Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? (19873 Views)

Parents Or Intending Parents, You Must Read This / Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by olodoowoh: 7:10am On Sep 26, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Whose responsibility it is . . . , not "whose responsibility is it . . ."
bros, is this where we are? We need to correct our post below. What do you think?

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by yomtolly(f): 7:14am On Sep 26, 2014
i think parent is more proper, but the problem is that parent in not comfortable because our society still think sex should not be discuss with umarried people, even married people still shy away from discussing sex.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Mustiboy(m): 7:15am On Sep 26, 2014
as a kid, i use 2 think sex was a sin and a bad thing majorly. i even fought with my friend the day he told me that my parents had to sex before they gave birth 2 me. i even reported him 2 his mother telling her dat her son accused my parents of having sex. telling her dat they never did and never will do dat its a bad thing. but now, oju ti la, no sex no pikin

2 Likes

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by ibietela2(m): 7:16am On Sep 26, 2014
When the school and parents are dragging who is more holy in the sight of "God"
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Philadelphia: 7:29am On Sep 26, 2014
grin
Mustiboy: as a kid, i use 2 think sex was a sin and a bad thing majorly. i even fought with my friend the day he told me that my parents had to sex before they gave birth 2 me. i even reported him 2 his mother telling her dat her son accused my parents of having sex. telling her dat they never did and never will do dat its a bad thing. but now, oju ti la, no sex no pikin

The bolded is hilarious. grin
Mustiboy: as a kid, i use 2 think sex was a sin and a bad thing majorly. i even fought with my friend the day he told me that my parents had to sex before they gave birth 2 me. i even reported him 2 his mother telling her dat her son accused my parents of having sex. telling her dat they never did and never will do dat its a bad thing. but now, oju ti la, no sex no pikin

The bolded is hilarious.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Philadelphia: 7:34am On Sep 26, 2014
embarassed embarassed

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Yarn2me(m): 7:45am On Sep 26, 2014
Parents only!
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Obanleowo(m): 7:53am On Sep 26, 2014
parents
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by gbishman: 8:00am On Sep 26, 2014
Both
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 26, 2014
I think the home as well as the school..I will not make the mistake my mom did with me with my daughthers in the futur,she was conservative.once my daughthers is 7/8 yrs,i will tell the raw truth about sex,everything!Once they start experimenting with my bra,make ups,then i will knows its time.For those thinks to them is an indication that they want to look beautiful nd matured like movie stars,role models and grown ups.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by metrotilenig(f): 8:28am On Sep 26, 2014
Idealy, sex education would be provided by the parents or guardian. Unfortunately, too many parents are not available. It seems logical that the school could then provide sex education, because having a good sense of sexuality is an important factor for all kids, as they are maturing.

That being said, if parents are not available, and sex education is no longer provided in schools, perhaps it takes a village to raise a child, and we can ALL be better role models for children and young adults?

==========================================================
lalasticlala: Many schools in the country don't really give comprehensive sex-education. And, unfortunately, most parents are uncomfortable to talk to their kids about sex. Hence, youngsters end up getting partial or even incorrect information from the internet.
Some also get misleading information from peers and the wrong people.

In my opinion, teenagers MUST receive proper information about safe sex practices before they engage in sexual practices.

But, who's responsibility is it to give it to them?

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by obomobo: 8:30am On Sep 26, 2014
both and if they refuse d guy outside will teach her
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 26, 2014
I
think the home as well as the school..I will not make the mistake my
mom did with me with my daughthers in the futur,she was
conservative.once my daughthers is 7/8 yrs,i will tell the raw truth
about sex,everything!Once they start experimenting with my bra,make
ups,then i will knows its time.For those thinks to them is an indication
that they want to look beautiful nd matured like movie stars,role
models and grown ups.In a society of closet perverts,anything horrible thing can happen,but it won't happen to my daughthers while i am still alive.please for women needs to teach their daughthers enuf,and don't ever bring a teenage male relative into the home of still growing daugthers.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by deavicky(m): 8:36am On Sep 26, 2014
boyfriend becos they will ve the opportunity of doing the practicals therefore understanding will high
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by saffrons(m): 8:38am On Sep 26, 2014
It is sorely the responsibility of the parents which their creator has already instill in them, God has assigned that duty of caring and teaching their children all that they need to know deut: 6: 6- 8. But most parents has shy away from this God given responsibility in an attempt to make ends meet(ends that never meet), the become pre-occupied with irrelevant or not urgent issues and give little or no time to the needs and attention of their children. The closeness will not be there as the parents will now see the children as a foreign body, that relationship that suppose to exist between parents and children will not be there that instead of the children to confide in their parents, they rather confide in their peers who are as in-experienced as the are, and for sure, it will be a misleading advice indeed.

