Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,104 members, 7,835,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others (5121 Views)

Dele Momodu Likens GEJ Fate Afta March To Lautent Gbagbo Of Ivory Coast Case / Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities / Cameroun To Supply Electricity To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by reedonne: 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
iamord:

That wasthe spirit of nkrumah!

I just dont know why our leader stray from the path of 1st national leaders. The first jet produced by the defense industry of Nigeria was in 197s, but as of today, there have been no improvement.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by reedonne: 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
iamord:

That wasthe spirit of nkrumah!

I just dont know why our leader stray from the path of 1st national leaders. The first jet produced by the defense industry of Nigeria was in 197s, till today, there have been no improvement.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by iamord(m): 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
F117A: I doubt that is what you call 'brain drain'.
Most of those Nigerians schooling in ghana tried gaining admission in Nigeria first but failed.
So in other words,the 'dregs' are the ones schooling in ghana.
And atleast 90% of them end up working in Nigeria anyway.
Btw, i learnt that the Nigerian senate is looking to ban certificates of most ghanian unis from working in Nigeria due to deplorable standard of graduates.
So Nigeria is not bothered.

You don't know that the nigerian education system is in a titanic ship state , but people feel relaxed when they look out the window and see other sail boats tilting.. Very soon you will understand the grim reality of what am talking about.. I have passed through jamb and although I made mine.. Ill say its crap! A good society is suppose to create an environment that molds the people and bring out their that creativeness in them, they will be good in one field or the other.. But from your post and one of the other guys here I can see the ones in ghana are the back benchers.. Th olodos.. The waste products. .. I guess the jamb is the sieve .. The wheat makes it in and the chaff thrown out to ghana, benin rep, uk , ukrain, malayasia etc.. Hahaha .. I laugh when blacks see one of their own in the likes of hollywood and on tv..and shout !! He is from nigeria!!! He is from ghana!!! I know his village!!!

Btw .. The truth as to why the nigerian government is trying to take such measures is to lure nigerians heading to ghana to school..its an indirect threat.. So if they like they should go on!
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by iamord(m): 5:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

Of course you want them to bring the money.It's a benefit for Ghana. As a Ngerian, I want that money kept in Nigeria and the only way is to revamp education.

Well that's true.. And ghana is not holding nigeria from developing their institution.. If even expect that ghana should be doing better than this.. If I were a leader .. am so going to revamp the ghana educational system !!for people far and wide to come over.. Its gonna be an educational ibiza!!!.. And the $$$$$$ will keep cuming in.. An offer majority won't refuse! So instead of the nigerian government revamping the system.. Let them keep taking shots at ghana and their “sub standard schools” and see how far it will carry them
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by iamord(m): 5:36pm On Oct 02, 2014
reedonne:

I just dont know why our leader stray from the path of 1st national leaders. The first jet produced by the defense industry of Nigeria was in 197s, but as of today, there have been no improvement.

That was the job of neo colonialist and unpatriotic africans. Do u know that as far back as 60s ghana already had nuclear reactors.. Manned by ghanaian scientist trained by the solviet union.. Ghana also first germany to do a successful open heart surgery, he built the akosombo dam which made the larrgest artifical lake dam in the world. Capable of powering the whole west africa.. With futher improvements .so you can imagine the calibre of people we had back then and how far we wouuld have gone... They just had to overthrow him cos. With the way the country was going .. The imperialist were scared! When the coup occurred some people say ghanas clock stopped ticking..the sold the factories, and left the rest to rot.. His other proposed projects never saw the light of day.. Today its still majority of his projects that successive government are implementing But we are back and I believe we can still do it and even better
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 5:42pm On Oct 02, 2014
iamord:

You don't know that the nigerian education system is in a titanic ship state , but people feel relaxed when they look out the window and see other sail boats tilting.. Very soon you will understand the grim reality of what am talking about.. I have passed through jamb and although I made mine.. Ill say its crap! A good society is suppose to create an environment that molds the people and bring out their that creativeness in them, they will be good in one field or the other.. But from your post and one of the other guys here I can see the ones in ghana are the back benchers.. Th olodos.. The waste products. .. I guess the jamb is the sieve .. The wheat makes it in and the chaff thrown out to ghana, benin rep, uk , ukrain, malayasia etc.. Hahaha .. I laugh when blacks see one of their own in the likes of hollywood and on tv..and shout !! He is from nigeria!!! He is from ghana!!! I know his village!!!

