Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

The Forte - Dating And Meet-up Zone (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating And Meet-up Zone / The Forte (16119 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 6:10pm On Sep 19, 2014
goofyone: Hi Forte!

You know, I was very astonished when I read the news that Linda Ikeji bought a 24m car. Now, that' some news!
Of course, we all know the cost is not up to 24m. Maybe 20m, maybe 21m. I don't know.

But the point of this writing is not to discuss the cost of Linda's car. It is to point out that Nairaland is failing to achieve its own potentials. Can the Nairaland guy boast of this much? If you look at the cost of advertising on Nairaland, it's hard to put this at par with the cost of advertising on Linda Ikeji's blog. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think quite a lot of people also hold this opinion.

Can this Nairaland guy do better? Is there something he's doing wrongly? undecided

Oops, perchance, you haven't seen the counter thread?
I mean there's been scores of topics created on this issue of Nairaland not living up to it's potential etc.

imo I believe the admin is not daft.
I believe he knows what he needs to do overnight to increase the flow of traffic to this website.
But then.

When I think of it, he prolly has his reasons.
He might not be interested in the money as much as he is interested in the quality of people who visit the the site, more like adding more value (quality), instead of people (quantity).
I think he considers NL a baby or a child of sorts, that he wants to slowly and tenderly nurture.

Besides, who knows!
He just might be making as much or more even.
Someone compared Linda to Mark Zuckerberg and compared Him to Sergei (hope I spelt that right) and Larry.
We know Google makes more money, but FB is always on the news, especially in social circles.

Besides, that topic on Linda being richer than him hit FP.
People were lamenting and blaming the owner for allowing his mods allow such remain on FP

I mean! its bad market naw.
But when I think of it, I find that he's actually trying to send a message to the world which could be either of:

She's richer, so?
or
I don't blame you guys, it's because I don't live my life on the front page of dailies and blogs, how could she possibly be richer than me?

That said undecided undecided
It is what it is.

shocked shocked shocked
Did I just write all that, for someone who doesn't even know I exist? Chi-zos!!!!
smh - MizMyColi: Making excuses for people, since time immemorial

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

I mean there's been scores of topics created on this issue of Nairaland not living up to it's potential etc.

I believe he knows what he needs to do overnight to increase the flow of traffic to this website.
But then.

He might not be interested in the money as much as he is interested in the quality of people who visit the the site, more like adding more value (quality), instead of people (quantity).
I think he considers NL a baby or a child of sorts, that he wants to slowly and tenderly nurture.

Besides, who knows!
Someone compared Linda to Mark Zuckerberg and compared Him to Sergei (hope I spelt that right) and Larry.
We know Google makes more money, but FB is always on the news, especially in social circles.

People were lamenting and blaming the owner for allowing his mods allow such remain on FP

But when I think of it, I find that he's actually trying to send a message to the world which could be either of:

She's richer, so?
or
I don't blame you guys, it's because I don't live my life on the front page of dailies and blogs, how could she possibly be richer than me?

It is what it is.

shocked shocked shocked
Did I just write all that, for someone who doesn't even know I exist? Chi-zos!!!!

Hehe..Mizmycoli, you are just one in a million! cheesy

But then, if he was so rich, don't you think he would be so generous to pay his moderators? I think I read somewhere they all work for him for free.
Even Reddit, which is just as much a forum as Nairaland, pays its moderators.
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 6:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
goofyone:

Hehe..Mizmycoli, you are just one in a million! cheesy

But then, if he was so rich, don't you think he would be so generous to pay his moderators? I think I read somewhere they all work for him for free.
Even Reddit, which is just as much a forum as Nairaland, pays its moderators.

grin grin Thanks jorey! cheesy
I get tired of myself now and then @the way I defend people, even when they don't know me and vice versa.
Blame on this natural PR skillangry
grin

Errr Arh Arhmm *clears throat* *coughs*

Iyen gidi gan shocked
I'm sure he has his reasons too.
Just not sure how concrete that might be.
Re: The Forte by chibwike(m): 7:02pm On Sep 19, 2014
i wud spend my evening here, Mizmycoli hope am welcomed
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

grin grin Thanks jorey! cheesy
I get tired of myself now and then @the way I defend people, even when they don't know me and vice versa.
Blame on this natural PR skillangry
grin

Errr Arh Arhmm *clears throat* *coughs*

Iyen gidi gan shocked
I'm sure he has his reasons too.
Just not sure how concrete that might be.

And perhaps I should add that these moderators do a job that is not incomparable to a bank job or an IT job in a ICT firm or any other regular job you can think about.
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
chibwike: i wud spend my evening here, Mizmycoli hope am welcomed

Please feel free.
You are highly welcome.

