Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others (5096 Views)

Dele Momodu Likens GEJ Fate Afta March To Lautent Gbagbo Of Ivory Coast Case / Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities / Cameroun To Supply Electricity To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 02, 2014

Ghana has said that it’ll soon
be exporting thousands of
megawatts of electricity to
Nigeria, Ivory Coast and other
neighbouring countries that
have power deficit.

This was made known by the West African country
President, Mr. John Mahama,
at the Africa Global Business
and Economic Forum in Dubai
on Wednesday. He said his government had
made huge investments in
power generation that would
enable the country to export
excess electricity to Nigeria
and others. “We have given priority to
electricity generation in our
country. We have prioritised
energy in such a way that we
want to become the hub for
power production in West Africa. We want to generate
electricity to the point that
excess power can be exported
to Nigeria, Ivory Coast and
other countries that have
power deficit,” he said. To achieve this dream,
Mahama said his country had
secured export-import
financing from China as well
as special funds from Abu
Dhabi to commence series of power generation projects,
adding that a third
hydropower dam project was
already at an advanced stage.
The Ghanaian leader spoke in a
panel discussion along with
President Paul Kagame of
Rwanda and President Mulatu
Wirtu of the Federal
Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.

Mahama added, “Where Africa
faces some of its challenges
lies its biggest opportunities.
We are leveraging on public-
private sector partnership to
build infrastructure. Be it roads, electricity, ports or
communication systems; if w
create the right environment,
investors will come. “Creating the right
environment that will attract
foreign direct investment is
key.” In achieving this, the Ghanaian
leader joined Kagame and
Wirtu to emphasise the need
for African governments to
strengthen anti-corruption
agencies in their various countries. “Issues of accountability and
transparency are very
important. There must be
mechanism to fight
corruption. We all have
institutions but the major thing is resourcing them to
effectively fight corruption
and perform effectively,” he
noted. According to Kagame, African
governments must create a
system that is not
sympathetic to corruption,
saying this would help drive
the required Foreign Direct Investment into the
continent. He said, “It is one thing to
have the institutions; it is
another thing to allow them
to work. Governance and
structure must be in place to
make them to work,” he said. “African governments must
fix infrastructure, investment
in development of education
and skills, and also enhance
connectivity among African
countries.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 02, 2014
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by eightsin(m): 8:25am On Oct 02, 2014
This has to be a joke!! Export ni export ko
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 02, 2014
Political promises. Those funds he borrowed for power projects would be siphoned as always. Why didn't they export electricity to west africa before now?
grin They wanna act as big brother to Nigeria, forgeting who the real big brother is grin

We are already supplying them with gas for electricity. If they wanna return the kind gesture then no problem, it still doesn't make them the big brother.grin
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Energito: 8:31am On Oct 02, 2014
Op tell your govt to do something about your economy 1st.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 02, 2014
eightsin: This has to be a joke!! Export ni export ko
what joke? Well it's on every news sha. This is a wake up call for Nigeria. I'll be ashamed of this country if that happens. I am not against the importation of power from Ghana. But we need to revamp our power sector which is in absolute comatose. It is an embarrasing thing. We should be exporting electricity to West Africa.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 02, 2014
Energito: Op tell your govt to do something about your economy 1st.
Energito am not from Ghana. You thought only Ghanaians could post this type of news on Nairaland?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by echobee(f): 8:40am On Oct 02, 2014
Hmmmmmmm! Joke of d year. Export ko,import ni sad

1 Like

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Tallesty1(m): 8:43am On Oct 02, 2014
Shame
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by benega: 9:04am On Oct 02, 2014
Buhahahahahaha joke of the day. They havent finish consuming the power we are exporting to them. And their talking of exporting 2 us.......meanwhile: Nairalander in BBA hot_shots. Let's show him our support. Check my signature
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Richhommie(m): 9:08am On Oct 02, 2014
Like seriously.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by ayukdaboss(m): 9:10am On Oct 02, 2014
Hahahahaha grin
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by priscaoge(f): 9:10am On Oct 02, 2014
Making mockery of Nigeria. angry Giant of Africa undecided Those we supply electricity now wanna help us. What an irony of life. Let's see if it will make the electricity suppliers in Nigeria to sit up. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by overhypedsteve(m): 9:13am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobleval:
Ghana has said that it’ll soon
be exporting thousands of
megawatts of electricity to
Nigeria, Ivory Coast and other
neighbouring countries that
have power deficit.

This was made known by the West African country
President, Mr. John Mahama,
at the Africa Global Business
and Economic Forum in Dubai
on Wednesday. He said his government had
made huge investments in
power generation that would
enable the country to export
excess electricity to Nigeria
and others. “We have given priority to
electricity generation in our
country. We have prioritised
energy in such a way that we
want to become the hub for
power production in West Africa. We want to generate
electricity to the point that
excess power can be exported
to Nigeria, Ivory Coast and
other countries that have
power deficit,” he said. To achieve this dream,
Mahama said his country had
secured export-import
financing from China as well
as special funds from Abu
Dhabi to commence series of power generation projects,
adding that a third
hydropower dam project was
already at an advanced stage.
The Ghanaian leader spoke in a
panel discussion along with
President Paul Kagame of
Rwanda and President Mulatu
Wirtu of the Federal
Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.