Btw .. The truth as to why the nigerian government is trying to take such measures is to lure nigerians heading to ghana to school..its an indirect threat.. So if they like they should go on!

Its not a threat, it is a protection measure (although crude), iI don't hink Gh certs are sub-standard and they should come at it with that angle. I think too premature,if they are not going to revamp Nigerian education. In the developed world, many countries put the same hurdles in. One to protect their jobs for their own, or to create an infow of money from international students, or even nationals with foreign certificates.

It just means that Ghanaians schools may need to start some campuses in Nigeria, or indirectly start an inflow of money from Nigerian students back to Naija. Unless of course, Ghana is willing to employ these graduates, as they have Ghanaian certs.

I agree with the measure, in principle, but I feel it is too premature and actually is not good right now for Nigeria, when Nigeria is not offering a suitable alternative or equivlent system.

They should revamp first, then bring in measures to discourage foreign study or particular benefits of Naija study rather. It may lead to Nigerian students doing a masters in Nigeria after Gh study. That would at least redress the balance.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 5:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

Its not a threat, it is a protection measure (although crude), iI don't hink Gh certs are sub-standard and they should come at it with that angle. I think too premature,if they are not going to revamp Nigerian education. In the developed world, many countries put the same hurdles in. One to protect their jobs for their own, or to create an infow of money from international students, or even nationals with foreign certificates.

It just means that Ghanaians schools may need to start some campuses in Nigeria, or indirectly start an inflow of money from Nigerian students back to Naija. Unless of course, Ghana is willing to employ these graduates, as they have Ghanaian certs.

I agree with the measure, in principle, but I feel it is too premature and actually is not good right now for Nigeria, when Nigeria is not offering a suitable alternative or equivlent system.

They should revamp first, then bring in measures to discourage foreign study or particular benefits of Naija study rather. It may lead to Nigerian students doing a masters in Nigeria after Gh study. That would at least redress the balance.
why do u want us to lose the money we get from nigerians who come to school in ghana? It will not work oo. Nigerian students love to come coz they love our environment, our ladies and other things not just for education. About the employment issue, most nigerians who come to study in ghana dont plan to work here afterwards. The few ones that decide too gets employed here oo. So dont stress much, your people will keep coming till their kingdom come.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 6:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
mrham03: why do u want us to lose the money we get from nigerians who come to school in ghana? It will not work oo. Nigerian students love to come coz they love our environment, our ladies and other things not just for education. About the employment issue, most nigerians who come to study in ghana dont plan to work here afterwards. The few ones that decide too gets employed here oo. So dont stress much, your people will keep coming till their kingdom come.

I'm not stressed. I wonder why most Nigerians don't plan to work there afterwards though, if they find it that great. However, if it becomes an unnecessary expense to study in Ghana, they will have to think about whether they want to school there, live/work long term or just visit.

Ghana will also need to think about whether they are ready to employ Nigeria students after study, which may in the long run possibly upset Ghanaians.

Would you mind if after graduating, the majority Nigerian students stayed behind in Ghana and were employed in Ghana?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by GHKWAME1: 6:56pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

I'm not stressed. I wonder why most Nigerians don't plan to work there afterwards though, if they find it that great. However, if it becomes an unnecessary expense to study in Ghana, they will have to think about whether they want to school there, live/work long term or just visit.

Ghana will also need to think about whether they are ready to employ Nigeria students after study, which may in the long run possibly upset Ghanaians.

Would you mind if after graduating, the majority Nigerian students stayed behind in Ghana and were employed in Ghana?

