Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. (24566 Views)

Bode George, Odili Got N100M Each From Dasuki In Arms Purchase Scam - Sahara Rep / EFCC Arrests 25 Prominent Nigerians Over $2billion Arms Purchase Scandal / EFCC Arrests Attahiru Bafarawa Over Arms Purchase Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by omenka(m): 10:49am On Sep 18, 2014
Raypawer:

don't be a dumb fool u this idiotic dude! didn't i say that US is d main brain behind Boko Haram... tey are behind terrorism just to suck our oil, i think Nigeria should approach Russian Govt nd Chinese Govt... they will gladly help Naija!
I think you must be living in a fool's paradise. Whoever told you I gave a rat's fart what you say or think??undecided
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by persius555(m): 10:56am On Sep 18, 2014
The same US govt that predicted that nigeria will divide by 2015, refused to treat our ebola patients with their zmapp, the same US govt that its president has refused to pay a visit depite our efforts on the continent to sustain peace and stamp out terrorism.This same US govt stopped france from delivering five navy warships to russia due to their stance on the war in ukraine. I do believe FG is saying the truth about the US secret arm embargo against countries with strong russian military ties.If not what will it gain by wrongly accusing the US, arm an insurgent group that is waging a war to jeopardise its political ambitions b4 next year''s feburary general election. I am not holding brief for this govt that itself has so many shortcomings. Let''s wait for a response to this accusation from uncle sam.

3 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by 1United1: 10:57am On Sep 18, 2014
omerta: Nothing o! cool cool

No Longer on the Front Page! Yanked off!

Cc: Berem
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Virgindove(f): 10:59am On Sep 18, 2014
PDP' death will surely be ratified the day they present JONATHAN as their consensus candidate. Wind don dey blow, fowl yansh don dey open.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by ochiosa(m): 11:03am On Sep 18, 2014
Must of us just talk for talking sake, we don't know how government works from America to Africa, UK to Asia and to Australia which country leadership has ever told their people the truth? even when these terrorist are slicing peoples throath world leaders still call them and their sect peaceful. If any of us running our mouth here is given the opportunity to preside over a small meeting you will see the real us talk less of a state or a nation. The food you don't like do not say you forbid it in case of famine and that food becomes the only thing left for people to eat.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by tuffgongjo(m): 11:03am On Sep 18, 2014
Nigeria,playing blame Game(s) since 1914.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by texaco1: 11:06am On Sep 18, 2014
Exmay: Are talking as an experience arms Dealer U can't transfera huge money like that through any bank without leaving a trace. Thus, that channel can be blocked subsequently... Arms dealing no be same as Car dealing.
bros ,let me give u a possible scenario of what happened . Gej must have approved the money for the purchase of the weapons that is his own part. We have a minister of defence and we have militaryy chiefs who will determine where and what buy. Gej must have entrusted this responsibility to them . But because of some kick backs they are interested in ,they decided to go about it in a amateurish manner and now the whole thing has backfired and ofcourse who will nigerians blame if not gej. The simple truth is there is more to this supposedly deal and I won't be surprised if some people get sacked very soon. I don't think there is any way gej will descend so low as to approove an arms deal and transaction for Nigeria to be carried out is this manner.it definitely belittles gej,the office of the presidency and the image of nigeria as a whole .

3 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 18, 2014
1United1:

it has? Bwahahahahaha!!
It doesn't change anything anyway. The deed has been done. grin grin
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Virgindove(f): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2014
persius555: The same US govt that predicted that nigeria will divide by 2015, refused to treat our ebola patients with their zmapp, the same US govt that its president has refused to pay a visit depite our efforts on the continent to sustain peace and stamp out terrorism.This same US govt stopped france from delivering five navy warships to russia due to their stance on the war in ukraine. I do believe FG is saying the truth about the US secret arm embargo against countries with strong russian military ties.If not what will it gain by wrongly accusing the US, arm an insurgent group that is waging a war to jeopardise its political ambitions b4 next year''s feburary general election. I am not holding brief for this govt that itself has so many shortcomings. Let''s wait for a response to this accusation from uncle sam.
Your submission was sensible. But if US placed informal arms embargo on us, Russia would be very happy to sell us arms.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Raypawer(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2014
omenka: I think you must be living in a fool's paradise. Whoever told you I gave a rat's fart what you say or think??undecided

poooo!!! u karzzz
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Raypawer(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2014
omenka: I think you must be living in a fool's paradise. Whoever told you I gave a rat's fart what you say or think??undecided

poooo!!! uh karzzz
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Gbawe2: 11:09am On Sep 18, 2014
Demdem:

