Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,069 members, 7,835,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! (40479 Views)

A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bukatyne(f): 5:27pm On Sep 24, 2014
BABE3:

yes, some are just here to mock. As humans, we have this need to make ourselves feel better by judging others. It's innate and if it's not checked, it becomes a part of you to constantly judge and castigate.

There's a difference between what edwife is doing (asking genuine questions and passing comments) and what some others are doing. What's the meaning of "tufikwa: I can't imagine sharing my own husband.. "? Is that supposed to make the OP cry harder or envy you? undecided (not you in particular).

The most important thing is that she's trying to make the best out of the situation (as a christian); what most cannot even do.

I get people's reaction to it however I do not think the OP can be judged because she is not even at fault in this scenario.

@bolded, I thought you would have said 'as women' (sorry my eyes playing tricks)

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 5:28pm On Sep 24, 2014
BABE3:

yes, some are just here to mock. As humans, we have this need to make ourselves feel better by judging others. It's innate and if it's not checked, it becomes a part of you to constantly judge and castigate.

There's a difference between what edwife is doing (asking genuine questions and passing comments) and what some others are doing. What's the meaning of "tufikwa: I can't imagine sharing my own husband.. "? Is that supposed to make the OP cry harder or envy you? undecided (not you in particular).

The most important thing is that she's trying to make the best out of the situation (as a christian); what most cannot even do.

I love this post.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 5:29pm On Sep 24, 2014

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 5:32pm On Sep 24, 2014
BABE3:

Thank you very much.
The Op did not open this thread for all these debates on polygamy.She is from a polygamous home and in it ALREADY,she came to pour her heart out and possibly hear from other "first wives"if there is anyway she can cope with her situation.

But trust Nairalanders righteous beings,they will stop at nothing to make you feel like you are from another planet altogether.

Can we just stop for a minute and think about the op?It is not about YOU and I.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 5:34pm On Sep 24, 2014

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by macof(m): 5:38pm On Sep 24, 2014
bellong:

Trust me, you can't finish this project you are aiming at starting.

Your ilks will be the first to cry foul when it eventually goes south....

Always keep quiet on a subject you have no idea or grasp.
Wat project? Wat ever u thinking is ur damned business just address my posts

Wat subject are you talking of? that christianity is against polygamy when it's characters were ok with it or what
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:
Wat project? Wat ever u thinking is ur damned business just address my posts

Wat subject are you talking of? that christianity is against polygamy when it's characters were ok with it or what

Just for your information and before you continue to pass judgements about a religion you obviously know little about, Abraham wasn't even Christian.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by jumzzy448: 5:48pm On Sep 24, 2014
@ macof, let's not bring religion into this discussion. Let's discuss polygamy in general and not based on religion.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 5:48pm On Sep 24, 2014
@edwife
I agree with you and I hope the OP will have strength to make her own peace regardless of the some of the unpleasant contributions.

Points to note
Perfect means different thing to different people, you can create your own perfect
Some people will get married but will still be alone for the rest of their lives because of their attitude (mono or poly, don't matter)
Some will claim that they will do "a, b, c to the nth power if this happened to them, they are single now and will possibly
- remain single forever, and lonely
- become another man's second, third or nth wife
Some are married and will say "lai lai, I will not gree", when it happens to them, they will become MIA.

I pray God makes it easy for you to make the best choices.
It is not easy for any woman (forget about polling first wives). All women want to have "the man" to themselves but wants are not always needs and are not always attainable and may not always be the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 5:52pm On Sep 24, 2014
edwife:

Can we just stop for a minute and think about the op?It is not about YOU and I.

do people know the op personally in order for them to leave their OWN problems and start commiserating with hers?

the story does not even sound real, most likely recycled especially with the way certain folks are rushing in with "much sympathy" for the "first" wife.

the way i see it, she or whoever is in this situation, are only dealing with the loss of a husband. This can happen in many ways- through polygamy, cheating,becoming a widow, divorce, criminality, scamming, etc.

There are many single ladies out there, some are raising kids, not all are single because they are in the exact circumstances as the op.