So Nigerian doctors and nurses going back to serve after gaining their qualification in Ghana are drop outs? So you would rather let your compatriots sit at home and be internet trolls looking for innocent grand mothers to defraud simply because the inability of your leaders to invest in education? Why should your compatriots sit at home when they qualify to gain admission into a tertiary institution with the waec results in Ghana? Or you will want them to boycott Ghana and prefer tertiary institutions in both Togo and Benin huh?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
GHKWAME1: So Nigerian doctors and nurses going back to serve after gaining their qualification in Ghana are drop outs? So you would rather let your compatriots sit at home and be internet trolls looking for innocent grand mothers to defraud simply because the inability of your leaders to invest in education? Why should your compatriots sit at home when they qualify to gain admission into a tertiary institution with the waec results in Ghana? Or you will want them to boycott Ghana and prefer tertiary institutions in both Togo and Benin huh?

Kwame, I am clear on the fact that I want Nigeria to improve to the point where students don't have to study elsewhere. The reason they are going to Ghana, or if not Ghana, Togo or Benin is a direct result of the Nigerian school system.

They should not sit at home, if they want to go to Ghana, they should, but that does not mean that they should not have Nigerian qualifications, if they want to work in Nigeria. Nigeria should even work out some conversion mechanisms for those returning that gives them a Naija equivalent.

Seriously though,you're acting as if you would be happy if Ghanaian students were trooping to Nigeria to study as a result of Ghana's shortcomings.

I would not see them as drop outs, it just means that they need to aquire a Nigerian qualification also, to work in Nigeria.

Is that not what already happens in other climes? You already know that countries such as UK/US etc, with one swoop makes people gain their national qualifications.

I don't see why a Nigerian student with a Ghanaian qualification can not stay and work in Ghana anyway.

Can you honestly say that you would be okay with it, if the shoe was on the other foot? You would be expecting your government to do something about it. It would be unacceptable to you, be honest now. You are only advocating it because of the benefit to Ghana. Fine. I am advocating a revamp to reverse the trend, because of the benefit to Nigeria.

If Ghanaian universities would ike to keep Nigerians so badly, let them build campuses in Nigeria. I'm sure the government will give them the land free, to do so.

So, what do you think about those doctors and nurses being employed in Ghana then, instead of going back to Nigeria? Why should the option to stay on not be there. When people go to UK or US to study nursing, many stay back and are employed there. They dont just get their quals and go back.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by GHKWAME1: 8:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

Kwame, I am clear on the fact that I want Nigeria to improve to the point where students don't have to study elsewhere. The reason they are going to Ghana, or if not Ghana, Togo or Benin is a direct result of the Nigerian school system.

They should not sit at home, if they want to go to Ghana, they should, but that does not mean that they should not have Nigerian qualifications, if they want to work in Nigeria. Nigeria should even work out some conversion mechanisms for those returning that gives them a Naija equivalent.

Seriously though,you're acting as if you would be I'll happy if Ghanaian students were trooping to Nigeria to study as a result of Ghana's shortcomings.

I would not see them as drop outs, it just means that they need to aquire a Nigerian qualification also, to work in Nigeria.

Is that not what already happens in other climes? You already know that countries such as UK/US etc, with one swoop makes people gain their national qualifications.

I don't see why a Nigerian student with a Ghanaian qualification can not stay and work in Ghana anyway.

Can you honestly say that you would be okay with it, if the shoe was on the other foot? You would be expecting your government to do something about it. It would be unacceptable to you, be honest now. You are only advocating it because of the benefit to Ghana. Fine. I am advocating a revamp to reverse the trend, because of the benefit to Nigeria.

If Ghanaian universities would ike to keep Nigerians so badly, let them build campuses in Nigeria. I'm sure the government will give them the land free, to do so.

So, what do you think about those doctors and nurses being employed in Ghana then, instead of going back to Ghana? Why should the option to stay on not be there. When people go to UK or US to study nursing, many stay back and are employed there. They dont just get their quals and go back.
Should the same be applied to Nigerians with European and American educational certificates since you are advocating for a conversion mechanism? This policy to attract foreigners(including Nigerians) into Ghana's educational institutions is not GOG(government of Ghana) driven, its private led. Believe it, but Ghana attracts students from all over Africa(mostly West Africans) led by Nigeria, and should Nigerians feel the need to stop attending Ghanaian institutions, they will be hurriedly filled.

