Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,955 members, 7,828,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC (25714 Views)

Secession. Catalonia To Vote On Referendum From Spain. / Scotland Yard Detectives Identified In Uk Bribing Scandal - James Ibori / Osama Bin Laden's Death Does Not Swing American Voters To President Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Thomsbuky(m): 4:18pm On Sep 19, 2014
macof:

You are not Nigerian so get out, this doesn't concern you

what make you think he is foreigner. Its because of the photoshop poster picture on his cover? ....However, what he wrote make sense by analysing our tribe, ethnic group and those big tribe seeking to breakaway from Nigeria. its a lot complex and complication, especially we been bind together for many years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by MrCork: 4:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
...wooow...u people herd about Scotland ther in Nigeria??.....Nigeria muss really be advancing...seriously! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 19, 2014
50calibre:
Haha I was never in doubt as to what the outcome of the referendum would be, i knew a No vote was going to prevail & in fact, I was surprised the results were close, the Yes campaign performed better than I expected.

The Scots are very proud patriotic people, but when it comes to decisions like these, rationality comes first. There's a saying; the devil you know is better than the angel you don't and the truth is, people don't like uncertainty, the fear of the unknown was enough scare people off independence.

Kudos to Cameron & his cronies, they went to extreme lengths with their frantic last minute campaign, even as far as lobbying business leaders to speak against independence. Damn!!! Cameron especially is going to enjoy a good night rest today, this was a bruising campaign against Alex Sammond one man squad, everyone got involved, even the queen.

I'm happy Scotland stayed, & I think this process was a good thing for the UK, it will call for some serious re-think in Westmister & also pave way for new reforms like the ones announced this morning.

London Scots did a brilliant job, especially Gordon brown whom I think saved the day. Alistair darling lost his mojo after that second TV debate & the Yes campaign started stalling till Gordon brown came along.

In my opinion, Labour are the big winners here, this result will favour them a lot come 2015, & I pray so. I can't wait to see the Tories kicked out.

I think the Tories underestimated the Scots because they pretty much understood what they wanted from the get-go - more devolution of power, for Scotland to have absolute control over its destiny from Westminster and North sea oil revenue - not total separation from the union. They also believed Scotland won't just give up on all the subsidies and extra perks it gets on London. And if anything, Scotland is more of Labour and Lib Dem fight, who have a lot to lose - than the Tories. Hence they gave them two options: YES or NO - without any option to vote for devolution of powers.

However, once that backfired, and when they say the momentum shift towards "YES" with tons of Scottish academics coming out to support it, they had to throw in a bargain, based on what the majority actually wanted, veiled with discreet threats - to get them back in line. It became a vote between: vote "YES" and lose everything from London, and also watch your financial centre and the 2nd largest in the UK, with a GDP only second to London, Edinburgh, go down - or vote "NO" and get a good bargain of about 80-90% of everything you want with independence. That was what it came down to. Coupled with the fact that Alex Salmond didn't really convince anyone about his plans - apart from focusing on Scottish nationalism and North Sea oil. A Tony Blair (one of the most gifted, eloquent, and charismatic British speakers/leaders ever IMO - used to be my hero growing up before the Iraq war), if he were a proper Scot - would've done a better job.

Anyway, with the proposed devolution of powers - Labour will lose in England - but gain more in the UK as a whole. Right now, the country is moving towards only English MPs for votes about English issues. And England is overwhelmingly Tory - Labour will forever be a minority down South. Definitely not something to be happy about for the Liberals in England. It's a win for the Tories.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 19, 2014
Alex Salmond is to stand down and rightly so.

I think he has done great

People must recognise that 45% of Scotland voted for independence! Alex represented this 45% and people must recognise this.

It is right for him to stand down. Let someone else lead Scotland towards more devolution within United Kingdom.

Alex Salmond has done his bit and should hold his head up high as he bows out!

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2014

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Koolking(m): 5:11pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, the stans were already semi-autonomous in the good old Soviet union....and they broke away because thanks to oil price drops, Mother Russia could no longer afford to feed the little bear cubs wink

As for Scotland...there were the economic considerations....many companies were threatening to pull out, the oil that it relies on may run out in a few decades, and crucially, Scotland may lose funding for things like its healthcare if it went alone.

Second, there was the big picture. Scotland wanted to join the EU....and Spain (facing at least seven separatist movements) was poised to say no. Not being in the EU means that if Scotland wanted to sell or import things from the EU it may have to do so at higher prices...because not being in the embrace of Brussels means that all those free borders things do not apply at all. So, long story short...exporting and importing goods into Scotland would be expensive.

Third, those chaps at Whitehall would not let Edinburgh keep the GB Pound. And no pound means new currency...with all the risks entailed. And since Scotland does not have much to export (apart from oil)...the value of any new Scottish currency would fall at the first flotation. Leading to the Scots economy going south.

