Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,058 members, 7,814,641 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time (65871 Views)

(photos) Model With The Biggest Hips In Africa Releases New Photos / 5 Reasons Why Don Jazzy Is The Greatest Nigerian Producer / MTV Africa Releases Their List Of Top 20 Greatest Naija Songs Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by cooltobex(m): 2:38pm On Oct 03, 2014
daxon001:
Wat do u mean.u concur wif d list because u don't know d art of singing.u're carried away wif all d 'worthless buzz' they(except african queen)got wen they wer released.i weep 4 our music.how can they flood their list wif dese songs dat lak substance? undecided
PS:afta d guys dance ridiculously and girls shake their baksides,wat next?

So, you are implying that except for African Queen, other songs on the list got 'worthless buzz'.
Please, define 'worthless buzz'. Music that lack substance, seriously? What do you mean when you say this?
People will just be forming serious-minded annoyingly. Because a song is meant for the clubs, means it lacks substance. Bros i hail o.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 03, 2014
Support Goodluck Jonathan 2015 - TAN? grin
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by cooltobex(m): 2:40pm On Oct 03, 2014
Please let's not crucify MTV, they only shared their opinion.
But seriously, did they dub the list 'greatest of all time' or na we dey give am that name.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Mancity26(m): 2:40pm On Oct 03, 2014
Dottune: The Top 5 Should be In This Arrangement:

1. African Queen- 2face
2. Do me - Psquare
3. Why Me - D'banj
4. Gan Gan Aso - 9ice
5. Hollar At Your Boy- Wizkid
wht abt mr flavour-nwa baby?
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Agbele1(m): 2:41pm On Oct 03, 2014
Street credibility (9ce / 2face),plantation boiz
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Simplyunique: 2:41pm On Oct 03, 2014
Guys check out this hawt new video from WAJE.

Download Waje – No Be You [VIDEO]
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by OtunbaOlufemi(m): 2:45pm On Oct 03, 2014
My Reality-cymbalkrew
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson died 43 years ago but his songs still live. He was just 33 years. Jolly Papa, Bere Bote, Aye Muba, Gowon Special, Tamuno Bo Iboro Ma, Sawale, Love Mu Adure, Oweibo Nua, Yellow Sisi, etc are hits till date. I'm at presently listen to his "Gowon Special" which he did with his Rivers Men Band.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Afrok(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
Those songs actually came out in the last decade, so how can they be songs of all time? Na WA oooo... Anyway sha, all the songs created waves of different forms during their time.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by buskie13(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
like seriously
Davido n Wizkid on that list

hell no...
wat happened to Tony Tetuilla's songs....
Style Plus' songs
Chinwe Ike's songs....

worst of it all Kcee's Benue...sorry---> Limpopo (wat the hell is it doing on de list )

Fücktards

1 Like

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by ojinku(m): 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2014
Does it mean that ''aluta agboho, atufo agidi''. Where are all these our old school dem like:
1. Shina Peter (Afro juju)
2. Xty Essien Igbokwe (Shunrere)
3. Onyeka Onwenu (One love keep us together)
4. Sir Warrior (Nwanne abu enyi)
5. .......(Future leader)
6. Uwa wu paw paw, e.t.c
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by EbolaParasite: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2014
starlingbawa: First of all what's the age bracket of MTV's target audience? The youths 'obviously'? Explains why you have those songs there.

No wonder I'm not surprised at their choice of the above subject.

What happened to the evergreen songs of yester years? I'm sure the older Nigerian minds won't even look at MTV's choice(s) a second time.

Pathetic choices concluded without adequate research on Nigerian music, if you'd ask me...

How old is MTV Africa? Let's start from there. If you were expecting to see "suffering and similing - baba fela", onyeka owenu, sunny ade, majek fashek, shina peters - (afro juju - if you had a birthday in Lagos back then and they didn't play this song, you neva celebrate birthday. ibo, hausa, yoruba, all join) etc you are on a long thing. MTV Africa is for the indomie generation.

We the "ballers" know the best Nigerian songs of all time and they are not on that list. Ballers = anyone who was alive when the military used to flog and punish anyone crossing Lagos highways without using pedestrian bridges.

1 Like

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by victorv12(m): 2:48pm On Oct 03, 2014
Since MTV entered Nigeria, majority of our youths were rendered useless. Especially, the level at which our girls promiscuity sky rocketed, it's mind boggling.

It's rare to watch any Nigeria music video without seeing half naked girls shaking their bum-bum, and some ghetto boyz claiming to be stupendously rich...All of them claiming to be mad.

Nigeria, rotten society!
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 03, 2014
orobs93: 2baba u be my baba all my life...

But I think...daddy showkey danfo drivers styplus should make dat list...instead of dose wack lyrics dere.

