Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John (18880 Views)

Nigerian Woman In Trouble For Battering Indian Lover (photo) / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Triplets In The U.S After Six Years Of Waiting / How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by eneres: 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2014
Its supposed to be funny...but d over exaggeration dulled it for me. None of what he said rings true. I'm an only child. Female. Raised in Nigeria. But my parents raised me like a son. I do everything I'm sure most male children do. A girl shd be raised to be graceful when need be n roll her jean n do the needful when such situations arise.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 15, 2014
Example of Nairaland's greatest sarcasm fails:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by chlowi(f): 6:26pm On Sep 15, 2014
tintingz: Whatever.

He's a pussified feminist.

There is absolutely nothing stupid about what the writer has written, you know these are true and perhaps too ashamed of the glaring truth that you begin to fight so hard by calling the writer names, but. Nehi(no) no amount of name calling can wipe out the truth this piece screams in a humorous light .

4 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by daverebranded(m): 6:30pm On Sep 15, 2014
which part of Nigeria are we talking about here, everything sounds absurd and ridiculous to me
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 15, 2014
I understand what he wrote here but I don't understand the thrust of it all. Is Elnathan John a feminist now? Does he want to appeal to the female readers? Is he trying to cut the image of the alfa-male? Does he want to exhude confidence and demean other men as lacking same? At the risk of condemnation by the female folk, this write-up is trashy and a cheap shot at popularity.

When Elnathan John gets a daughter; let him teach her how to boast loudly in public abut her sexual prowess or regale every man that comes her way with stories of her exploits in bed. Let him teach her how to 'subdue' men in bed and make them hurry home to their fathers in shame to ask if that is how their mothers 'conquered them. Let him not forget to teach her, 'how to balance family and work', but teach her how to balance men on their backs in every field of endavour. Let him teach her, how to '"take meat before men, dance fire dance" and ask her husband or surrogate dad for her child, to carry pregnancy too.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by basille(m): 6:32pm On Sep 15, 2014
Lmfao. Nice write-up but the satirical aspect was exaggerated, you don't get to see most of this issues like before.
Too bad our culture doesn't advocate for equal right between man and women.
I guess feminism in Nigeria is a case of "Culture vs Common Sense".

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 15, 2014
Onegai: When I read it on sunday, I couldn't laugh. It was so real and painful. I have a man who would be so delighted if I fixed a weave, acted like the typical uninformed Naija female and stopped reading so much and decided to do a Masters (rather than be an artist). And he met me like this. I am almost about to break up with him for the atheist who likes me the way I am. I will never forget my first, whom when I told him "this hurts", said "it's your fault, there's something wrong with your body", and I almost married him. He was also confused by my choice of career (his mum was a trained lawyer who opened a shop, he thought that was what all women were meant to do after marriage). Thank God for whatever encouraged me to run from him ooooo grin

One of my colleagues last year (a man in his 40s) declared venomously "Why do women need orgas.ms? That is what is causing a divorce, I have never asked my wife if she enjoyed it, she does because she has children". When I think of all times shii gets said to my face because I'm female.

Or the several times when once a girl has a car, Daddy bought it or she's an ashi.
Or how the fact you don't attend church every sunday is alarming, nevermind your personal morals and ethics are above reproach.
Or how many times I was commiserated with for having studied Engineering, because according to them, "that's why you're not getting married on time".
Or how my mum would chase me to the kitchen on Christmas-day and leave my older brothers to watch tv in peace, as a kid.
Or how some crazy dude at MMIA was shouting (because no-one let him cut the line and chance women) that we were "disrespectful" and if we had husbands, he would deal with us.

Sorry, I had to modify my post: I met this mother at an art store in Ojuelegba, she was buying materials for her son, and we started discussing future careers. She then said "my daughter wanted to study Nursing, but I convinced her otherwise. When she gets married, she won't have time for her family. What if she marries a Pastor, will she neglect him at home?"

That chick wasn't even in SS3 yet. She could have been Nigeria's Florence Nightingale, but her mum felt her marital prospects were more important than her contribution to society.
Why does Sarcasm go over Nigerians' heads?? Didn't they study English and Literature in school.

I feel for you sistas. I really do.
I wish you all are allowed to shine to the fullness of your stars and to be who you are.

However, know this, in all things, there are boundaries, and rightfully so.

As to Marriage, it is a rather firm institution whereby if things aren't done a certain way, it WILL NOT work.
If you deem the terms of the institution unfair according to your own standards, then don't sign into or enter that institution.
I believe there are other institutions you could subscribe to.