(Applying this to dear old Naija....that's why Biafra cannot secede from Nigeria...because it means that prices of foods go up...especially as most of the food eaten in the SE comes from the Nawth. And that is why the Nawth , the Middle Belt or the Southwest cannot split from Nigeria because they rely on oil too much...and on some food products like palm oil from the South[and yes...this is a rough idea before anyone jumps on me]).

[b]Self determination is good...a great idea....but you have to make sure everything else lines up. Many old soviet republics(the ones that have no oil) are not doing welll...which is why some of them are seeking economic union with Moscow or Brussels (which is what the war in Ukraine is all [/b]about....).

I gerrit bro. Succinctly, you can never compete meaningfully or ensure everything you need to survive lines up while under a master. Until you break free from the control of your master, you can never realise your ultimate potentials and self worth. Scotland and UK (as a union) are moving in a circle, they will soon come back to the same starting point, but it be with a very high price.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919: ...

Self determination is good...a great idea....but you have to make sure everything else lines up. Many old soviet republics(the ones that have no oil) are not doing welll...which is why some of them are seeking economic union with Moscow or Brussels (which is what the war in Ukraine is all about....).

Your analysis is elegant, straight to the point, and well informed. Thanks.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by abes(m): 5:44pm On Sep 19, 2014

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 50calibre(m): 6:48pm On Sep 19, 2014
shymexx:

I think the Tories underestimated the Scots because they pretty much understood what they wanted from the get-go - more devolution of power, for Scotland to have absolute control over its destiny from Westminster and North sea oil revenue - not total separation from the union. They also believed Scotland won't just give up on all the subsidies and extra perks it gets on London. And if anything, Scotland is more of Labour and Lib Dem fight, who have a lot to lose - than the Tories. Hence they gave them two options: YES or NO - without any option to vote for devolution of powers.

However, once that backfired, and when they say the momentum shift towards "YES" with tons of Scottish academics coming out to support it, they had to throw in a bargain, based on what the majority actually wanted, veiled with discreet threats - to get them back in line. It became a vote between: vote "YES" and lose everything from London, and also watch your financial centre and the 2nd largest in the UK, with a GDP only second to London, Edinburgh, go down - or vote "NO" and get a good bargain of about 80-90% of everything you want with independence. That was what it came down to. Coupled with the fact that Alex Salmond didn't really convince anyone about his plans - apart from focusing on Scottish nationalism and North Sea oil. A Tony Blair (one of the most gifted, eloquent, and charismatic British speakers/leaders ever IMO - used to be my hero growing up before the Iraq war), if he were a proper Scot - would've done a better job.

Anyway, with the proposed devolution of powers - Labour will lose in England - but gain more in the UK as a whole. Right now, the country is moving towards only English MPs for votes about English issues. And England is overwhelmingly Tory - Labour will forever be a minority down South. Definitely not something to be happy about for the Liberals in England. It's a win for the Tories.

Well all in all, both sides played their cards wisely, and the better side one. I think Tony Blair staying out of the campaign was a good idea, his credibility is almost dead so it most likely could have backfired on the Yes team.

As for the new devolution of powers, I'm still not sure what effect it will have in the general election. The Tories may possess full control of English policies, but I doubt it will make any difference in a general election and besides i don't expect something radical, Decisions on whatever English issues there might be, wont differ much from what's going on in other parts of the UK.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Fourwinds: 7:32pm On Sep 19, 2014
their unity is better. goodluck wise people
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Octaves(m): 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2014
Contrary to your opinion they voted no because of other reasons than looting. Let's hail our great united Nigeria where looting is 'impossible'and everybody is happy
godwinkessi: That's why I love reasonable countries. Some people just want independence so they can start looting.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by pedro08: 7:51pm On Sep 19, 2014
Well salmond tried his best to open d eyes of d pipo of scotland.why will d scottish allow themselves to b ruled 4rm westminster.more powers being devolved to scotland is neva d solution.if d english closed down their companies in scotland,I tink with time they will still hav a stable economy.they hav been dat path b4.BTW d queen 4 get heart attack if scotland vote 4 independence.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by holyfather(m): 8:19pm On Sep 19, 2014
RockMaxi: Like I said earlier Media coercion at work.
azin eh...
u need to see where Cameron was preaching and "threatening".
coercion at its best!

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 19, 2014
50calibre:
Well all in all, both sides played their cards wisely, and the better side one. I think Tony Blair staying out of the campaign was a good idea, his credibility is almost dead so it most likely could have backfired on the Yes team.

As for the new devolution of powers, I'm still not sure what effect it will have in the general election. The Tories may possess full control of English policies, but I doubt it will make any difference in a general election and besides i don't expect something radical, Decisions on whatever English issues there might be, wont differ much from what's going on in other parts of the UK.