Yes if the shoe was on the other foot I would not be pleased.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 8:27pm On Oct 02, 2014
GHKWAME1: Should the same be applied to Nigerians with European and American educational certificates since you are advocating for a conversion mechanism? This policy to attract foreigners(including Nigerians) into Ghana's educational institutions is not GOG(government of Ghana) driven, its private led. Believe it, but Ghana attracts students from all over Africa(mostly West Africans) led by Nigeria, and should Nigerians feel the need to stop attending Ghanaian institutions, they will be hurriedly filled.

Yes if the shoe was on the other foot I would not be pleased.

^^^^^I rest my case.

If Nigerians, after a revamp still want to study in Ghana fine (its a free world), but currently its a direct result of Nigeria's failings. In the case of Nigerians that go to Europe and the USA, they overwhelmingly have their first degree from Nigeria and actually go abroad, not just to study but to emigrate. Their host country makes them get their own certs.

They are usually not paying for a US/UK degree (investing abroad) then expecting Nigeria to employ them straight after completion. Which is the case with Nigerians returning from Ghana.

Many nations of the world require people to have their own national qualifications. I've just come back to the UK from Australia. Even though my Aussie qualification was developed with the Uk governing body and specifically has its origins in the UK regulations, I have to do the UK version to work in my field in the UK. People who have the UK version, have to do the Australian version, when wanting to work in Australia.

Australia even provides courses to do the UK version, which it does not even recognise, because it is revenue.

Canada has it's own, as does the US have it's own.

If those countries did not do that,people who invest money elsewhere and then compete for the same opportuities, as someone who invested in that country, while they were away. Even if its just conversion, or paying to get certs assessed or sitting an exam. Investment has to be made.

There should be a mutual monetary benefit.

I dont agree with Nigeria banning GH certs though. Its the typical crack a nut with a sledge hammer politics.

If Nigerians will be hurriedly replaced with others, then there is no issue, is there.?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 8:40pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

hmmm! To be honest i wont be happy. But its all about the mindset. U know there about 4 million nigerians in ghana ryt? If we ghanaians make up our minds to accomodate those whose come for schooling into the job sector after school is over, we can do that. Its achievable. It myt even attract more investments from nigeria. It all depends on whether the government decides to do that and how to make ghanaians understand it. Btw do u know that there are other areas that nigeria loses money more than through the educational sector?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 8:56pm On Oct 02, 2014
mrham03: hmmm! To be honest i wont be happy. But its all about the mindset. U know there about 4 million nigerians in ghana ryt? If we ghanaians make up our minds to accomodate those whose come for schooling into the job sector after school is over, we can do that. Its achievable. It myt even attract more investments from nigeria. It all depends on whether the government decides to do that and how to make ghanaians understand it. Btw do u know that there are other areas that nigeria loses money more than through the educational sector?

@ bolded, well, that changes the dynamic then. If they can work in Ghana afterwards.

Yes, there are other sectors that we are losing money. They should be addressed too.

All countries, monitor and see how to close gaps or reassess to get to a place where there is mutual benefit. Nigeria is trying to improve in those areas, just like other countries do.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

@ bolded, well, that changes the dynamic then. If they can work in Ghana afterwards.

Yes, there are other sectors that we are losing money. They should be addressed too.

All countries, monitor and see how to close gaps or reassess to get to a place where there is mutual benefit. Nigeria is trying to improve in those areas, just like other countries do.
are u sure about that? Can u tell me the sectors in which nigeria is trying to reduce the loss of money?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by GHKWAME1: 9:14pm On Oct 02, 2014
Ghana’s ruling government has concluded plans
to begin export of electric power to Nigeria and
other West African countries by 2015. grin

The country’s Vice President, Mr John Dramani
Mahama, who unfolded the plan in Accra, on
Tuesday, said the government has already
embarked on extensive expansion of power
infrastructure to enable them achieve the
project.
Mahama explained that a key motivation for the
investment was that Ghana presently has
competitive advantage in the area of power
supply over other neighbouring countries,
including Nigeria, which is still grappling with
massive power deficit for its estimated 150
million citizens
. grin grin grin https://www.nairaland.com/826346/nigeria-buy-electricity-ghana-believe

The world heard this, ten years ago, ten years
before that and we will hear it ten years later....
Can you please provide a link to your delusional
claim? We both know whose generator set is on
sanandreas: just because Nigerians come to your country study in ur mushroom school. You spew nonsense. I have known Ghanains to be mercurial people. power supply have improved greatly in Nigeria. my state supplied you light that u celebrated. The power station at sapele in delta state fed your grid for years. power problem on Ghana started when Nigeria stopped feeding your grids. Nigeria is a great nation with vast human and natural resources. Ghana as a country is just like two state in Nigeria. don't ever compare Ghana and Nigeria in any form. we nor be mate at all.

