Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,717 members, 7,820,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 (30499 Views)

He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 / WAEC EXPO/RUNZ 2020 | NECO EXPO/RUNS: CALL 08138222229 NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by chuggy(m): 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
Project400: I think you should state your current GP
. True talk, make we knw if u really get hope

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: I'm a final year student and honestly, my GP ain't as good as I wish. I'm contemplating dropping some courses and rewriting them next session to boost my GP. please can I resit those exams and still go for NYSC that same year? I talked to my course adviser about it and he said i'll be able to go with the next available batch once my result is out. pls is this possible? what is your advice to me? N.B: I'm 20 years old
Boy! So many things should be taken into consideration including the warlords by the name of FG & ASUU.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by dopedealer(m): 5:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: thanks bro. where u still able to go for NYSC once your result was out?

..... My drunkard HOD in my department forgot to send our result to senate On time so we missed our batch. other departments that sent results ontime made it..
So if the system works well, ure on point bro!
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Louislewis: 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
Go and start from year 1 so that you will come out with 1.1. This will enable you to become the richest man or woman. You hear.....?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by scribble: 5:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
It depends on you bruh

I think school is a waste of time....any certificate is good even of na thirdy
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by kolaaderin: 5:29pm On Sep 17, 2014
If u are really sure of making the 2.1, its better u wait and have it. no one will ever ask u if u ever had extra year, but they will definitely doubt u graduated at appropriate time with 2.2.

my advice, wait and have ur 2.1 cos 2.2 is gradually turning to nothing to the employers this days.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by kropelgrada(m): 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2014
tonilogbo:

Let me remind you that 2.1 may be a good grade but cannot always get you a highly pay job and also neither 2.2 cannot get you a low pay job...You're what u can do with your qualification...not the grade u have got while in school...Let me also remind you that Prof. Wole Soyinka has "pass" grade during his B.sc program...He is well known throughout the whole world...I think its nt advisable to drop some courses just because u want 2.1. #MyOpinion. With your grade can employ first class.
Prof. Wole Soyinka did not have a "pass", Prof Wole Soyinka graduated with a 2.1.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by shoboy9: 5:37pm On Sep 17, 2014
stay of course.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ochiosa(m): 5:38pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: yeah. According to my course adviser, I will be able to go for the next available batch once my result is out and I know that it can be out before the November NYSC mobilization. Just don't know if it's really possible and how people will take it..... particularly those who don't know the story
Note that your NYSC will now come before your certificate and you will answer more question any time you present your credentials, so I advice that if you are sure of yourself go for the certificate first and then NYSC. Best of luck
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Olagbenga95(m): 5:43pm On Sep 17, 2014
African mentality,will Gp determine ya life...ehn,how i wish i could be given 2.2 now in part2 at Oau n ave complete my Bsc...baba tnk God oh...if u cant Win them at worst Draw them..

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by folba(m): 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2014
Its worth OP.Am actually in dsame shoe as urself.All will be well

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by haibe(m): 5:58pm On Sep 17, 2014
ayusco85: shocked

Pls Shed more light on the Bsc Hons. My certificate (sorry testimonial, certificate isn't ready yet) reads
"BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (GEOLOGY AND MINING) I never had a carry over let alone an extra year. Whr does the (Hons) come?

Once you have an extra year, you will be awarded an ordinary Bsc. Bsc hons is for those who use their stipulated time.

For you, you wouldn't have any problem, your certificate would definitely read a Bsc hons.

At least this is what I was told.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Jivi: 6:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: I'm a final year student and honestly, my GP ain't as good as I wish. I'm contemplating dropping some courses and rewriting them next session to boost my GP. please can I resit those exams and still go for NYSC that same year? I talked to my course adviser about it and he said i'll be able to go with the next available batch once my result is out. pls is this possible? what is your advice to me? N.B: I'm 20 years old

You are still young. Stay an extra session and make a 2.1. The truth is the 2.1 in life does not really make any difference but it opens certain doors for you in the future that would constitute an annoying disruption like say a masters degree/job application minmium requirement of 2.1 or student visa application academic ability survey etc. My advise is stay an extra year and boost your gp. It is your life. you are not doing first to finish with anybody. Improve your life situations according to your terms now that you still have the financial support of your parents I suppose. In the future, you are on your own with your personal load. This is the time to lay the foundation. Stay an extra session and give it your best. forget nysc for now. let your extra session determine your nysc date and not the other way round.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by nkkystel(f): 6:26pm On Sep 17, 2014
If you are very sure of making a 2.1 then why not stay an extra yr, but it would be very disappointing and bad to stay an extra year and yet come out with a 2.2.
2.1 or 2.2 does it make any difference in Nigeria. May God Amighty help us.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ayusco85(m): 6:49pm On Sep 17, 2014
haibe:

Once you have an extra year, you will be awarded an ordinary Bsc. Bsc hons is for those who use their stipulated time.