Who tell you say na daddy show key sing 'danfo driver'?
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by BoyCoyToy(m): 2:51pm On Oct 03, 2014
searay: Wetin concern me with songs where dey cause madness. #Team Gospel Music
Dat's it bro
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Jibsonified(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2014
First of ALL ! I disagree it been Greatest of all time, if not then some old school songs should be there
e.g Sunny Ade's Eshu biribiri,
Femi Kuti's I sorry sorry,
Fela's number of songs (Chai!),
Onyeka Onwenu's Iyogogo
Prince Nico Mbarga's Sweet Mother
Plantashun Boiz
one of the best of Shina Peters' song, etc[all worth sampling].
Then we can put a few from new school e.g
Tuface's African Queen,
Asa's Jailer & Fire on the Mountain,
Nice's Gongo Asoo, D'banj's Oliver Twist.
Conspicously missing are TY Bello's Greenland, Da Grin Pon Pon Pon... when I remeber them I will add them later.
Then seriously the likes of Davido, Wizkid shouldn't be there walahi!!
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by naptu2: 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2014
UjSizzle:
I don't even know those songs. How can they be All Time bests of Naija?

There must be a parameter for determining this. Maybe evergreen songs

You don't know Sweet Mother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mecNrIaWOA

You don't know Sawale (covered by Flavour as "Nwa Baby/Ashawo)? There are Ethiopian and Caribbean versions of this song. It's probably the most remixed Nigerian song ever. There's been a new version every decade since the 1950s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOXi3bJ7ug

You don't know "Hello Africa"? It got massive airplay in MTV in the early 1990s and won several awards.

Hello Africa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0F4VSzdrgw

You don't know "Baby Jowo"? It's also one of the most covered songs in Nigeria (the latest version is the Victor Olaiya and 2Face version 2013).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBY_giUcA9s

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by orobs93(m): 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2014
django1:

Who tell you say na daddy show key sing 'danfo driver'?

Even if I mistake common sense nor tell u say I mean mad melon and mountain black?
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by piroskey94(m): 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2014
what of african china's ajegunle?- "if i say oh, u say pee, another man say cee, omo na u sabi"
d list can't b complete without it na
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by daxon001(m): 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2014
cooltobex:

So, you are implying that except for African Queen, other songs on the list got 'worthless buzz'.
Please, define 'worthless buzz'. Music that lack substance, seriously? What do you mean when you say this?
People will just be forming serious-minded annoyingly. Because a song is meant for the clubs, means it lacks substance. Bros i hail o.
U've heard Asa's new album haven't u?of course it won't reign half as much dorobuchi,shoki,sekem and d likes are.this is wat
mtv base will look at later on and name them 'greatest songs of all time'.hope u're now getting me bomboy.undecided
but honestly comparing n analysing dem reveals dat all dese songs can't stand d test of time and dat dey lack depth and substance.it's just dat d Nigerian music audience just don't want 2 accept d fact.
Hope u'v learnt d shoki and sekem dance very well just so u'll showcase in d club,church etc. wink

1 Like

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by naptu2: 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2014
Sony Okosun - Mother And Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyibkH5T-50

1 Like

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by UjSizzle(f): 3:01pm On Oct 03, 2014
naptu2:

You don't know Sweet Mother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mecNrIaWOA

You don't know Sawale (covered by Flavour as "Nwa Baby/Ashawo)? There are Ethiopian and Caribbean versions of this song. It's probably the most remixed Nigerian song ever. There's been a new version every decade since the 1950s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOXi3bJ7ug

You don't know "Hello Africa"? It got massive airplay in MTV in the early 1990s and won several awards.

Hello Africa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0F4VSzdrgw

You don't know "Baby Jowo"? It's also one of the most covered songs in Nigeria (the latest version is the Victor Olaiya and 2Face version 2013).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBY_giUcA9s
I know the latest versions of the songs here, with the exception of Sweet Mother. But that still doesn't make them All Time bests. What parameters are your judgements based on?

I'll like to know what MTV Africa used too, because some of the songs they listed are trash.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Dottune(m): 3:01pm On Oct 03, 2014
Mancity26:
wht abt mr flavour-nwa baby?
It's not among the Top 5
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
shobam1410: 1. Olorioko by Infinity
2. Igwe by midmight crew
3. Arabaribiti by Chris Morgan
4. Testify by Elijah Oyelade
5. I know who I am by Sinach
and the rest

Na gospel songs you dey list ore.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by sucess001(m): 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
[size=32pt]This list is crap! How da hell is Olufunmi and Call my Name by Styl Plus not there?....Heck! Olufunmi shud be no 1![/size]
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Reference(m): 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
The mere fact that practically all those songs were released within the past decade says it just cannot be. Is there excellence in any human endeavour in any country involving any peoples that can be as limiting as this. I don't know who is responsible and what criteria was used but this is rather belittling of the music industry and the country as a whole. Nigerian music just did not start in 2002.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 03, 2014
orobs93:

Even if. mistake common sense nor tell u say I mean mad melon and mountain black?

So you know this on before. Ode
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 03, 2014
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2014
my top 5
1]Dbanj-suddenly
2)Dbanj-why me
3)Dbanj-oliver ttwist
4)2 face-ole
5)Wizkid-wiz party

1 Like

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 03, 2014
I thought they said Africa...how come they are all Nigerian songs I smell Ojoro shocked shocked shocked
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by XKZ(m): 3:08pm On Oct 03, 2014
Did they start counting from Year 2000?!
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by orobs93(m): 3:09pm On Oct 03, 2014
django1:

So you know this on before. Ode

Na u be ode grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I Was Pregnant 3 Times For Apostle Suleman - Halima Abubakar / Omashola Kola Oburoh And His Son, Milan Play Together (Photos) / Actor, Daniel Uwadiae Is Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.