Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,085 members, 7,811,043 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality (43437 Views)

Dana House Assembly Plant Sacks All Their Graduate Trainee / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / Old Thinking Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by clemz88(m): 3:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
daresma93:
Time to dump my certificate and start sellin buns
na gobe you dey o
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Chrisabig(m): 3:37pm On Oct 07, 2014
You are indeed a true son of a real man. Even we as a human start from being a babe. Put graduate asides and put some swag to any little thing you start up with and make life better than to sit down at home waiting for Gov to come for you help. Go to China and see your self, if they wait wait for there gov to do it for them, they will not be where they are today. Never will a chinese man or woman sit at home and wait for nothing. We as a nigeria have population and the best and biggest in Africa, why not make use of them from the little you have and that you have in your brain.justsomelittleswag.com
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by quaid(m): 3:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
If there is gonna be a change,it must start with a proper orientation of students on what education truly means.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by patrickmuf(m): 3:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
Odilafta:
Summary; Never despise the days of little beginnings..
Explore

*modified*
shocked
FTC=FIRST TO DISVIRGIN THIS THREAD grin
I NO BE GRADUATE O BUT I SHARP PASS SOME WEY JUST LOOK THIS TOPIC PASS AM tongue
23LIKES AND STILL COUNTING
3SHARES AND COUNTING

Removes top,removes bra,holds two oranges and starts jumping grin
The oranges must be weighty for you hold them before jumping... #CowbellOurMilk
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by tr3y(m): 3:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
Odilafta:

Picture or I don't believe it!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by KingsJohnson(m): 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
The controversial Nigerians

With numerous quotes, opinions and comments i must say dat i am really hapi wit dat write-up title: Nigerians and their Graduate Mentality cus datz is d truth and cant be changed. However, everibody is entitled 2 his/her own opinion, but the truth wil always be said. So i wil leave ur guys with the words of Robert Kiyosaki to ponder.

"Children spend years in antiquated educational system, studying subjects they will never use, preparing for a world that no longer exists".

The second one

"Because students leave school without financial skills, millions of educated people pursue their profession successfully, but later find themselves struggling financially. They work harder, but dont get ahead".

Nigerians, it is time to think twice for a word is a enough for the wise.

The Truth is Bitter Shaa.....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by daveP(m): 4:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
snowprince07:
True talk time to go learn how to prepare moimoi & kpoffkpoff grin
many will have 'faith' now and go and continue to add to roadside-dom(kiosking, mini-container shops, tarpaulin) and shanties we have at every junctions, corner, etc. Egetasebee! grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
daveP:
many will have 'faith' now and go and continue to add to roadside-dom(kiosking, mini-container shops, tarpaulin) and shanties we have at every junctions, corner, etc. Egetasebee! grin
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 07, 2014
InglishTeechar:

Companies making a well packaged fried plantain chips are making millions week in week out...even with these writeup some graduates still need brain surgery to figure it out.

Plus a rich drop out can employ first class holders and pay them fat salaries...except there's a change of mentatity in this country many will wallow in poverty.

Ask yourself would you go to work in nice suite and earn 40k a month or wear a polo shirt to work and earn that same amount a week.
OK angry
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by aspirebig: 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
It is better to be a graduate than not.

