Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,198 members, 7,953,730 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:30 AM

Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) (51671 Views)

Shocking Photos Of Cancer-stricken Diezani Alison-madueke Nigeria's Former Petro / Nigeria’s Former NSA In N1.75 Billion Cash-for-arms Fraud-sahara Reporters / Nigeria's Former President Goodluck Jonathan Vacations In Los Angeles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by LadiesPet(m): 8:20am On Sep 27, 2014
I bought sacharin ice cream with it & also soya beans grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Ramanto(m): 8:21am On Sep 27, 2014
That old fifty naira is beautiful!!
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by niggi4life(m): 8:24am On Sep 27, 2014
Did the new generation even knew there was 1/2 kobo?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by echobee(f): 8:24am On Sep 27, 2014
I spent them no be small
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by horlarlorwor(m): 8:29am On Sep 27, 2014
grin grin
LMAyedun: The Indomie generation certainly can't know these currencies... we bought Ice water, Guguru & Epa, Babadudu,Sisi pelebe, Dankuwa etc

Condes milk, odukun with ata gungun(potatoes with dried pepper), tasty time, kuli kuli.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by creativemusic: 8:29am On Sep 27, 2014
Ok
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by yomanovic: 8:31am On Sep 27, 2014
englishmart: I didn't spend much of those then.
Money too scarce.
But for these one below, I dey spend am like die.

Hahahahahahahaha

These notes used to be worth more than the dollar, euro, pounds and the very popular currencies in the world. How I wish they can re-capture their old glories. Naija I hail thee.
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by dvee2: 8:31am On Sep 27, 2014
chaloner: What's dos arabic/islamic tins for , I mmean dere meaning?

It's just a translation of the value in Hausa. Example Fifty kobo is transliterated as Kwobo Hamsin.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by justi4jesu(f): 8:31am On Sep 27, 2014
LadiesPet: I bought sacharin ice cream with it & also soya beans grin grin

grin grin
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by xtervaganza(m): 8:33am On Sep 27, 2014
I spent all of those besides the five shilling
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Tymax(m): 8:34am On Sep 27, 2014
Ɨƚa..Ɨƚa..Ɨƚa.. See 50 kobo coins o! That old 5 naira was always dirty. Don't remember seeing a neat, clean one. grin
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by davismighty(m): 8:34am On Sep 27, 2014
I spent all except the "shillings" those days in primary school. But the shillings was a form of calculation for us then. Then we used to buy things with "shile mewa" grin
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by iamodenigbo1(m): 8:35am On Sep 27, 2014
akara mama ukwu,that bean ball taste heavenly
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 27, 2014
Keneking: I am coming to snap some Biafra's notes for upload so that we can compare and contrast grin
I am sure if Biafra Republic had succeeded, two things would have happened by now:
1. The local currency would be as strong as GBP. It would be used for international trading.
2. There would have been another sub-currency that would be trading with the Nigerian Naira.

Our CBB ( central bank of Biafra) would have been a model for Africa. Biafra Republic was indeed great. We would have formed strong allies like French, USA and Britain. We would be attending UN General Assembly and sending troops to fight Boko Haram, ISIS and AlQaeda grin
We shall be planning to annex Edo State into the Republic. Kogi would have since been ceded as well. Our institutions would be world-class. Those in the government would be first class no clueless characters. cool

The Biafra Currency would have the sign of crucifix affixed on it by now. What this mean is that no corruption, no unethical practices and no shady dealings with the currency. Oh I miss the vision of that republic embarassed cry

Who is this bleeped up Nigerian....

If Biafra Republic had succeeded... you will be internally destroying each other... Naming every successfully Eastern Nigger a saboteur.

Biafrans wont make Biafra work, cause you guys only care about your pocket...

Now Shut the Bleep up... Biafra ko Tilapia ni

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Kizyte(m): 8:40am On Sep 27, 2014
Keneking: The Biafra Currency would have the sign of crucifix affixed on it by now. What this mean is that no corruption, no unethical practices and no shady dealings with the currency. Oh I miss the vision of that republic embarassed cry
Nice post brother, please join our Biafra Confraternity to help in our good struggle.
Please search for Biafra Confraternity on Facebook.
Or check the link on my profile
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by lonelydora: 8:44am On Sep 27, 2014
Keneking: I am coming to snap some Biafra's notes for upload so that we can compare and contrast grin
I am sure if Biafra Republic had succeeded, two things would have happened by now:
1. The local currency would be as strong as GBP. It would be used for international trading.
2. There would have been another sub-currency that would be trading with the Nigerian Naira.