Don't mind these fools.
Aliens obviously supplied these ones to us from out of space since America won't allow us to source it from humans.

Don't let these fools get to you. The truth, for pragmatically intelligent critical thinkers across the entire Universe, is that occurrences so far shows that the ruling PDP Party and Government is a divisive and deceptive 'enemy within' antagonist working against the people of Nigeria. Folks should face the economic reality of today to note that Nigeria is absolutely nothing, either way, to the USA currently.

Genuinely intelligent and truthful folks will realise that there is nothing we do for the USA today that can be considered of 'critical importance'. If we do not fool ourselves continuing to focus on past glory, and a time when shale was non-existent and dependence on fossil fuel was not becoming less of an issue daily, then it would be obvious that Nigerians are currently overestimating the importance of their Country and the main 'benefit' (crude oil) we offer to the comity of Nations on earth.

What do we really bring to the table these days for anyone to prop up the theory that others view us a threat to be "destroyed"? If anything, the reality shows that the USA and other Western Nation would be fully committed to preventing Nigeria failing and becoming another very big headache in the fight against a fundamentalist and terror-based ISIS (Islamic State) agenda that is now perceived to be gaining ground dangerously and forcing world leaders to meet urgently. We are dealing with conjecture and hearsay here but the truth is that the only plausible reason the USA will only stop Nigeria buying weapons to fight fundamentalist terror is if the belief is that the Nigerian FG is duplicitous and in cahoot with Boko Haram.

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by omerta(f): 11:13am On Sep 18, 2014
1United1:
I knew Seun was going to yank it off FP. Let's guess the excuse he'll give...
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 18, 2014
omerta: I knew S.eun was going to yank it off FP. Let's guess the excuse he'll give...
Ifeanyichukwu couldn't defend his paymaster he had to run to S.eun to yank off the thread from front page? What a sissie! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Exmay(m): 11:21am On Sep 18, 2014
texaco1: bros ,let me give u a possible scenario of what happened . Gej must have approved the money for the purchase of the weapons that is his own part. We have a minister of defence and we have militaryy chiefs who will determine where and what buy. Gej must have entrusted this responsibility to them . But because of some kick backs they are interested in ,they decided to go about it in a amateurish manner and now the whole thing has backfired and ofcourse who will nigerians blame if not gej. The simple truth is there is more to this supposedly deal and I won't be surprised if some people get sacked very soon. I don't think there is any way gej will descend so low as to approove an arms deal and transaction for Nigeria to be carried out is this manner.it definitely belittles gej,the office of the presidency and the image of nigeria as a whole .
. Sorry Boss, but I feel u r underestimating USA. They will go to any length to force you to accept their own point of View. They Sanctioned Nigeria on acct of her Anti-Gay stand. What do you think those sanctions cover. The US promised to send support to assist in fighting Boko, pls after all these months have we seen anything from them... No. Why, cos our Leaders 'Fail' to play ball with them. So the best way to get this weapons that are much needed is through the open market. And for all we care, SA may just be a meeting point between them and the Dealers from another Country.

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Virgindove(f): 11:21am On Sep 18, 2014
BTT:

Yes actually.

There are sanctions on Russia right now that disables her economy from selling arms.

