ethics, education, prestige, etc. This book is responsible for my basic training in personal finance. It taught me how to jump off the bandwagon of the employee mentality, showing me that it really doesn’t matter how fast you spin the wheel in the rat race, you‘re still a rat. If I ever compose a robust financial plan that makes it possible for me to retire comfortably at 35 then I have Kiyosaki partly to thank. Kiyosaki came up with a technique for teaching personal finance in a very easy to understand manner called the Cashflow Quadrant. He has a book name Cashflow Quadrant where he explicitly does justice to the subject matter.

Beginning Java Programming for Dummies by Barry Burd
I didn’t know that programming books can be so much fun to read until I picked Burd’s book. This guy is so funny, you wonder if he should have gone into standup comedy rather than tech…but somehow somewhere in-between the many laughing bouts you still learn OOP. His book, a supposedly technical book, is more unputdownable than a lot of novels out there. Well, if you know anything about Object Oriented Programming then you should be familiar with the content of the book. He teaches basic OOP concepts like Class, Methods, Inheritance, Polymorphism etc in a very practical and fun way.

I have more books I’d want to share, but I’ve decided to stop here for now. Your turn.

I really would love for MizMyColi, Ymodulus, Apatheist, AirborneLacer, goofyone, Tallesty1, INNOisBACK, Legacy44, Kika23 and just anyone interested to partake in this fellowship.
Forte!

Aha! Xcapist, nice to read this from you.

To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic. I have never read that book, but have read many more books about the book. It featured steadily in my many researches into literature. I was constantly informed it's one of the books everyone should read at some point in their life. Maybe I didn't read it because it's just so grossly American; I don't know. What I do know is that, American literature kinda throws me off balance with its blunt words, direct addresses, straight plots and unapologetic dialogue. A Mark Twain, for example, will always make way for a Charles Dickens, when I have to choose. I'd rather Dickens' dialogue than Twain's.
Nevertheless, the author's resolve to see this book published, in spite of the many refusals, is one thing to draw a big lesson from. Perhaps, even more so for me given my present life troubles.

The Bible is a book I have not read in years. I used to know so many parts of it, just for sports, while I was growing up. These days though, it simply holds no meaning. The content is climactic super story, uninteresting and drab. It is my belief there are more inspiring literature out there that will beat the bible to its claim. I must however admit that the book, given its history, has deservedly done a great deal in encouraging man's resolve to achieve, understand and be inspired.

Never heard of "Five Secrets". Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". Not a bad book, I must say. But I've never been one to like motivational books.

Now to my own books, books that have changed my thinking and greatly influenced the way I see things:

Crime and Punishment by Fyoodor Dostoyevsky
If there is one book I want to read many times over for the sake of inspiration, for the desire to love, for the will to live or for the hunger to achieve, that book will be Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. This isn't just a book; it's a thesis. It's a masterpiece, a work of life. Dostoyevsky, the fatalistic Russian author, narrates the story of a boy (turn man) who commits a crime in the neighbourhood of St. Petersburg and then suffers the punishment for this crime. But it isn't just as simple as it seems. The book isn't just about the crime and the punishment that follows; the book takes a reader on a marvelous journey through the torn mind of this depraved criminal, lets the reader feel a part of the criminal's world and analyses every fibre of regret, remorse and will that followed the criminal's action as he attempts to integrate himself back into the society he has offended. Dostoyevsky did such a great job that psychoanalysis, developed only much later in the 20th century, could probably have found its first developments in that simple novel. I have read this book several times already, and each time it's a different feeling I'm left with. Even greats, such as Freud, Sartre and co. examined the Dostoyevskian writings and could only pay respect to the mind that churned out those books.
Many more books by Dostoyevsky saw psychoanalysis developed in them: The Brothers Karamazov, The Id.iot, etc. I have read a few of these and was repeatedly held spellbound.

These books did affect me all too familiarly. They might have in fact thrown me over the edge for all I could see. It followed a few troubles here and there, and then peace. Peace I never really found with even the bible.

