Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? (35868 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Who Goes For Omugo 1st. / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by supperpaintsUSA(m): 4:05am On Sep 08, 2014
My view, nowadays people are not defining omugwo well,it is a visit of the mother in law when her daughter give birth not for mother in law when her son bear child.it is cultural, tradition demands when a wife gives birth her mother in law take care of her until her mum is traditionally inform and she will prepare and come for omugwo and we should not be viewing from the city angle but it origin.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by tscent(m): 4:46am On Sep 08, 2014
From my on opinion both mother's should b available. It's not about who comes first. Any body can cum first. But da important fact is dat both da baby n da mother, re been cared for.....
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 5:05am On Sep 08, 2014
The wife's mother in my opinion is.the best person to stay cos she is a more farmiliar and easy companion than the mother in law. (seriously, some mother in laws can be rily annoying and the wife doesnt need such stress). I have seen a case where a woman jst put to bed and the mother in law fought tooth and nail to stay in place of the woman's mother. The mother in law still expected the girl to make her three square meals during d first week she got back from the hospital. A woman doesnt need that kind of stress after childbirth abeg. I am sure her own mom wld nt put her in dt position, rather will take care of her as needed. No one can take care of a child as well as one's own mother

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by liliana(f): 5:57am On Sep 08, 2014
@ poster

Does anyone really need either? Things are changing fast and most mothers or mothers-in-law are quite busy these days by the time they become grandparents for the first time.

Besides, I have my husband with me. He will take care of me with support from both mothers!

My thoughts and opinion!
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by manny4life(m): 5:59am On Sep 08, 2014
Like my mom says, ndi Igbo ahapugo omenani, mewe omenenu...

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by ademoladeji(m): 6:52am On Sep 08, 2014
My argument against the woman's mum to do the 'Omugo'. In a ideal situation, the woman now belongs to the man's family... Except the man's mum/families is/are not God fearing would they have the woman treated unjustly. Moreso, it shldnt be a thing of competition buh in a situation where compromise can't be met, I go comot house for both to be accommodated. Na person go dey take care of the woman, the pikin, the clothes, the FOOD aswel. In fact, I'm CONFUSED sef
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by safeLove(f): 7:08am On Sep 08, 2014
@op,it's called omugwo and not omugo,or omugur or omu ogo.

It's an igbo tradition which involves the mother of a new mother to imidiately go over to take care of the new mother (especially),for at least the first three months after childbirth.

Any igbo family knows that omugwo is not the duty of the husband's mother,that doesn't mean she can't go to see the new mother and her grandchild whenever she wants. But the omugwo roles fall naturally on the wife's mother.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 08, 2014
In my side the husbands' mum comes first sha. Stays briefly, by briefly I mean 2wks, maximum a month, then the wifes' mum,comes and stays the duration agreed. I don't even like the prolonged duration, kinda invades my privacy. undecided
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by omocutie(f): 7:40am On Sep 08, 2014
Please sir let ur wife's mum come first, the husband's mum has a whole lifetime to see the child. At that point a woman needs the care and nurturing of her mum and not the husband's mum, no matter how close she can never b as free as she is with her mum. At least after 2 weeks or more the man's mum can come

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 08, 2014
yuzjet: If common sense do exists between the two mothers, they should be able to choose between themselves.

But with African/Nigerian mentality, common sense might be hard to be used in this scenario. Its both mothers responsibilities though.

Btw, I first thought "omugo" (Silly Person) is what OP was referring to. To a lame man, omugo could also means eniti o go in Yoruba i.e. A Silly Person. grin

Or did I got it wrong?

Omugo/omugwo is an Igbo word meaning..she has delivered or she gave birth..

Among the Igbos,there is no debate and conflict about which of the mothers goes for omugwo/omugwo..
It is done by the lady's mum..simple..if her mum for any reason cldnt make,any of her close female relatives takes the mums place.it cld be her auntie,elder sister or even younger sister in some cases but it MUST be some female relative of the lady.

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 08, 2014
safeLove: @op,it's called omugwo and not omugo,or omugur or omu ogo.

It's an igbo tradition which involves the mother of a new mother to imidiately go over to take care of the new mother (especially),for at least the first three months after childbirth.

Any igbo family knows that omugwo is not the duty of the husband's mother,that doesn't mean she can't go to see the new mother and her grandchild whenever she wants. But the omugwo roles fall naturally on the wife's mother.