Some women are married but the husbands are relentless skirt chasers day in day out, my point is everybody has their own problems they are facing.

The op is well placed, she has her job, qualifications and whatever else she needs without depending on the man. Its up to her if she wants to put up with this behaviour or not. In african culture, when your husband brings additional wives, you put up with it whether you like it or not. If thats what she wants to do, then there's no need to table the matter on nl.

what exactly does she want to do?

All this talk about first wife is irrelevant, that does not matter and is inconsequential in the larger picture.

neither is it a matter of threatening others with "when they are in the same situation"- there are millions who never even marry and are happy with their choice.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 5:59pm On Sep 24, 2014
tpia1:

do people know the op personally in order for them to leave their OWN problems and start commiserating with hers?

the story does not even sound real, most likely recycled especially with the way certain folks are rushing in with "much sympathy" for the "first" wife.

There we go again,what makes it not real?
If you read her previous thread you will notice that she complained earlier about her husband needs to sleep alone.

Do we know each and every nairalander personally who comes here to seek for solutions to their problems?From battered women,unfaithful husbands,househusbands and child's brides but when it comes to polygamy it is unreal?smh

If the story is not real why are we still here?

The op is well placed, she has her job, qualifications and whatever else she needs without depending on the man. Its up to her if she wants to put up with this behaviour or not. In african culture, when your husband brings additional wives, you put up with it whether you like it or not. If thats what she wants to do, then there's no need to table the matter on nl.

All this talk about first wife is irrelevant, that does not matter and is inconsequential in the larger picture.

And what does a wife who's husband is a cheat or abusif want in tabling her matter on Nl ?Yet it is the same advice we have on NL,Get out of the marriage isn'it?

How many talk of the first wives do we have on NL?

I don't even have strength for this matter anymore,people will do what they want to do,so?

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 6:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
tpia1:

the way i see it, she or whoever is in this situation, are only dealing with the loss of a husband. This can happen in many ways- through polygamy, cheating,becoming a widow, divorce, criminality, scamming, etc.

There are may single ladies out there, some are raising kids, not all are single because they are in the exact circumstances as the op.

Some women are married but the husbands are relentless skirt chasers day in day out, my point is everybody has their wn problems they are facing.

The op is well placed, she has her job, qualifications and whatever else she needs without depending on the man. Its up to her if she wants to put up with this behaviour or not. In african culture, when your husband brings a second wife, you put up with it whether you like it or not. If thats what she wants to do, then there's no need to table the matter on nl.

neither is it a matter of threatening others with "when they are in the same situation"- there are millions who never even marry and are happy with their choice.

@tpia1

And here I was applauding you that you have become a more sensitive person. I think it is a true story. I also assume that you are single but are you happy? If yes, good for you. Now some people are single AND miserable, some are married AND miserable (not polygamy). What I wrote was not a "threat". Approach it with an open mind and you will agree that these are things that happen everyday.

The thread is not just for the OP but the rest of us.
Now if I say I am a second wife on this forum, can you imagine the type of posts people will put out here. It is true that a faceless forum will generate the deepest vile in some people but we can still try to not lose our humanity.
I think we should all be less judgmental, it makes for a more peaceful world and that is okay too.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 24, 2014
ayinba1:

@tpia1

And here I was applauding you that you have become a more sensitive person. I think it is a true story. I also assume that you are single but are you happy? If yes, good for you. Now some people are single AND miserable, some are married AND miserable (not polygamy). What I wrote was not a "threat". Approach it with an open mind and you will agree that these are things that happen everyday.

The thread is not just for the OP but the rest of us.
Now if I say I am a second wife on this forum, can you imagine the type of posts people will put out here. It is true that a faceless forum will generate the deepest vile in some people but we can still try to not lose our humanity.
I think we should all be less judgmental, it makes for a more peaceful world and that is okay too.

I agree with you but if we truly want to be less judgmental, then we also need to understand those people, who have problems with polygamy.

@bold

You can imagine why, I guess.
I am not saying it's right, I am just saying that it's understandable.

