Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram (84463 Views)

Tompolo: Withdraw Troops From Niger Delta – Ann-kio Briggs Warns Buhari / More Photos 4rm Boko Haram Camp In Burra Forest,Bauchi Captured By Soldiers 2day / Boko Haram News Update:>> See The Boko Haram Armored Tank Captured By D Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by nnamdizen(m): 5:35pm On Sep 28, 2014
LegatusGlaber: Kudos to the military.

But what is monstrous about this tank?
Monstrous in the sense of what it could do to an entire village
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 28, 2014
donphilopus: Later some people will invade here to tell us that SaharaReporters is allergic to reporting a positive news about the Nigerian Military. Ride on SaharaReporters, we'e solidly behind you.

Meanwhile, kudos to the Nigerian Military!
They only changed after Nigerians began complaining too much
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Holywizard: 5:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
nijanigga:
No wonder, your Grand Master Putin will soon come knocking,as in Ukraine,then your a.s.s will be calling on USA to save you.
guy as in dual nationality...am still a nigerian. Some of de guys under de old USSR & other neighbouring countries still like Putin. 4get abt de threat, world polities is not 4 kids

1 Like

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Missy89(f): 5:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
abrahamolusoji:
Nope. They're able to smuggle high grade weapns thru porous routes in Niger, Chad fm Libya. It might av just been kept secretly for use in an intended final push for their evil campaign... and as 4 dat pix, dat isnt a T-55 battle tank,cos it's got to tracks.

so tanks were smuggled all the way from Libya to Nigeria?. Sounds very unreal

Small arms yes , Tanks? haba!

2 Likes

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
abrahamolusoji:
Nope. They're able to smuggle high grade weapns thru porous routes in Niger, Chad fm Libya. It might av just been kept secretly for use in an intended final push for their evil campaign... and as 4 dat pix, dat isnt a T-55 battle tank,cos it's got to tracks.
its ours I can tell You. BH can only smuggle triple A guns & technicial pickups.
Its not possible for them to acquire & transport such heavy ware.
1 pic BH t55
2 pic NA T55

1 Like

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by komekn(m): 5:56pm On Sep 28, 2014
When I see posts like this, I CRY, it is indicative of why there is such whole scale CORRUPTION in our armed forces and in the procurement of weaponry. There seems to be wide scale ignorance and knowledge gaps by the supposedly informed press, defence policy makers and some elements of our military.

First of all what we have is not by any shape or means MONSTROUS, it is not a MBT (main battle tank) and it is certainly not a T55 (MBT) introduced in the 1960’s.

What we have in the picture is a Panhard ERC90 introduced in 1980’s it is classed as an armoured reconnaissance vehicle(ARV), its armour does not exceed STANAG level 2 , essentially it is lightly armoured. The particular model the NA have is not stabilised and does not have any FLIR and or thermal imaging target acquisition capability. This comes from the NA armouries most probably abandoned not captured otherwise there would tell tale signs of damage from engagements.

Is it formidable? no it is not, particularly in comparative terms of what weapon stations are available and have been for over 15 years, should it be feared? not exactly, dependent on what assets you have deployed to combatants.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by nijanigga: 5:59pm On Sep 28, 2014
Holywizard: guy as in dual nationality...am still a nigerian. Some of de guys under de old USSR & other neighbouring countries still like Putin. 4get abt de threat, world polities is not 4 kids
"not for kids" as in my age or in world politics? go back and read about the plan of soviets for the Finns and neighboring countries in ww2.then get back with me. As of today Russia is claiming vast rich oil wells in arctic; which is closer to Norway than Russia, I haven't heard Norway protest,in fear of humiliation from Russia.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by BabaO2: 6:02pm On Sep 28, 2014
strangest: Nice one... More of that... Tuale to our gallant soldiers

Is it the tank at the background?
Is that long nuzzle removable? Tuale to Cameroonian army from my side
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by nijanigga: 6:02pm On Sep 28, 2014
Holywizard: guy as in dual nationality...am still a nigerian. Some of de guys under de old USSR & other neighbouring countries still like Putin. 4get abt de threat, world polities is not 4 kids
oh boy, be careful with your name;holywizard,if you let oyedepo hear you, you're in for a big slap.holywizrd ko, wizard for Jesus ni.

1 Like

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Mujinho4b(m): 6:12pm On Sep 28, 2014
Nawa o... D tank fine sha...
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 28, 2014
komekn: When I see posts like this, I CRY, it is indicative of why there is such whole scale CORRUPTION in our armed forces and in the procurement of weaponry. There seems to be wide scale ignorance and knowledge gaps by the supposedly informed press, defence policy makers and some elements of our military.

