Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

The World's Most Powerful Passports. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The World's Most Powerful Passports. (52306 Views)

10 Most Powerful Passports In The World / World's Most Powerful Passports. Guess Where Nigeria Falls / The Best Passports For Unrestricted Travel Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 7:32am On Sep 21, 2014
Lucasbalo: I have worked in the London office of my Hedge Fund company and believe me, will stay with my US office.

When you say work do you mean for a few day? With a UK passport and assuming I worked for a consulting firm or a bank, I can travel to the us for meetings or to work on projects/deals less than 90 days and vice versa. For me to relocate to live and work in the states I will need a L1/L2 visa to transfer or H1 to join a new employer. Same with the us passport. You will need a UK work permit.

My point was with the uk passport you can move live and work in any of the EU countries without a visa. This is not to say us passport isn't great. It is and comes with similar benefits for ease of travel.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 21, 2014
ttmacoy:

When you say work do you mean for a few day? With a UK passport and assuming I worked for a consulting firm or a bank, I can travel to the us for meetings or to work on projects/deals less than 90 days and vice versa. For me to relocate to live and work in the states I will need a L1/L2 visa to transfer or H1 to join a new employer. Same with the us passport. You will need a UK work permit.

My point was with the uk passport you can move live and work in any of the EU countries without a visa. This is not to say us passport isn't great. It is and comes with similar benefits for ease of travel.

Work is not the end of it all for seasoned folks.

What about quality of life, ease of getting things done with proper process, outdoor activities (with all that damn snow of yours in Blighty), sports, outdoorsman stuff.

Look at things in from a wider viewpoint.

PS: Yes it snows in the US too but in ho many states and for how long?
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by rawsh247(m): 7:51am On Sep 21, 2014
The UK citizens shld not be allowed to any country these days, they're more of extremist now.,
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ayusco85(m): 7:52am On Sep 21, 2014
CityNG:

For sure and we're making progress, not as fast as most hoped but progress none the less.

It' just that some of us remember who good things were in the 70's/80's and then things took a backwards slide.

I remember going to UK with no visa (we didn't need visas back then) and even when I came to the US folks were intrigued and had lots of cultural questions to ask about Nigeria. Then slowly it became about 419 and stuff.

My dad has told me good stories about Nigeria of the 60's 70's and 80's. I will say we had a country to be proud of then but we spoilt it with our own hands. I will never forgive Babangida for what he did to Nigerian economy with S.A.P nonsense.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 7:58am On Sep 21, 2014
Turbocharged: Thats no much difference between the man that is travelling with visa and the one travelling without. Either of them could be denied entry at the port of enty

Hahaha there is a big difference. Is it the unnecessary time spent applying for visa? I always got got it but it was a pain taking time to go submit, collect, gathering documents etc.

Or is it the day my wife (then girlfriend) and I arrived Heathrow from holiday just before a flight from Ghana. Men see queue. My wife went through with British passport, collected our bags and was sleeping by the time I came out.

A UK or us type passport gives great flexibility. I remember those days of we need you at a meeting in Frankfurt, oh yeah your passport, we need you to go to new York for a meeting with the project sponsorship yeah you need a visa. There is a big difference
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 8:06am On Sep 21, 2014
CityNG:

Work is not the end of it all for seasoned folks.

What about quality of life, ease of getting things done with proper process, outdoor activities (with all that damn snow of yours in Blighty), sports, outdoorsman stuff.

Look at things in from a wider viewpoint.

PS: Yes it snows in the US too but in ho many states and for how long?

This isn't a UK is better than US point but just a Point on an advantage of the UK passport. They are both great passports.

And no moving isn't all about work which is why you see people move to places like Spain, South of France etc for better quality of life and weather.

Not exactly sure what your point is.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Symphony007: 8:11am On Sep 21, 2014
saxywale:
God save the Queen grin
why won't it be the most powerful? Even when you open the first page of the passport what you see is "her brittanic majesty's secretary of state request's and requires in the name of her majesty" who won't obey such a command? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 21, 2014
ayusco85:

My dad has told me good stories about Nigeria of the 60's 70's and 80's. I will say we had a country to be proud of then but we spoilt it with our own hands. I will never forgive Babangida for what he did to Nigerian economy with S.A.P nonsense.

When I was growing up in Ibadan we had Scala, Odeon, KS and Queens cinema to go to watch movies (honest to god movie theaters not some mall fiasco that we have now), we had Kingsway, Leventis and UTC to go shopping at. I mean for crying out loud Kingsway was three floors of shopping and Leventis was at least two. Now we're celebrating ShopRite

We had landline phones in our houses, running water and yes we had electricity outage but I do not recollect once wearing an unironed shirt to work because light was adequate maybe they'll take it down for an hour or so in a day.

