Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (25453 Views)

How To Eat Meat In Public? / Good Friday: Did You Eat Meat ? / Please Help Me, I Can't Eat Meat Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by dareogunsanwo(m): 5:58am On Oct 03, 2014
Meat is encouragement, if I eat what encourage me to eat the food then it is sure I may not finish the food

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Lovexme(m): 5:58am On Oct 03, 2014
Why should meat be the 'motivation' to eat cooked meal? That is just the most ludicrous thing I've read this year.

I suppose I'm not an average Nigerian 'cos I could eat any food without the presence of meat(s), and I surely wouldn't finish the food before I start tearing apart the meat.

I guess it's just my upbringing undecided

People wey go chop poison because of meat plenty. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by marvelos: 5:59am On Oct 03, 2014
Probably for those meals with only one meat
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by lilbabyak(m): 6:02am On Oct 03, 2014
[color=#550000][/color]the time you eat the meat depends on the number of meat in your plate. If na my mother she will only give me one meat and that means until after the meal but if it's me I go pack my thing go one corner dey eat any how I feel
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by lawrenceunaa: 6:05am On Oct 03, 2014
eddyland: Well, I have noticed that we Nigerians like eating the meat(s) in our food at the end of the meal. And I have also seen many instances even when there are multiple pieces of meat in the soup, they will eat everything first before finally taking on the meat.

I don't really know why it is so, or has it just turned to our culture? Why do you think that Nigerians like eating meat last in their plate of food?
abi u no de eat meat ?

na for protein joor
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Kirinwa: 6:08am On Oct 03, 2014
If there are plenty meat in the food, I personally will eat them during the course of meal except one which will be the prize meat- Its called saving the best for the last.

Meat is like a prize, a reward for your efforts as you are eating and looking at it, it gives you a kind of hope and special kind of pleasure looking at it knowing that your efforts in eating will be rewarded but once you eat the meat its the end as you see people dropping remains since the food itself is not sweet.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by UjSizzle(f): 6:11am On Oct 03, 2014
That was the best way to get children to clean their plates. So I guess we just grew up with it smiley

The last time i tried eating my meat before clearing my plate, i lost appetite for the food. It was like there was no incentive left undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by djeezy(m): 6:23am On Oct 03, 2014
SirHouloo: Coz the best is always reserved for the last!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by ShakurM(m): 6:25am On Oct 03, 2014
It's like I came, I saw and I conquered(the meat)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by M4gunners: 6:26am On Oct 03, 2014
Because it motivates you to eat more. However this is how i was train up by my mum.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by timilehing(m): 6:33am On Oct 03, 2014
Meat serves as fuel when eating, once the fuel finished before you reached your destination......... vehicle stops
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Sunday17: 6:49am On Oct 03, 2014
Reason is that when eating meat(big) not this 20# 50# meat. It will consume time making the food to get cold somehow... I prefer taking some bite when eating and finishing d rest after meal. it will last in mouth coz nothing is coming in again at that moment except water.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by okotv(m): 6:52am On Oct 03, 2014
I was taught so in primary school using a rhyme that goes thus "never eat your meat before your food".....just an excerpt
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by pyyxxaro: 6:54am On Oct 03, 2014
Eating meat at the end of ur meal ,makes the food digest faster grin especially meat like horse, donkey , camel etc cry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Phoenixfrank(m): 7:02am On Oct 03, 2014
I think its one of those cultural imperialistic stuffs the white men used to do and so our people acculturated it. Personally I think the meat in the food has become a rationality of one's status symbol whether eaten after or before meal. Eaten last or first all depends ur cultural background.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Tex42(m): 7:03am On Oct 03, 2014
gen2briz: Try and eat meat before you finish food for my mummy face, Hummmm you go hear am. For me, na upbringing.
i totally agree with you.

my mum,she made sure we grew up with that belief that you only touch your meat(s) after you have finished eating.she wouldn't hesitate to slap the devil out of my low-cut(almost skin)when ever she discovers that i even scratched my meat when i'm not done eating.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by fairheven: 7:04am On Oct 03, 2014
I tink is more with easterners,because yoruba folks will first grab the meat even before the food is served grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by BlissB(f): 7:07am On Oct 03, 2014
As 4 me,i was brought up dat way n got use to eat but in some cases wen am eatin wit kidnappers of meat i eat d meat before i finish my food
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Tex42(m): 7:07am On Oct 03, 2014
pyyxxaro: Eating meat at the end of ur meal ,makes the food digest faster grin especially meat like horse, donkey , camel etc cry
removes 'etc'.

vulture,crocodile,snake,iguana,etc
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Kunlexic(m): 7:08am On Oct 03, 2014
I knew some pple dat won't eat any food dat has no meat on top
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by ccbb4u: 7:09am On Oct 03, 2014
SirHouloo: Coz the best is always reserved for the last!
ON POINT
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by pyyxxaro: 7:29am On Oct 03, 2014
Tex42: removes 'etc'.

vulture,crocodile,snake,iguana,etc

grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 03, 2014
I honestly have no idea. I grew up to see everyone around me doing it. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by prowlG: 7:37am On Oct 03, 2014
Extremely cheap mtn data bundles
Starting from 300naira for 250mb
https://www.nairaland.com/1917369/extremely-cheap-mtn-data-300
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by wiringdpt(m): 7:45am On Oct 03, 2014
Yoruba upbringing. I still do it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 03, 2014
Those with one tiny piece do that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by jennybuk001(f): 7:53am On Oct 03, 2014
meat is d main reason for me eating d foood oooo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by chibwike(m): 7:54am On Oct 03, 2014
eddyland: Must you comment?
hehehehe
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by Toosure70: 8:01am On Oct 03, 2014
poverty
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by sweetgala(m): 8:04am On Oct 03, 2014
Upbringing really , my friends still accuse me of eating in an orderly manner as thou I am organising every grain.
I tend to finish the meat last thou I might take a bite of two mid meal.
If it is a though meat or one that my fork and knife can not separate I would keep it for a final battle with my hands , canine and incisors grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by chronique(m): 8:05am On Oct 03, 2014
That's how most of us were brought up and I think it makes sense. Why eat the meat before the main food?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? by yinkuscious(m): 8:16am On Oct 03, 2014
A Nigerians will not eat meat until d end of d meal because they'll want anybody dat comes in during d eating period 2 know dat they are eatin with meat, but if u eat it at d beginning or b4 d end of d meal, anybody who comes in by that time will tink u can't afford 2 add meat 2 ur meal. To me, there is no time d meat is eaten that is is not to be eaten, since the food nd d meat has d same destination and its not about who reached there first.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Best Suya Spots In Lagos- The Vanguard Newspaper / How To Make Ofe Owerri (Pictures) / Naira To Sell At N415/$ As CBN Sustains Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.