I stand to be corrected.
Fallacy! Russia cannot purchase from US and Europe, but can sell to any willing country.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by EVarn(m): 11:23am On Sep 18, 2014
Why Would Nigeria Lie Against The US-an Ally,a World Leading Nation, A Nuclear-political-military Power And A Member Of The UN Security Council?, I'm Not Siding The Nigerian Government Now,dont Get Me Wrong,our Leaders Are Not Saints And We Certainly Have Corruption Issues.But Methink That There Is An Element Of Truth In All This Fiasco, The US Have Alway Flaunted Their Political And Military Power In World Affair, Parading And Prancing About All In The Name Of World Peace,but Is There Anything Like World Peace?(snorts)...The US Does Not Need To Place Sanctions B4 U Know That They Have There Own Propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Mogidi: 11:24am On Sep 18, 2014
berem: it will never be yanked off! [size=15pt]Not when I am still a nairalander[/size]. grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You can go and sue Seun, good luck.
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by chamboy(m): 11:25am On Sep 18, 2014
Exmay: . Sorry Boss, but I feel u r underestimating USA. They will go to any length to force you to accept their own point of View. They Sanctioned Nigeria on acct of her Anti-Gay stand. What do you think those sanctions cover. The US promised to send support to assist in fighting Boko, pls after all these months have we seen anything from them... No. Why, cos our Leaders 'Fail' to play ball with them. So the best way to get this weapons that are much needed is through the open market. And for all we care, SA may just be a meeting point between them and the Dealers from another Country.
Save the Story till 22nd September for Nursery skool kids
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 18, 2014
Mogidi:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You can go and sue S.eun, good luck.
So you TANoids went to go crying to Shewun to yank off the thread from FP. Sorry bro,the damage has been done already. grin grin
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by omerta(f): 11:29am On Sep 18, 2014
berem: Ifeanyichukwu couldn't defend his paymaster he had to run to S.eun to yank off the thread from front page? What a sissie! grin grin
Even bigger a sissie is the one that takes orders from a sycophantic sissie like ifeanyi!
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Exmay(m): 11:29am On Sep 18, 2014
chamboy: Save the Story till 22nd September for Nursery skool kids
Please if u don't have a Constructive counter opinion, kindly desist from commenting on Posts. Being rude on faceless forum is not Equivalent to being Cool...
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by neyobills: 11:29am On Sep 18, 2014
Enouwem: The Nigerian government wanted some
cache of weapons in South Africa and so
they borrowed Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor's
private jet. Probably because the self-
acclaimed giant of Africa could not find a
befitting aircraft amongst her fleets of
military planes to transport the intended
weapons for them, not even among the 10
private jets in President's fleet. It is Ayo
Oritsejafor's jet that was the best.
Meanwhile, Ayo Oritsejafor did not know
that the government intended to use his
jet to buy weapons. He leased his jet to a
2nd person ( Eagle Air) and the 2nd
person leased to the 3rd Green Coast
Produce) and then the 3rd to the 4th One
Mr John Ishyaku or so (who happens to be 2
be an agent of the government wit one
person and an Israeli with 9.3 million
dollars).
Sorry, I get it, the Israeli told our
government that they should rather buy
weapons from South-Africa instead of his
country, Israel, because it is better for SA
to take the money than Israel who
supposedly makes better weapons. Wao, wat
a nyc man. So generous of the Israeli. So
Israelis buy weapons for us. Military
experts from our country did not have to
follow to inspect the weapons and the
inventory. Beautiful!
Also, the South African government was
unaware that the Nigerian government was
coming to buy weapons in their country. In
their shock, they seized the jet and the
money. Well, buying arms is more or less
like buying noodles. It is not a serious thing
and so any government can walk into
another country without informing the host
country that they intend buying weapons in
their country. So foreign government just
walk into another country like that, buy
weapons and then off they go. And this is
how the government of Nigeria have been
buying weapons since 1960? Terrific! Una
do well!
Moreover, tot d man said dey bought him d
jet to ease his duty and support his
ministry, his using d jet as Kabu Kabu part
of his ministry too? His d money coming
frm d Kabu kabu goin bak into d ministry
or personal pocket? Shebi, Any transact
btw two countries are bn done by d Central
Banks? Abi, my ova sabi is gettin too
much? Ok, let me leave dat to d bankers.
Morever, I tot d F.G now insist on Cashless
Banking or it is not effective to d Ogas at
d top? Moreso, where is such huge money
comin frm b4 getting into d suit cases?
Many Question dat want unlimited ansas...
Even though only God knows wat we dnt
know but is quite funny how d Ogas at d
top plays wit our intelligences forget dr is
one OGA PATA PATA AT THE TOP waiting
for dem to serve dem ryt. And so shall he
serve evrybody according to wat he put
forward.
For all evil doers remember law of gravity
applicable to any theory in this word
perchance our existence so take heed and
turn a new leaf......
because DIS BLOOD U PPU ARE SHARING,
DIARIS GOD OOO!

