Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? (35842 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Who Goes For Omugo 1st. / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2014
Unionised: You want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, abi?

Common sense requires that the woman's mother show up immediately to take charge.

In the event that she is unable to, for whatever reason, then the baton naturally falls to the man's mum.

It's not a competition...
You've said it all.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Cotton(m): 9:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
Traditionally by Igbo customs, it's the father's mother that goes first. Modern day practice however has changed that and for reasons earlier adduced in this thread, especially with the new mother being more comfortable with her own mum, the wife's mother comes first.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by HOTARIO(m): 9:15pm On Sep 07, 2014
The popular view tilts in favour of wife's momma 1st before the husband's mum. Sometimes not so easy to schedule and requires diplomacy.

I always find it amusing when the ladies raise MIL issues because soon they have sons and become the MIL and act like the MIL they didnt like. *lol*

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
I think i'll feel comfortable with my mom than my MIL because i'm the lazy type aka alapa ike. Buh as I no come get mama again, Mother In Law gats love me for you I am o grin grin
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by soulglo: 9:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
Do what works for the family. The wife is likely the primary caregiver so it should be her call. I can wake up in the morning and put my child in my mothers arms and tell her not to call my name until the baby is hungry. I can tell my mom that I don't like what she cooked or that I want a particular soup she cooked fir me when I was a child. I can tell my mom that I only need her to keep my household clean and running smoothly while my main focus is the new born. Sometimes even any of these simple things could result in in laws calling for one of those directionless family meetings because someone has been disrespected. A new mother needs none of this stress. I have seen breast milk dry up because of stress grin. Let the couple decide and let everyone respect their decision

12 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
Amusaopeyemi: I think i'll feel comfortable with my mom than my MIL because i'm the lazy type aka alapa ike. Buh as I no come get mama again, Mother In Law gats love me for you I am o grin grin. I'll even allow her breast feed the baby sef afterall na her son pikin.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Dieumerci(m): 9:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
But you are wrong, sir. Just a way of putting it clear that the husband's mother does not go for omugwo.
UniqueGem: You sound eager and ready to push ur mother aside.

4 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Bwhyflowz(m): 9:19pm On Sep 07, 2014

Common sense requires that the woman's mother show up immediately to take charge.

In the event that she is unable to, for whatever reason, then the baton naturally falls to the man's mum.

and do you think the man's mum will prefer to stay at home and watch superstory/africa magic on tv when her son's wife gave birth(therbey making her a Grandmother),she will naturally be elated and prefer to spend quality time with the Baby.
I would say let the both of them come(double blessing noni!) and make sure they don't misbehave,moreover not every mother-in-law behave badly.
SWEETEST ENGLISH WORD-MOTHER
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by timsbee(f): 9:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
I prefer to DO IT MY SELF....

My mum is very troublesome so am not comfy around her atall. But on the contrary, MIL is very understanding nd caring(i guess dats individual differences)...
I prefer Mil but for my first nd second kid, my mum came nd after naming, i send her back
NB:
dis omugwo dey are shouting especially dose wife mothers, na d hollandies or real nigerian wax nd 30k wey dem wan collect afta d show na im dey make dem compete for d person who wan com siddan.

So IMO, just go after namin.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by AmNotDrunk(m): 9:26pm On Sep 07, 2014
For some odd reasons I think it should be the wife's mom that do that (for maybe 2-3 months) till she's fully fit.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:26pm On Sep 07, 2014
It'll be the husband bcoz he is still a JJC but not with the 419 squad.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 07, 2014
What will then happen if the wife is igbo and the husband yoruba?
vitalclues: I think its more of culture dependent. For the Yoruba's the man's mum is the right person to be there according to their tradition while for the Igbo's the woman's mum.

5 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 9:31pm On Sep 07, 2014
Okay the truth here (tradition aside): as a man, i will be more comfortable having my Mum around while my wife would undoubtedly be more comfortable having her own mother around. But in life, especially family matter, the male's are always subjected to giving up their opinion for the wife's just for her to be happy. So this leaves the man with no choice than allowing the wife's mother to take charge. I remember When my mum had our last born, my maternal and paternal grandparents both came and everyone was happy, though in such case, the husband must be financially balanced, which is exactly what i'll do when i get married because i really want my mother to be with my kid from the onset. As for the poster that said if the wife's mother is dead, den the wife's sister or any chosen representative frm the wifes family should take charge: This is a BIG NO for me. If the wife's mother is late, then the man's mother should be fully in charge. Any rep from the wife's side should be visiting and nothing more.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by fairheven: 9:34pm On Sep 07, 2014

God bless!but u know that common sense os not so common,naturally any nursing mother will like to have her biological mother stay with her for "omugo,"because she is more intimate an familiar with her..so I font know wt the fuss is about.let's ask any lady in the house-who do u "bond"with the most,ur biological mother or ur mother inlaw?ka chineke mezio okwu! cool

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by nikky341: 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2014
Omugwo is an Igbo custom that celebrates motherhood, it's usually observed by women of both families, the woman's mother come before or after the birth of the baby. It is a way of easing the new mother to motherhood. Traditionally the ladies mother comes first. If her mother is late any woman the lady is comfortable with in her family will come. At this stage the omogwu is more like having a house help cos ur mom will clean, cook,for the house, bath and look after the baby while u recover from child birth and learn how to take care of a baby .
The mans mother comes to "stay" after the girls mom has gone but if they live in the same town the man's mother can pop in and out.