So, what d'ya gat to chip in @CurrentTopic as raised by goofyone smiley

@Xcapist, you're sighted cool Goodevening.
Re: The Forte by chibwike(m): 7:28pm On Sep 19, 2014
wats d topic about
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2014
goofyone:

And perhaps I should add that these moderators do a job that is not incomparable to a bank job or an IT job in a ICT firm or any other regular job you can think about.

Well, in that case. Paying a stipend shouldn't be a bad idea, I think .

Besides, there's got to be something in it for them, other than financial gain, more like a kick, y'know wink

There has to be perks attached to being a mod on NL! cheesy
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 19, 2014
Sergey Brin. @Miz
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
chibwike: wats d topic about

Topic
Nairaland vs LIB: The way forward.

Main Protagonists:
Linda Ikeji and HIM

you could check page7 for previous contributions.
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2014
Xcapist: Sergey Brin. @Miz
Oh! Thanks for that. cheesy
Re: The Forte by chibwike(m): 10:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
Have tried visiting dat Linda's blog..nothing interests me there..Nairaland is a home,a comfort zone, infact Seun did a great job creating the forum..Nairaland all d way abeg

1 Like

Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 10:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
Seconded grin^^^
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
goofyone:
Was so nice reading this...I laughed at some point. Lewis is a fantastic driver, never mind it's just unusual he only speaks English. Many other F1 drivers speak more than one language. The fact that Lewis doesn't speak Italian or German is one thing not going for him.
What sports do you have interests in?

Well, if you think I'm awesome that's just great. I like your interests, though. I used to think it was weird to not love PES & FIFA. Nice to have company here. I can play FIFA, and easily beat many of those who thump their chests. You see, when you know how to play video games, you are guided more by instinct and intuition. Playing PES will be so easy, you won't even know how you learnt it in the first place.
I have played Max Payne on PC. But I didn't get far at all. I just didn't fall in love with it and its drama. San Andreas is just great. Vice City is the bomb! I'll always love GTA. Assasin's Creed I'm playing on PS Vita. I haven't gone far on that one as well.

And I am indeed interested in the occult and in astrophysics. I used to be (and still am kinda) crazy about astrophysics. What didn't I read? Relativity? Quantum mechanics? The Big Bang Theory? Expanding Universe? Steady State Model? I read everything. At some point I started fantasizing about making a huge discovery that'll make "America know" grin and probably come for me sef. lol. Wild dream.
It was fun though. I got all my books in second hand book stores. Didn't even use the internet then. I would abandon my school notes (they never really posed any problems anyways) and just go along with reading dusty books that disturb my nose, dusty books I got off the streets at second hand bookshops. Was great!

Meanwhile, what's the idea behind your username, Xcapist? just curious

Why didn't I mention Hitman!? I finished Absolution already. Very nice game, with a lot of variety to it.

It's always nice to meet a kindred spirit goof. One of the reasons I love meeting awesome weird people like you is because there's always one thing or the other to learn from them by merely striking a convo. They have so much awesomeness pent up in them that any narrow crevice (conversation) would make awesomeness erupt like a volcano. And drab people like me get to have awesomeness rubbed off on us.

Is that Hamilton guy biracial? Is it just me or does he resemble Theo Walcott?

I don't follow any single sport in particular. I'm such a terrible fan :-/ Can you believe I've never watched a full 90 minutes soccer game that didn't have the Super Eagle(t)s in it? *face palm* I rather be the man in the arena kicking the ball than a spectator watching on screen and cussing. I was told that some fathers won't give their daughters' hand in marriage to any non sport fan because they're suspicious of the guy's manliness, like what sort of real man doesn’t like sport?! lol. Ridiculous, huh? I just hope my prospective father-in-law will not be in that category. Once, my friend dragged me to a viewing centre to break the jinx only for the projector to develop a fault some minutes in to the game and a big fight broke out, apparently I jinxed the whole place :-/ Anyway, I've tried karate and I like it. I think it's going to be a lifelong sport for me. Other sports I think I may like include boxing and rugby. I think it's obvious that any sport that has even a little shove and punches flying around would grab my attention.