First of all what we have is not by any shape or means MONSTROUS, it is not a MBT (main battle tank) and it is certainly not a T55 (MBT) introduced in the 1960’s.

What we have in the picture is a Panhard ERC90 introduced in 1980’s it is classed as an armoured reconnaissance vehicle(ARV), its armour does not exceed STANAG level 2 , essentially it is lightly armoured. The particular model the NA have is not stabilised and does not have any FLIR and or thermal imaging target acquisition capability. This comes from the NA armouries most probably abandoned not captured otherwise there would tell tale signs of damage from engagements.

Is it formidable? no it is not, particularly in comparative terms of what weapon stations are available and have been for over 15 years, should it be feared? not exactly, dependent on what assets you have deployed to combatants.
it was ours. Troops abandoned during one of BH offensive.
Pic of a sis in NE

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by dragon2(m): 6:13pm On Sep 28, 2014
The report by sahara-reporters is flawed. That is not a T-55. It's an ERC 90 sagaie most likely of the Nigerian Army deployed in the N.E.
If it belonged to Bokoharam i would expect it to be marked with the black insigna of the group as shown below, or with arabic writing.
If that is SH proof,then the story is in doubt.
What is true though is the capture of the MOWAG APC.

I have not seen any bokoharam video spotting an armoured vehicle having a 90mm,105mm or 125mm Gun.

Note the arrow

1 Like

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by jennybright(f): 6:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
They will never acknowledge that simple because it share the same initial with them.
God bless Nigerian Army
God bless FRN
GEJ till 2019

Dominiquez: Am so surprised APC never acknowledged the recent victories of our army.

It seems that what we are told is true.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by patostation(m): 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
LegatusGlaber: Kudos to the military.

But what is monstrous about this tank?

I expected to see an Abram's Tank or its equivalent, not an armoured vehicle with rubber tyre. Can this one move in an unpaved terrain? No wonder it was captured. It is a big weapon alright but monstrous? I doubt
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by 1nigerian: 6:18pm On Sep 28, 2014
[quote author=KingEbukasBlog]Surely this war is ending very soon. The Nigerian military is gaining upper hand by far. Read full report from Sahara Reporters [ http://saharareporters.com/2014/09/27/nigerian-troops-capture-monstrous-armored-tank-boko-haram-insurgents ] below :

Few weeks ago Nigeria army said boko Haram seized one of our fighting jet, up till date nothing has been said about the missing jet. Now I assume they want us to celebrate that they have an armour tank that belongs to boko haram in custody ....Game of Dons & Capons while me as an ordinary Nigerian refused to be the “Mumu”. ...Food for tots, I reserve my comments
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Ernestbukky(m): 6:19pm On Sep 28, 2014
something tells me shecow is
recording anoda video. there is a
political undertone to the events
currently unfolding. BH to me was all
politics before. election don near
suddenly bh are losing. very soon
chibok gals will be released. jona will
be praised and win d elections easily

Bros you are right.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by enomakos(m): 6:25pm On Sep 28, 2014
is that a tank?

a tank with tyre?
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by prowlG: 6:26pm On Sep 28, 2014
Cheap mtn data bundles
N300 for 250mb
N600 for 500mb
N900 for 750mb
N1200 for 1gb

https://www.nairaland.com/1924233/cheap-mtn-data-250mb-n300
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Sweetlemon(f): 6:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
We bless the good lord.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by austine4real(m): 6:32pm On Sep 28, 2014
taharqa: Islamic terrorists, u mean??
islam&violence are 5&6..i dnt hate muslims but i hate islam
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by timilehing(m): 6:33pm On Sep 28, 2014
Election is coming, boko harams are leaving, any body thinking as I am??

1 Like

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Orunto: 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
Is it French or NATO?
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by abatically(m): 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
olajide8: If that APC is that sophisticated and we don't have one in nigeria! Kai -are we truly the giant of africa? Or is it just gallant soldiers that we have? - because looking at the ability and capacity of that APC, mehn - we are finished! And if we do have it, that means it was part of the things stolen from our barracks, when those thwarts invaded them* can we start to look to buy more of those equipment it makes a lot of sense at least we have one now! We need like 30more-

You should do ur research bro, Nigeria is one of the countries that have ERC 90. That tank they posted is not a T-55 like they said, it is an ERC 90 so its either Sahara reporters are lying to us or they don't know what they are saying.

2 Likes

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Dayjhihannon01(m): 6:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
Handsomeemmy:
The Tank look like an ERC 90 Sagaie not T55
Everything about that Tank is monstrous,the fire power of that Tank alone is something else, Boko haram are indeed armed with sophisticated Weapon,I know the get most of their weapons as a result of the Civil war in Libya and the then Crisis in Mali.