But when parents spend quality time with the children, play with them, always being around them, they see you as a friend, this issue of being shy in spelling out their respective sex organ will not be there, it will even come naturally.be raw with them, Don't just tell them not to do it, emphasize your reasons why it should not be done and the consequences that follows.

Schools and peers is not the best place to teach your children such things, their ideas can be distorted, the person teaching is also a human like us or at worst a single or married bachelor/spinster who may not have cultivated the right values and may have engaged in one form of immorality or the other and at such times view them as normal, he or she may not have the freeness of speech like you who is legally married and wants the best for your kids.
The best advice and training that one can must receive will and must come from the biological parents of the kids.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by tman4real21(m): 8:52am On Sep 26, 2014
the parents should be much concern in building their children's moral values not s*x education.Once ur kids' moral value is high, dnt panic. The school should only teach what is in their scheme of work abt Reproduction at their level. With time, da child will learn on his own at da appropiate tym. This very case is sensitive, they only need guidlines and daily prayers. Naturally, children wld always learn what ever that comes around them. Da female shld b directed on how to take care of dia body.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by fpeter(f): 8:57am On Sep 26, 2014
shared responsibility, dual responsibility.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by sarutobie(m): 9:02am On Sep 26, 2014
now I begin to have more respect for the secondary school I attended (FGC enugu)..we were taught the abc of sex education from JS3-SS3..The parents also have a role to play too.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Mujinho4b(m): 9:08am On Sep 26, 2014
Both are important..
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Ybholy(m): 9:32am On Sep 26, 2014
father
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by flylykace: 9:32am On Sep 26, 2014
greatgod2012:

Not trying to condemn your opinion, but you know we're here to share ideas, to learn from one another.

Why should the school be the best bet, when the kids spend at most nine hours in the school out of the 24 hours we have daily, when those there do not understand the peculiarity of induvidual kids in their care?

And why will responsible parents not be comfortable discussing sex education with their children.....what is wrong in letting your kids know the real names of their sex organs and their functions?

Not every parents are educated not to talk of giving their children sex education
Somebody like me, I grew up in my uncle's house whose children are in abroad and he never thought me about sex and never had the opportunity to learn such from my parent(instead from my school when I was in JSS2 ie integrated science(respiration) by Olalaa)grin
Not that both my parent and my uncle are not educated rather he(my uncle) feels telling me might corrupt me cool
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by miqos02(m): 9:32am On Sep 26, 2014
both
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by jantavanta(m): 9:35am On Sep 26, 2014
We no longer have age-grade or coming-of-age ceremonies to teach children in a group, because we have "advanced" (to where?).
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by helphelp: 9:39am On Sep 26, 2014
greatgod2012:

Not trying to condemn your opinion, but you know we're here to share ideas, to learn from one another.

Why should the school be the best bet, when the kids spend at most nine hours in the school out of the 24 hours we have daily, when those there do not understand the peculiarity of induvidual kids in their care?

And why will responsible parents not be comfortable discussing sex education with their children.....what is wrong in letting your kids know the real names of their sex organs and their functions?

24hrs in 1 day...

An average parent spends 9hrs at work

About 2-3hrs on the road to get home

Watch TV and gist with each other for about 3hrs before bed( At this time kiddos are sleeping)

They crash/sleep for another 7hrs....

It goes on like that all week long, except for weekends

In which case, the parents have only about 1 or 2hrs in the evening to play catch up with their kids, and about 1:30mins to prepare for school and work respectively.

And you compare that to 9hrs spent in school with their teachers....

IMHO, it's both ways...parents have a part to play and also does the school
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by butanep(m): 9:45am On Sep 26, 2014
Guykhena:

where did I mention it being wrong? A bit confused here,,,, cus I know "Not-Comfortable" is different from the word "Wrong"... And at bolded am pretty sure there's a thing in school called "Biology"(just pointing out)..
A survey carried out in 2012 showed a 'large' percentage of parents shy away from sex education when it comes to talking to their kids,,and when they do get into the conversation they always tend to manipulate words(which leaves the kids confused) instead going in raw(its uneasy for most,and an "Awkward Moment" fills the room)....