Video games, especially RTS games have been shown to improve a variety of "critical cognitive skills", most prominently working memory and task-switching ability. You know how it is when you finish some games, you have to pat yourself on the back and say "well done jare, you've just earned bragging rights". And you are absolutely right about Vice City, I don't think I've ever been as obsessed about any other game like Vice City and that was like 7, 8 years back (Imagine! God, how time flies). “Yo Tommy, I have a job for you!”, “It's time for the Lance Vance Dance!”, “You got big cojones amigo” wink Remember that mission where you have to fly a remote controlled toy helicopter from a van to drop explosives in a construction site while some idiyats keep shooting the heli? Insane! I must have done that thing over 20-30 times before I finally succeeded. Then I learned the cheats, pull all the cops; SWAT, black suits and helicopter included at 5 stars heat, type BIG BANG and watch the fireworks cheesy And then there's CoD and Hitman and...let me just keep quiet before the non gamers would tell me to shut up and get a life lol We, gamers, decided to live multiple lives smiley

I use to be afraid of going to the library to study for a big test or exam. I just can't fight the tempation - the old dusty books of the psychology and literature section held me spellbound, calling me by name, beckoning me from their cobweb ridden selves to come and open them and run my fingers through their touch esurient pages, relishing their content. How could I say no? My study buddies just couldn't understand my love affair with the ancient books that defied the fear of test and exam, quite frankly neither did I.

About my moniker, Xcapist is Escapist [is'key-pist]: (noun) A person who; to avoid, deny, forget about reality, escapes into a world of fantasy. It's for the little daydreamer in me who, as a coping mechanism for sailing through a peculiar toddlerhood, developed such elaborate imaginative worlds. And when, I was encountering some serious faith related issues awhile back, I found myself looking for that little kid and his perfect little world. And when NL requested for a username I just typed that...and regretted afterwards because it sounds like Ex-Rap!st. sad lol
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 19, 2014
What do we do in this space?

Drop epistles? undecided
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 19, 2014
AirborneLacer: What do we do in this space?

Drop epistles? undecided

Abeg no mind us jare. Just scroll pass. MizMyColi, hope we have your permission?
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
Xcapist:

Abeg no mind us jare.

No qualms mate.

Seeing you're a footie fan, I was going to invite you over for us to see a game this weekend.

But I'm just scared, I'm scared your presence might set the pub's long serving decoder ablaze cheesy
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 19, 2014
AirborneLacer:

No qualms mate.

Seeing you're a footie fan, I was going to invite you over for us to see a game this weekend.

But I'm just scared, I'm scared your presence might set the pub's long serving decoder ablaze cheesy

Lwkmd! Abi?
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 11:07pm On Sep 19, 2014
Xcapist:

Abeg no mind us jare. Just scroll pass. MizMy Coli, hope we have your permission?

Like totally, yeah! cheesy

I enjoy watching you guys converse wink
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
Xcapist:

Lwkmd! Abi?

Not really my assertion.

Just using your confession against you cheesy

You play football?

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 19, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Not really my assertion.

Just using your confession against you cheesy

You play football?

Touché. smiley

Use to, not anymore.

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
Xcapist:

Touché. smiley

Use to, not anymore.

Who didn't? cheesy

Even the folks who were heavenly horrendous at kicking the round leather game back then would today present a claim like this ''I used to be better than Messi - Education is the way Jare'' grin cheesy

Well, I'm still very much active in the game - not a pro though.

My favourite activity has got to be manning the centre-back position cheesy

Why do I keep having this feelings that you were a goalie? tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 11:45pm On Sep 19, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Who didn't? cheesy

Even the folks who were heavenly horrendous at kicking the round leather game back then would today present a claim like this ''I used to be better than Messi - Education is the way Jare'' grin cheesy

Well, I'm still very much active in the game - not a pro though.

My favourite activity has got to be manning the centre-back position cheesy

Why do I keep having this feelings that you were a goalie? tongue

Lol. Believe me when I tell that I was better than Messi. *laughs at own joke* Coincidentally, I also played central defence tongue

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 20, 2014
Xcapist:

Lol. Believe me when I tell that I was better than Messi. *laughs at own joke* Coincidentally, I also played central defence tongue

Hehe

I dread pacey forwards and the buffy ones too - doesn't necessarily mean I occassionally get run ragged by them cheesy

I'm 2inches shy of 6ft, so I'm not really the best in aerial duels but I try to give my best.

No def has got the kinda foot-work I possess, used to be a winger actually untill I got shoe-horned into the back-line. I'm also great with tackles and interceptions cheesy

Oya analyse your flaws & strengths.

2 Likes

Re: The Forte by DAvIt0(m): 12:27am On Sep 20, 2014
The Forte! The Forte!! The Forte!!!

1 Like

Re: The Forte by DAvIt0(m): 12:34am On Sep 20, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Hehe

I dread pacey forwards and the buffy ones too - doesn't necessarily mean I occassionally get run ragged by them cheesy

I'm 2inches shy of 6ft, so I'm not really the best in aerial duels but I try to give my best.

No def has got the kinda foot-work I possess, used to be a winger actually untill I got shoe-horned into the back-line. I'm also great with tackles and interceptions cheesy

Oya analyse your flaws & strengths.

All this ticker you and Mr. xcapist are ranting bout --> "Story for the gods"

It's not you guys turf anymore... So Keep Calm and Watch Messi/Suarez/Ronaldo and Learn, or try rekindling the spirit.