Wherever you are today, You can be an engineer and still be a great mother if you want to.
I say this because, feminism (like all movements that struggle for relevance after its founding aim is already accomplished) is a yoyo.
The current state of that yoyo is an absolute JOKE in certain parts of the world.

Where it should have stopped and been at balance, it propagated into something quite stupid. To a point where women can do some truly terrible things for no other reason other than because they can and because they are women, and this time, backed by the law of the land. The same land that affords children the right to slap their parents, but will jail parents for returning the gesture to the same impudent child.

I know that Nigeria will never allow itself to be that stupid, and that is one of the reasons why I still love my father land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Sennard(m): 6:44pm On Sep 15, 2014
This post is ''JUNK''. Stop watching nigeria epic movie @op.i have met a lot of people in Nigeria and they dont expect women to do the things written in this wacky article,just look for real things to post instead of posting outdated shit.
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
The funny thing is that 99% of this right up is what my kins women still drive in to my ears.

Many ladies that were molested were told to keep it a secret as its a sign that she's loose "äfterall she isnt the only one living there, so why must it be her that got raped"

I cant keep going on, but this is one outrageous one that turns by brains upside down

6 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by lezz(m): 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2014
tintingz: Whatever.

He's a pussified feminist.
all these foolish african femimist and lesbians who don't even know the meaning and implications of the word would be talking.

@ OP, please save us your feminist rantings. Man and women aren't the same and can never be.
For every good thing that came out of the West, female liberalisation isn't amongst them. Female empowerment has exposed and harmed women more than anything else.

Google the violent and molestation rate in the US and UK and your jaws would drop. Women had always had it better prior to World War 11 in 1945. Divorces were almost unheared of both in the west and in Africa. Women live longer and happier.

Then came 1945 when the war too out millions of men and women were brought in to work and fill up offices of men. We then witnessed the steady decline of homes and society

i hope your perverted feminist inclinations realise that the highest enviroment where infidelity takes place other than the internet is the office. Where another man's wife is put under the authority of a man who is her boss
and with time she obeys her boss first before her husband.

I don't know what your religious lining is but i'm a christian and i know that every married woman has a ministry and her first ministry is to her husband.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
Yawn. Very weak attempt at satire. How about throwing one at "majority" of our college educated women who realize the obvious inconsistencies, yet do not take enough responsibility but merely roll back and fullfill roles parceled down to to them by society. Comm'n, it can't all be the fault of the patriarchy! I'm with tintingz who called him a pussified feminist. Elnathan panders to women as has been laid bare here and in some of his previous musings ; nothing wrong with that, but a writer worth half his weight in gold(which im certainly not) should strive for balance and nuance. I love some of his writings but this one's pretty lame.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
Another woman parading as a man , smh
Shame no dey catch una?
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by dazzlingbeau(f): 8:20pm On Sep 15, 2014
This happened to me. grin grin. My dad told me not to work in abuja because of the stigma.
kreamidiva: Hahaha.....

One i heard sometime o. In Nigeria, men see every single girl who lives in Abuja is a prostitute!!! And would never get married.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 15, 2014
tintingz:

In conclusion the writer view that

in Nigeria..

a girl must wear pink material

a girl must not learn how fix bulb

a girl should not participate in sports

a girl can't get a car.

and so on

The Elnathan must be a bigot.
I think you have a difficulty comprehending sarcasm.

4 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by caesaraba(m): 9:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Sex is just one of them, but since you mention it tell me this:

If your girl tells you exactly what she wants, how she wants it, and what you could do to improve your technique, you telling me you won't look down on her with the mindset that she's been around?

And would you have a rethink of marrying your fiancee if she's way better than you in bed?

What the ....!
9ja is really diverse.
The opposite of the scenario above is largely why I decided to stop dating for a few years now. Driven men without esteem issues like many of us will seldom settle for women who can't hold their own in almost every department. Frankly, nothing feels better than not dating some dumbed-down Nigerian lady waiting for instructions on which eye to blink. Who wants a dunder-brained zombie? Definitely not some of us.

@thread, fractious uncivilised behaviour shouldn't be confused with feminism abeg.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Savigne(f): 10:34pm On Sep 15, 2014
I hope I'm not the only one who noticed the underlying sarcasm in this article.....

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 15, 2014
MissMeiya: Example of Nairaland's greatest sarcasm fails:

That's incredibly hilarious.
I'm still laughing at the moment of typing this... grin

On the second thought, it's really disturbing. But I wouldn't let that get to me.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ceasar1:

That's incredibly hilarious.
I'm still laughing at the moment of typing this... grin

On the second thought it's really disturbing, but I wouldn't let that get to me.