Der Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse
Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hessse

These two books are the only ones from this author I read.
Titled The Steppenwolf in English, this classic modern literature is one of the few books out there that parallels the Dostoyevskian masterpieces. Hesse was such an evolved mind and these books would be no surprise, if you knew the man. I loved the Steppenwolf. Reading it in the original was as exhilarating as it was interesting. The Steppenwolf's dairy is admirable and only heaven knows how much more developed a mind that created that diary would have been.
Narcissus and Goldmud told the story of the Buddha and his journeys to liberation.
For me, reading Hesse was inspiring. The length to which I had to stretch my thoughts just to keep up is something I will never forget. Perhaps it was for the sake of more inspiration I continued to carry these books with me in my bag, even though I never really read them exhaustively again.

These books take the pride of place in the shelves and shelves of books I have read. Having to choose is difficult, but I think I'm satisfied, very satisfied with these choices I have made.

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 30, 2014
Xcapist: Hello Forte!!

It would interest you to know that I'm not into books, sounds embarrassing, yeah I know.

I was designed to travel at a fast pace; my train of thought and my actions, that's the default tempo my system came along with. Books don't provide me with that service, they simply bore me. Hence, I stuck with movies - Oscar-worthy hollywood thrillers actually cheesy

Robert Kiyosaki is my role model. I've listened to his Rich Dad Poor Dad on it's audio format. I have it on my cellphone too. It's one of the best thing that've ever happened to me.

As a Christian, it's only normal to make The Bible my companion, even though I tend to ignore her on most occasions.

Why don't you do a compilation on the movies that've influenced your life? Trust me to do good there cheesy
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 8:35am On Sep 30, 2014

Hi Forte!

Hello Xcapist, Goofyone, AirborneLacer kiss

Well, for a while now, I've kinda ducked books, including the bible.
The reason's not far-fetched though.

My beliefs have evolved and are still evolving.
Many things don't appeal to me anymore.

If there's a book I desperately wanna read, then it'd be Notes from over the edge by jim palmer.

I'd also like to read this book by Jeff Turner.
These are people who have gone ahead of me on this path I'm currently on.

I've read lotsa books, mostly on religion and spirituality and Human beings of course.

One book stands out, in fact, the only book, I've ever had to summarize.
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

Even though I no longer agree with some concepts in the book.
That book was pivotal to my transformation, to my journey as a whole.
The bible is too and will continue to be, whether I read or not, whether I like it or not.

My reading culture with time will improve, when I come across literatures that suit me, that I can flow with, that piques my interest.

For now, like AirborneLacer, I do movies and TV serials, you'd be amazed at how I'm able to twist things and gain entirely new perspective. Though, too much of it tends to dullen the senses.

In that regard, Person of Interest stands out.
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 9:06am On Sep 30, 2014
kingphilip:
good o
hws the forte nw

Lol
We just dey o
As in we full ground.

There's currently topic of discussion, you might wanna chip in or start a new one wink
Re: The Forte by kingphilip(m): 2:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
MizMyColi:

Lol
We just dey o
As in we full ground.

There's currently topic of discussion, you might wanna chip in or start a new one wink
wats the topic on
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hello Kingphilip. The topic of discussion is books that have influenced you ...

AirborneLacer, I think I understand. I have friends like that. And now there's you tongue
I don't think it's embarrassing though, because different people have different ways of learning stuff. Like, listening to the audio or video instead of the book seems to be working for you. What's important is to get the message. Personally though, my "tempo" is not as fast, and I'd still prefer reading a book before watching it's movie adaptation (books like The Notebook and A Walk To Remember come to mind all by Nicolas Sparks).

I'm really glad Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad had a similar effect on you. I have more of his books that I'm yet to read - like Rich Kid, Smart Kid; Cashflow Quadrant ; Why We Want You Rich (jointly written with Donald Trump) - currently sitting on my selve. There's Rich Woman, Smart Woman by Kim Kiyosaki, I think it'll make a good anniversary gift for MizMyColi wink not forgetting the jewellery, roses, boxes of chocolate of course. I think my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is buying books, It's difficult for me to pass a good title if I have the money on me at the moment. If I don't buy any book today I'll still have enough to last me two years. I even have a few religious ones that I didn't read and I have no need for them now.
//personal note to self, remember to give out those books to people who want them.

