Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,661 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? (35786 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Who Goes For Omugo 1st. / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by shabbey09: 10:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
Well, I will say it depends!! Personally I would rather have my motherinlaw around coz she's warm and very patient.infact, she came for both my kids omugwos cause If my mum came we would fight most of the time; the little time she spent after my motherinlaw left she will do the direct opposite of what I want and tell me that's how she raised me, but my MIL never does that, and yeah she presses me with hot water and gives me all the attention and care I need. She's just an exceptional woman and I'm so blessed to have her.

So, it should depend on the lady and the circumstances!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Abuloma80(f): 10:34pm On Sep 07, 2014
This morning (7th Sept): BOKO HARAM have finally surfaced at Michika (200km from Bama). Yes Boko Boys are now at Michika. The army kept at Gulak to see that Boko Boys don't go beyond Gulak fled away. That paved way for Boko Boys to pass Gulak and invade Michika. On reaching Michika they hoisted their flags and continue with their business for the day. They finally captured Michika while the military retreated to Maraba near Mubi, so as to prevent BH entering Mubi their next target. No time for pictures.

It started yesterday with Boko Boys sending the army out of Gulak and Michika. The residents followed suit, seeing soldiers running away from Boko Boys. From this morning to this time Boko Boys are doing their unimaginable havoc. First firing and bombing houses, close range shooting and slaughtering innocent people, breaking and looting warehouses and shops. Able body and young ladies are forcefully taken away. The rest are more horrific.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 10:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

your are missing the half of the picture you would be more comfortable with your mum but you aint the one who needs nursing or help but the wife, therefore her mum is the best option to take care of her, while yourself you continue your chores as a man, where i came from, zimbabwe we have something similar, half way through her 1st pregancy a ceremony is done taking the daughter in law back to her parents untill she gives birth and sort of recovered to be able to do the house chores

the reason are many will list a few

1 some family have rituals they do while a daughter is pregnant, going back during that period gives the family to do such things
2 some women turn to be nasty and rude while pregnant the best person to deal with such mood swings is her mum
3 the best person to teach you a new role is someone you have known and trusted in this case it would be the wife's mum, how to bath the child, nursing her wounds etc and all this would be at her mums place, roughly the place she grow up at mentally it helps her
3 after birth her mum will take care of her and the baby untill she recovers and then the goes back to her husband

"as a man, i will be more comfortable having my Mum around" the question is, is it you or wife you needs the most help? and even if what you who has been operated your mum is not the best option either

to avoid all these wife and husband need to plan things i.e hubby take time off from work and help your wife, just forget your mum or her mum do it yourself
ok sire. Duly observed. Though i only meant if tradition Where to be bypassed. But ur own culture strong ooo.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by EMMABC1(m): 10:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
yuzjet: If common sense do exists between the two mothers, they should be able to choose between themselves.

But with African/Nigerian mentality, common sense might be hard to be used in this scenario. Its both mothers responsibilities though.

Btw, I first thought "omugo" (Silly Person) is what OP was referring to. To a lame man, omugo could also means eniti o go in Yoruba i.e. A Silly Person. grin

Or did I got it wrong?
Now let me correct both u and d Op. It is 'Omugwo' ( exclusively Igbo ) and NOT 'Omugo' unless d op meant another thing in another language.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by yuzjet(m): 10:44pm On Sep 07, 2014
EMMABC1:
Now let me correct both u and d Op. It is 'Omugwo' ( exclusively Igbo ) and NOT 'Omugo' unless d op meant another thing in another language.

Aiit den, thanks for d correction. Even though, I didn't know d word is an igbo word in the first place!
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Sammyblaq(m): 10:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
no arguement here....igbo custom calls for the wives' mum. In an unavailability state(not strong, late..) the other takes up. I ve a scene that the both are motherless, a sister took up the role. Simple!
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Kelly32: 10:48pm On Sep 07, 2014
Funny, there are certain values that we eschew highly in Africa that makes things a bit difficult for young couples. An example is this OMUGO. when these in-laws (with there attitude issues)come to claim there so called right during OMUGO, these young couples bear the brunt of there presence and when you respond to there inconsiderate actions, meaning are quickly read to your response, thereby making an already challenging marriage unbearable. I wish couples can just enjoy a certain level of freedom from these chains called TRADITION (OMUGO) and decide for themselves what they want.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by chidexy(m): 10:55pm On Sep 07, 2014
Omugwo is a cultural thing and is regulated culturally. In my part of Igboland, the wife's mother is traditionally obligated to go for Omugwo for the first child. The MiL (the man's mother) gets to go first when the second child arrives. There are always cases where the girl's mother is not disposed (where her other daughter has had a baby recently and she's "omugworing" already) in such cases, the man's mother goes first
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
UniqueGem: ok sire. Duly observed. Though i only meant if tradition Where to be bypassed. But ur own culture strong ooo.