Benin, Togo ask for more power from Ghana.............. "Benin and Togo have made a joint request to the Ghana government to
supply them with more power, since their power situation is more desperate than Ghana’s.

“The situation in Benin and Togo is worse.” Ghana has reduced the contractual supply of power to Benin and Togo from 90 MW to 35 MW after the destruction of a pipeline belonging to the West Africa Gas Pipeline Project (WAGP) in August 2012.

The cut in power supply to the two countries has resulted in massive load shedding and power disruption in Togo
and Benin between eight and 12 hours or more daily.
Mr Kassa(Benin minister for energy) looked worried, apprehensive and expectant when he pleaded with the
minister to compromise and increase the power supply slightly upwards, but
Mr Buah(Ghana minister for Energy) was firm and said Ghana could only help when the situation in the
country normalised.
Mr Buah’s response created more distress for Mr Kassa and his team, who shoved diplomacy aside and displayed
open worry.

Ghana Commissions New Dam

The Electricity Company of Ghana(ECG) made history on Friday when it
became the first company in the West African sub-region to pioneer the supply of power to villages on the borders of neighbouring countries.

Ghana solar energy plant set to be Africa's largest

Nigeria, highest importer of generator sets grin grin
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 9:18pm On Oct 02, 2014
mrham03: are u sure about that? Can u tell me the sectors in which nigeria is trying to reduce the loss of money?

Nigeria is making efforts to reduce imports (long term) in quite a few areas. The FG is working on making arrangements that are of mutual benefit to Nigeria/ns I'll get more info for you in a bit.

What areas are you refering to that Nigeria is not trying to reduce loss of money from? Maybe you can elaborate.

Still, Nigerian students is one of the areas in which we are losing revenue. Gaps need to be closed there too.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 9:40pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

Nigeria is making efforts to reduce imports (long term) in quite a few areas. The FG is working on making arrangements that are of mutual benefit to Nigeria/ns I'll get more info for you in a bit.

What areas are you refering to that Nigeria is not trying to reduce loss of money from? Maybe you can elaborate.

Still, Nigerian students is one of the areas in which we are losing revenue. Gaps need to be closed there too.
am waiting oo! Bring all the facts here.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 9:42pm On Oct 02, 2014
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 9:57pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

I will, I'm actually multi-tasking. You're really convinced in you stance huh? Lol
i really am. Take me as a stubborn voter who needs alot of convincing in other to give u his vote. Now am all ears, convince me anytime u are ready with the facts. Lmao
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 10:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
mrham03: i really am. Take me as a stubborn voter who needs alot of convincing in other to give u his vote. Now am all ears, convince me anytime u are ready with the facts. Lmao

Okay, don't forget you also have to convince me of your assertion that there are no efforts to save money/bring costs down.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 10:12pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

Okay, don't forget you also have to convince me of your assertion that there are no efforts to save money/bring costs down.
i will leave u stunned and wowed after i present to u my facts which are accurate and direct.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 10:22pm On Oct 02, 2014
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 10:23pm On Oct 02, 2014

Nigeria’s shrinking imports data show policy gaining traction
August 21, 2014 | Filed under: Exclusive,main story | Author: Edozie Ifebi

Recent trends in Nigeria’s import trade dynamics have seen import values shrink since the last quarter of 2013, indicating that government’s policies to improve the country’s terms of trade are gaining traction.
These policies include the Agriculture Transformation Agenda, National Industrial Revolution Plan, backward integration programme, among others.

Imports into Nigeria have been falling for the two most recent quarters for which data are available (Q4 2013 and Q1 2014).

The National Bureau of Statistics’ (NBS) import figures for Q4 2013 show that imports fell by 19 percent from Q3 2013, recording a trade surplus of 20.3 percent for the period.