I left Nigeria when I was 19 and I already owned three cars and many super bikes (Triumph Tiger, BMW, Norton Commando).

The sad thing for me to see are some of the youths of the day that were born in 1990 and above, they do not know what they are missing.

There was night life in Ibadan, IICC was reigning, Ranger of Enugu were our sworn enemies, we used to follow the teams around whenever they had an away game. My friends and I used to leave Ijebu Ode to go convoy with other Guys in Abeokuta at 9PM to go to shrine to see Fela and we will come back at 3am. There were road blocks and the Police will stop is and as long as we had out school IDs, they'll pass us through. The Police were truly our friends back then. I think all these struggles is what is turning them into common crooks (not making any excuse for them).

But sha god dey and I hope someone finally sees the light and stops the thievery in high places and really start working on internal projects.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 21, 2014
Symphony007: why won't it be the most powerful? Even when you open the first page of the passport what you see is "her brittanic majesty's secretary of state request's and requires in the name of her majesty" who won't obey such a command? grin grin grin

We don't need no pesky Queen stuff, just knowing that "our resolve is great and our reach is long" is enough to scare any border agent to not mess with us. When I say any country I mean any country that any sane human being would want to visit so you can cross off DRKP, Iran and any country that ends with stan grin

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 21, 2014
ttmacoy:

This isn't a UK is better than US point but just a Point on an advantage of the UK passport. They are both great passports.

And no moving isn't all about work which is why you see people move to places like Spain, South of France etc for better quality of life and weather.

Not exactly sure what your point is.

Stop it, you know damn well what my point was.

It is exactly a US is better than UK, passport wise, debate.

Look, I'm not here to sweet talk you. If you don't agree with my opinion too bad mate, you can shove off.
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ayusco85(m): 8:25am On Sep 21, 2014
CityNG:

When I was growing up in Ibadan we had Scala, Odeon, KS and Queens cinema to go to watch movies (honest to god movie theaters not some mall fiasco that we have now), we had Kingsway, Leventis and UTC to go shopping at. I mean for crying out loud Kingsway was three floors of shopping and Leventis was at least two. Now we're celebrating ShopRite

We had landline phones in our houses, running water and yes we had electricity outage but I do not recollect once wearing an unironed shirt to work because light was adequate maybe they'll take it down for an hour or so in a day.

I left Nigeria when I was 19 and I already owned three cars and many super bikes (Triumph Tiger, BMW, Norton Commando).

The sad thing for me to see are some of the yours of the day that were born in 1990 and above, they do not know what they are missing.

There was night life in Ibadan, IICC was reigning, Ranger of Enugu were our sworn enemies, reused to follow the teams around whenever they had an away game. My friend sand I used to leave Ijebu Ode to go convoy with other Guys in Abeokuta at 9PM to go to shrine to see Fela and we will come back at 3am. There were road blocks and the Police will stop is and as long as we had out school IDs, they'll pass us through. The Police were truly our friends back then. I think all these struggles is what is turning them into common crooks (not making any excuse for them).

But sha god dey and I hope someone finally sees the light and stops the thievery in high places and really start working on internal projects.

Its all left to us to sit down and figure out where we got it all wrong. Then startt fixing our country. If we don't, time will come when our passport can't guarantee u access into any country aside Nigeria and maybe Niger republic. Let's unite and say no to corruption and bad leadership. Things ought to be done right in Nigeria and by Nigerians.
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 8:29am On Sep 21, 2014
CityNG:

Stop it, you know damn well what my point was.

It is exactly a US is better than UK, passport wise, debate.

Look, I'm not here to sweet talk you. If you don't agree with my opinion too bad mate, you can shove off.

Chief my post was in response to lucasbolo's post, and as I said uk, us passport even Canada are great and I will be happy with either, but I stand by my point that the UK and major European passports have added advantage of easy movement across borders within Europe to live be it for work, better life, weather or whatever reason.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 9:01am On Sep 21, 2014
How many people from those called powerful passports-countries even use the so called passports or even visit the so called place?