even if tradition would be bypassed, if you think deeply your not comfortable to your mum in law in the first few yours of marriage right! then what makes you think your wife would very comfortable to your mum especially when she is in such a condition healing scars and the new baby ?

common sense tells you that her mum or someone she grow up with

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by sage2(m): 11:02pm On Sep 07, 2014
I think it all depends on family professional, social and financial status. You don't expect a billionaire mother to leave her palacial mansion with all her galaxy of staff for an omugwo in one small boy's house, do you? Or do you expect mama peace(PEJ) to leave Aso Rock for omugwo when her recently married daughter give birth?
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by nikky341: 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2014
UniqueGem: Read again. I clearly stated that a man has to give up his opinion if he wants his wife to be happy. Moreover all this can be settled if the two parents where around.

Ok.
I just think the first time needs to be handled delicately
I witnessed my best friend who I went to visit 2 days after giving birth and saw her down stairs fetching water by the well. I quickly rushed and carried the water For her, imagine my surprise when I reached her flat upstairs and saw her mother inlaw and sister inlaw in the sitting room watching film. I assumed they did not know when she went to fetch water. When I used long throat to ask her for my share of pepper soup she told me that she hadn't been able to go to market. Na so I start work no pat omogwu, the mother in law will birth the baby and carry the baby during the day. I had to go in the morning and sweep and wash clothes, go to market and cook, lunch for 3 and dinner for 4 plus pepper soup before I go home . I did this for 3 weeks before I started work by then she was able to adjust. The husband tried thanking me with money but I refused while explaining to him it's his wives rite and since no one was doing it I had to step in, he did not understand and cording to my friend he asked an Elder in the church who schooled him. By the second baby his mom came but her mom was there before the birth so it was so much better.
There was so much tension that it nearly ruined her relationship with her in laws. I just had to step in. Thank God for a neibour that was a nurse who helped with the nursing of her wound.
I never blamed the man's mom as she was elderly and did what she could but the sister?

6 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 07, 2014
datalossvictim1: angry I'm the one mcheew

Why are you frowning tongue
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 11:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

even if tradition would be bypassed, if you think deeply your not comfortable to your mum in law in the first few yours of marriage right! then what makes you think your wife would very comfortable to your mum especially when she is in such a condition healing scars and the new baby ?

common sense tells you that her mum or someone she grow up with
Like i said earlier, we just have to give in to some things for Everyone's good.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by atease7irorun: 11:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
The wyf's mum shud com ova first. She wil be able to tk gud kia of her daughtr n grndchild. Shikena
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 11:14pm On Sep 07, 2014
nikky341:
Ok.
I witnessed my best friend who I went to visit 2 days after giving birth and saw her down stairs fetching water by the well. I quickly rushed and carried the water For her, imagine my surprise when I reached her flat upstairs and saw her mother inlaw and sister inlaw in the sitting room watching film. I assumed they did not know when she went to fetch water. When I used long throat to ask her for my share of pepper soup she told me that she hadn't been able to go to market. Na so I start work no pat omogwu, the mother in law will birth the baby and carry the baby during the day. I had to go in the morning and sweep and wash clothes, go to market and cook, lunch for 3 and dinner for 4 plus pepper soup before I go home . I did this for 3 weeks before I started work by then she was able to adjust. The husband tried thanking me with money but I refused while explaining to him it's his wives rite and since no one was doing it I had to step in, he did not understand and cording to my friend he asked an Elder in the church who schooled him. By the second baby his mom came but her mom was there before the birth so it was so much better.
There was so much tension that it nearly ruined her relationship with her in laws. I just had to step in. Thank God for a neibour that was a nurse who helped with the nursing of her wound.
I never blamed the man's mom as she was elderly and did what she could but the sister?
Hmmm, this ur frnds mother and sister inlaw are really sumtin else ooo.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 11:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
sage2: I think it all depends on family professional, social and financial status. You don't expect a billionaire mother to leave her palacial mansion with all her galaxy of staff for an omugwo in one small boy's house, do you? Or do you expect mama peace(PEJ) to leave Aso Rock for omugwo when her recently married daughter give birth?
You really don't know beyond what u watch on TV's do you?
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
nikky341:
Ok.

as much tradition is followed and respected some man need to change

help your wife, than just waiting for your mum or her mum,its your damn wife, even if the role you would be doing at that time is female one do it and if any ask why are you doing it, tell them straight my wife just gave birth and i have took over her roles as she needs to heal

its your wife no one will say its wrong, thats marriage thats what a husband should do for his wife and you shouldnt be ashamed to do it for your wife

these mums in laws they put stress to newly weds

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Alexk2(m): 11:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by sage2(m): 11:28pm On Sep 07, 2014
UniqueGem: You really don't know beyond what u watch on TV's do you?