But when it comes to School,there's no string attached,they give it to the kids as it is,, and kids grow up with mindset that they go to school to learn,and what the teachers give to them,its more easier for kids to grab it in, than what parents give to them(hardly pay attention)..

You would agree with me that there are some instructions a teacher may pass unto a kid(in this case student),and the kid won't hesitate in carrying it out ,but when it comes to parents its an another ball game entirely...
my dear you re very right... parents gallantly shy away from giving their kids sex education. Most of what I learnt about sex was either from my teachers or friends or the internet...
Most parents have failed in that regard... let them know the names of the sex organs, their function and how to keep them clean and healthy, but they failed...
It's even a problem in schools nowadays because they see teachers who talk about sex education as a spoiled and corrupt person. Management in school will not even encourage teacher to teach such topic in the lower class in sch.
Both our parents and teachers have failed but the internet never failed in educating the kids...

1 Like

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by butanep(m): 9:54am On Sep 26, 2014
tman4real21: the parents should be much concern in building their children's moral values not s*x education.Once ur kids' moral value is high, dnt panic. The school should only teach what is in their scheme of work abt Reproduction at their level. With time, da child will learn on his own at da appropiate tym. This very case is sensitive, they only need guidlines and daily prayers. Naturally, children wld always learn what ever that comes around them. Da female shld b directed on how to take care of dia body.
what are you even saying? Moral values and sex education is what most kid need. We re not saying we should expose the to sex but to teach them the sign and body language of their body...
You see some young girls these day who can't handle menstrual flow very well. During the period they get disorganized which might even affect their morale... that is where parents should come in... we all need sex education...
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by damiso(f): 10:03am On Sep 26, 2014
soulglo:

Even in private schools? Don't think they can. Even in public schools the way the parents vote can greatly affect school policy. To be honest I'm surprised to hear Nigerian parents push this responsibility on to schools. I wonder how they would feel if a teacher teaches their sons that homosexuality is an option. I don't have a problem with homosexuality but I would like to be the one educating my children on that.

The society at large (I am talking about the UK here) is a largely politically correct liberal society and so if a 13 year old girl opens up to pastoral care in school that she needs contraceptive pills because she is s.exually active the school nurse will prescribe it without parental consent (not too sure about private schools though).to them teenage s.ex is a lesser evil than teen pregnancy.The childs 'rights' to privacy especially if it seems like you are the kind of parent to make a fuss trumps yours.Faith schools are a bit different but I still will not take the chance we (I and hubby) need to get there first.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by alexis007(m): 10:04am On Sep 26, 2014
mr. Moderator...impartial panel of judges...accurate time-keeper...co-debaters...and my fellow Widowers...GOODDAY!...i'm here to oppose the motion which says that.....ISN'T THIS DEBATE GETTING MORE STALE BY THE DAY?...and by the way....it's kinda awkward hearing your parents tell you about 'dick' and 'pussy'...i'm beta off getting the sex education from my biology teacher....shikena!
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by tokjohn: 10:23am On Sep 26, 2014
You won't believe what you will see. Watch and Share!
Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8myBtiuAw&feature=share
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by keandre: 10:52am On Sep 26, 2014
schools & parents
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by olabisiadebanjo: 10:57am On Sep 26, 2014
for me.. its the parent. till today my parents has never talked or teach me anything about sex.... but i wont let that happpen to my own children.. i will teach them more than the way the school will teach them...
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by tania28(f): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2014
simplyOJ: Both parents and school should be responsible, but a greater responsibility lies with the parents. Sex education should not be viewed as a one big talk fixed for a special day, rather a continueous conversation between the parents and their wards, which can even start as early as 3years by first making them understand the basic areas of their bodies and puberty and as time goes, they are introduced into other grey areas using very simple words. Such conversations between parents and their kids establishes confidence and assurance in the child which will always make him or her to open up to thier parents if they are faced with other conflicting views else where on sexuality
very educating,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When Was The Last Time You Cried And What Made You To Cry? / A First Time Mother Looking For A Good Hospital And Baby Stuff / Today Is My Birthday. Celebrate With Me (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.