1000000 likes...

People don't know their tradition anymore..sad,especially any Igbo person debating this nonsense here.

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by yuzjet(m): 8:09am On Sep 08, 2014
gbosaa:

Omugo/omugwo is an Igbo word meaning..she has delivered or she gave birth..

Among the Igbos,there is no debate and conflict about which of the mothers goes for omugwo/omugwo..
It is done by the lady's mum..simple..if her mum for any reason cldnt make,any of her close female relatives takes the mums place.it cld be her auntie,elder sister or even younger sister in some cases but it MUST be some female relative of the lady.

Thanks for the info! Not an igbo though...

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by tinydev56: 8:17am On Sep 08, 2014
This thread is unnecessary. Biko
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by tutaboi(m): 8:31am On Sep 08, 2014
korel9: To clear the air first, "Omugo" is a 'local' Nigerian tradition where the mother of either the husband or the wife comes over after child birth to take care of both the woman and the baby for a little period of time.

Now to the matter,
A man who happens to be the only child of his parents got married to the woman of his dreams (an only child too).
Both parents are eager to carry their first grand child.
The couple lives in a single room with little or no space to harbour only ONE guest.
The wife just put to bed and both mothers are eager to come for the "omugo".
The question is who comes first and why?
Is it the mother of the husband who will focus more on the child than the wife or the mother of the wife who will be interested in both?
Don't forget that the family of the husband claims ownership of the child in most cultures and the mother of the husband is so desperate to carry her first grandchild.
OMUGO.......is it an English name? if no, kindly tell me the English meaning bro
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 08, 2014
hifaif:

Why are you frowning tongue

Sorry I was knocked out last night. Lol it's the topic undecided
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 08, 2014
datalossvictim1:

Sorry I was knocked out last night. Lol it's the topic undecided

Anyway, I was at your bedside yesterday, so I know. I even gave you a good night kiss. You were so sweet lying down there, sleeping.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 08, 2014
hifaif:

Anyway, I was at your bedside yesterday, so I know. I even gave you a good night kiss. You were so sweet lying down there, sleeping.

Lol hiffy this early. Someone has a stiffy wink anyways let's not derail the thread. smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 08, 2014
datalossvictim1:

Lol hiffy this early. Someone has a stiffy wink anyways let's not derail the thread. smiley

OK, sweetie.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:23am On Sep 08, 2014
Is it a competition? Can't the wife's mother come first, then the husband's mother can follow. At the end of the day, they'll still both get to take care of their first grand child. Why does everything have to be such a hassle with we humans? undecided
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by akiOYIBO: 10:48am On Sep 08, 2014
korel9: To clear the air first, "Omugo" is a 'local' Nigerian tradition where the mother of either the husband or the wife comes over after child birth to take care of both the woman and the baby for a little period of time.
Omugwo is not a local Nigerian tradition. Its exceptionally pertaining to the IGBO culture. Secondly, the issue concerned is never open for debating, in other words; it cannot be opined on since its all about tradition. If u wish to opine about it or you think its no longer suitable for some reasons then the necessary body will have to do that not social network.
When u realise, with respect to above topic how incompetent the thread is,I should be rest assured that u make amendments. Only then it will behove me to tell what the IGBO traditon says about Omugwo......
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 08, 2014
Knowing the igbo origins of omugwo. I would say whose mum comes first depends on if the nursing mum is in Nigeria or Abroad. If abroad then the dad's mum should go since he is paying for the bills grin angry
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by feedthenation(m): 3:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
I think the wife's mother should come first, as it will be easier for the wife to relate and overcome any post pregnancy issues.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2014
Omugo cool cool cool
simply means someone is Foolish

(in yoruba)
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by tonychristopher: 5:47pm On Sep 08, 2014
korel9:

Guy study the scenario well using African/Nigerian mentality before jumping into conclusions