Big players do not need exemption of any kind, money is their passports

So rubbish my abode is the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 21, 2014
I guess your passport was so powerful and recognised before GEJ came in..
Mumu

XketchDesigns: GEJ till 20.... grin
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Lucasbalo(m): 9:10am On Sep 21, 2014
ttmacoy:

I get your points. I don't want to go into which country is better. Am just telling you that because I can easily transfer to work in any of our offices in Europe or Asia or even the Africa regional h/q in SA. The work visa is a formality that would be taken care of corporately. A lots of Eastern Europeans moving into Western Europe have stressed their economies. That's a down side for the EU.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Lucasbalo(m): 9:13am On Sep 21, 2014
CityNG:

The sad thing for me to see are some of the yours of the day that were born in 1990 and above, they do not know what they are missing.

There was night life in Ibadan, IICC was reigning, Ranger of Enugu were our sworn enemies, reused to follow the teams around whenever they had an away game. My friend sand I used to leave Ijebu Ode to go convoy with other Guys in Abeokuta at 9PM to go to shrine to see Fela and we will come back at 3am. There were road blocks and the Police will stop is and as long as we had out school IDs, they'll pass us through. The Police were truly our friends back then. I think all these struggles is what is turning them into common crooks (not making any excuse for them).

Gbam. You are spot on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Lucasbalo(m): 9:23am On Sep 21, 2014
CityNG:

Nice.

When I hear people lambast the US I immediately know that it is an untravelled person.

When you've had the chance to really travel to different countries then what we have in the US, even with all the minimal stress, is a god sent.

He who feels it knows it.
I agree with you but you know we have some people here on nairaland that have pathological hatred for the West especially US or Britain. I once told someone on nairaland couple weeks ago that US is the most benevolent country in the world. Will pick olé USA over any country even with all her faults.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 9:26am On Sep 21, 2014
Lucasbalo: I get your points. I don't want to go into which country is better. Am just telling you that because I can easily transfer to work in any of our offices in Europe or Asia or even the Africa regional h/q in SA. The work visa is a formality that would be taken care of corporately. A lots of Eastern Europeans moving into Western Europe have stressed their economies. That's a down side for the EU.

Fair points. I love both countries.

Immigration is a dicey issue here and I don't think the conservatives have the answer but that's another story.

How's life across the pond? Are you based in NY?
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 9:27am On Sep 21, 2014
[quote author=ttmacoy]

[/quote
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by IYANGBALI: 9:30am On Sep 21, 2014
jennykadry: Cheiii a whole giant of africa? Gambia pass us? cheii

Did you say 173 countries with British passport? Okay I need to find me a British second husband. Coogar, R231, Sagamite a.k.a my sagalicious milo. Chaircover I can fit marry your son. Edwife- please bring ed junior my way. The best wife any man can ask for is a cougar wife grin. Efemena, bring me your teenage sons ejo..

Volunteers please
giant of africa?if I hear that for your mouth again
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Lucasbalo(m): 9:35am On Sep 21, 2014
ttmacoy:

Fair points. I love both countries.

Immigration is a dicey issue here and I don't think the conservatives have the answer but that's another story.

How's life across the pond? Are you based in NY?
Chicago, Illinois the best big city in US.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by ttmacoy: 9:51am On Sep 21, 2014
Lucasbalo: Chicago, Illinois the best big city in US.

Nice smiley my dream city. I'm actually working in a transfer to Chicago fingers crossed. Is it ok to reach out to you when it works out for tips on settling down hopefully early next year
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Lucasbalo(m): 9:57am On Sep 21, 2014
ttmacoy:

Nice smiley my dream city. I'm actually working in a transfer to Chicago fingers crossed. Is it ok to reach out to you when it works out for tips on settling down hopefully early next year
Sure. Its a great city despite the tripe that some people are spouting about crime. It's purely politics from the right wing because of their hatred for Obama. It's a metropolitan city of 9 million people with good job opportunities and fairly cheap compared to New York or Los Angeles. The only downside is the bitter winter and you will get used to that.

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by millionaireman: 10:33am On Sep 21, 2014
debayun: Nawa for naija
For some people, so long as crude oil money is coming and being shared among the states, Nigeria can even return to the stone age, they do not care. They call you ugly names when you point out that Nigeria failed in so many things. They claim to be the most sophisticated lot. So long as Eko has high rise buildings more than other cities in Nigeria, they see Nigeria among the most progressive countries in the world.

2 Likes

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Chinom(m): 10:53am On Sep 21, 2014
pansophist:

Blame the government.

Only of recent (about 30 years ago) that a Nigerian will travel abroad and will choose to stay, there was not a reason to go abroad in the first place as things was working fine during the post-independence era. If Nigeria becomes a dream country for us today, do not be surprise to see many Black Americans, Carribeans, and black all over the world immigrating here to feel.

