Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,843 members, 7,824,512 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? (19901 Views)

Parents Or Intending Parents, You Must Read This / Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by tania28(f): 11:06am On Sep 26, 2014
I think its the responsibilities of mums to teach ur daughters n dads tutor their sons on sex educatation.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Suarezilla(m): 11:29am On Sep 26, 2014
I think its more of the parents duty to teach their wards on sex education. Children 1st place of learning is the home and they would grab such education more from parents than from teachers at school...
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Originalsly: 11:37am On Sep 26, 2014
In this century I say the schools. The teachers should be more educated and up to date than the parents who may just be relaying bad information passed down from their parents.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Ubijus1(m): 11:40am On Sep 26, 2014
Both school and parents have roles to play.

Btw, I think the title should read "whose responsibility...."
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by kevinokereh(m): 11:56am On Sep 26, 2014
Actually both parties are saddled with that reponsibilities. But the most of it falls to the parents and gaurdian.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by godunia(m): 11:59am On Sep 26, 2014
The primary responsibility lies with the parents (Deut 6:6-9).Parents are expected to teach their children all the need to learn n that also include sex education.the spiritual n moral responsibility lies with the parents while the social responsibilty lies with d school.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Aityjoe(f): 12:24pm On Sep 26, 2014
I think parents first,your child should be your bestfriend
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by sirgreen: 12:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
lalasticlala: Many schools in the country don't really give comprehensive sex-education. And, unfortunately, most parents are uncomfortable to talk to their kids about sex. Hence, youngsters end up getting partial or even incorrect information from the internet.
Some also get misleading information from peers and the wrong people.

In my opinion, teenagers MUST receive proper information about safe sex practices before they engage in sexual practices.

But, who's responsibility is it to give it to them?

in my opinion I think the should be first and best place to tech sex education to children, children can only ask there parents questions about it then parents will not have any excuses to give the child knowing that they have been expose to it already in school bot not when they have teenage age. so I say the school all the way:
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by mzchinny(f): 12:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
I think the parents. Wont be comfortable an outsider teaching my kids that.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Chinzzy(f): 12:46pm On Sep 26, 2014
lalasticlala: Many schools in the country don't really give comprehensive sex-education. And, unfortunately, most parents are uncomfortable to talk to their kids about sex. Hence, youngsters end up getting partial or even incorrect information from the internet.

In my opinion, teenagers MUST receive proper information about safe sex practices before they engage in sexual practices.

What a question!! BOTH.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by gbaskiboy: 12:52pm On Sep 26, 2014
englishmart: My parent never thought me sex education. My school didn't either..

Learning by experience since 2002....

But I've thought my younger ones sha.

Including my babe too.. Her own is more of practicals than theory.grin
grin u sound so funny
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by kamikaze013(m): 1:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
Its the parents' duty nt the tachers'
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by btoks: 1:03pm On Sep 26, 2014
Parents mainly but schools also have a role especially with the science. My only concern is with the non-faith schools abroad; due to what seems like an aggressive alternative lifestyle agenda, topics like homosexuality, sex change and use of contraception (instead of promoting abstinence) will become the norm. This will slowly erode the innocence of these kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by cross22: 1:20pm On Sep 26, 2014
Home for gudnes sake.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Revolva(m): 1:31pm On Sep 26, 2014
come this sex education has made so many teen girls so curious about sex...and m,any don get pregnant in the course...lol...
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2014
englishmart: My parent never thought me sex education. My school didn't either..

Learning by experience since 2002....

But I've thought my younger ones sha.

Including my babe too.. Her own is more of practicals than theory.grin

chai lol u too get mouth
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Manaty2nice(m): 2:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
The parents and teacher should be responsible for tthat,,but above all charity begins at home,,so the kids should be thought sex education more better in da houx....
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 26, 2014
It should be taught in school. Parents should discuss it, but
1. They won't, because it's uncomfortable for both the parent and the child.
2. They were not taught sex education, so what exactly are they supposed to be teaching?

I don't think anyone in this thread knows what sex education entails. Because I'm seeing things like "homosexuality" and "promiscuity". WHAT??

Sex education doesn't mean teaching a child how to have sex. ABEG.

Topics that your parents will not be able to teach you, but MUST be learned at school include:

• different kinds of sexually transmitted infections. MODERN and UP TO DATE information about how they are transmitted, symptoms, and treatment, and which of them have no cure.
• the physical and emotional changes that occur during puberty, for boys and girls.
• explanations about the mechanics of sex, using scientific terminology.

This prevents children from being afraid of the changes that happen to their bodies, from mistaking simple arousal for love, or worse, some kind of sin, and best of all, informs them about the actual dangers of unsafe sex.

As someone mentioned earlier, children take the words of their teachers to be immutable, and it sinks in. When your parent is discussing something like safe sex (which they probably won't, in an effort to prevent sex in the first place), the discomfort, and the knowledge that the parent has motives (kids aren't stúpid) prevent them from listening properly. And then, of course, chances are, that conversation will never happen again.

Those parents who are responsible enough, and have the kind of relationship that allows them to do the research, and do all of the above for their children, are to be commended. BUT THEY ARE NOT THE NORM. And they will never be the norm. And don't tell me you want to change that, because have you ever tried to tell someone how to parent their child?

Do you want your children to live in a society that is uneducated about a matter of PUBLIC HEALTH? Do you?

They will grow up eventually. When they do, would you prefer they learn about genital herpes from experience, because they and their partner saw on the Internet that HIV was they only thing they needed to test for?

Public health, public sex education.

