Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) (73928 Views)

80 Acres Of Land Basically For Plantain Available For Cultivation In Ogbomoso / BECOME MILLIONAIRES THROUGH EDIBLE MUSHROOM CULTIVATION AND SPAWN PRODUCTION / Plantain Cultivation Is Increasing, Let Us Talk About The Market. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by ntyce(m): 4:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
if it is the common apple we see in stores, it will germinate but won't fruit.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
ntyce: if it is the common apple we see in stores, it will germinate but won't fruit.
That is because the seed you planted didnt mature before planting
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:18pm On Sep 28, 2014
dayosaurus: Are you sure it's the same apple? Cos my dad has one but it tastes different, it's just like water and not sweet at all.. and it is never GREEN, ALWAYS RED.

There is even an apple tree with real fruits very close to Dr.Olusegun mimiko house at lover boy street in ondo city.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Gorrbachev: 4:18pm On Sep 28, 2014
Op do you live in Jos? The only place i've ever seen an apple tree in Nigeria in the house of a University of Jos lecturer in the early-mid 90s when i just started primary school.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Dailyfavour(m): 4:27pm On Sep 28, 2014
Are you sure this is not common fruit seedling in Nigeria? Anyway, goodluck as we will be waiting to flood the market with the commercial production soon.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
see as d guy protect the plant... grin grin grin grin he is like 'THE APPLE OF MY EYES MUST SURVIVE'

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
Oceemo: undecidedAre u sure u will that apple? @ op
Yea
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by LONGFELLOW02(m): 4:31pm On Sep 28, 2014
Send me mail to omotayogbenga336@gmail.com if you need original nurse apple seed 4rm Jos.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:34pm On Sep 28, 2014
gunuvi: op are you sure cos all the ones my father tried didn't work. can you explain more on the seedlings you use and where u got it.
I'll really love to grow it.
Got it from an agriculturist who works at ministry of agriculture
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by pharmo25(m): 4:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
It grows in my church. We have it in the mercy land,CCC Ijaye Parish,Abeokuta. We have upto six trees of it. I'll upload pix of it 2mao by God's grace.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
legendsilver: no mind am jawe, e wan begin share bobo here and funny enough some Nairalanders don dey flex am already grin
.It is what i have seen and tasted before with my own eyes before.There is even an apple tree near Gov.Olusegun mimiko house at lover boy street in ondo city.Stop hating
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:50pm On Sep 28, 2014
niggi4life: Nigeria my country, a land blessed with milk and honey.
We have one of the best climate in the world. Mineral resources yaburata not to talk of human resources as well. Eat ordinary orange, mistakenly drop the seed for ground i bet you in some few days it will begin to grow.
What else do a nation wants that God didn't bless us with?
I know one day e go betta
.If u buy apple from a seller.If u drop the seed,it might not grow.This is because most of the fruit didnt ripe before harvesting because of the days it spends b4 getting to Nigeria(u know they are imported)But most of them get rippen along the way or on arrival.THE ONE I PLANTED IS THE MATURED SEED(THAT IS THE ONE THAT GOT RIPE BEFORE HARVESTING.THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING@NIGGI4LIFE.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2014
Gorrbachev: Op do you live in Jos? The only place i've ever seen an apple tree in Nigeria in the house of a University of Jos lecturer in the early-mid 90s when i just started primary school.
I live at ondo city in ondo state.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by ntyce(m): 4:56pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: That is because the seed you planted didnt mature before planting

bros, I studied Agriculture. Based on scientific studies, that exotic apple we see in stores won't FRUIT in ondo.
Its science, except temperature and photo-period doesn't matter in apple cultivation.
Google can assist you better.

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by uchdollar111: 4:58pm On Sep 28, 2014
Wow! Anyway check out www.myeventsgallery.com sign up to receive free gifts b/4 our launching party.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by ntyce(m): 5:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
pharmo25: It grows in my church. We have it in the mercy land,CCC Ijaye Parish,Abeokuta. We have upto six trees of it. I'll upload pix of it 2mao by God's grace.

Chei!!!!
yu can lie ooo.
I lived in that neighbourhood for 12 yrs, never heard of such.
Stayed close to holycross hospital beside the CCC.

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 5:02pm On Sep 28, 2014
ntyce:

bros, I studied Agriculture. Based on scientific studies, that exotic apple we see in stores won't FRUIT in ondo.
Its science, except temperature and photo-period doesn't matter in apple cultivation.
Google can assist you better.

Go to lover boy street,(near gov.Olusegun mimikos house@ lover boy street)in ondo city and see things by urself with ur own eyes.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by eaglechild: 5:15pm On Sep 28, 2014
I have actually planted apple and grape fruit seeds and they survived.

I cannot tell where the apples came from exactly but I used rich humus soil from the garden and a pot and they germinated.

The grape even started climbing and they out grew the pot.
I took the pot to my uncle who had a knack for farming and he transplanted them to his farm, in a shaded area, but they withered away shortly.

I'm guessing leaving them to the harsh tropical elements killed them off.

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by ugwuanyi1996(m): 5:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: Many are of the believe that apple cant grow in Nigeria.But this is a big lie.Apples that are sold at shops here in Nigeria have been harvested before it gets ripe.This is because these fruits spends about a week before it gets to Nigeria.Few years ago,i saw a apple tree at a family friends home.I was suprised and ask him how did it happen,he told me that he is an agriculturist and works at the state ministry of agriculture.
He also said he will help me get one.I asked how,and he said the ministry has ordered some,which got rippen from south africa and so it will germinate.Unlike the ones we buy at shops here which didnt get ripe before it was harvested.
Fellow nairalanders,few weeks ago i have gotten mine(the apple seedling) and now i have planted and it survived.
Who says apples dont grow in Nigeria because of the temperature.Dont be deceived.Apples really grow here
seriously am happy I can grOW aPplE in niGeriA
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by chidexy(m): 5:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
Guys, there's nothing wrong with the apple you buy off the street - the seed(s) can and do germinate. However, it needs a cold period to break the dormancy.

If you want to experiment with the seeds of the apple you buy, simply get the seeds, dry them for some days and pack them in a damp kitchen tissue paper or ordinary tissue paper and seal in a celophane bag (bread waterproof) and put it in a fridge for 2-3 months (1 month in a freezer will shorten the time but there's the danger of the embryo being damaged by frost).

After the 3 months in the fridge, bring the seeds out and plant in a nursery and it will grow.

You cannot grow apple as a commercial venture by planting through the seed. Apple is a cross pollinated plant and usually the tree you get from the seed will not be the same as the fruit you enjoyed and decided to save the seed from. However, if you are passionate about it, the best way to go about it is to plant as many different types and varieties of apple as possible and if you succeed in the next 5 years in getting a particular plant that gave you a nice apple, you may then multiply that particular plant vegetatively.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: Apple tree owned by a family friend
I said it in the previous thread which asked whether apples grown in Nigeria that a certain type of apple also grows in Nigeria. But its the reddish yellow or reddish orange coloured one. And they are a bit smaller than the common lemon green coloured apple. This is the apple that this thread is talking about.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
aiyeboy: done
.owk I have accepted ur friend request
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by kazmanbanjoko(m): 5:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
Will it be able to harvest fully

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
Pavore9: That's good and before you know it 2019 will be upon us!
Looooooooool
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Pavore9: 5:50pm On Sep 28, 2014
ladunsky: Looooooooool
Why are you Looooooooooling me? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) / If Banana Grew & Entered Your Compound Like This, What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.