For you, you wouldn't have any problem, your certificate would definitely read a Bsc hons.

At least this is what I was told.

The honours came after my class of degree. Like this.............

"Second class honours (upper division)"

Is that the honours ur referring to?
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
Hope u knw dat dere wont b hons in ur certificate .i mean it will js being an ord Bsc instead of bsc hons if u stay an etra yesr.and again it will b so depresn. But waitn,it lik ur schfees is cheap abi not lik mine dat is 80k and it a state uni,i dare not thk od havn an extra year!. i dont thk u tot of wot if d system changes,like in Accounting.nw dat deere is lot of changes,and ao def wot u were tot den mitr b diff frm.wot u.b taught next. Wot abt ASUU strik,wot if it is a year dis tym ard.abi na private sch u dey? Abeg thk well oooo

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by handie(m): 7:36pm On Sep 17, 2014
ndidibabe: Please stay if it is certain that you will make a 2.1. Do not bother yourself about when you will be mobilized for NYSC. Really, what is worth doing is what doing well. Well done for thinking right at a young age. If you eventually finish with a 2.1, through with NYSC at age 24 and willing to work in a Bank, please send a mail to me at simplysimisola@yahoo.com.
. Thanks..... banking is actually my field o
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by handie(m): 7:39pm On Sep 17, 2014
folba: Its worth OP.Am actually in dsame shoe as urself.All will be well
Amen
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Contumely: 8:00pm On Sep 17, 2014
pinkiepetite: Hope u knw dat dere wont b hons in ur certificate .i mean it will js being an ord Bsc instead of bsc hons if u stay an etra yesr.and again it will b so depresn. But waitn,it lik ur schfees is cheap abi not lik mine dat is 80k and it a state uni,i dare not thk od havn an extra year!. i dont thk u tot of wot if d system changes,like in Accounting.nw dat deere is lot of changes,and ao def wot u were tot den mitr b diff frm.wot u.b taught next. Wot abt ASUU strik,wot if it is a year dis tym ard.abi na private sch u dey? Abeg thk well oooo
it is not in all cases that you will be required to pay school fees if you stay an extra year in school, like in UNN you pay school fees if you are to sit courses whose unit loads exceed like 14 otherwise you just register each course with a sum like 500 naira.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ochallo: 8:10pm On Sep 17, 2014
These are the pros of having a 2.1
1. You would be invited for more tests and interviews for job employment since some companies don't even ask 2.2 to apply.
2. It would help in your postgraduate admission abroad. Some very reputable universities abroad always request for a 70% grade from graduates coming from developing countries.

Now that said, a lot of success in life has to do with what you can do and the skills you have. There are 2.1 graduates that are secondary school teachers and when i graduated some 2.2 graduates got good jobs before 2.1 graduates in my set. I don't think there is anybody who is not gainfully employed now or suffering that would say, i would have done better if i had a 2.1. Most of our institutions don't teach you anything. I don't know what your field of study is, but if it is in Engineering and computer science, i would advise you to go for a technical training abroad instead, where you can really get skills that would overshadow what ever grade you have. But if it's in the arts or commercial then maybe stay, for accounting , passing certifications would be much more important, if you have a CFA, no one would look at your 2.2 or even third class. But don't bother yourself about NYSC, it is mostly a waste of time, when you do it doesn't matter whether with your mates or not, it is what you have with you that matters, if you have certain skills some companies would even work your NYSC for you.

Take Care.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 17, 2014
kropelgrada: If you believe you'll hit the 2.1 mark after everything,then i advise you go for it..I was in in the same position a couple of years ago and i made the decisions that suited my situation.Just follow your heart.And your so called mates won't get that far by the time you are done with NYSC so you all will still be on the same level trust me.A 2.1 is an advantage in the labour market,it gives you a competitive edge.

Well said
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by sigolisis: 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2014

My bro, pls plan it well, your future matters, nysc is not the main thing. Make your result first, get the BEST POSSIBLE out of school and you'll be happy, fulfilled and proud of yourself for the rest of your life. You have enough time for nysc (I'm not encouraging you to waste time) but what is the joy of presenting a pass certificate for example in nysc camp where some people proudly bagged 1st class from good schools, fulfilling courses.

Parley your course adviser, let him know your intention, ask for his advise, if he's a good type he will guide you in choice of courses and electives, he knows lecturers to avoid at this stage.

