Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,523 members, 7,816,280 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. (806 Views)

How To Successfully Approach Women - Beat Shyness And Become Confident! / Dealing With Shyness And Reducing Social Anxiety / Introversion Is Destroying My Relationship, Please Help!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by AdeniyiA(m): 9:41am On Sep 25, 2014
Sequel to a thread on front page which talks about how shy guys flirt. i am prompted to ask this; Does a guy become introverted because he is shy OR he becomes shy because he is an introvert, being unable to approach a girl?
In summary ,is shyness the same as introversion? . Any correlation? could they be psychologically or genetically or environmentally caused? ...
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 25, 2014
following
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 25, 2014
AdeniyiA: Sequel to a thread on front page which talks about how shy guys flirt. i am prompted to ask this; Does a guy become introverted because he is shy OR he becomes shy because he is an introvert, being unable to approach a girl?
In summary ,is shyness the same as introversion? . Any correlation?
lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by zube01(m): 10:07am On Sep 25, 2014
Let the arguments begin!
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by Tallesty1(m): 10:11am On Sep 25, 2014
AdeniyiA: Sequel to a thread on front page which talks about how shy guys flirt. i am prompted to ask this; Does a guy become introverted because he is shy OR he becomes shy because he is an introvert, being unable to approach a girl?
In summary ,is shyness the same as introversion? . Any correlation? could they be psychologically or genetically or environmentally caused? ...
Lemme make it simple. Shy guys want to but they can't because of fear but Introverts on the other hand do not want.
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by AdeniyiA(m): 10:11am On Sep 25, 2014
zube01: Let the arguments begin!
Guy, you go like arguments o cheesy
i no tink say u fit separate two fighting cheesy
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by zube01(m): 10:14am On Sep 25, 2014
AdeniyiA:
Guy, you go like arguments o cheesy
i no tink say u fit separate two fighting cheesy
omo men!...u need see me those days if I dey pour fuel inside fight!...cheesy
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by DiscodeeFUTA(m): 10:20am On Sep 25, 2014
Tallesty1: Lemme make it simple. Shy guys want to but they can't because of fear but Introverts on the other hand do not want.

GBBAAAM!!!! well said gee...#brainfullybrilliant
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by valmunich(m): 10:41am On Sep 25, 2014
The two are totally different variables. That one is an introvert doesn't mean he's shy. Like me, I dont like to express what I feel that much, I like to keep to myself and choose to talk whenever I deem it convenient. that doesn't mean I'm shy sad
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by mesoade(m): 10:56am On Sep 25, 2014
I don't know if both are thesame but i'm shy and also an introvert . . . I also used to think being shy and introversion works hand in hand bt dat piece on front page is incinuating they aint thesame,but i have never seen a shy extrovert?
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by dmcdad: 11:02am On Sep 25, 2014
Despite their affinity, there is a vast difference between the two, and often times people tend to mistake one for another.

Introversion is natural and does not come and go every now and then. Shyness is a state. And that is why, you can be as bold as a Lion and yet certain occurrences or situations will make you shy (at least at that juncture). You can be shy today, and by tomorrow you have worked on your shyness and become a bold and courageous person. This cannot be said of an introvert (a melancholy). An introvert remains an introvert come what may. Now, he may exhibit certain characters or traits that tends to lean towards extroversion. Yet, it should be noted that temperaments don't change albeit it can be worked upon to be better.

Many introverts happen to be somewhat shy poeple to say the least. Their shyness comes as a result of them living in a world of their own. Being in a shell all the time. But then, if and when they choose to come outside of that shell of theirs, then you would know first hand that their shyness is as a result of their introverted nature, and can be controlled to a great degree if they deem it necessary. I am a typical example of this. I am somewhat shy (as a melancholy) but if I choose to come out of my shell, then everything I would do at that juncture would ooze boldness, confidence, courage and over-intelligence.

So you can be shy and not be an introvert. My immediate elder brother is a pure choleric (extrovert), but overly shy. And I know of many introverts who are never shy. Therefore, shyness is not equal to introversion and vice-versa. Nevertheless, it's easier for an introvert to exude shyness than an extrovert.
Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by jmoore(m): 11:03am On Sep 25, 2014

Shyness and introversion are two types of personality characteristics that are very often written off as the same thing by those that don’t have to deal with one, the other, or both. Introversion is one of the pairs in the Myers-Briggs personality tests that is given a higher rating if the person recharges their energy by solitary activities such as reading, writing, and reflection. Shyness defines how a person deals with others and unfamiliar situations; those who are shy have a hard time talking to and meeting new people, and are often uncomfortable in new situations.

Note: It is always worth remembering that psychological definitions like this are not always completely agreed on. We simply offer two of the more popular definitions.

We’ve all been to those parties; we’ve all seen that person that just looks like they really, really don’t want to be there. In some cases, we are that person. Whether we’re shy or introverted, we’re probably frustrated with those who aren’t familiar with the two very different types of personality characteristics brushing us off as one or the other, and not understanding quite what they are.

From the outside, a person who is introverted is viewed in much the same way as someone who is shy. (It’s not uncommon that the two characteristics exist in the same person.) They’re the new person at work who doesn’t make an effort to make a spot for themselves at the lunch table, they’re the ones who read a book in their car on their breaks. They’re the standoffish ones, the awkward ones. But that’s looking at it through the lens of an extrovert.

The introvert doesn’t feel the need to seek out social interaction. In fact, too much social interaction can be emotionally and physically exhausting for them. Strangely, a study by the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences suggest that there’s a very different way that the brain of an introvert registers the world around them. When studying the brain activity that went on in an introverted person, it was found that there was no more electrical activity happening when they were looking at another person compared to when they were looking at inanimate objects. This suggests there’s a biological reason that introverts don’t seek out social interaction—they’re just not stimulated by it.

Introversion is a biological and personality trait, and those that have it are usually fine with it.

Shyness, on the other hand, can become so severe and so crippling that it can actually be diagnosed as a mental health problem. Everyone can be shy in certain situations and there are definitely varying degrees of shyness. However, in extreme cases, those that suffer from it find themselves unable to function in certain situations, unable to ask a stranger for directions, or agonizing over the moments before getting to the front of a check-out line where human interaction is necessary.

While an introvert more likely chooses to stay home on a Friday night, someone suffering from severe shyness may not think they have any choice but to stay home—and wish they were out.

Introverts often have a small group of close friends. To those who know them, they’re often great listeners, can give thoughtful advice, and are extremely empathetic. A person who is severely shy may find it difficult to form close friendships like that, and can remain feeling awkward even around family and people they have known for their entire lives. An introvert can be fine with someone approaching them and beginning a conversation, but to someone who’s shy, that can be just as terrifying as the thought of starting a conversation themselves.

A big difference between the two is how the person feels about their lack of social interaction or desire for constant companionship. An introvert is fine with it: They really, really are. To an introvert, it’s not a problem to be alone with their thoughts or to have a quiet dinner with one or two close friends. For someone who’s shy, though, they tend to wish that it just wasn’t the case. They are the ones that long for a big group of friends, but just can’t bring themselves to reach out and put themselves into that situation.

Source>> http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/03/07/the-difference-between-being-shy-and-being-introverted/

Re: Difference Between Shyness And Introversion. by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 25, 2014
As an introverted animal, i could be shy sometimes. But On other days, i could have the boldness and jinja of a Black Beard!

(1) (Reply)

Is This The Best Way A Lady Can Celebrate Valentine With Her Man?? / Know Your Love Language. / Ladies: How Do You Feel If Your Man Is A Way More Beautiful Than You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.