So let us start with ourselves when it comes to judgement.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tintingz(m): 6:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
You dey live with us, see your post full of rubbish.

tpia1:

its not everything you know dear.

[s]if your half siblings (are they your half or step siblings?)[/s] were to give their own stories, it might not mirror what you're claiming.
They are my blood siblings, I don't see them as my half siblings.

For you to assume your dad's kids were happy to be raised by your mum, shows you probably are not in tune with the real situation and their true feelings. Unless your mum had been the one raising them from infancy (and even then), there is bound to be bitterness and a grudge.
What a fatuous post.

my mum raised them like she's the one that gave birth to them, if you see how they love my mum... cheesy

We are still together till date we gist, watch movies together.

You know nothing about our polygamous family. smiley

Its also possible the kids did not know each other for any significant length of time, and thus do not feel much familial bond or attachment to either the other siblings or the father (except in name). Your guess is as good as mine as to whether this is a better arrangement for polygamists. However, in the long run, from what I've observed, the psychological impact remains the same. So does the ambivalence towards the father.
Lol, these woman assumed my siblings are still little kids grin

They are grown ups and they know well what is going on around them.

...and didn't I said we are still together. smiley

nowadays, many reasons, including greed on the part of either or both the man and the women, low self esteem, missions, indiscipline, etc etc.
are you speaking for them wives?

Most women feel proud to be able to say they snatched someone's man, it makes them believe they have something over the woman whose man was snatched, ie that they are better than her and she's lacking what it takes to keep a man.

Women are their own worst enemies, and love nothing more than seeing another woman's downfall.

madam, not all women.

stop watching too much nollywood movies, you don't know what some women have gone through that pushes them to be a man second wife, speaking of our "sweet" naija society.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tintingz(m): 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Just for your information and before you continue to pass judgements about a religion you obviously know little about, Abraham wasn't even Christian.
and why was Abraham in the Christian book called bible.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tintingz(m): 6:38pm On Sep 24, 2014
bellong:

Where in the bible did God say, people should practise polygamy?

I don't discuss religion in forums, I'd rather discuss issues as they affect daily living.

Christianity is not the major reason why polygamy is kicked against. Humans generally are territorial, and no one is happy sharing what should belong to him/her alone.

Meanwhile, Abraham's polygamy wasn't an intentional choice but more of an accident. The effect of it today is a good example that Polygamy births more if evil than good.
The men of God in the bible were all polygamous, no where God frowns at them.

Isaac who maintained the monogamy marriage, what did Rebecca the wife did to their sons?
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 24, 2014
Can you all just stop bickering?!? Now you've succeeded in chasing the OP away. She couldn't even find the moral support she was seeking.

OP please, you should continue to pour your heart out here (or to anyone who isn't judgemental). You need all the emotional support you can get at this time.

May you go through this phase in sound mind and good health. It is well.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 24, 2014
tintingz: and why was Abraham in the Christian book called bible.

Christianity first emerged as a sect of Judaism, and in the beginning embraced many Judaic views and practices. Abraham is known to be one of the first Jews. Within decades of Jesus' death, Christians began distinguishing themselves from their Jewish neighbors but they have kept the Old Testament, in which most people were Jews. Abraham was not a Christian and he even wasn't a Jew in his early life. He worshipped idols in the beginning. Christianity came into existence much later. The New Testament was written after Jesus' death and is the more important part of the Bible for Christians.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 24, 2014
tintingz: The men of God in the bible were all polygamous, no where God frowns at them.

Isaac who maintained the monogamy marriage, what did Rebecca the wife did to their sons?

Are you a Christian?

Have you taken the time to study this religion?

If you answer both questions with a no, it's better you stop discussing it before you learn a few things about this religion.

I am not discussing Islam with Muslims because I am not well informed, so please, do the same.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Shirley07: 6:55pm On Sep 24, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Are you a Christian?

Have you taken the time to study this religion?

If you answer both questions with a no, it's better you stop discussing it before you learn a few things about this religion.