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
What in the world are you here for MizMyColi? cheesy Purpose Driven Life was the bomb!! It greatly helped my Christian life. At the time, it was virtually the most important book to me next to the bible. We've read it as a family, then I read it as a person, I gave at least two copies as birthday presents and I took many more friends on the 40 day journey, including my then girlfriend "sister-in-the-Lawd". Menh, I still remember some of those topics, points to ponder and memory verses "I'm your creator, you were in my care even before you were born".... Hehe. I loved how it redefined worship to include every aspect of our lives, and how individual sections typify how we can worship God with a different aspect of our life. It took Christianity out of the domain of legalistic "religion" and actually made it more like the lifestyle thing that most Christians are quick to point out.... how a relationship with the almighty doesn't have to be rocket science.

Tell us some more about the type of books Jim Palmer and Jeff Turner write.

To all Christians here, I think Rick Warren has written a book worth 40 days of your life. You may like to check it out and thank me later. ..And while at it grab (/download) a copy of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and Why I Believed by Kenneth Daniels. Just kidding tongue. God bless you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Forte by ebullientV(m): 9:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
Okay! I'm lost around here.

Plz landlady Mizmycoli, come and summarise for me how things work here, exactly. grin
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 9:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hi Forte!
Goodevening All!

Please welcome EbullientV, yeah, the One I talked about in the OP.

Vic, meet Goofyone (don't let that moniker of his decieve you, the guy is Awesome to a power of 7)

And Xcapist (This guys is.......well, you must have read my thoughts for him in the say something good thread
I just know that He is Somebody! Mmadu!

DavIt0 is a mystery man. I'll copy you if I ever get to solve him cheesy
But I know He's a Thinker.

You know My AirborneLacer wink

There are others too who come around.
But these are the consistent buddies I have on here.

Presently, we're talking about bOoks that have made the most impact on our lives, that formed us, to a large extent.

What's your take?
Re: The Forte by Legacy44(f): 10:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hello Xcapist

I just saw ur tag...i havent read most of the books u pointed out tho, buh ur review was so compellin that i would seek out the e-version of it. I would be grateful if u can help me wt a download link - thats if it is available on the internet.

I know a couple of inspirational books that u all might find really interestn altho i dnt have the energy to do a book-by-book analysis. Buh u can check out a
A Fightin Chance by Elizabeth Warren...its highly interestn.

I may post some other ones later

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: The Forte by ebullientV(m): 10:28pm On Sep 30, 2014
MizMyColi: Hi Forte!
Goodevening All!

Please welcome EbullientV, yeah, the One I talked about in the OP.

Vic, meet Goofyone (don't let that moniker of his decieve you, the guy is Awesome to a power of 7)

And Xcapist (This guys is.......well, you must have read my thoughts for him in the say something good thread
I just know that He is Somebody! Mmadu!

DavIt0 is a mystery man. I'll copy you if I ever get to solve him cheesy
But I know He's a Thinker.

You know My AirborneLacer wink

There are others too who come around.
But these are the consistent buddies I have on here.

Presently, we're talking about bOoks that have made the most impact on our lives, that formed us, to a large extent.

What's your take?

Thank you, mrs. Landlady.

your 'hosting skills' are legendary grin

@Emboldened, there's just one of such books i'd like to talk about,
'Rich Dad, Poor Dad'.

I may have to modify this post sometime soon; dedicating my night to doing some catch-up cool

And lest i forget.. it's good to have y'all(both the aforementioned gentlemen and others not mentioned). I hope to learn a lot from y'all. have a wonderful evening.
smiley smiley
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
EbullientV, it's good to have you here.

Goofyone. One word. Exquisite.

I don't know what made you the way you are but I sure'd want to know. Education? travel? personality? privileged upbringing? all of above? what is it? I wonder what a day in your life is like. I've heard of Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and seeing it in your list has me wanting to read it now cheesy...but if goof is stretching his mind to follow the flow of such books is there any hope for me?