4 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by bigtt76(f): 9:41pm On Sep 07, 2014
In this time and age of boku chat tools ...ping the man's mother with the baby's first pix and invite the woman's mother jooor. Gone are those days of MTN's mama na boy oooo! Now mama gets to see the baby on Facebook or 2go whichever one she indulges in case close grin

korel9:

So you think the typical Nigerian mother will take it in good faith when she's told she has to wait for at least three weeks before seeing her FIRST grandchild that she's waited for for years knowing fully well that her inlaw is there with the child?

I don't think so undecided
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
bigtt76: In this time and age of boku chat tools ...ping the man's mother with the baby's first pix and invite the woman's mother jooor. Gone are those days of MTN's mama na boy oooo! Now mama gets to see the baby on Facebook or 2go whichever one she indulges in case close grin

lol!! I heard the women charged MTN for that advert.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by nikky341: 9:47pm On Sep 07, 2014
UniqueGem: Okay the truth here (tradition aside): as a man, i will be more comfortable having my Mum around while my wife would undoubtedly be more comfortable having her own mother around. But in life, especially family matter, the male's are always subjected to giving up their opinion for the wife's just for her to be happy. So this leaves the man with no choice than allowing the wife's mother to take charge. I remember When my mum had our last born, my maternal and paternal grandparents both came and everyone was happy, though in such case, the husband must be financially balanced, which is exactly what i'll do when i get married because i really want my mother to be with my kid from the onset. As for the poster that said if the wife's mother is dead, den the wife's sister or any chosen representative frm the wifes family should take charge: This is a BIG NO for me. If the wife's mother is late, then the man's mother should be fully in charge. Any rep from the wife's side should be visiting and nothing more.

At the end of the day u have to ask yourself some questions
1) will your wife be comfortable with your mom helping her with her bath as per hot water massages
2)will your wife be comfortable with sending your mom to the market and telling her what to cook
3) will she be comfortable with waking ur mom from a deep sleep late in the nite to carry the baby cos she is really tired and can do with a break.
Omogwu is not just going to stay it's more like providing the new mom with support . It's not about who u the man is more comfortable with it's more about who your wife is more comfortable with , who will guide her in this new faze of her life

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by fairheven: 9:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
Ifewilshere: But wait o. If the two g.m's are late nko, won't d new couple find a way to do their 'omógo' ni? So, when I get married and have pikins, I'll just pretend they are both late and face d omugwo.

Dnt insult me please. Na my opinion. Lyk my friend rightly said, 'am not drunk'

*smiles
Yea,my friend is currently in such situation,both mothers are late,so it's the man's sister that is doing the omugo,and it cud as well have been the wife's own sister,but the reason they wen for the man's sister is because of experience cool
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Dieumerci(m): 9:54pm On Sep 07, 2014
For the fact that the Op used the word "omugo" ,then you can't push tradition aside and there's no other truth to be told here. Omugwo is well rooted in Igbo tradition and it's the wife's mum that goes for it.
UniqueGem: Okay the truth here (tradition aside): as a man, i will be more comfortable having my Mum around while my wife would undoubtedly be more comfortable having her own mother around. But in life, especially family matter, the male's are always subjected to giving up their opinion for the wife's just for her to be happy. So this leaves the man with no choice than allowing the wife's mother to take charge. I remember When my mum had our last born, my maternal and paternal grandparents both came and everyone was happy, though in such case, the husband must be financially balanced, which is exactly what i'll do when i get married because i really want my mother to be with my kid from the onset. As for the poster that said if the wife's mother is dead, den the wife's sister or any chosen representative frm the wifes family should take charge: This is a BIG NO for me. If the wife's mother is late, then the man's mother should be fully in charge. Any rep from the wife's side should be visiting and nothing more.

