Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

$9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession (28743 Views)

Hembe And Madaki Exchange Slaps Over ‘Juicy’ Committees / South African Media Confirms Legitimacy Of Nigeria's $9.3m Arms Deal / Farouk Lawan (subsidy Probe Committee Chairman) In $600,000 Bribery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

$9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by phemmyjohnson: 12:11pm On Sep 25, 2014
For the second time this week,
pandemonium reigned in the House of
Representatives, yesterday, following allegations
of a $50,000 bribe to members of the Peoples
Democratic Party, PDP, to suppress a house
inquest into the alleged $9.3 million cash seized
by the South African Government.
*House of Representatives members in session
The House went into a near riot following the
admission by a member of the House, Rep. Ali
Madaki, APC, Kano to the leakage of the story of
the alleged bribe to the PDP members. Madaki,
however, confessed that the bribe amount was $
20,000.00 and not the $50,000 as reported by a
national newspaper, yesterday.
The PDP deputy leader in the House, Rep. Leo
Ogor, however, yesterday, described the
allegation as an embarrassment, unparliamentary
and an act of blackmail.
The House nevertheless directed its committee to
investigate the fresh scam allegation and report
within two weeks.

The controversy

Controversy started at the resumed plenary of
the House, yesterday, when chairman of the
Committee on Rules and Business, Rep. Albert
Sam-Tsokwa (PDP, Taraba), raised a point of order
bordering on the breach of his privileges.
Citing Order 8, Rule 20 of the House Rules, the
Taraba lawmaker complained that he was
embarrassed by stories in some national dailies
on the walk-out by the All Progressives Congress,
APC, members at the previous day’s sitting and
the insinuation that PDP members in the House
were given $50,000 each to stall debate on the
motion to investigate the $9.3 million botched
arms deal in South Africa.
Sam-Tsokwa said: “As the House chairman of the
Rules and Business committee, this issue is not to
my knowledge. No money was received by any
member of my party or myself.”
Although, Sam-Tsokwa did not mention anybody’s
name, he alleged that the story was the
handiwork of a member of the House, adding that
the news story breached his privilege as a
member of the House.
Rationalising the ruling of the Deputy Speaker,
Emeka Ihedioha the previous day, which led to
the disagreement on the floor, he explained that:
“we are all aware that infrastructure motion can
be raised, seconded and voted upon. This is not
the first time issues like this have been brought to
the floor of the House and rejected.”
He submitted that the protest and subsequent
walk-out on the House by APC lawmakers was
uncalled for and condemnable and consequently
prayed the House to mandate the Ethics and
Privileges Committee to investigate Madaki’s
allegations.
Ruling on the matter, the Deputy Speaker
referred the matter to the committee but
cautioned his colleagues that the House “is at
trying times” and “should be careful as
circumstances like this could lead to casualties. It
is not my wish that such should happen. It is
regrettable that despite the fact that I went extra
mile to take the motion, there was still a walk-
out,” he said.
Upon the Deputy Speaker’s ruling, Madaki stood
up on a point of order to speak. But his effort was
igreeted with jeers from some members which
created another pandemonium on the floor.
Although, Madaki was consistently shouted down
by his colleagues, the minority whip, Samson
Osagie (APC, Edo) intervened and pleaded that
Madaki be allowed to speak.

Madaki’s confession

To the consternation of members, Madaki
confessed that he was the person that broke the
bribery allegations to the press. He confirmed
that he told a journalist that he had it on good
authority “that PDP members were given $20,000
each.”
He maintained that what he told the journalist
over the telephone about the bribe was that he
was aware that each of the PDP members was
bribed $20,000 but not $50,000 as was reported.
Following Madaki’s confession, the House was
again enveloped in a state of rowdiness for about
10 minutes before order was eventually restored,
necessitating the Deputy Speaker to refer the
matter to the Ethics and Privileges Committee for
investigation.
When contacted on the issue, Deputy Leader, Rep
Ogor said: “The whole episode is embarrassing
and disgusting. How can somebody fabricate such
lies?
“We voted on the matter and the nays carried the
day and you still staged a walk-out to protest that
you were defeated,” Ogor wondered.
“I found that publication embarrassing and as far
as I am concerned it is pure blackmail. It is totally
unacceptable and unparliamentary.
“People should know that before you go to the
press and make such an allegation you must have
your facts as nothing of that nature even
happened and I challenge the lawmaker to come
up with his facts.
“For the fact that APC was defeated was not
enough reason for them to walk out and to add
insult to it they brought the allegation that the
same PDP members collected $50,000.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/9-3m-arms-deal-reps-20000-bribery-scandal/#sthash.DRXRQkNq.dpuf

2 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Unionised(m): 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
chewing on that...

Madaki, madaki, madaki!!!

How many times I call you?

Because this "sharing formula" no reach you and your boys, ehn...

You come break the rule of OMERTA because of $20k.

The gods are not happy

As for you, deputy leader Ogor, you say that you find Madaki's blackmail both unparliamentary and unacceptable?

Hypocrite !!!
Keep playing the game.
May you make heaven...

PDP and APC...

...United in badness.