I think I may understand why you don't dig motivational books. A lot of them are like the religion books...their message is often based on nothing substantial...pseudoscience at best. Anyway, even in that genre there people like Stephen R Covey whose works are worthy of consideration.

I don't know if EbullientV has something to share before we move to the next topic: which movies have been the most influential...
Re: The Forte by ebullientV(m): 10:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
ThANk you sir. it's equally good to be here. grin

And about sharing something, if you don't mind. i'd prefer to sit and observe for now

been away for sometime, need to get a grip around here, sorta.
Xcapist: EbullientV, it's good to have you here.

Goofyone. One word. Exquisite.

I don't know what made you the way you are but I should sure'd want to. Education? travel? personality? privileged upbringing? all of them? what is it? I wonder what a day in your life is like. I've heard of Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov but I try to read it sometime next year cheesy...but if goof is stretching his mind to follow the flow of such books is there any hope for me?

I think I may understand why you don't dig motivational books. A lot of them are like the religion books, and their message is often based on nothing substantial...pseudoscience at best. Anyway, even in that genre there people like Stephen R Covey whose works are worthy of consideration.

I don't know if EbullientV has something to share before we move to the next topic: which movies have been the most influential...

Re: The Forte by AfricanApple(f): 1:02am On Oct 01, 2014
ebullientV: Thank you, mrs. Landlady.

your 'hosting skills' are legendary grin

@Emboldened, there's just one of such books i'd like to talk about,
'Rich Dad, Poor Dad'.

I may have to modify this post sometime soon; dedicating my night to doing some catch-up cool

And lest i forget.. it's good to have y'all(both the aforementioned gentlemen and others not mentioned). I hope to learn a lot from y'all. have a wonderful evening.
smiley smiley
I once saw that book with d guy with d guy that supplies books to me but I ignored it. tell me about, summary ofcourse
Re: The Forte by AfricanApple(f): 1:17am On Oct 01, 2014
so this is what this thread is about uhn, books. and I nearly missed out big time

well few motivational and inspirational books are to my credit

I based most of my reading on true crimes and biographies

thanks to all of you for listing out, they are really an eye opener to books u never knew exists

I gotta start reading more motivational books than I used to

and I guess fictions are not discussed here

1 Like

Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 4:12am On Oct 01, 2014

@Xcapist, (Errmm, I should get to know your name soon, right? grin) Good Morning smiley

I've stalled on giving this reply because, I really dunno how and where to begin to talk about Jim.

About Jeff Turner, still observing Him in 14D

Jim Palmer's the one I feel the most connection with.
Like he gives words to thoughts I'm not able to express at a given time.

Just check out his blog when you can wink @ www.jimpalmerblog.com/

Here's an excerpt from there. Just got to see it this morning. I TOTALLY Relate.

[size=14pt]5 things that may happen on your spiritual journey that you don’t need to feel guilty about:[/size]

As people shed religion and walk in freedom, they can
feel guilt about the changes they are going through.
Thinking about this I identified 5 things not to feel
guilty about on your spiritual journey.

1. You may discontinue your active involvement in a
church or religious organization.
This doesn’t
necessarily have to be some sort of judgment
or condemnation against the church or organization
you were part of, but a choice you make because your
involvement no longer relates to or supports where
you are on the journey, or may be an obstacle and
hindrance to it.

2. You may grow weary of incessant God talk. It’s
possible there will be times when you grow sick of the
constant theological discussion and debate, and the
never-ending wheel of new and improved concepts,
beliefs, understandings, teachings, etc. At some point
it all might sound like, “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…”

You might fall dead to the need to be constantly
figuring out things with your mind or in your head.
One day you might wake up and say, “Okay, I’m done!”
Don’t feel bad about this. It actually may be a very
important milestone in your spiritual journey. In my
view, theology is not even the best way by which God
and spiritual truth is known. It may be that subject of
“God” as a whole feels a bit overdone and boring, but
this is only because you were taught to equate God
with all that blah blah blah stuff.

3. You may find that the very people your religion
judged and condemned are the people you find the
most interesting and enjoyable.