Some of her function

ERC 90 can be armed with a 90mm F1/F4 canon or Cockerill Mk3 90mm low pressure gun depending upon the turret configuration. Lynx carries 21 rounds of 90mm ammunition and Sagaie carries 20 rounds of ammunition for main gun.
A coaxial 7.62mm machine gun serves as a secondary weapon for the vehicle. The vehicle is also fitted with four smoke grenade launchers.
Self-protection and armour

The vehicle protects the occupants from small arms fire, shell splinters and mines. The V-shaped welded steel structure on the bottom deflects the force of bomb blasts and protects the floor against damage from mines.
The ERC 90 NG features advanced armour protection suitable for present operational requirements. The vehicle is fitted with strengthened armour offering STANAG 4569 level 3 protection over the frontal arc and level 2 protection over other parts of the vehicle.
Engine power

ERC 90 is powered by 170hp MTU diesel engine replacing the older Peugeot V-6 petrol engine. The engine, coupled with an automatic Renk gearbox, delivers a maximum power of 125kW at 2,300rpm. The vehicle has a maximum speed of 95km/h and a range of 800km.
Mobility of the ERC 90 family of vehicles

ERC 90 can be deployed in almost all external operations.
"ERC 90 is a family of 6x6 wheeled armoured vehicles."
It demonstrates superior all-terrain capabilities and has an option to raise the centre pair of wheels to negotiate with different terrain types.
The vehicle is fully amphibious without preparation and is propelled in the water by rear mounted waterjets. ERC 90 is airportable by Transall C-160 and Hercules C-130 aircraft.

Courtesy of Google
tank God u put d source... Would av ask which force/terrorist group u are representing... tongue grin

Well, election is coming, boko-haram is ending; I'm I d only one seeing things?

WELL ITS NONE OF MA BUSSYYNESS grin grin

1 Like

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by abatically(m): 6:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
enomakos: is that a tank?

a tank with tyre?

Yes its a tank, or call it APC. And don't be deceived by the tyres, it is an added advantage. Gone are the days of the BIGGER the better. That thing is capable of destroying a whole village. Meanwhile it is not a T-55 like Sahara reporters posted so I doubt the authenticity of the news or the picture posted. That is an ERC 90 which has an advantage over the classic chain driven T-55 as it is faster and can move on all terrains. A T-55 wil struggle to move on tarmac but will do well offroad. An ERC 90 will move on tarmac and offroad with a top speed of up to 95km/hr while a T-55 will struggle to move at 40km/hr.

This is a T-55

You can see it has no resemblance with the picture posted by sahara reporters. But don't be deceived, the one they posted is ERC 90 which is more sophisticated. It can even move in water.

2 Likes

Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by enomakos(m): 6:57pm On Sep 28, 2014
abatically:

Yes its a tank, or call it APC. And don't be deceived by the tyres, it
is an added advantage. Gone are the days of the BIGGER the better. That
thing is capable of destroying a whole village. Meanwhile it is not a
T-55 like Sahara reporters posted so I doubt the authenticity of the
news or the picture posted. That is an ERC 90 which has an advantage
over the classic chain driven T-55 as it is faster and can move on all
terrains. A T-55 wil struggle to move on tarmac but will do well
offroad. An ERC 90 will move on tarmac and offroad with a top speed of
up to 95km/hr while a T-55 will struggle to move at 40km/hr.

This is a T-55

You
can see it has no resemblance with the picture posted by sahara
reporters. But don't be deceived, the one they posted is ERC 90 which is
more sophisticated. It can even move in water.

thanks
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Sucodking(m): 7:02pm On Sep 28, 2014
[quote author=Firefire]Allahu Akbar

Thank you Jesus[/are they related?]
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by Nmeri17: 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
Holywizard: God punish USA & bless Russia. USA keeps funding terrorists to destabilize other country's economies & to enrich themselves. Am sure dat tank is from Libya.

did you see the plate number of the tank LIBYA 30KOHAR4M cheesy cheesy
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by cecildeeva: 7:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
Election tinz!!!!hmmmmmmm Jona.all of a sudden d army ar winning,d blood of d innocent will surely hunt everyone behind all this.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by koikoi2(m): 7:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
Whether It's T55 or T95, all I know is dat d monstrous tank belonging to d terrorists has bn captured.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by amunites19(m): 7:12pm On Sep 28, 2014
#victoryforNigeria kudos to NA especially the ones @ the battle fields.
Re: See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram by jidxin(m): 7:26pm On Sep 28, 2014
I must comment..... Is dat tin massive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pic: Beautiful Handwriting Of Kashim Shettima / Igbo Group In Lagos Writes Fashola, Complains About Marginalisation / MASSOB Urges UN To Recognise State Of Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.