I wasn't alluding to Tony Blair joining Alex Salmond - Blair is a quintessential Brit and a unionist based on his background. His biological dad was English, but he was born and raised in Scotland. Though he's English, he's more of a Scot based on how he was raised, and he engineered everything that gave more powers to holyrood during his tenure, for this independence vote to even be able to take place.

I was just citing if they had someone who has the supreme qualities for rallying people together like Tony Blair. Alex Salmond looks too goofy, rigid, and uncharismatic. Heck, David Cameron copied Tony Blair's blueprint - that was how great Blair used to be.

Anyway, let's just see how England will be governed by the Tories once the devolution comes into effect. I don't trust the Tories. The legacy of Lady Thatcher is still hanging over them.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 50calibre(m): 9:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
shymexx:

I wasn't alluding to Tony Blair joining Alex Salmond - Blair is a quintessential Brit and a unionist based on his background. His biological dad was English, but he was born and raised in Scotland. Though he's English, he's more of a Scot based on how he was raised, and he engineered everything that gave more powers to holyrood during his tenure, for this independence vote to even be able to take place.

I was just citing if they had someone who has the supreme qualities for rallying people together like Tony Blair. Alex Salmond looks too goofy, rigid, and uncharismatic. Heck, David Cameron copied Tony Blair's blueprint - that was how great Blair used to be.

Anyway, let's just see how England will be governed by the Tories once the devolution comes into effect. I don't trust the Tories. The legacy of Lady Thatcher is still hanging over them.

Oohh! I see my mistake, I meant the No campaign. I was saying it was a good thing he wasn't part of the people fronting the No campaign as it could have backfired.

Tony Blair is great, however a fallen great with a tarnished reputation. Nobody wants to listen to Tony Blair anymore, the other day Boris Johnson call him insane. A man who could have easily been one of the most respected voices not just in the UK, but globally instead gets heckled & called names while speaking in public.

Alex Sammond is a typical scot in my opinion, I've not known a typical scot to be charismatic or charming. They're usually rigid, emotionless & humourless.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
50calibre:
Oohh! I see my mistake, I meant the No campaign. I was saying it was a good thing he wasn't part of the people fronting the No campaign as it could have backfired.

Tony Blair is great, however a fallen great with a tarnished reputation. Nobody wants to listen to Tony Blair anymore, the other day Boris Johnson call him insane. A man who could have easily been one of the most respected voices not just in the UK, but globally instead gets heckled & called names while speaking in public.

Alex Sammond is a typical scot in my opinion, I've not known a typical scot to be charismatic or charming. They're usually rigid, emotionless & humourless.

Tony Blair did self-destruct with that Iraq war with the yanks. That man changed British politics forever and there will never be anyone like him. He gave the minorities and disadvantaged folks a lot - and multi-cultural UK is Tony Blair.

Lmao @ Scots being rigid, emotionless, and humourless. It must be the terrible weather lol.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by millionaireman: 9:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
Raiders: I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.
And only SELFISH REASONS make you want to have Nigeria since divided along regional lines and wrecked by violence to remain one country.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by zendy: 9:37pm On Sep 19, 2014
01emek: and who care about the Gadam oil money?? Abia state have oil, Imo state have oil, Enugu state have coal in large quantity! Amanbra state is industrious and Ebonyin state are rich in farming. Is that not enough??

Do you know that the river niger part of Amanbra state could be dreaged and open to the ocean?? Just give us 20 year as a nation and you would regret been a Nigeria.

The entire 5 Igbo states has oil,even Delta-Igboland and Rivers Igbos. Anambra is an oil producing state along with Imo and Abia. Oil is not the problem of the Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 50calibre(m): 9:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
shymexx:

Tony Blair did self-destruct with that Iraq war with the yanks. That man changed British politics forever and there will never be anyone like him. He gave the minorities and disadvantaged folks a lot - and multi-cultural UK is Tony Blair.

Lmao @ Scots being rigid, emotionless, and humourless. It must be the terrible weather lol.

Sure thing, posterity will decide his place in history, in the meantime I think he needs to disappear from public eye like his friend Bush. Let him enjoy the millions he's made in peace.