2 Likes

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 12:39am On Sep 20, 2014
DAvIt0:

All this ticker you and Mr. xcapist are ranting bout --> "Story for the gods"

It's not you guys turf anymore... So Keep Calm and Watch Messi/Suarez/Ronaldo and Learn, or try rekindling the spirit.

Pfft!

Don't mistake me for a pot-bellied 'once-upon-a-time' soccer player who's living in past glories cheesy

I'm still very young to delve into football and make the best outta it If I wish.

I settled for something else - Priorities change.

2 Likes

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 1:04am On Sep 20, 2014
MizMyColi:

But then.

Besides, who knows!

She's richer, so?
or

It is what it is.

shocked shocked shocked

I don't know much about this Seun guy other than he created NL, has a baby face and...that's all I guess, neither have I been on Nairaland long enough to understand it's intricate culture and history (at least, that's how I see it), and I have not seen the said counter thread, so anything I say would be, at best, speculative but I'll still drop my twopence sha.

If there's a striking difference between the earnings of Seun and Linda, I'd attribute it to the revenue generation model each opted for. It all boils down to the tiny detail of how each single kobo is made. Mind you, traffic doesn't necessarily equal money. Linda's blog is powered by Google's technology and she most probably uses Google AdSense to get paid, in other words Google pays her to place other people's ads on her blog (these other people, like Konga, dealdey, Kaymu etc pay Google in turn). Seun on the other hand, collects money from NL users who want to place adverts in a more direct manner. Now tell me how many NL users place adverts? Have you ever placed an ad? Neither have I. And while Mr. Seun might have to pay running costs, servers, maintenance, time, etc, all Linda has to do is keep gossiping.

I feel Seun has grown complacent, I mean look at the interface for Christ sake. It was the only reason I didn't join NL years earlier. There are better forum software programs with glazing graphics facade and modern features instead of this basic HTML/CSS design that looks like something that was created just for fun without any hope that it'll blow one day, missing many features that you'd expect a modern web app to have like callbacks to allow you to submit data or do actions without reloading the entire page. Well, it has blown and it still looks like a pet project. I know that may sound trivial since we still have basic functionalities but we have to remember that "the way you look is how you'll be addressed". The world has moved on and NL, Nigeria's most visited website once upon a time, is lagging behind.

These may all be because he's being mightily frugal with the server resources but how many times have I been delayed when I want to make a post because "our servers are busy" and asked to wait for minutes? Has it happened to you too? What is he being frugal for if he doesn't even pay the very people that uphold order on his forum? If NL isn't profitable then he should consider allowing investors in, brainstorm and come up with more creative ways to effectively convert the site's popularity in to revenue and he should recruit a small army of young and smart Nigerian techheads to reinvent the site's sight and feel and subsequent maintenance and full time mods to enforce order... or do you think Facebook, Google and Apple would be where they are today if they had remained a one man show (two men in the two latter instances).

If I owned NL I for don sellam start to dey build another better more challenging thing from the scratch. I'll apply all the lessons learned from this one so that next thing will be even more outstanding.

1 Like

Re: The Forte by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 20, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Pfft!

Don't mistake me for a pot-bellied 'once-upon-a-time' soccer player who's living in past glories cheesy

I'm still very young to delve into football and make the best outta it If I wish.

I settled for something else - Priorities change.

Hahaha! I no fi shout! I believe you sha.

Strengths:
Strong and fast.

Weakness:
Height. But it's not like it's basket ball, sooooo

1 Like

Re: The Forte by beejaymoore(m): 1:13am On Sep 20, 2014
awake ?
Re: The Forte by MizMyColi(f): 6:56am On Sep 20, 2014

LoL

Reading your posts make me laugh.
Good Morning all, Happy weekend grin

@Xcapist, I couldn't fault zilch in your post, save for the interface part.
I think it's MB friendly, but then, there's room for improvement.

@DavIto Welcome. You should come around more oft.

@Goofyone grin Ich Wunsche cheesy

@AirborneLacer So good to finally have you here. Welcome.

@Chibwike you went AWOL

@ beejaymoore We're awake now smiley
Re: The Forte by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 20, 2014
MizMyColi:
LoL

Reading your posts make me laugh.
Good Morning all, Happy weekend grin

@Xcapist, I couldn't fault zilch in your post, save for the interface part.
I think it's MB friendly, but then, there's room for improvement.
True. I vote for MB friendly over aesthetics. I think the guy is trying o. Thank god for NL, facilitating interesting conversations since 2005 smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

February Born ''the LUV Month'' Lets Meet Here / People Who Should Be Twins On Romance Section / My Friend Is In Love With Paddy Adenuga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.