When I read some comments on here I can't help but SMH for some peeps,now its time to get some things straight to some of u ignoramus out there.

There is usually a threshold of the maximum amount of cash that can be transferred through inter or intra bank transactions,for instance in Nigeria its 1m for individual accounts and 5m for corporate accounts so I believe no one in their right minds would think such a huge amount of money can be transferred to the recipient for the arms deal,its absolutely impossible to do such a deal without cash and besides arms dealers are the last set of professionals that deal without cash in hand,don't ask me why.

For those calling pastor Oritsejafor names,come to think about this,for instance someone decides to charter let's say an Agofure bus from Lag to PH,and on getting to PH they meet a stop n search police checkpoint on the way,if the bus is searched and the passenger is found with contraband goods,is it Agofure who has no inkling of an idea who the passenger who hired one of his many buses that will be blamed,all that matters to Agofure is getting an alert in his bank account after the successful completion of the trip,nothing more,that is exactly the same scenario of Oritse's aircraft that he claimed to have leased out to Eagle Air,until the passengers in the aircraft prove otherwise to indict him in the scandal he is 101% innocent,whatever he decides to use his jet for,private or for lease is absolutely none of y'all buisness.

If u guys can read between the lines u will know that its not about the Nigerian Govt buying arms directly from the SA govt,so I don't see any reason why the central bank should be involved,like I read in the Russian aviation website,there was an arms exhibition to be held in SA by one of the private security companies in Russia whom had been placed under trade embargo,its possible these guys were going for the exhibition with cash to buy the ammunition they needed and this could only be done by another private security company which I believe that is why the Isreali was involved in the first place,so there isn't any need to involve any of our security chiefs anyways.

The US also buy arms for their military through their private security companies\defence contractors for instance XE corporations(formerly Blackwater)who also arm and train many ex US military personnel that were used for their undercover and psy ops during their wars in Iraq and Afghanistan,so I believe its general practice all over,they US uses these guys to fight their enemy from within cos they usually distance themselves from such deals incase sheet hits the fan.

Many of BH weaponry are been supplied from the fallout of the Arab Uprising and with Niger,Chad n co not too far from Libya ur guess is good as mine as per the route of these weapons to Northern Nigeria who can also be indirectly linked to the US since we all know how much arms they supplied the Libyan rebels during the Gadaffi fallout through such proxy defence contractors.

All that that matters for us as a nation at this trying times is for us to get the right weapons we need to fight these cows to a standstill using defence contractors as a proxy or othersiwe.

