Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) (73937 Views)

80 Acres Of Land Basically For Plantain Available For Cultivation In Ogbomoso / BECOME MILLIONAIRES THROUGH EDIBLE MUSHROOM CULTIVATION AND SPAWN PRODUCTION / Plantain Cultivation Is Increasing, Let Us Talk About The Market. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by pankere(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
OP it must be wild natural apples and not the shiny looking imported ones that are being sold. The imported ones have sterile seeds that do not germinate.

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by victorazy(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: Many are of the believe that apple cant grow in Nigeria.But this is a big lie.Apples that are sold at shops here in Nigeria have been harvested before it gets ripe.This is because these fruits spends about a week before it gets to Nigeria.Few years ago,i saw a apple tree at a family friends home.I was suprised and ask him how did it happen,he told me that he is an agriculturist and works at the state ministry of agriculture.
He also said he will help me get one.I asked how,and he said the ministry has ordered some,which got rippen from south africa and so it will germinate.Unlike the ones we buy at shops here which didnt get ripe before it was harvested.
Fellow nairalanders,few weeks ago i have gotten mine(the apple seedling) and now i have planted and it survived.
Who says apples dont grow in Nigeria because of the temperature.Dont be deceived.Apples really grow here

Fraud... 419 is smelling here.

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by publicenemy(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
Jj
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by buoye1(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ook............I dodnt
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2014
lol...enclosed space without temperature conditioner? i mean, even if that environment is super cool most of the time, knowing the tropical climate, the protection might turn out disadvantageous sooner or later
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by daben1(m): 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2014
It's good to try but i think the weather in Nigeria is not favourable for the growth of apple
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Akalia(m): 1:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: Get a matured apple seed and plant it(u might also plant in a small polythene bag and transplant it later to d soil after germination.)Plant in a good soil.But if your soil is sandy soil,dig the ground and add some loamy soil(just to make sure it survives and do well at early stage).water it everyday.But Do not try PLANTING IT ON A CLAY SOIL.Advisable if you plant during rainy season.Do not plant very close to a building or fence(its not a flower.)
bro pls how do I get d mature apple seed, can u help me with some?
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by donlyone(m): 1:45pm On Sep 28, 2014
firestar: Those apples...

Do they look like this?

That looks like a fruit a friend gave me, he called it African apple, the taste was horrible.

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by FlameZee(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
Yet no one has grown them in commercial quantity. Y
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Willgates(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: Many are of the believe that apple cant grow in Nigeria.But this is a big lie.Apples that are sold at shops here in Nigeria have been harvested before it gets ripe.This is because these fruits spends about a week before it gets to Nigeria.Few years ago,i saw a apple tree at a family friends home.I was suprised and ask him how did it happen,he told me that he is an agriculturist and works at the state ministry of agriculture.
He also said he will help me get one.I asked how,and he said the ministry has ordered some,which got rippen from south africa and so it will germinate.Unlike the ones we buy at shops here which didnt get ripe before it was harvested.
Fellow nairalanders,few weeks ago i have gotten mine(the apple seedling) and now i have planted and it survived.
Who says apples dont grow in Nigeria because of the temperature.Dont be deceived.Apples really grow here

I look forward to having over an hectare dedicated to fruit trees cultivation. I have a passion for agriculture. Currently studying agricultural economics and extension at a southen university. Please i wish to know how i can get the seedlings and which specie to cultivate here. Happy sunday
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by uzolexis(f): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: My residue is at ondo city in ondo state,and it will take about 5yrs to harvest my first fruits.

5 yrs is too much. Improved varieties of apple takes less than 1 yr

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Oceemo(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
undecidedAre u sure u will that apple? @ op
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Biggiestep(m): 1:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
our apple is here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by drololaaof: 1:48pm On Sep 28, 2014
Congratulations .I have seen the plant before in the RCCG Camp but the problem is to bring forth good fruit there are some mango tree that that will not produce good fruit in in the south west due to rainfall and pest (insect) attacking them
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by abdulabbakar(m): 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2014
Wow bro!
I envy you.
I wish we live that long to witness the harvesting era, for the state we are in now!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by uzolexis(f): 1:50pm On Sep 28, 2014
mercylicious: following.