[Ditto: Apatheist, Xcapist, Goofyone Phillip wink]

Once you come out
from under the judgmental labels, views and
stereotypes you learned through religion, you start
realizing how much you truly like and enjoy the
people you were taught to hate. This is a good and
liberating aspect of shedding religion. For too long
you were shut yourself off from a lot of beautiful and
extraordinary people in this world to enjoy and learn
from.

4. You may find and express a rebellious or defiant
part of you that has been dormant.
Don’t feel bad
about this. Too often religion turns people into nice,
compliant, repressed, timid, inhibited, mannerly,
obedient, fearful, amiable, submissive people. By the
way, I would not use any of these words to describe
Jesus. Here’s the deal, you can be a loving,
compassionate, respectful and kind person AND be a
rebellious, defiant, passionate, disobedient,
subversive, nonconformist, mischievous, self-willed,
fully expressed, freethinker, heretic, and free spirit
human being.

5. You may find less fulfillment in religious things, and
more satisfaction in human things. It’s okay and good
to be human, and to enjoy each moment of your
human journey. Religion caused many people to
create a false division between “sacred” things and
“secular” things. There is no such line. All of life is
sacred, spiritual, and divine. There’s no need to
defend, theologize, or spiritualize your human
experience. Just live it! That is enough. Life is made
complete by you living each moment. There’s no need
to maintain a running commentary about how God is
part of it. God IS part of it. Life and God are
inseparable. End of story. It’s okay to enjoy life,
experience delight and pleasure, do the things you
enjoy doing, and that breathe life into you, whatever
those things may be.

What are your thoughts?

@AfricaApple Sweets, You're Welcome.
That'd be Xcapist's call to make wink
I be observer this time.

Legacy44 is sighted and welcome smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 4:24am On Oct 01, 2014

Errrmm,
Softsparkyy and PriscaOge have been conspicuously MIA.
Hope all is well?
embarassed
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: I once saw that book with d guy with d guy that supplies books to me but I ignored it. tell me about, summary ofcourse

You may want to get it the next time he comes. It has been known to have a life changing effect on some people. Rich Woman by Kiyosaki's wife is also nice (I skimmed through it). But do read these books with a pinch of salt as they were originally written for Americans operating in a different system.
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 7:09am On Oct 01, 2014
@Miz, I see your Jim Palmer has me all figured out LOL. It's always nice to know that people have been there before and they understand. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to subscribe to his blog.

The two blogs I faithfully follow are www.jamesaltucher.com and www.cjoybellc..com James and JoyBell are two people I can call role models. James is not exactly the Miz kinda guy but Joybell is A LOT like you. I often quote her in my diary. You two have this thing about your personality, "spiritual intensity"? that's just so attractive. You write a like also. Eclectic.

Btw, I'm rich. I mean I'm Rich wink No, my name is Rich. *laughs* (god, I like doing that)

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: so this is what this thread is about uhn, books. and I nearly missed out big time

well few motivational and inspirational books are to my credit

I based most of my reading on true crimes and biographies

thanks to all of you for listing out, they are really an eye opener to books u never knew exists

I gotta start reading more motivational books than I used to

and I guess fictions are not discussed here

I love biographies and nonfiction too. Which ones have you read, care to share? Legacy44 did a passionate review of A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren a biographical work too and I'm certain I'll pick(/download) it when next I have an opening. Phewww!! So many great books to read, so little time maybe I need to go AWOL on NL a bit grin

Btw, it's nice to finally meet you AfricanApple, see you around?

1 Like

Re: The Forte by ebullientV(m): 9:01am On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: I once saw that book with d guy with d guy that supplies books to me but I ignored it. tell me about, summary ofcourse
Really? You should read it, if want to learn how to make money work for you, rather than work for money.

This book changes your perception about money and how it works. It shows to you why getting a certificate shouldn't be anyone's chief priority. That's all I can say for now.