This is my humble opinion,I might be just right or otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by ALISMILE(m): 11:33am On Sep 18, 2014
Wen Henry Okah said it,that our Gov is neck deep in d violence happening in country most of us simply tot he was on a witch-hunting mission. Henry revealed then that our govment sanctioned the Oct 1st 2010 bomblast. But many of us immediately sympathized wit the govment and blamed the attack on Buhari and Babangida, which was wat d govment wanted. Have u guys ever wondered why no BH sponsor have ever been arrested even though govment admitted to knowin them? They cannot continue to fool us!
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by texaco1: 11:35am On Sep 18, 2014
Exmay: . Sorry Boss, but I feel u r underestimating USA. They will go to any length to force you to accept their own point of View. They Sanctioned Nigeria on acct of her Anti-Gay stand. What do you think those sanctions cover. The US promised to send support to assist in fighting Boko, pls after all these months have we seen anything from them... No. Why, cos our Leaders 'Fail' to play ball with them. So the best way to get this weapons that are much needed is through the open market. And for all we care, SA may just be a meeting point between them and the Dealers from another Country.
bros ,to be honest I doont think u understand that there is corruption smelling all over this money movement. If the americans could stand aside and look at nigeria when she bought and ordered for helicopters which actually cost more than 9.2 miilion dollars ,why then will they stand against this deal? Someone interest was been guarded and that was why the issue of private charter plane comes into play. Believe me most nigerian politicians do move cash amounts like that without any hindrances. There is something fishy about this deal and I only pity gej because he has to take the whole blame for it all. Forget the issue of americans been against nigeria . Nigeria is no threat to america in anyway. Nigeria is a thousand miles behind the americans . The issue and question is why conduct a national arms deal with another country in this manner without even a govt official on the trip?no top military official ?haba !
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by kenex4ever(m): 11:36am On Sep 18, 2014
lincolnj88:
Hmmmmm russia is under serious sanctions .........china might have technology but they don't have sophisticated arms as u mentioned.....better japan dan dem ......so stop using this to prove relevance....
and russia dnt sell state of d art technology to allies...all thier allies have not been able to defeat insurgents...e.g syria, lebanon, and so on...iran stop buying arms from russia and opted to manufacture thier own wen dey discover russsia dnt sell thier better weapons to others they only sell d outdated ones.....

U have said it all. CASE CLOSED

2 Likes

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 18, 2014
omerta: Even bigger a sissie is the one that takes orders from a sycophantic sissie like ifeanyi!
babe read this!