Who watches TV when we have the internet? I have no TV to watch.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by IYANGBALI: 11:36pm On Sep 07, 2014
Eyi to ba go ju ninu won ni now,afterall it is omu go
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by kingskiddie: 11:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
Exactly...wen I ad my baby, my mum dint av tym to cum around o. My hubby had to go drop me at her place....mothers of nowadays dnt even av time for the omugwo sef. They are bizy chasing money.
ferdimako:
Nobody shows up in my house! Current trend only few dare! That thing is for idle mothers...busy ones bring the daughter and kid to their homes. Change ur mentality.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by rezzy: 11:57pm On Sep 07, 2014
This has been on my mind for a while. My MIL has been telling me how she will come and spend holiday with me when i give birth. She is yoruba and im isoko. She cant prepare our native food only amala and yoruba soup which i dont fancy and she is always telling me about 'agbo'. I would prefer my mummy to come because she knows how to press and flatten ur tummy after childbirth.

My husband refuses to discuss d issue with me, he said till that time when i give birth.

With ur mummy around, u can discuss anything with her. You can send her on an errand,
u can query the way she does things,
you can say mummy no black my pot oo,
you wan wound me,the hot water too hot,
this pepper soup no sweet
help me wash my pant.

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Kelly32: 11:57pm On Sep 07, 2014
Kelly32: Funny, there are certain values that we eschew highly in Africa that makes things a bit difficult for young couples. An example is this OMUGO. when these in-laws (with there attitude issues)come to claim there so called right during OMUGO, these young couples bear the brunt of there presence and when you respond to there inconsiderate actions, meaning are quickly read to your response, thereby making an already challenging marriage unbearable. I wish couples can just enjoy a certain level of freedom from these chains called TRADITION (OMUGO) and decide for themselves what they want.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by 100Cents: 12:03am On Sep 08, 2014
yuzjet: If common sense do exists between the two mothers, they should be able to choose between themselves.

But with African/Nigerian mentality, common sense might be hard to be used in this scenario. Its both mothers responsibilities though.

Btw, I first thought "omugo" (Silly Person) is what OP was referring to. To a lame man, omugo could also means eniti o go in Yoruba i.e. A Silly Person. grin

Or did I got it wrong?

Is this English or Yoruba ?
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by yuzjet(m): 12:07am On Sep 08, 2014
100Cents:

Is this English or Yoruba ?

None mentioned..... Its Zulu!
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by hensben(m): 12:27am On Sep 08, 2014
teeboo:

grin grin some MIL can be terrible
you are trying to paint MIL bad now
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Octaves(m): 12:40am On Sep 08, 2014
Traditionally, it's the mother of the new mother unless in special circumstances, then the sister, MIL, aunt etc may come
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by supperpaintsUSA(m): 2:16am On Sep 08, 2014
Culture that brought it demands that wife's mother comes for omugo not man's mother,we should look at it from the original the man's mother is in the house already and always not a visitor,it is the wife's mother that visit and that visit of mother-in-law when her daughter gives birth is called omugo but nowadays because we live in the city away from home; the man's mother still from the origin suppose carry her grandchild first before wife's mother therefore when a child is born the man's mother quickly visit to take care of things for her daughter in law while the wife's mother will be traditional inform and she will prepare and come for omugo.originally the man's mother don't go omugo.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 08, 2014
5minsmadness: For goodness sake it doesn't matter!

But for ease of comfort, wife's mother should come first. Husband's mother can come and visit for a while day if she likes.
Shikena!

These are the kind of things that hold us back as a nation from developing.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 08, 2014
It is omugwo not omugo

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Things You Can Learn From My Mum's Death. / Nigerian Husband Brutalizes His Pretty Wife As She Seeks For Divorce. Photos / The Kind Of List We Give Men, Women Are Meant To Be Rolling During Wedding- Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.