Happy Independence and New month, ma'am AfricanApple. I guess you remember you it was my 'car' you once referred to as a 'cartoon car' in ds forum sometime back wink?
Re: The Forte by AfricanApple(f): 9:20am On Oct 01, 2014
Xcapist:

I love biographies and nonfiction too. Which ones have you read, care to share? Legacy44 did a passionate review of A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren a biographical work too and I'm certain I'll pick(/download) it when next I have an opening. Phewww!! So many great books to read, so little time maybe I need to go AWOL on NL a bit grin

Btw, it's nice to finally meet you AfricanApple, see you around?
wow, I've read so much I can't even remember all I.e non fiction
some of them are: helter skelter by Vincent bugliosi- you need to read this. its about a man called Charles Manson

small sacrifices by Ann rule talks about a mother who killed her children for the love of a man (psychopaths full america eh)

if you really loved me by Ann rule talks about how a father manipulated his daughter into doing unbelievable things

And never let her go by Ann rule

and true stories by Mafia members or bosses
etc etc

though these books talks about crime but they will tell u how horrible the human mind can work, it also teaches u never to trust anybody

for biographies,
gifted hands by Dr Ben Carson
night by wiesel
the hiding place by corrie ten boom
mengel by Gerald l. Posner and other

And please nobody should tell me they haven't read 48 laws of power. if u haven't done that go get it now, like its name its a powerful book, if your are looking for books to teach you on how to succeed in life don't miss this book, it can be boring but it worth reading

other inspiration books u might have not read:
how to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.
five love languages by Gary Chapman.
Jennifer and her selves by Gerald schoenewolf

what is AWOL

nice to finally meet you too. yeah u will see me around
Re: The Forte by AfricanApple(f): 9:24am On Oct 01, 2014
ebullientV: Really? You should read it, if want to learn how to make money work for you, rather than work for money.

This book changes your perception about money and how it works. It shows to you why getting a certificate shouldn't be anyone's chief priority. That's all I can say for now.

Happy Independence and New month, ma'am AfricanApple. I guess you remember you it was my 'car' you once referred to as a 'cartoon car' in ds forum sometime back wink?
okay, that will be my next buy

Lmao, I really can't remember saying that to anyone, I can be that forgetful atimes

yeah happy happy 'dependence'. at least we are alive to fight for true independence.
any outing?
Re: The Forte by AfricanApple(f): 9:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Xcapist:

You may want to get it the next time he comes. It has been known to have a life changing effect on some people. Rich Woman by Kiyosaki's wife is also nice (I skimmed through it). But do read these books with a pinch of salt as they were originally written for Americans operating in a different system.
unfortunately, he no longer sells books, and most book closeby are quack. I will find it anyway
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 10:30am On Oct 01, 2014
Xcapist: @Miz, I see your Jim Palmer has me all figured out LOL. It's always nice to know that people have been there before and they understand. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to subscribe to his blog.

The two blogs I faithfully follow are www.jamesaltucher.com and www.cjoybellc..com James and JoyBell are two people I can call role models. James is not exactly the Miz kinda guy but Joybell is A LOT like you. I often quote her in my diary. You two have this thing about your personality, "spiritual intensity"? that's just so attractive. You write a like also. Eclectic.

Btw, I'm rich. I mean I'm Rich wink No, my name is Rich. *laughs* (god, I like doing that)

Eeeiiishh
I didn't even bother checking out James' blog *facepalm*
I've opened Joybell's, boooyyyy! The font style alone assures me, it'll make for a good read.

Thanks for the compliments.
Honestly Rich, I wanna be like you when I grow up.

Talking about rich, D'ya mean, Rich Xcapist?
Or Richard or Ricardo orrrrrr lipsrsealed
Re: The Forte by ebullientV(m): 11:56am On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: okay, that will be my next buy

Lmao, I really can't remember saying that to anyone, I can be that forgetful atimes

yeah happy happy 'dependence'. at least we are alive to fight for true independence.
any outing?
Lol. Sorry 'bout that - digging up forgotten stuff. I've this annoying habit of bringing up things pple can't remember.

No outing o. 'cept you want to take me out for the 'outing' wink.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Nigeria Adult Forum Hookup Zone On Bbm / February Born ''the LUV Month'' Lets Meet Here / People Who Should Be Twins On Romance Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.