1 Like

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 26, 2014

I partially agree with you. Yes, sex-education is paramount but it should not be over-emphasized because African culture is totally different from Western culture. In Western culture, parents and schools are more open to young children. Where as in Africa or any other developing continent, it is regarded as taboo.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by ladymichael: 2:25pm On Sep 26, 2014
Parents of course. They just have to put aside their shyness. But come ooo were they shy when they were making the child that now needs to know how he or she came about
Teach your children or they will learn the hard way most probably practical lessons from“school” mates and end up making the shy parents ashamed grandparents.
Gbam! Case closed
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by GoodcasHMan: 2:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
I REASON THAT THE TEACHERS HAS A BETTER CHANCE TO TEACH THEM MORE DEEPER

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
Alright, let's put it this way. To those of you who want to leave it up to the parents. How will you teach the parents? Will you now start telling an old man (an old AFRICAN man, in all his pride) how to raise his child? Will you have the nerve to demand African parents attend seminars on modern sex education so they can teach their children?

Or will you teach them this while they are still children?
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by soulglo: 3:31pm On Sep 26, 2014
MissMeiya: Alright, let's put it this way. To those of you who want to leave it up to the parents. How will you teach the parents? Will you now start telling an old man (an old AFRICAN man, in all his pride) how to raise his child? Will you have the nerve to demand African parents attend seminars on modern sex education so they can teach their children?

Or will you teach them this while they are still children?

Will I have the nerve? Seriously? Who gave birth to the child. If I saw a child without the sex education they need I have no problem walking up their father or mother and telling them to take responsibility for the sex education of their child
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by AVO88(m): 3:59pm On Sep 26, 2014

Personally I feel it shuld b done by d parents,early exposure dimystifys "sex".The gal child shuld b tot sex education and changes dat wil occur in her body as she grows. Educationist has said dat d gal child shuld b expose 2 sex education at d age of 7 while d male child at d age of 12,because gals mature a lot quicker dan boys.If we as parents don't expose our children 2 sex education early enuff dey may end up pickin d wrong information frm friends.School shuld aslo try as much as possible to mak sex education part of d school curriculum.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 26, 2014
soulglo:
Will I have the nerve? Seriously? Who gave birth to the child. If I saw a child without the sex education they need I have no problem walking up their father or mother and telling them to take responsibility for the sex education of their child

Let me know how that works out.

I, personally, would not be happy living in a society where we have to cross our fingers and hope parents are giving their children correct and accurate information. Because when those ill-informed children grow up, they will be unwitting dangers to themselves and to society. And then you will expect them to educate their children?

As much as African society is supposed to be a community-oriented one, this approach to sex education (and education in general) is very individualistic. As long as your child is educated, it doesn't matter if everyone else's child is not? But think about the effects of an uneducated population.

Public education is everyone's business. It affects everyone.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Keenysbojan(m): 4:19pm On Sep 26, 2014
apart from parent role in sex education,I think kids should be thought in school but they should not give them home work..lol
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

Let me know how that works out.

I, personally, would not be happy living in a society where we have to cross our fingers and hope parents are giving their children correct and accurate information. Because when those ill-informed children grow up, they will be unwitting dangers to themselves and to society. And then you will expect them to educate their children?

As much as African society is supposed to be a community-oriented one, this approach to sex education (and education in general) is very individualistic. As long as your child is educated, it doesn't matter if everyone else's child is not? But think about the effects of an uneducated population.

Public education is everyone's business. It affects everyone.
my dad no dey waste time for such maters. I was proud of him when he did it.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by lalasticlala(m): 4:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
Keenysbojan: apart from parent role in sex education,I think kids should be thought in school but they should not give them home work..lol
LOL . No home work, no practical. jst theory
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by UyiIredia(m): 4:49pm On Sep 26, 2014

@ bolded: Teaching abstinence suggests you will permit sexual activity from teenagers. But this is very wrong; one reason is that most lack the financial means to sustain a home, why should they engage in activity that potentially kills life (in abortion) or causes strife and steals time (from the lack of self-control). Teens are at a stage prior to reaching their prime which starts from one's early 20's. Instead of assuming and teaching them how to have sex, give the handy skills in things like sewing, carpentry, swimming etc that can help them later on. I can say this because what I learnt from being an electrician's apprentice has been of help (once upon a time I didn't know to fix a bulb, now I can still replace sockets and fans). Parents should be the one's teaching their kids, and they should teach abstinence and not safe-sex as you suggest.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by gatiano(m): 4:50pm On Sep 26, 2014
yes o, its everybody's reponsibility. especially in this degraded age where even a 9 year old child is already thinking about it and culture would not allow them just walk up to a chemist/pharmacist to buy theirselves contraceptives. that is why it is everybody's trouble to teach all children/teenagers that we see about sex education. You might think what is my business? we never will know who our boys/girls are doing it with.

so my part of my lesson is : when a girl goes to another person's house, friends, boy or girl or parents, ask, is your mother in the house? if answer is no, say: i'll come back later. and walk bouncing away!
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by UyiIredia(m): 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
MissMeiya: .

Topics that your parents will not be able to teach you, but MUST be learned at school include:

• different kinds of sexually transmitted infections. MODERN and UP TO DATE information about how they are transmitted, symptoms, and treatment, and which of them have no cure.
• the physical and emotional changes that occur during puberty, for boys and girls.
• explanations about the mechanics of sex, using scientific terminology.

Public health, public sex education.

This I can allow to be taught to my kids (when I have 'em smiley). Anything more, especially courses that mirror what is increasingly being taught abroad is a no-no.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by willbob(m): 5:25pm On Sep 26, 2014

I am 14 going to 15 and my mother don't say anything about sex. She dae think say i no sabi things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Long Do You Use Towel Before Discarding It? / Help: My Brother Is Addicted To Gambling / Man Arrested For Abducting, Impregnating House Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.