Nigerian exports in the first quarter of 2014 also rose by 14.2 percent from the previous quarter, while imports fell by 8.3 percent, resulting in a trade surplus of N2.4 trillion. Q1 2014 trade surplus rose to 35.4 percent, higher than the surplus for the previous quarter. Imports fell by 8.3 percent from Q4 2013, and 6.2 percent from the corresponding quarter of 2013.

Nigeria’s import figures have been falling markedly since the new Federal Government’s policy on rice, sugar (initiated in February 2013, but took effect in June 2013), fish, and most recently, the new automotive policy.

The policies, aimed at boosting the nation’s agric sector, have seen food imports fall by N2.5 billion in the last three years, according to Akinwumi Adesina, minister of agriculture and rural development, adding that Nigeria would surpass its target and produce 22 million tonnes of additional food by 2015.

“When we started in 2011, our aim was to produce additional 20 million tonnes of food to the existing production. As at the end of 2013, 17 million tonnes of additional food had been produced since 2011, and by 2015, 22 million tonnes of additional food would be produced,” said Adesina.

He said Nigeria was now the reference point for agriculture on the continent as the country was rapidly closing its food importation gap.

The new policies have seen a significant fall in the volume of those goods imported. Since the Federal Government imposed the new levy in addition to the import duty on rice imports, the Nigerian Customs’ rice-related annual revenues have fallen by at least 70 percent.

Prior to the implementation of the policy, rice imports accounted for between 70 percent to 90 percent of the Apapa Area One Customs Command’s monthly revenue.

Revenue generated from rice levies dipped by 90.6 percent, from N125.3 billion to N11.8 billion.

Charles Edike, Customs area controller, Apapa Area1 Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), said in an interview that the new import policy affected the revenue collection of the command.

“Fish, which used to be the second revenue source for the command, was also affected by the policy of government,” Edike said.

The NBS’ classification by section showed that the structure of Nigeria’s import trade was dominated by boilers, machinery and appliances (23.7 percent) mineral products (16 percent), vehicles, aircraft and parts (13 percent), base metals and articles of base metals (9.5 percent), and chemical and allied industries (8.5 percent).

At specific product level, motor spirit had the greatest value of imports, comprising 12.5 percent of total imports for Q1 2014, followed by spelt (common wheat) and meslin (a mixture of wheat/rye) at 3.5 percent, and machine tools at 3 percent of the total value of imports.

Wheat and wheat-related products, accounting for the second largest import commodity by value, highlights the degree of food dependency of the Nigerian economy.

This means that the Nigerian economy is still susceptible to fluctuations of food commodity prices on the international market. Increased wheat prices internationally will have knock-on effects for the FMCG industry and subsequently result in imported inflation.

Classification by broad economic categories showed that industrial supplies comprised 28.2 percent of total imports, followed by capital goods (22.3 percent) and transport equipment and parts (14.4 percent).

Nigeria’s trade surplus figures have acted as a boosting factor to the country’s macro-economic fundamentals. The value of the naira is expected to be stable in the near term, as demand for dollar eases, going by the analysis of the trade data. More accretion in the foreign reserves is also expected.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 10:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, on Thursday, flagged off the implementation of the $1.5billion (about N260billion) Quantum Petrochemical Complex in Ibeno, Akwa Ibom State.

The state-of-the-art facility will produce a range of petrochemicals including polyethylene, polypropylene and methanol.

He also commissioned the Uquo Gas Processing Facility built by Seven Energy and operated by Frontier Oil Limited, an indigenous company.

Speaking moments after unveiling the plaque of the petrochemical project, Jonathan observed that the plant is a major investment which will create jobs and and rob off on other industries in the country.

He praised the chairman of the Board of the company, Mr. Jim Ovia, for his commitment to the development of the nation, saying, "you have decided to bring the money back home."

Jonathan, who described Ovia as "one of those making Nigerians proud," similarly thanked the owners of the land upon which the plant is being built as well a the Ibeno community for ensuring its security.

In his remarks, Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State, pointed out that the owner of the plant decided on his own accord to site it in the state without being lobbied.

He lauded the President for personally coming to perform the groundbreaking ceremony, thus providing it with Presidential Seal of approval.