Check out Finland and Ireland, many of them immigrated to US when things were not going on well in their country, but after that, they immigrated back.

Do not underestimate the human innate ability to search for a better life, which people will want to achieve legally or illegally.

Blaming the government is escapist. People who do not want to take responsibilty for their actions. I can write 10 pages on why you should not blame the govt for the fact that Nigerians ruined the image of the country. But i don't have te time for that. I just have a few questions for you. How many people from Zimbabwe, Botwsana, Papua new guinea have you come across in US, Uk or Europe. Those are not particuarly rich countries.
Coming closer to home; how many young Hausa men do you see in US, Uk or Europe. The mentality of the people of Southern Nigeria killed our Nigerian passport. Desparation and greed was the reason most of them abused their visa conditions. If every Nigerian that travelled abroad respected their visas, we will still have access to many countries visa free. You will be shocked to know what most Edo, Yoruba, Igbo and Warri people had to go through inorder to obtain that US or UK passport. The young man from Zamfara or Yobe is not that desparate or greedy. They are content with their life.
Do not put the blame on the govt. The honest truth is that most us in the south were desparate to move to the west because of pressures from our immidiate sorroundings
Besides, embassys DO NOT give visas to poor people. Those Nigerians that stayed 6 years on a visitor's visa presented themslves as rich people at the various embassys. So the arguement that Nigeria is a poor country, hence the devalued passport does not hold water.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Eyop: 11:04am On Sep 21, 2014
Chinom:

Blaming the government is escapist. People who do not want to take responsibilty for their actions. I can write 10 pages on why you should not blame the govt for the fact that Nigerians ruined the image of the country. But i don't have te time for that. I just have a few questions for you. How many people from Zimbabwe, Botwsana, Papua new guinea have you come across in US, Uk or Europe. Those are not particuarly rich countries.
Coming closer to home; how many young Hausa men do you see in US, Uk or Europe. The mentality of the people of Southern Nigeria killed our Nigerian passport. Desparation and greed was the reason most of them abused their visa conditions. If every Nigerian that travelled abroad respected their visas, we will still have access to many countries visa free. You will be shocked to know what most Edo, Yoruba, Igbo and Warri people had to go through inorder to obtain that US or UK passport. The young man from Zamfara or Yobe is not that desparate or greedy. They are content with their life.
Do not put the blame on the govt. The honest truth is that most us in the south were desparate to move to the west because of pressures from our immidiate sorroundings
Besides, embassys DO NOT give visas to poor people. Those Nigerians that stayed 6 years on a visitor's visa presented themslves as rich people at the various embassys. So the arguement that Nigeria is a poor country, hence the devalued passport does not hold water.

1 bottle of Heineken and 1 plate of Fresh fish pepper soup for you cool.
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by pansophist(m): 11:16am On Sep 21, 2014
Chinom:

Blaming the government is not an escapism, if the government has made Nigeria better in terms of infrastructures, jobs and other social amenities that will make the mass comfortable, then I see no reason why Nigerians will commit much heinous crime abroad in order to obtain residnecy. Emigration from Nigeria also started skyrocketing as things begins to go bad in the country, it was not in this case in the past 30 years, so why now? why the sudden desperation of change and mentality?

The country you mentioned as a defense to your post doesnt support whatt you are trying to prove.. Botswana population is about 2million, Botswana is so small and Botswana is one of the good countries to live in Africa, their passport can take you to many countries and the government are up to their task. Zimbabwe in the second hand is a very small country too compare to Nigeria, their government trying to make life comfortable for its citizens and are not in the same league as Nigeria.

Papua new guinea is also a very bad example too, with a population of about 7million people (even as small as it is), PNG are scattered all over Australia in detention camps, seeking asylum and trying anything possible to leave the country, they dont have to go to Europe, US before you are convinced that they do not have the same mindset of fleeing if given the opportunity. PNG is geographically closer to Australia, and just like Mexicans flee to US at any given opportunity, the same applies to citizens of PNG too.

If you combine the population of the three countries you mentioned, it is slightly over the population of Lagos state (one of the 36 states of Nigeria) alone, so why compare them to Nigeria?

I reiterate, if Nigerian government make Nigeria a favourable place to live, Nigerians wont be destroying the image of the country offshore, it is years of malfuntioning that has gone so bad that the average mindset is to immigrate legally or illegally, and it is common with the folks in the lower rung of the social ladder. The citizens are to be blame too, but they are just a victim of a society that care less about them.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by lagcity(m): 11:18am On Sep 21, 2014
Lucasbalo: Chicago, Illinois the best big city in US.