[b] Seized $9.3 million: Nigerian government’s
explanations flawed – South Africa
Nicholas Ibekwe - 13 mins agoHEADLINE
Investigators in South Africa have dismissed
Nigerian government’s explanations of the
purpose of the $9.3 million cash seized from
two Nigerians and an Israeli as “flawed and
riddled with discrepancies”.
The suspects told South African authorities that
the money was meant for the procurement of
arms for Nigerian intelligence agencies.
The jet used to ferry the money is owned by
Ayo Oritsejafor, who heads the Christian
Association of Nigeria, CAN.
Mr. Oritsejafor, a cleric, said he is not aware of
the arms deal. He said although he owns the
aircraft, it was managed by another company,
Eagle Air Company, which in turn, leased the jet
to a third party, Green Coast Produce Limited.
The Nigerian government in an unsigned
statement, Tuesday, said it has provided South
African authorities with documents and receipts
to prove that the transaction was “legitimate.”
Nigerian security officials also said that it was
normal practice to procure arms with cash.
“The Federal Government has submitted
relevant data and documents on the
transaction to South Africa and insisted that the
transaction was legitimate. It also clarified that
the funds were not laundered or smuggled for
any covert manoeuvres. No launderer will be
audacious to fly into a country in a chartered jet
with such a huge cash,” a
statement by PRNigeria, an agency that
regularly disseminates media statements for the
military, police and other security agencies in
Nigeria explained.
The statement tallies with what top security
officials told PREMIUM TIMES in confidence that
the money was legit as the government
decided to buy the arms secretly; because the
U.S. government had allegedly blocked its
efforts to buy arms openly.
However, the government’s explanation does
not seem to be gaining traction with South
African investigators as the Asset Forfeiture
Unit, AFU, of the National Prosecuting Authority
of South Africa, NPA, has obtained a court order
to freeze the money.
The NPA, in a statement sent to PREMIUM
TIMES Wednesday said that the manner which
the money was brought into the
country breached the country’s laws that deal
with the transfer of foreign exchange of such
proportion.
“The money was initially detained by the South
African Revenue Service (SARS) as it was not
disclosed or declared at customs, and was
above the prescribed legal limit for the amount
of cash that may be brought into the country,”
it said in a statement.
Investigators also cast serious doubt on the
Nigerian government’s explanation that the
money was meant for the procurement of arms
and that it has provided documents and receipt
to back its legitimacy, raising serious concern
that suspects might have been in the process
of laundering the money before it was
intercepted.
The NPA said its investigation shows that Tier
One Services Group, the firm Nigerian
government claimed it wanted to procure the
arms from, is not authorised to sell or rent
military hardware.
“In court papers, the NPA submitted evidence
that Tier One is not registered with the National
Conventional Arms Control Committee and is
thus not authorised to enter into any
agreements regarding the sale and/or rental of
military equipment,” the statement read.
Tier One has apparently issued an invoice to a
Cyprus based company, ESD International
Group Ltd, ESD, in respect of the procurement
of armaments and helicopters to be delivered to
Nigeria. However, South African investigators
said the time when the invoice was prepared
and the time the money was brought in threw
up some serious issues of its true intent.
The money was ferried to South Africa less than
a week from the date the invoice was prepared
(September 8, 2014).
The involvement of a Cyprus based company
also heightens the suspicion that this may be a
case of classical money laundering. Cyprus is
notorious for its secretive banking system,
which attracts shady characters and corrupt
politicians looking to dry-clean ill-gotten funds.
The NPA added that the transaction did not
follow normal procedure in the procurement of
the kind of equipment it was alleged to have
been meant for.
Source: Premium Times [/b]
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by omerta(f): 11:40am On Sep 18, 2014
berem: babe read this!
[b] Seized $9.3 million: Nigerian government’s
explanations flawed – South Africa
Nicholas Ibekwe - 13 mins agoHEADLINE
Investigators in South Africa have dismissed
Nigerian government’s explanations of the
purpose of the $9.3 million cash seized from
two Nigerians and an Israeli as “flawed and
riddled with discrepancies”.
The suspects told South African authorities that
the money was meant for the procurement of
arms for Nigerian intelligence agencies.
The jet used to ferry the money is owned by
Ayo Oritsejafor, who heads the Christian
Association of Nigeria, CAN.
Mr. Oritsejafor, a cleric, said he is not aware of
the arms deal. He said although he owns the
aircraft, it was managed by another company,
Eagle Air Company, which in turn, leased the jet
to a third party, Green Coast Produce Limited.
The Nigerian government in an unsigned
statement, Tuesday, said it has provided South
African authorities with documents and receipts
to prove that the transaction was “legitimate.”
Nigerian security officials also said that it was
normal practice to procure arms with cash.
“The Federal Government has submitted
relevant data and documents on the
transaction to South Africa and insisted that the
transaction was legitimate. It also clarified that
the funds were not laundered or smuggled for
any covert manoeuvres. No launderer will be
audacious to fly into a country in a chartered jet
with such a huge cash,” a
statement by PRNigeria, an agency that
regularly disseminates media statements for the
military, police and other security agencies in
Nigeria explained.
The statement tallies with what top security
officials told PREMIUM TIMES in confidence that
the money was legit as the government
decided to buy the arms secretly; because the
U.S. government had allegedly blocked its
efforts to buy arms openly.
However, the government’s explanation does
not seem to be gaining traction with South
African investigators as the Asset Forfeiture
Unit, AFU, of the National Prosecuting Authority
of South Africa, NPA, has obtained a court order
to freeze the money.
The NPA, in a statement sent to PREMIUM
TIMES Wednesday said that the manner which
the money was brought into the
country breached the country’s laws that deal
with the transfer of foreign exchange of such
proportion.
“The money was initially detained by the South
African Revenue Service (SARS) as it was not
disclosed or declared at customs, and was
above the prescribed legal limit for the amount
of cash that may be brought into the country,”
it said in a statement.
Investigators also cast serious doubt on the
Nigerian government’s explanation that the
money was meant for the procurement of arms
and that it has provided documents and receipt
to back its legitimacy, raising serious concern
that suspects might have been in the process
of laundering the money before it was
intercepted.
The NPA said its investigation shows that Tier
One Services Group, the firm Nigerian
government claimed it wanted to procure the
arms from, is not authorised to sell or rent
military hardware.
“In court papers, the NPA submitted evidence
that Tier One is not registered with the National
Conventional Arms Control Committee and is
thus not authorised to enter into any
agreements regarding the sale and/or rental of
military equipment,” the statement read.
Tier One has apparently issued an invoice to a
Cyprus based company, ESD International
Group Ltd, ESD, in respect of the procurement
of armaments and helicopters to be delivered to
Nigeria. However, South African investigators
said the time when the invoice was prepared
and the time the money was brought in threw
up some serious issues of its true intent.
The money was ferried to South Africa less than
a week from the date the invoice was prepared
(September 8, 2014).
The involvement of a Cyprus based company
also heightens the suspicion that this may be a
case of classical money laundering. Cyprus is
notorious for its secretive banking system,
which attracts shady characters and corrupt
politicians looking to dry-clean ill-gotten funds.
The NPA added that the transaction did not
follow normal procedure in the procurement of
the kind of equipment it was alleged to have
been meant for.
Source: Premium Times [/b]
I have o. And I made sure I tagged shewun. grin
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by Exmay(m): 11:43am On Sep 18, 2014
texaco1: bros ,to be honest I doont think u understand that there is corruption smelling all over this money movement. If the americans could stand aside and look at nigeria when she bought and ordered for helicopters which actually cost more than 9.2 miilion dollars ,why then will they stand against this deal? Someone interest was been guarded and that was why the issue of private charter plane comes into play. Believe me most nigerian politicians do move cash amounts like that without any hindrances. There is something fishy about this deal and I only pity gej because he has to take the whole blame for it all. Forget the issue of americans been against nigeria . Nigeria is no threat to america in anyway. Nigeria is a thousand miles behind the americans . The issue and question is why conduct a national arms deal with another country in this manner without even a govt official on the trip?no top military official ?haba !
Boss I understand perfectly the corruption angle to it. But just remember, there are 2 sides to a Coin...