IT IS YOU THAT LACK THE ABILITY TO DECIPHER, OMUGWO IS AN IGBO CULTURE AND THE MOTHER OF THE GIRL OR WIFE IS THE PERSON THAT GOES TO OMUGWU, PEOPLE SHOULD STOP TURNING OUR CULTURE UPSIDE DOWN, YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE GOING TO VILLAGE TO UNDERSTAND THE BEAUTY OF IGBO CULTURE, NO OTHER CULTURE CAN COMPETE WITH IT IN AFRICA.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by FADEO: 7:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
emeraldoe: I av 2 kids now and my mum did d 'omugo'. D mother to d lady shud come first cos she'll b more comfortable with her mum than MIL. After avin my 1st, my mum was with me for 2wks and I was well taken care of; then my MIL came into d picture. Hmmm didn't find it funny @ all. I virtually cooked myself( cos I didn't like d way she was preparing d meals), had to clean my baby up wen she is tru cos I wasn't comfortable with d way she does her tins. Infact, she even told me herself dat we do tins d modern way n dat she doesn't understand our pattern. For my 2nd, she didn't even bother comin. But she is really nice and carin.
My dear am so sorry to say this. You have a serious problem that will soon escalate. Better change before its too late.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by emeraldoe(f): 7:44pm On Sep 08, 2014
FADEO:
My dear am so sorry to say this. You have a serious problem that will soon escalate. Better change before its too late.
are u okay? U are the one with a serious problem esp with ur brain. What is wrong with not liking d food someone else prepares. Pls Jst maintain ur lane. I shud change from what to what?

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by FADEO: 8:05pm On Sep 08, 2014
emeraldoe: are u okay? U are the one with a serious problem esp with ur brain. What is wrong with not liking d food someone else prepares. Pls Jst maintain ur lane. I shud change from what to what?
Lol.... Its obvious. U dont like anything done by your MIL. You were even happy she did nt come for the second. So u should change into liking her otherwise your DIL will do same to you. Some one already told you that you are evil. I wont say u are evil because there is nothing evil about it but u have a seious issue judging with the way you replied. Na so ur MIL cook for your husby till he fresh and u marry am. Madam get a change of attitude to you MIL
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by louisv(m): 8:17pm On Sep 08, 2014
Unionised:

Sir, seeing the child and staying to care for the new born ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

You DEVIATE...
Smart!!!!!!
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by emeraldoe(f): 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2014
FADEO:
Lol.... Its obvious. U dont like anything done by your MIL. You were even happy she did nt come for the second. So u should change into liking her otherwise your DIL will do same to you. Some one already told you that you are evil. I wont say u are evil because there is nothing evil about it but u have a seious issue judging with the way you replied. Na so ur MIL cook for your husby till he fresh and u marry am. Madam get a change of attitude to you MIL
of course I do like her but I don't like her kind of food cos we r not frm d same state so I don't eat their kind of foodm moreover wen my son gets married and his wife starts bearing children, I won't expect to be d first to go for omugwo. And Yes, I can boldly say I wish to be treated d way I treat my MIL. Cos I adore her and she is equally nice to me too. I prefer doin tins my WAY and if u can't, then don't bother
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by FADEO: 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2014
emeraldoe: of course I do like her but I don't like her kind of food cos we r not frm d same state so I don't eat their kind of foodm moreover wen my son gets married and his wife starts bearing children, I won't expect to be d first to go for omugwo. And Yes, I can boldly say I wish to be treated d way I treat my MIL. Cos I adore her and she is equally nice to me too. I prefer doin tins my WAY and if u can't, then don't bother
Okay madam. I understand u now Judging from your point of view in ur last explanation. If there is a mutual understanding btw u and ur MIL, thats the key. Ur initial post sounded like u dont get along but tolerating her I guess thats why that guy said you are evil. Like I said there is nothing evil about it. I also cant eat my MIL food cos am very selective. That is the way some people are made. God bless you and your kids. Regards to your boys.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by emeraldoe(f): 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2014
FADEO:
Okay madam. I understand u now Judging from your point of view in ur last explanation. If there is a mutual understanding btw u and ur MIL, thats the key. Ur initial post sounded like u dont get along but tolerating her I guess thats why that guy said you are evil. Like I said there is nothing evil about it. I also cant eat my MIL food cos am very selective. That is the way some people are made. God bless you and your kids. Regards to your boys.
okay. God bless u too. I av a boy and girl. Regards to ur family
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by FADEO: 10:01pm On Sep 08, 2014
emeraldoe: okay. God bless u too. I av a boy and girl. Regards to ur family
Your boys.......your husband and your son. I initially said regards to your kids. Lol. Enjoy the rest of your week.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

She Lied About Her Sick Mum To Be With Another Man All Through The Weekend / Father Pretends To Give Toddler Daughter Haircut To Maintain Peace (video) / She Retaliated After Her Husband Cheated, She Is Now Suicidal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.