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by fairheven: 9:57pm On Sep 07, 2014
UniqueGem: lol!! I heard the women charged MTN for that advert.
I wonder y they shud charge MTN,they had another advert that featured a baby girl,an men did not complain.na wa o cool
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 9:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
nikky341:
At the end of the day u have to ask yourself some questions
1) will your wife be comfortable with your mom helping her with her bath as per hot water massages
2)will your wife be comfortable with sending your mom to the market and telling her what to cook
3) will she be comfortable with waking ur mom from a deep sleep late in the nite to carry the baby cos she is really tired and can do with a break.
Omogwu is not just going to stay it's more like providing the new mom with support . It's not about who u the man is more comfortable with it's more about who your wife is more comfortable with , who will guide her in this new faze of her life
Read again. I clearly stated that a man has to give up his opinion if he wants his wife to be happy. Moreover all this can be settled if the two parents where around.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
fairheven:
I wonder y they shud charge MTN,they had another advert that featured a baby girl,an men did not complain.na wa o cool
They complained becos they are "WOMEN" .
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
fairheven:
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Ifewilshere(m): 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
fairheven:
Yea,my friend is currently in such situation,both mothers are late,so it's the man's sister that is doing the omugo,and it cud as well have been the wife's own sister,but the reason they wen for the man's sister is because of experience cool
hmn! That will be cool if the sister and the new mother are cool together. Moreover, dis mata no be my headache nau! Make I jux dy observe.
*smiles*
tnx 4 ur throwing more light.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 10:04pm On Sep 07, 2014
Dieumerci: For the fact that the Op used the word "omugo" ,then you can't push tradition aside and there's no other truth to be told here. Omugwo is well rooted in Igbo tradition and it's the wife's mum that goes for it.
Seriously u don't sound as if u want ur mum anywhere around. If u may know: I don't care what tradition has to say when it cums to my mum. I don't joke with her pls. Okay lemme ask you; what will u do if ur mum insists she must come for ur omugwo? Will u give her up just for tradition?
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by philclem(m): 10:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
angry what's scenario here The guy said it all! The mother of the wife comes first for the Omugwo et al.if the mother of the husband is to come,she's to come to see her grand child and not Omugwo....like he has rightly said,except the wife's mother is not around,that's when the the husbands mother comes for assistance,not actually Omugwo. Can't wait to see my child being bathed by my beautiful in-law smiley
korel9:

Guy study the scenario well using African/Nigerian mentality before jumping into conclusions

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by philclem(m): 10:11pm On Sep 07, 2014
angry what's scenario here The guy said it all! The mother of the wife comes first for the Omugwo et al.if the mother of the husband is to come,she's to come to see her grand child and not Omugwo....like he has rightly said,except the wife's mother is not around,that's when the the husbands mother comes for assistance,not actually Omugwo. Btw,Can't wait to see my child being bathed by my beautiful in-law smiley
korel9:

Guy study the scenario well using African/Nigerian mentality before jumping into conclusions
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:14pm On Sep 07, 2014

your are missing the half of the picture you would be more comfortable with your mum but you aint the one who needs nursing or help but the wife, therefore her mum is the best option to take care of her, while yourself you continue your chores as a man, where i came from, zimbabwe we have something similar, half way through her 1st pregancy a ceremony is done taking the daughter in law back to her parents untill she gives birth and sort of recovered to be able to do the house chores

the reason are many will list a few

1 some family have rituals they do while a daughter is pregnant, going back during that period gives the family to do such things
2 some women turn to be nasty and rude while pregnant the best person to deal with such mood swings is her mum
3 the best person to teach you a new role is someone you have known and trusted in this case it would be the wife's mum, how to bath the child, nursing her wounds etc and all this would be at her mums place, roughly the place she grow up at mentally it helps her
3 after birth her mum will take care of her and the baby untill she recovers and then the goes back to her husband

"as a man, i will be more comfortable having my Mum around" the question is, is it you or wife you needs the most help? and even if what you who has been operated your mum is not the best option either

to avoid all these wife and husband need to plan things i.e hubby take time off from work and help your wife, just forget your mum or her mum do it yourself

5 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
angry I'm the one mcheew
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Praise5: 10:18pm On Sep 07, 2014
UniqueGem: You sound eager and ready to push ur mother aside.
he didn't sound eager to push his mother aside rather his stand is to do that which is right according to his culture. Infact in igboland, in a situation where the wife's mum is late a female family member goes for the omugwo and NEVER the mother inlaw *she is allowed to visit later*

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Praise5: 10:21pm On Sep 07, 2014
Cotton: Traditionally by Igbo customs, it's the father's mother that goes first. Modern day practice however has changed that and for reasons earlier adduced in this thread, especially with the new mother being more comfortable with her own mum, the wife's mother comes first.
God forbid evil! Did you just say Igbo custom? I fear for you!!!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Surprises Her Mother After Years Of Not Seeing Her, She's Her Mom' / Nigerian Couple Welcomes Twins After 27 Years Of Marriage - Pictures / She Lied About Her Sick Mum To Be With Another Man All Through The Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.