1 Like

Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by kenex4ever(m): 11:43am On Sep 18, 2014
Virgindove: PDP' death will surely be ratified the day they present JONATHAN as their consensus candidate. Wind don dey blow, fowl yansh don dey open.

Virgin hoe?
Re: Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. by successking: 11:44am On Sep 18, 2014
Gbawe2:

Don't let these fools get to you. The truth, for pragmatically intelligent critical thinkers across the entire Universe, is that occurrences so far shows that the ruling PDP Party and Government is a divisive and deceptive 'enemy within' antagonist working against the people of Nigeria. Folks should face the economic reality of today to note that Nigeria is absolutely nothing, either way, to the USA currently.

Genuinely intelligent and truthful folks will realise that there is nothing we do for the USA today that can be considered of 'critical importance'. If we do not fool ourselves continuing to focus on past glory, and a time when shale was non-existent and dependence on fossil fuel was not becoming less of an issue daily, then it would be obvious that Nigerians are currently overestimating the importance of their Country and the main 'benefit' (crude oil) we offer to the comity of Nations on earth.

What do we really bring to the table these days for anyone to prop up the theory that others view us a threat to be "destroyed"? If anything, the reality shows that the USA and other Western Nation would be fully committed to preventing Nigeria failing and becoming another very big headache in the fight against a fundamentalist and terror-based ISIS (Islamic State) agenda that is now perceived to be gaining ground dangerously and forcing world leaders to meet urgently. We are dealing with conjecture and hearsay here but the truth is that the only plausible reason the USA will only stop Nigeria buying weapons to fight fundamentalist terror is if the belief is that the Nigerian FG is duplicitous and in cahoot with Boko Haram.

From this your genuinely intelligent thinking, prove to us that US did not:

1. predict the break up of Nigeria in 2015.
2. prevent Nigeria from buying arms.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Security Operative Deployed To Rivers State Border Accused Of Extortion (Video) / Doguwa: A man With 4 Wives & 28 Children Has The Leadership Skills To Be Speaker / My Detention Scaring Investors- Dasuki Sambo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.