When it starts fruiting on the 5th year does it continue fruiting anually, bi-annually or every 5years.

The soil in my village is sandy, i may have to try it there since urs looks same.

There r improved varieties that start fruiting in a yr and continue fruiting annually. They don't even have 2 grow tall before fruiting
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by FUCKU: 1:50pm On Sep 28, 2014
purplish: Apples! Yum Yum cheesy

see your mouth like YUM YUM...wait! Make I catch you!

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by bist: 1:53pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: My residue is at ondo city in ondo state,and it will take about 5yrs to harvest my first fruits.

Ur number pls!
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by bist: 1:55pm On Sep 28, 2014
uzolexis:

5 yrs is too much. Improved varieties of apple takes less than 1 yr

Mumu!!!
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gunuvi(m): 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2014
op are you sure cos all the ones my father tried didn't work. can you explain more on the seedlings you use and where u got it.
I'll really love to grow it.

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by ayorin: 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2014
I love this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by mymissingrib(m): 2:01pm On Sep 28, 2014
nice one op,i really love agriculture

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by HOMOTOYOSI10: 2:03pm On Sep 28, 2014
Wow yummy
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by TDonald: 2:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
Story For the gods!

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
Groovy! Hope to plant a tree in my husband's house someday, might as well be secccy apples...
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by uzolexis(f): 2:07pm On Sep 28, 2014
bist:

Mumu!!!
What was that for? Did I insult anybody? I just made a statement wc i'm very sure of and ur insulting. If you have not seen it you should ask instead of wallowing in ur ignorance and insulting me.
Ignorance is indeed a very serious disease.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by shallompreti(f): 2:08pm On Sep 28, 2014
gbenga4sure: Many are of the believe that apple cant grow in Nigeria.But this is a big lie.Apples that are sold at shops here in Nigeria have been harvested before it gets ripe.This is because these fruits spends about a week before it gets to Nigeria.Few years ago,i saw a apple tree at a family friends home.I was suprised and ask him how
did it happen,he told me that he is an agriculturist and works at the state ministry of agriculture.
He also said he will help me get one.I asked
how,and he said the ministry has ordered
some,which got rippen from south africa and so it will germinate.Unlike the ones we buy at shops here which didnt get ripe before it was harvested.

Wow! I need some pls how can I get minen
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by maxjax(m): 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2014

damn! interesting.....pls where in ondo?
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by joshfash(m): 2:13pm On Sep 28, 2014
m.wikihow.com/Grow-an-Apple-Tree-from-a-Seed
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by samuelson06(m): 2:13pm On Sep 28, 2014
himkers:

He got to grow one because his friend at the ministry of Agriculture gave him one to plant; what about us that don't have peeps at Agric Ministry??

shallompreti:
Wow! I need some pls how can I get minen

gbenga4sure, pls how long does it take to germinate?
Wanna plant mine.

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by rosety: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
Apples CAN grow in Nigeria and other tropical regions but not all apple varieties will fruit even when they grow. This is because most apple varieties require cold periods to begin fruiting (trying not to use technical jargon). However, varieties like Anna and Fuji do not require long cold periods or require higher temperatures to stimulate fruiting - temperatures that are reachable in Nigeria, temps in the 25°c region.
A client of mine just started an apple-avocado farm in Jos and we supplied about 150 bare-rooted trees purchased from Florida. Now temperatures in Florida don't get as cold as in most other parts of the American and European continents and the Anna variety of apples does very well there. The trees we planted are still young but they are doing very well. I expect fruits this time next year.

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) / If Banana Grew & Entered Your Compound Like This, What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.