Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,463 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? (22300 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? / Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
standd: @MatthewBriggs
I created this same topic with my first NL handle. And I'm seeing the same response I got back then.
I think coming from a happy home isn't even enough reasons to want a spouse like ones parent. My dad is a good man but knowing how individuals differ along several aspects, I wouldn't want to marry a man like my dad. With my kinda temperament, marrying a man like my dad will most definitely stress me a lot...

I see ... Very true there are several diverse reasons people will not be willing to get married to someone who share same character traits like their parents and coming from an unhappy home may not be the reason.

Very well said standd. Inbtwn how are you ... hope you're good.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2014
sholasholala:
Why do you want to derail this beautiful thread?

Derail kwanu! shocked
Don't let MatthewBriggs speak English for me oh
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by MadCow1: 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2014
Matthewbriggs: I recently stumbled on a thread that asked the question Why are you single, that got me thinking because I have never give that question any thought. I think the reason was because I am your typical career focused young man who rarely has the time to really invest in a relationship.

Moreover I discovered also one key problem is that I am very picky. I discovered that over the years I had used a certain set of criteria to screen potential love interests criteria that where some how embedded in my subconscious. On a closer look I discovered that these criteria where identical to traits possessed my mum. Moreover it is important to note that these criteria leaned towards character and behavior and less on physical look.

For eg I detested weak women, women who needed to pushed, who cannot take initiative, and clearly do not have a clear plan and focus for life and I find my self turned on by the go getting type of woman, the ones we call strong women. The kind that does not just have the ability to plan but also has the strong will and dedication to execute on them just like or even better than my mum. I might be attracted to a woman but one's I get closer and discover she lacked these attributes no matter how beautiful she is my interest dies automatically

Now back to the purpose of this thread. To you reading this piece Especially if you are already married Did your parents character traits influence your choice of a spouse ... did who they are as an individual define your expectation in regards to your choice of spouse...

#Mathewbriggs

I couldn't have married someone like my mum... Reason; My Mum is a very strong willed woman with serious anger issues (though she has calmed with age).

However, I developed myself to be more like my Dad.. Calm and cool cos though he was married to my sometimes very annoying mum, he never once hit her and I struggle to remember a time if ever when he raised his voice at her or was violent towards her. I chose to be like my dad cos I realized that I wanted an equally strong willed woman like my mum (without the anger) and the only way I could ever live happily with such a woman was to be like my dad..

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2014
Enasco1: will u treat d man d way ur mum treats ur day??
Yes.
It will be a luxury to do so wink
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
didadavid:

It got you, probably because you are just like that to your wife #justsayaing lipsrsealed

It got me”- As used in the sentence, it ironically defines the phrase ‘I'm sadden and moved with pity”.

Now do control that chopper and think before you vomit something senseless as that next time.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
standd:

Derail kwanu! shocked
Don't let MatthewBriggs speak English for me oh
Lol.
He won't just write speak that English in one sentence but in AT LEAST 3 paragraphs. grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by chronique(m): 8:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
Honestly,I wish I'd find a lady who is just like my mum. It would make me so happy. For a long time,I've been looking for qualities my mum has,in ladies that I like but it got to a point where I just had to be realistic about the whole thing. It's obvious I'd never find someone who is exactly like my sweet mum. She's the next thing after God,in my life. She's actually my hero. Loving,hardworking,well mannered,courteous,morally sound,extra pretty,a giver,lover of God and highly spiritual,decent,caring,a great cook and woman with a very good heart,etc. It's rare to find her type in this generation but if I find someone like her,I'd obviously give such a lady,the whole of me. I personally feel my dad didn't deserve someone like her;old gee was just too lucky.

I'd love my wife to be exactly like my mum but unfortunately,such women hardly exist again.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by elari(m): 8:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
sholasholala: I will like to marry a man who will treat me the way my Dad treats my Mum.
. . . Here I am, let's call ourselves dad n mum
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by amadice(m): 9:00pm On Sep 11, 2014
standd: cheesy cheesy

I love my father so much. But I will NOT marry a man like him.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Jimfender(m): 9:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
daben1: she might use the sense on you n your neighbour might have a taste(if u undastand)
My Mom never uses hers on my dad. She sometimes uses it for him.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by amadice(m): 9:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
standd: cheesy cheesy

I love my father so much. But I will NOT marry a man like him.
....i guess bcause he is a womaniser
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I see ... Very true there are several diverse reasons people will not be willing to get married to someone who share same character traits like their parents and coming from an unhappy home may not be the reason.