8 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by otijah(m): 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
who is to be blamed now madaki or the journalist whom he spoke with. For me APC is a party that has come to bring confusion in Nigeria. I hope all APC supporters will wake up and see what am seeing in the future

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by ednut1(m): 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
in Felas voice- if i say i want sing about corruption, na old news be dat. now i know why all dis MOG and rich guys dey buy jet, to smuggle raw cash, so much for cashless economy, make dem show us how the 9.3M was posted in the govt accounts. DR Shecow weapons account CR Goodluck oil bunkering company account

31 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Joshuadon: 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
GOD DELIVER DIS COUNTRY................................. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Temihatz(m): 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Honestly not surprised. undecided

9 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by sirjohnson(m): 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Meanwhile, the photo & Video of Shekau when he was captured, before later killed surfaces online..See it Here

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Samiceman: 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
God save this country.... Too many bad people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by eleojo23: 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
We only hear one out of hundred of such bribery cases. It's no surprise.

4 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by igbsam(m): 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
Unending drama here and there always involving the pdp. Where is our $20b....is this part of what it was stolen for ?

17 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by ericgold(m): 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
Ok
Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by buoye1(m): 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
A thief will remain a thief may be $50000 or $20000!!!!PDP or APC,A politician ll remain a poliTHIEFcian.......Bunch of fools and desperate goats!!....Ogun la pa gbogbo yin!!!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by philantoxx(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
used to it..new news please

1 Like

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Heyliesha(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Nawa

2 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Elusive9(f): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
undecided :-
Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by omenka(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Why are they sounding as though bribe taking is alien to them when indeed it is second nature

Corruption crawls on its belly on the floor of the House of Reps and the Senate. It is a public secret!

12 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
dix our POLIThIEFICIANs sef. . . Smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Bishop4bella(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Very soon the truth will surface and we the public shall who is lying because the house of Rep may be bribed and only pdp members can not be bribed alone.
Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by englishmart(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Thieves. Mtscheew. sad sad
Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2014
in bovis voice, this na another episode of them done catch am...lolz pdp no dey try atall

4 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by gratieao: 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2014
According to punch newspaper:
However, there was a dramatic twist when Madaki was given an opportunity to speak on the matter.

The lawmaker now told the House that he too “heard” and not that he had any concrete proof.

He said what transpired was that the national daily called him to find out whether members took $50,000 bribe as alleged.

Madaki said he replied that he told the newspaper he was not aware of $50,000 bribe but “I heard that $20,000 was given to members.”

Members reacted with a thunderous laughter after Madaki gave the impression that he too could not substantiate the allegation.

There was also no mention of the source of the alleged bribe.
http://www.punchng.com/news/9-3m-scandal-reps-probe-50000-bribery-allegation/
You wonder why Nigeria can not move forward. Our politicians see Nigeria as a circus ground. Where they are free to amuse themselves, on every issue of national importance. Imagine these over-paid I-d-i-o-ts, making jest of every national issues. You made an allegation, and when you are asked to come and explain, it now turns to you "heard". Whoever made us get to this point of our political history… e no go better for him generation, wherever they may be, even with all the looted money, may them and their generation continue to suffer.

9 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by BlackPeni5: 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2014
Corrupt criminals...left for me, they'll all be part time house members. Make them go find better hand work.

Shameful bunch.

5 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Temihatz(m): 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2014
Unionised: chewing on that...
otijah: Ok
ednut1: corruption
Joshuadon: GOD DELIVER DIS COUNTRY................................. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
sirjohnson: Ghen ghen...The fowl's yansh is being opened
Samiceman: Ye
eleojo23: Bad
igbsam: Unending drama here and there always involving the pdp. Where is our $20b....is this part of what it was stolen for ?
HopeAlive14: Comedy of absurd and shame.
SimonAndal:
Nothing new. Next!
9jahubcom: kk
Tunguy01: Thief carry am , thief collect am , thief dey probe am , tell me hw we wan take knw d truth , indeed der was a country
Kunlenoni: hmmmm,whats my biz?
All of you need 10 strokes each

8 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by phemmyjohnson: 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
Bastard sons of bitches!!
Oh!!!
Av just added their names to the list of candidates Sango will strike nextweek..
Corrupt animals leading this country - since 1960

8 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Kunlenoni: 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
hmmmm,whats my biz?

1 Like

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Tunguy01(m): 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
Thief carry am , thief collect am , thief dey probe am , tell me hw we wan take knw d truth , indeed der was a country

6 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by 9jahubcom(m): 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
wat a lovely country....
Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014

Nothing new. Next!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by HopeAlive14(m): 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
Comedy of absurd and shame.

3 Likes

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by PassingShot(m): 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
Some of us knew something was wrong when they voted not to debate the issue.

And if there are still some supporter of PDP with any sense of patriotism, they need to hide their face in shame. Unfortunately most PDP supporters are blinded by the crumbs they get from their paymasters.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by sibepoc(m): 12:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
Okay
Re: $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession by Symphony007: 12:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
PDP is a cancer ravaging the nigerian state since 1999.

I don't blame them, I blame the ignorant nigerian masses who have sat passively all this time and swallowed their bulllll shitttt!!! Can you imagine the hubris of not allowing a debate in the people's house of such a monumental issue because they know the people won't hold them accountable for it. Nigeria is not my buisness.

50 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

El-Rufai Meets With Babachir David-Lawal, SGF In His Office At The Villa (photo) / Abdulmumin Jibrin Takes To ‘Babysitting' After Exclusion From House Committee / Ogunderu: How We Carried Out The 1993 Nigerian Airways Hijack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.