I tell you. He never did get it. Sometimes when you find yourself arguing with someone on Nairaland who seems to not be reading what you're writing but blabbing about something else, you must understand that they might not actually understand what you are writing.

I have more sarcasm fails....

4 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Stephxoblessed(f): 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2014
I don't believe in this crap .my daughter (s) must learn to fix bulb,repair broken stuffs and most importantly, learn to be independent. I hate it when young ladies depend on guys for everything .independence should be encouraged in lil young girls and not teach them to become a liability to some guys.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
@Ceasar1

Here's another one

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

I have more sarcasm fails....

Wow. Do you mind to share? I'm really interested to read more. And probably more.
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 15, 2014
MissMeiya: @Ceasar1

Here's another one.

Is that for real? shocked

I'm speechless, that's shocking.
Even with the disclaimer up there, the Dude was still trying to drag a point. That's annoying and disappointing.

.... And he said “Art student”. O MY GOD. grin
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 11:09pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ceasar1:

Is that for real? shocked

I'm speechless, that's shocking.
Even with the disclaimer up there, the Dude was still trying to drag a point. That's annoying and disappointing.

.... And he said “Art student”. O MY GOD. grin

I'm telling you, man. It baffles the mind. Nairaland will teach you infinite patience. There are some very very stúpid people on here. I ALWAYS use the disclaimer.

Lol @ is that for real--I used screenshots so its authenticity could not be disputed, that's how unreal it is.

5 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by MarieSucre(f): 11:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
na wa o. some men sef. This article subtly pointed out some-cultural hardships that women face. Many women here agree with it but most of the men are foaming at the mouth. what is it sef? are we not the ones' who will know where the shoe pinches us? hiaaan.

5 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by MarieSucre(f): 11:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
na wa o. some men sef. This article subtly pointed out some-cultural hardships that women face. Many women here agree with it but most of the men are foaming at the mouth. what is it sef? are we not the ones who will know where the shoe pinches us? hiaaan.
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 16, 2014
Why do I find this article laughable?
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Anaskie(m): 12:32am On Sep 16, 2014
Most of you shouting satire don't even know d meaning.

Satire - a literary technique of writing or art which principally ridicules its subject often as an intended means of provoking change. Humour is often used to aid this.

Now, the writer is trying to advocate a change in the treatment of females, with an underlying message of gender equality.

In asmuch as I believe that to some extent, women have had it really bad in Nigeria, particulary as regards rape, sexual harassments and some obnoxious cultural practices, this recent propaganda being advocated by some acclaimed 'feminists' isn't just right.
These ppl are practically clamouring for a total overhauling of gender roles. A man must cook, clean d house, take care of the children, go to d market etc. If they had their ways, they'd even want the man to somehow carry the child in his belly.
Its really saddening to see how these strange ideas are gaining acceptance.
My mum who wasn't infected with these ideas has been married to my dad for well over 32 years, and mind you, she was nd still is a working class lady in a top international agency. Somehow, she still managed to balance her work and her family.
But what do these feminists teach you? They make it look as if its almost impossible for a woman to balance both. No way, ur husband must come back early from work and take care of the children. He must go to the market. Why should I cook, doesn't he have hands? Why should I be submissive to my husband?
The result is dat divorce rates are rising daily. Women av chosen not to be women anymore, nd now want to be men. Somehow, dats wat gender equality means to them.

I'm saying dis unapologetically, but I would do evrything the Op wrote. I would wear my daughters pink clothes nd oda bright colours.
My wife would teach my daughters to be proper ladies. They would learn how to cook and learn how to take care of a home. They would learn how to sit properly, speak properly and eat properly as a proper lady would do.
Lastly and most importantly, they would learn how to be independent and strive towards achieving their careers.

And before u ppl crucify me, I'd teach my sons to also work hard, to assist their sisters in taking care of d house and most importantly, to respect females.

Enough of this madness.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by 2CatWoman: 12:35am On Sep 16, 2014
^^^You seem confused. No, sorry you are completely confused.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Anaskie(m): 12:46am On Sep 16, 2014
2CatWoman: ^^^You seem confused. No, sorry you are completely confused.
Nd how am I confused?
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:51am On Sep 16, 2014
glitest: Why do I find this article laughable?

Cause it is loaded with rubbish and playing the victim card
Re: How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John by Nobody: 1:14am On Sep 16, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Cause it is loaded with rubbish and playing the victim card

Hey, look. It's the woman-hater. Fancy seeing you lurking in here. How many posts have you made in this thread? You're slipping.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

He Reveals His True Identity And Wants A Divorce / Ever Felt Like You Married The Wrong Person? / Girls Are More Caring Than Boys. Do You Agree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.