"Mr. President, you said nothing can stop you, not even ebola, to be personally present to put the Presidential seal of approval on the project," the governor remarked.

Speaking earlier, Ovia disclosed that the project is being executed at the cost of $1.5billion.

He noted the importance of the project because of the derivatives it will produce which are necessary to produce other essential goods in the country.

Ovia said: "The importance of developing capacity within the petrochems industry should not be underestimated. Petrochemicals provide the foundation for manufacturing industries; for example, construction, packaging, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, textiles, etc.

"Petrochemicals are vital to our everyday life: the plastic bottles that allow us to drink sanitary water, the clothes that we wear, the fertilisers that we use to grow crops, the tires on our cars that brought us here today, the shovel that we use to break the ground, the cosmetics that ladies among us applied today, the pharmaceuticals we take everyday to enjoy a healthy life; all are derivatives of petrochemicals of some form.

"This petrochemical park will enable a whole host of local industries to sprout and flourish: providing significant employment opportunities for Nigerians."

Ovia commended the President for his presence at the occasion, describing as a demonstration of his support of the transformation of all sectors of the country.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 10:35pm On Oct 02, 2014
mrham03: i will leave u stunned and wowed after i present to u my facts which are accurate and direct.

Okay cool.....I should have known......lol

You dont get tired huh?

Anyhoo........................
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by mrham03(m): 11:16pm On Oct 02, 2014
londoner:

Okay cool.....I should have known......lol

You dont get tired huh?

Anyhoo........................
tired of whaaa? Dont tell u had no facts to back up your statements. I never knew londoner to be the type who runs away but thats life. Am shocked though. Run all u want but u cant hide from me. I will get u tomorrow.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by londoner: 11:40pm On Oct 02, 2014
mrham03: tired of whaaa? Dont tell u had no facts to back up your statements. I never knew londoner to be the type who runs away but thats life. Am shocked though. Run all u want but u cant hide from me. I will get u tomorrow.

Hmmmmm........... cry
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Khin: 4:40pm On Oct 04, 2014
Vessi:
Political promises. Those funds he borrowed for power projects would be siphoned as always. Why didn't they export electricity to west africa before now?
grin They wanna act as big brother to Nigeria, forgeting who the real big brother is.grin

Ghana before was supplying Electricity to other African countries like Benin, Togo and Burkina Faso. So what's wrong if Ghana wants to supply Electricity to Nigeria...? Dont Nigeria already supply Ghana with Gas. Would this be a problem to you if it was the USA supplying Nigeria with Electricity...? What's with the unnecessary Ego, Can't African countries share infrastructure among themselves.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
Khin:

Ghana before was supplying Electricity to other African countries like Benin, Togo and Burkina Faso. So what's wrong if Ghana wants to supply Electricity to Nigeria...? Dont Nigeria already supply Ghana with Gas. Would this be a problem to you if it was the USA supplying Nigeria with Electricity...? What's with the unnecessary Ego, Can't African countries share infrastructure among themselves.
Well. We have all it takes to generate ur own electricity. We have coal, we have plenty water, we have natural gas, we have crude oil. Name it. It's just a leadership problem. And I wouldn't want a fellow african country to help us with electricity when we have all it takes to supply west africa with electricity and remain self-sufficient. It's ego. Yes, but we should learn to solve our own problems with the resources before us waiting to be tapped and put to good use.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Khin: 5:01pm On Oct 04, 2014
Vessi:

Well. We have all it takes to generate ur own electricity. We have coal, we have plenty water, we have natural gas, we have crude oil. Name it. It's just a leadership problem. And I wouldn't want a fellow african country to help us with electricity when we have all it takes to supply west africa with electricity and remain self-sufficient. It's ego. Yes, but we should learn to solve our own problems with the resources before us waiting to be tapped and put to good use.

Ohhh cool. But since your government has failed the people, It nothing wrong with Ghana supplying Nigeria with Electricity.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2014
Khin:

Ohhh cool. But since your government has failed the people, It nothing wrong with Ghana supplying Nigeria with Electricity.
That will never happen. Bookmark this post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hausa And Yoruba Clash @ Mile 12 / Employment, Unemployment and Underemployment Rate By State / The New Political Dimension Of Northern Nigeria And The New Generation (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.