Are you being sarcastic or something? grin grin grin
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by lagcity(m): 11:22am On Sep 21, 2014
Chinom:

You have some valid points. However, being "contented" and resigning to a life of misery and poverty is not how great countries/peoples got where they are.
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by Eyop: 11:27am On Sep 21, 2014
pansophist:

Blaming the government is not an escapism, if the government has made Nigeria better in terms of infrastructures, jobs and other social amenities that will make the mass comfortable, then I see no reason why Nigerians will commit much heinous crime abroad in order to obtain residnecy. Emigration from Nigeria also started skyrocketing as things begins to go bad in the country, it was not in this case in the past 30 years, so why now? why the sudden desperation of change and mentality?

The country you mentioned as a defense to your post doesnt support whatt you are trying to prove.. Botswana population is about 2million, Botswana is so small and Botswana is one of the good countries to live in Africa, their passport can take you to many countries and the government are up to their task. Zimbabwe in the second hand is a very small country too compare to Nigeria, their government trying to make life comfortable for its citizens and are not in the same league as Nigeria.

Papua new guinea is also a very bad example too, PNG are scattered all over Australia in detention camps, seeking asylum and trying anything possible to leave the country, they dont have to go to Europe, US before you are convinced that they do not have the same mindset of fleeing if given the opportunity. PNG is geographically closer to Australia, and just like Mexicans flee to US at any given opportunity, the same applies to citizens of PNG too.

If you combine the population of the three countries you mentioned, it is slightly over the population of Lagos state (one of the 36 states of Nigeria) alone, so why compare them to Nigeria?

I reiterate, if Nigerian government make Nigeria a favourable place to live, Nigerians wont be destroying the image of the country offshore, it is years of malfuntioning that has gone so bad that the average mindset is to immigrate legally or illegally, and it is common with the folks in the lower rung of the social ladder. The citizens are to be blame too, but they are just a victim of a society that care less about them.

Another good points from you too. 1 bottle of Satzenbrau(skirt and blouse) and 1 plate of point and kill for you cool

1 Like

Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by justwise(m): 11:44am On Sep 21, 2014
pansophist:

Papua new guinea is also a very bad example too, PNG are scattered all over Australia in detention camps, seeking asylum and trying anything possible to leave the country, they dont have to go to Europe, US before you are convinced that they do not have the same mindset of fleeing if given the opportunity. PNG is geographically closer to Australia, and just like Mexicans flee to US at any given opportunity, the same applies to citizens of PNG too.

Do you really believe that? China is a very wealthy country but at the same time many Chinese are committing as much heinous crimes in the UK as most Nigerians, you don't blame the govt for crimes Nigerians commit outside Nigeria.
This got little to do with Nigerian govt not developing the country, America and the UK etc are very developed countries and their govt look after them but their citizens engage in frauds in much larger scale than Nigerians, do you blame their govt?

Nigerians outside Nigeria commit crimes purely because they are greedy.
Re: The World's Most Powerful Passports. by pansophist(m): 11:55am On Sep 21, 2014
justwise:

Do you really believe that? China is a very wealthy country but at the same time many Chinese are committing as much heinous crimes in the UK as most Nigerians, you don't blame the govt for crimes Nigerians commit outside Nigeria.
This got little to do with Nigerian govt not developing the country, America and the UK etc are very developed countries and their govt look after them but their citizens engage in frauds in much larger scale than Nigerians, do you blame their govt?

Nigerians outside Nigeria commit crimes purely because they are greedy.

Now you table a very balanced point unlike chinom. He made it appear as if Nigerians are the only one commiting crime abroad, Third world nationals are all commiting crime abroad too. The Pakis, Indians, Chinese, Polish etc

What I am simply trying to pass out is that it wont get to this extent if the affairs of the citizens are not neglected, and given the fact that this crime of a thing got to an escalating degree after post-independence calls for logical reasoning. Why will the citizen immigrate when they feel comfortable? most folks that I know in Nigeria that are comfortable only go abroad for holidays and visit, not to live or try to commit one crime or the other.

Human natural instinct (searching for a better life) will always prevail legally or illegally, it's all a survival method but different circumstances influence the direction of which it will talke.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ibadan To Lagos Train Stuck In The Forest As Fuel Finishes (pictures) / GEJ Trekker, OladeleNihi Involved In Accident (Photos) / Flight That Took Off In 2017 And Landed In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.