Our CBB ( central bank of Biafra) would have been a model for Africa. Biafra Republic was indeed great. We would have formed strong allies like French, USA and Britain. We would be attending UN General Assembly and sending troops to fight Boko Haram, ISIS and AlQaeda grin
We shall be planning to annex Edo State into the Republic. Kogi would have since been ceded as well. Our institutions would be world-class. Those in the government would be first class no clueless characters. cool

The Biafra Currency would have the sign of crucifix affixed on it by now. What this mean is that no corruption, no unethical practices and no shady dealings with the currency. Oh I miss the vision of that republic embarassed cry

Nwanne, may you live long.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Cestmoi1(f): 8:46am On Sep 27, 2014
I spent the 1naira and 50kobo coins,5,20 and 50naira notes....I remember my taxi fare from school to the house and vice versa was #5.
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 27, 2014
Dat 5naira note don suffer! Got all d currencies laminated in mi house! Wld post pix later.
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Kizyte(m): 8:47am On Sep 27, 2014
lonelydora:

Nwanne, may you live long.
Pls join our Confraternity.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=441416429224664
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by kissty(f): 8:50am On Sep 27, 2014
englishmart: I didn't spend much of those then.
Money too scarce.
But for these one below, I dey spend am like die.

Hahahahahahahaha

see your dirty fingernail
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 27, 2014
I spent all aside the shillings.
I remember one incident where my primary friend stole his father's 20 naira to school in the late 80s. He bought each and everyone of us a plate of rice which was 30k, sweets and kwuli kwuli. Omo! The change was so plentiful he dash everyone us numbering 8 some change from the 20 naira and threw away the remaining ones he couldn't hold for fear of being caught.

Some moment later his father arrived and we were all rounded up and every kobo was collected from Us. The food vendor was then arrested for collecting 20 naira from a pupil without reporting to school authority. The 20 buck was the highest denomination then

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by jjwaterfalls(f): 8:56am On Sep 27, 2014
I stil have 5 , 10 , 20 naiRa with me up til nw wink
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Kizyte(m): 9:02am On Sep 27, 2014
I love Biafra!

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by donylap: 9:02am On Sep 27, 2014
Gud to remember d past
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by nwaobitex: 9:02am On Sep 27, 2014
Hmmmmm cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Calebosko(m): 9:03am On Sep 27, 2014
that moment wen u look @ those pics and u smile, one of the reason i like history
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by hensben(m): 9:03am On Sep 27, 2014
I miss that #50 note...nigera best currency in terms of uniqueness and finess
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by timilehing(m): 9:03am On Sep 27, 2014
I've all the nairas with me alongside coins of 1, 10 and 50kobo
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by hensben(m): 9:07am On Sep 27, 2014
jjwaterfalls: I stil have 5 , 10 , 20 naiRa with me up til nw wink
what are you doing with them, its illegal from human right activist.
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Rapture4real(m): 9:08am On Sep 27, 2014
I spent all the old currency as a child.my mum taught me to record account in pounds and shillings. One naira was a big money in the 80's.used to buy ekanna Gowon, condense on d way to school with patako ikowe.difficult to get but with values. Also the red coloured #10.things have changed.
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by kokoA(m): 9:12am On Sep 27, 2014
That old 5naira note was always dirty.. I never handled a clean one before it went out of circulation.
Re: Nigeria Former Currencies (photos) by Kossyne(m): 9:12am On Sep 27, 2014
trevolady: Good old day!!!50kobo was my pocket money every morning back then in primary school,I wud buy lunch,fruits,gala n lolly on my way home with just 50kobo! grin

Gala,,seriously?...aunty you can lie o

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oshiomole Mistakenly Says APC Rigged Osun Election (Video) / Tinubu: I Didn’t Invite Soldiers To Protect TVC & The Nation To Avoid Bloodshed / I Will Consult My Wife, Others If Tinubu Offers Me Appointment – Wike (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.