I am not discussing Islam with Muslims because I am not too well informed, so please, do the same.
Exactly.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by touchmeder: 7:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
Unfortunately this thread has veered off course. Please read op's 1st entry on this thread, and you'd see its just taken on a life of its own. Unfollows thread 4now (I'd probably come in if op returns)

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 7:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
Shirley07:
The fact that he didn't want to bore his children with such story doesn't mean
he didn't have some unresolved issues.
My dad is also from a polygamous home and eventhough he and his siblings have a good relationship, he doesn't want such home for his family. I tell you, no one comes from such home unscathed!

Untrue generalization. Many people also come out scarred from monogamous homes. Many people have beautiful polygamous homes.

The reason why some men do not practise polygamy is simply because of finances or the responsibility involved.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

Untrue generalization. Many people also come out scarred from monogamous homes. Many people have beautiful polygamous homes.

The reason why some men do not practise polygamy is simply because of finances or the responsibility involved.

Yes, and others are considerate of their wife's feelings. Many reasons why some men do not want to be married to multiple wives.

9 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by soonest(f): 8:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
TV01:
The obvious one you are in denial about.

Monogamy is superior simply because it gives equal agency to both partners and provides the ideal setting to meet their individual needs and requirements of their children. Polygamy does not enhance it in any way and introduces a slew of issues and potential problems.

Alternatively you can simply explain why monogamy is not superior or why polygamy is superior, instead of asserting it's just as good and merely a choice - like attending OAU or Harvard. Apologies to OAU'ites grin!

How glaring? And yet the girl who finds romance with someone else is not simply free to introduce fyneflyguy to the marital home? All you've done here is state that polygamy is about mens desires - as I've maintained all along.

I fully appreciate that some people, cultures, or religions practice it and that some jurisdictions have legalised it. Neither am I being prescriptive about it - merely descriptive. As you yourself have outlined, monogamy is superior - starting with it's fairness and equally valuing both parties.

Emotive and funny. In polygamy, the real choices are with the man. The womans choice is whether to accept the mans choice - which is no choice really.

And polygamy introduces complexes for women by it's very design. But of course, a "multiple" wife has to form differently or face the truth of her situation.

The most laughable part of all, polygamy is exactly that - all about what the men think cheesy!

All very emotive but with no real substance. And the people affirming your posts well know this - so don't comment.

And way to argue that men and their desires have primacy over women and their needs.

TV
Tv, I swear you sabi English and ur argument is with superior reasoning. Pls ride on

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 8:11pm On Sep 24, 2014

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by cococandy(f): 8:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
Nope, polygamy by definition makes women inferior. In agency, in need and in worth. It's a little sad that a woman would actually argue for it.

TV
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by cococandy(f): 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
One can see you're eager to make this a religious bashing thing.

No Abraham isn't the role model. Christ is.stop being dane!
macof:

In other words Abraham shouldn't be a role model in christianity

It's either that or Christianity is hypocritical

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by soonest(f): 8:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

In this life, we do not always get what we prefer , we sometimes have to make the best of what is.

That is the key to happiness.
If polygamy is so beautiful as u guys claim, why is it not a number one preference. Why is Op feeling the way she does? Why is it that many ladies that their religion permit polygamy still don't want to share?

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 8:20pm On Sep 24, 2014

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 8:20pm On Sep 24, 2014

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 8:25pm On Sep 24, 2014
@tpia1

Be more sensitive, that is not too much to ask. No one asked you to support polygamy but reduce the toxicity and no, you do not have to recognize my moniker. Your response(s) speaks for itself.

The thread has been derailed, adults who fail to follow simple directions. People should stop dumping the negatives of their lives on others because it is online.

Not your place to tell people to engage in polygamy or otherwise, grow up!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by soonest(f): 8:25pm On Sep 24, 2014
bellong:

You can ask your question with decorum. Don't turn this thread to religious war. This is how it starts.

Be civil pls.
Well said. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply)

Oyibo Man Pounds Yam For His African Wife / Would You Forgive Your Husband Who Got Your Maid Pregnant? / How She Changed A Cheating Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.