Mahama added, “Where Africa
faces some of its challenges
lies its biggest opportunities.
We are leveraging on public-
private sector partnership to
build infrastructure. Be it roads, electricity, ports or
communication systems; if w
create the right environment,
investors will come. “Creating the right
environment that will attract
foreign direct investment is
key.” In achieving this, the Ghanaian
leader joined Kagame and
Wirtu to emphasise the need
for African governments to
strengthen anti-corruption
agencies in their various countries. “Issues of accountability and
transparency are very
important. There must be
mechanism to fight
corruption. We all have
institutions but the major thing is resourcing them to
effectively fight corruption
and perform effectively,” he
noted. According to Kagame, African
governments must create a
system that is not
sympathetic to corruption,
saying this would help drive
the required Foreign Direct Investment into the
continent. He said, “It is one thing to
have the institutions; it is
another thing to allow them
to work. Governance and
structure must be in place to
make them to work,” he said. “African governments must
fix infrastructure, investment
in development of education
and skills, and also enhance
connectivity among African
countries.
i am here and where i am ghanians tremble, i export fear to Ghana
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by 0rlando0woh: 9:18am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobleval: what joke? Well it's on every news sha. This is a wake up call for Nigeria. I'll be ashamed of this country if that happens. I am not against the importation of power from Ghana. But we need to revamp our power sector which is in absolute comatose. It is an embarrasing thing. We should be exporting electricity to West Africa.
My guy stop talking trash, Ghana cannot even provide elctricity for the few houses that are connected to their grid let alone export it.
They struggle to generate up to 1000MW.
People like you just jump at any opprtunity to attack Nigeria. I am sure you are one of those spreading the lies that Ghana went 25 years without power failure whereas in reality they haven't even gone 25 days of uninterrupted power supply

5 Likes

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 02, 2014
benega: Buhahahahahaha joke of the day. They havent finish consuming the power we are exporting to them. And their talking of exporting 2 us.......meanwhile: Nairalander in BBA hot_shots. Let's show him our support. Check my signature
keep living in fools paradise.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 02, 2014
0rlando0woh:
My guy [s]stop talking trash, Ghana cannot even provide elctricity for the few houses that are connected to their grid let alone export it.
They struggle to generate up to 1000MW.[/s]
People like you just jump at any opprtunity to attack Nigeria. [s]I am sure you are one of those spreading the lies that Ghana went 25 years without power failure whereas in reality they haven't even gone 25 days of uninterrupted power supply.[/s]
do you think you made sense? You're attacking me as if I wrote the news. Can't you see the links to the sources..?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 02, 2014
chinasaekpere: what is the total installed power capacity of ghana?
I wouldn't know about that. I don't live in Ghana.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by 0rlando0woh: 9:37am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobleval: do you think you made sense? You're attacking me as if I wrote the news. Can't you see the links to the sources..?
I attacked your subsequent ignorant comment not the thread you opened. Go to the punch website and read comments from Nigerians in Ghana and Ghanaians telling them about the real situation.
If the title of the news was Nigeria will soon export electricity, I am sure you would have disregarded the news irrespective of the source carrying it.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 02, 2014
chinasaekpere: answer my question, what is the power installed capacity of ghana and the total power generated?
seems you need the help of Google.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 02, 2014
0rlando0woh:
I attacked your subsequent ignorant comment not the thread you opened. Go to the punch website and read comments from Nigerians in Ghana and Ghanaians telling them about the real situation.
[s]If the title of the news was Nigeria will soon export electricity, I am sure you would have disregarded the news irrespective of the source carrying it[/s].
you mean this?>>
Nobleval: what joke? Well it's on every news sha. This is a wake up call for Nigeria. I'll be ashamed of this country if that happens. I am not against the importation of power from Ghana. But we need to revamp our power sector which is in absolute comatose. It is an embarrasing thing. We should be exporting electricity to West Africa.
what is wrong with this comment of mine?
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 02, 2014
chinasaekpere: incase you don't know, ghana has an installed capacity of 2,100-2,500MW and lagos alone requires 5000MW to have a steady power supply while ghana generates less than 3000MW. Nigeria has an installed capacity of close to 10,000MW. Do you see any sense in what ghana president is saying?
Yea I see a lot of sense. He will never say that if he's not sure of doing it. Quit giving us statistics.
Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by 0rlando0woh: 10:00am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobleval: you mean this?>>what is wrong with this comment of mine?
Any sensible person knows that Nigeria will never import electricity from Ghana, not in the next 50 years.
So saying you will be ashamed of Nigeria if that happens is absolutely needless.
It like an article saying Nigeria will soon export electricity to China.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by 0rlando0woh: 10:02am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobleval: Yea I see a lot of sense. He will never say that if he's not sure of doing it. Quit giving us statistics.
You are a fool.
If a Nigerian official had talked about exporting electricity to other countries, would you have seen the same sense.
How will a country like Ghana that currently struggles to generate even up to 1000MW export electricity to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Ghana Poise To Export Electricity To Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Others by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 02, 2014
0rlando0woh:
You are a fool.
If a Nigerian official had talked about exporting electricity to other countries, would you have seen the same sense.
How will a country like Ghana that currently struggles to generate even up to 1000MW export electricity to Nigeria?
I don't accept that angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking: APC Split Into Factions. / What Is Marginalization in Respect To Igbos / French NGO Caught In The Forest Delivering Food And Medical Supplies To Boko Har

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.