You also need to work harder knowing your target, you can't afford to have a C in any course at this stage again, a C is failure. Above all pray, pray, pray and serve God in holiness and righteousness. In-case you have not given your. Life to Jesus pls do and all these things (God's favour) will automatically follow you and you will be free the rest of your life.

Pls pardon my religious bias, I can only give you the trusted and tested formula that I know. Good luck
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by seunwen2(m): 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2014
Just passing o jare don't have time for this discussion graduate with 2.2 from physics dept and am not regretting since then
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by deolu2000(m): 9:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
[quote author=handie] Madam calm down. my mates are running good businesses? really? do u know how old I am? moreover, what's worth doing is worth doing well.[/quote
if you knew that already,so why put up this thread,i can see through your comment who you are.#smh.infact stay fot 3yrs more and possibly make first class.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by deavicky(m): 9:27pm On Sep 17, 2014
even if it requires u to 2 more year get 21 please stay or u will ve stay d 2 years at home or even more
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by haibe(m): 9:33pm On Sep 17, 2014
ayusco85:

The honours came after my class of degree. Like this.............

"Second class honours (upper division)"

Is that the honours ur referring to?
sure
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 10:07pm On Sep 17, 2014
Let me advise you: sit down brother, rearrange ur course well. Check the syllabus of all your courses. Check the difficult ones u can do with your mates, so dat you can use communal effort and group reading to pass well. The ones you know you will pass easily with very good grades, drop them.

Staying in school one semester won't stop you from being what you will be. One thing you should know is that, when you satisfy your mind that you tried to achieve a particular goal and gave all your best, you won't feel bad than when you will regretting not taking that one good step.

Its a game of chance, take it. You're thinking about service, you won't see your friends in your state of PPA sef talkless of your LGA. After ur last paper in school, life is OYO.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Superbrain(m): 10:33pm On Sep 17, 2014

I was in your shoes years ago and chose to stay back an extra year. Did it pay off? No it didn't, because I ended up with a 2.2 despite making that decision (my fault though).

Nevertheless, I would still advise you stay back and graduate with a 2.1. It is becoming increasingly competitive in the job marketplace and while a 2.1 is not a sure guarantee of a job, a 2.2 would not help you get opportunities to prove your worth.

Grades are just a benchmark or criteria for screening applicants these days (both for jobs and graduate school). What matters most is what you can deliver and you can only show that when you get the opportunity to be heard.

So my advise is stay back, graduate with a 2.1 and keep developing yourself to stay competitive. A 2.2 does not define you (I know very intelligent folks that graduated with a 2.2 who would outsmart even 1st class degree holders) but can limit the opportunities available to you.

And if graduate school is your next destination, you probably would not be able to get into top grad schools in Europe & North America with a 2.2. Don't do yourself this disservice.

Most of the people who I could have graduated with are not where I am today (7 years down the road). So please remember this whenever you do anything- "YOU DO NOT HAVE MATES". Life is a race between you and you alone. Finish your race knowing you did your best. 5 years in the corporate world has taught me even more. I see people come and go, some move faster up the ladder, some still struggling at entry level. This picture changes everyday.

We recently recruited a guy I graduated with in 2008 and he just got an entry level role. By organizational structure, he reports to my work level which means I could have been his boss. So remember, there are no mates in life. This picture can be different in another 5 years, even reverse.

Thank God for today and the days ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by DECOtech(m): 10:47pm On Sep 17, 2014
20yrs old... Are you in a hurry to graduate? If. Not. Sit back in school, relax, focus and improve ur destiny.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 17, 2014
missdebs: yes, pls go back n start again....mscheew wen ur mates dat didnt even go to university are running gud businesses and even political posts,pls go back

Easy na haba...just calm down ehn. Breathe in & breathe out...good continue like dat
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Femicrux: 11:55pm On Sep 17, 2014
Life will always present dilemmas such as the stated, but you should know that in the long run, it is self- qualities that gets one established. I will not help you make a choice because I believe there is no right or wrong option in this case. Follow your heart. If you feel a 2.1 is worth the extra months in school, by all means stay.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by okych16(m): 12:26am On Sep 18, 2014
i see people that work 4 money and nt money workin 4 dm...Try RICH DAD, POOR DAD...4 me if u wnt money to work 4 u, school grad is jst a papper... The rich people we hear of today did nt becum rich bcus of dia acadmicl grad but bcus of wat dy do wit dia minds and tots...dos grad wil only ensalv u...my opinion sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pix : Meet The Man Who Invented/Started Examination / Teenager Loses Sight Over Teacher's Cane (photo) / The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.