Loool have you ever seen a proper scot who isn't rigid? Tell me one. Those guys are probably the most disciplined folks in the UK, they dont tolerate shi*t.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by millionaireman: 9:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
Raiders: I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.
And only SELFISH REASONS make you want to have Nigeria since divided along regional lines and wrecked by violence to remain one country. To see how Nigerians see one Nigeria, when shall we have a type of referendum like the UK allowed for its people? Or for the sake of SELFISH PEOPLE LIKE YOU, must we all stick to one Nigeria even as it is now, every group in Nigeria is being dragged to the stone age by terrorists, and people in Nigeria being progressively dehumanized as is going on?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Missy89(f): 9:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
The skirt wearing smucks got browbeaten into rejecting self rule. BBC was very effective
They are scared about their pensions and the unconvincing answer by Salmond over on the currency issue.
Time to start rounding up the traitors starting from Salmond and his cronies

2 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 01emek(m): 9:55pm On Sep 19, 2014
zendy:

The entire 5 Igbo states has oil,even Delta-Igboland and Rivers Igbos. Anambra is an oil producing state along with Imo and Abia. Oil is not the problem of the Igbos.
But should the Dalta igbo be considered and welcomed in the larger igbo community? I thought they said they are not part of us?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by englishmart(m): 9:56pm On Sep 19, 2014
ProBlack03:

Why do you care? Scotland Na ur papa land?
ya
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by englishmart(m): 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
SpencerLewis:
We? Who sabi u bloody Naija area boy.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by englishmart(m): 9:59pm On Sep 19, 2014
OlaoChi:

You speak like a fool. Wat selfish people?? How do they want to loot
Is it not by forced unions like Uk and Nigeria that give the leaders chance to loot

Look at Nigeria for example all politicians don't want our independence because they know they can't loot our money as easily.
Esu lalu would cause confusion for Nigerian looters.
Let Oduduwa and Biafra come alive, Death to Nigeria
just shut up and stop killing my darling English
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by millionaireman: 10:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
mikeansy: Victory for democracy

At least they voted

Whether yes or no. But they voted and that's what matters

How did youguv poll of polls predict so accurately?

The orderliness of both sides win or loose is what makes the British people special

The prime minister even in victory has gone out to announce even more devolution for all regions in UK

It's victory for all in my view and Alex Salmond has every right to hold his head up high!
Yes or No win in Scotland, humanity won in the vote. Westminister, Nigeria's equivalent of Aso Rock political class has promised more devolution of powers, more concession of political/economic powers to the Scots. So Nigeria's political class must have no choice now other than devolving powers to Nigeria's regions clamouring for decentralization of powers from Abuja to the regions, in order to let One Nigeria remain.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 19, 2014
50calibre:
Sure thing, posterity will decide his place in history, in the meantime I think he needs to disappear from public eye like his friend Bush. Let him enjoy the millions he's made in peace.

Loool have you ever seen a proper scot who isn't rigid? Tell me one. Those guys are probably the most disciplined folks in the UK, they dont tolerate shi*t.

Well, he made his money and he's a life MENA ambassador for peace now. But I don't think the Afro-Caribbean community will ever forget him. He did his thing despite his imperfections, but when he came on the scene, he swept everyone away like a hurricane. That was the great Tony Blair - the one who stood up to the Queen - before Dubya and the warmongering yanks turned him out. Definitely top-5 greatest British PMs ever.

I just know them to be tight fisted, that's about it lol. Probably aggressive and belligerent like Sir Alex.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 50calibre(m): 10:35pm On Sep 19, 2014
shymexx:

Well, he made his money and he's a life MENA ambassador for peace now. But I don't think the Afro-Caribbean community will ever forget him. He did his thing despite his imperfections, but when he came on the scene, he swept everyone away like a hurricane. That was the great Tony Blair - the one who stood up to the Queen - before Dubya and the warmongering yanks turned him out. Definitely top-5 greatest British PMs ever.

I just know them to be tight fisted, that's about it lol. Probably aggressive and belligerent like Sir Alex.

He & his wife were kind of rebels, one of the reasons I liked him in the first place, he took away many of the luxurious privileges the royals used to enjoy. I'm am anti-monarchy, so I like anyone who stands up to the queen. grin

The queen is not a fan of his, she doesn't hide that.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by pazienza(m): 11:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
Have to point somethings out here.
1. Biafra didn't fail to secede because of the North food, as Biafra was and is well capable of feeding her citizens if left alone. Biafra failed because Britain,a super power willed it.

2. With or without the Eastern minorities, Biafra is not landlocked,as Igboland is not in anyway, landlocked.

3. Biafra and Igboland is not synonymous with SE,as we have many proud Igbo groups with no iota of identity crisis in Rivers( Ndoki,Asa and Egbema),Delta( Aniocha, Oshimili),Akwa ibom( Ndoki) and Benue ( Ezza/Izzi)states.

4. Biafra doesn't need any group in Nigeria to survive,any more than it needs closer ethnic groups in Cameroun or other members of human race in Africa and world over. We mustn't be chained in the same country to interact with them.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UAE Successfully Launches Hope Probe, Arab World’s First Mission To Mars / North Korea Tests Nuclear Missile Capable Of Hitting Continental Areas Of USA / Greece Wildfire– Thousands Evacuated As Out Of Control Blaze Engulfs Homes(Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.