Very well said standd. Inbtwn how are you ... hope you're good.

Yes! People think because their mum and dad are happy, that they also will be happy in that exact settings. They forget individualism and how characters have to blend to ensure contentment.
My dad hardly talks and I inherited that trait from him. I can not imagine marrying a man that doesn't talk at all, cheiiii! My house will be too quiet for comfort.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 11, 2014
TrollMan:

It got me”- As used in the sentence, it ironically defines the phrase ‘I'm sadden and moved with pity”.

Now do control that chopper and think before you vomit something senseless as this next time.

You just commited a fallacy called argumentum ad hominem. You attacked the person involved and not the topic of discussion.

I used the word "probably" and didnt ascertain that you are like that.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by ceejayluv(m): 9:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
Like my Mum- YES... Like my.Dad??.. Well, I trust my sisters not to make such mistake.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 11, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:11pm On Sep 11, 2014
MadCow1:

I couldn't have married someone like my mum... Reason; My Mum is a very strong willed woman with serious anger issues (though she has calmed with age).

However, I developed myself to be more like my Dad.. Calm and cool cos though he was married to my sometimes very annoying mum, he never once hit her and I struggle to remember a time if ever when he raised his voice at her or was violent towards her. I chose to be like my dad cos I realized that I wanted an equally strong willed woman like my mum (without the anger) and the only way I could ever live happily with such a woman was to be like my dad..

Same here my dad is cool calm and collected. The cool thing is I share both their traits to great degree. With my later siblings either lean to the dad or mum side character wise.

Moreover one thing that fascinates me is that she is bold and daring but has her emotions eg. Anger under check even tho when she is pissed the next moment you both would be gisting like nothing happened.

I think one core thing I like about her is her sense of purpose and the doggedness she uses to achieve that purpose. I find this trait very attractive in a woman. cheesy

My dad basicly helps her refine her focus where neccesary and steps in when she needs help.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 11, 2014
If wishes were horses, I'd be spanking Jonathan right now.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
sholasholala:
Lol.
He won't just write speak that English in one sentence but in AT LEAST 3 paragraphs. grin

You grab! cheesy
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Trypant(f): 9:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
I wish that. Have not seen any man like my dad.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
sholasholala:
Lol.

Lol If I catch you eheh. grin
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
didadavid:

You just commited a fallacy called argumentum ad hominem. You attacked the person involved and not the topic of discussion.

I used the word "probably" and didnt ascertain that you are like that.

Kindly refer back to my previous post. Gracias.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
elari: . . . Here I am, let's call ourselves dad n mum

Move aside, I am her husband on this forum...and I bite better than Suarez angry
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Bibol(f): 9:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
I have an excellent father who treats my mom like a queen, always wanting the very best for her despite her being highly opinionated. Thanks to the Ekiti blood in her grin. So yes, i'm blessed to have an husband who is superb... a more refined version of my dad smiley

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Vivly(f): 9:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by elari(m): 9:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
standd:

Move aside, I am her husband on this forum...and I bite better then Suarez angry
. . . Ebola bite on point. But am reasoning, can my likeness stand the bite
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
sholasholala: I will like to marry a man who will treat me the way my Dad treats my Mum.

Please marry me.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by stalit4ril1(f): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
DrGroove: God forbid evil.... My dad is a wicked man..Wife beater! Can NEVER wish such evil person as my husband. My mother is too soft,nice to a fault, religious and godly, simple and caring.I don't wish my brothers marry such woman else they will kill her with beatings as they have learnt that wife beating is the standard for making a woman respect a man and proving manhood!
Oh sweetie i can just imagine wot Momsi would ve gone 2ru,my friend mum is also in dis condition nd i knw how it feels this haz made me to detest men generally,i just pray dat God will give us a husband of our heart desire.May men like a lion in sheep clothes never c us not to talk of loving us.Amen.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

Lol If I catch you eheh. grin
tongue
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
elari: . . . Ebola bite on point. But am reasoning, can my likeness stand the bite

shocked shocked shocked
you get Ebola?

*sprays salt on thread*
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
standd:

Move aside, I am her husband on this forum...and I bite better then Suarez angry
Help me tell this guys o.
Re: Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? by platz(m): 9:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
my mum is the best give me 100 of her type nd I will marry all .....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Daughters Of Lesbians Kick Against Lesbianism / Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover / Benue Girl Who Was Found Wandering In Abakaliki Reunites With Her Dad (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.