But if you choose to do conductor job after you grad,that one is personal.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by GboyegaD(m): 4:18pm On Oct 07, 2014
The Nigerian society doesn't encourage craft and hand works as such, one's best option is to explore education. Upon graduation, those with brilliant ideas are not encouraged as it is difficult to raise initial capital stock and worse still, the interest rates offered by our banks is extremely ridiculous thus, making white collar job the only option.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by jonuel1(m): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
Richardjemedafe:
WELCOME TO NIGERIA:
®Where sex is free and love is costly.
®Where loosing a phone is more painful than
loosing VIRGINITY...
®Where, if u don't cheat on your partner, u are
not sharp and smart.
®Where Bathrooms has become photo STUDIO...
®Where getting a GALAXY phone is greater than
achieving a DEGREE...
®Where yahoo boys have brighter future than
graduates...
®Where temples are turned into dating points,
®Where worshiping God in truth & spirit is
difficult.
®Where lies are turned into realities...
®Where ladies fear Pregnancy than HIV...
®Where pizza delivery is faster than emergency
response
®Where people fear thieves, robbers & Boko
Haram than God...
®Where people go to church with BB chargers
rather than Bible.
®Where guys are scared of getting married but
love to have sex...
®Where we have highest number of musician due
to unemployment.
®Where the higher your offense the lower ur
punishment and
vice versa...
®Where the number of churches & mosque are
more than the worshipers.. ®Where we say Up
NEPA more than we say Praise THE LORD...
®Where a school drop-out politician is Ten times
richer and more respected than a professor...
®Where unemployed youths pick up weapons to
fight in support of the politicians who deprive
them of employment & a good life...
®where someone who cannot speak English but
can say Chai, Chai deris God is given honorary
Doctorate degrees...
WHAT A COUNTRY!!..
I BOW. .

Add this
A country where her citizens never see anything good about her except the negatives; finger-pointing becoms the order of the day while they exonerate themselves from her troubles and woes but see others as the cause.

Open your eyes to see the positive rather than the negative.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by NeChErEnO1(m): 4:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
Dis must be an update by a non-graduate!!! grin

Dis must be an update by a non-graduate!!!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by kalufelix(m): 4:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
The generations that preceeded ours including most of our parents were extremely f;00lish and myopic..yeah thats what i said
imagine expecting all our sons and daughters to be in the corporate world by the next decade and then you wonder if the plumber is going to be an allien or mayb the hair stylist would be a robot...
Nigerians are always on the 'shallow' 'bandwagon' thing only few stop to think outside the box...
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Danhumprey: 4:58pm On Oct 07, 2014
Odilafta:
Explore

*modified*
shocked
I NO BE GRADUATE O BUT I SHARP PASS SOME WEY JUST LOOK THIS TOPIC PASS AM tongue
35LIKES AND STILL COUNTING
6SHARES AND COUNTING

See as Pm notifications dey disturb me cheesy
them no know wether I be mammywater
lipsrsealed
@bolded,You have gone mad!gringringrin;
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by cris26: 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op you are wicked!!! After suffering in school, plus the huge amount of fees that private universities charge. You now want someone to go and sell moi - moi. Your advise is bad op. Instead of you to fight for your right so that the government of the day can change. If mandela didn't fight for his right do you think south africa will be what it is today? Pls let's think before we post topics. Anybody that wants to sell moi- moi or be a hair dresser should not waste time and money going to the university, such person should start early in such trade just like the way my igbo millionaire brothers do. Then later the person can decide to enrol in evening or part time school after when the person must have made it big period. You can't expect a graduate to go back to square one. Op do you know what "psychology" is all about?
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
Danhumprey:
@bolded,You have gone mad!gringringrin;

Yea baby,I'm doing it for you grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by MNDY(m): 5:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
To me, this is a very serious issue! I actually forced my parents to put me into the university in contrast to their entrepreneurship inclinations for me! I am quite proficient in graphics, super fast & minimal-errors-oriented computer typing and I also wield a vast knowledge of Word editing features and commands all after acquiring ICT knowledge immediately after secondary school to have followed their entrepreneurship goals in the computer field or elsewhere like they opined! No pride meant - I am a formidable personality in those areas both around my neighbourhood and elsewhere! I've worked in different places where I've left marks! My typing speed earned me the nickname "Speed" at a certain place! I have printed 99 WPM Mavis Beacon typing score report as proof of that immense typing might which I wield!
But I was/am bent on schooling (for a white collar job's purpose of course). Although I regret sometimes for a basic N70,000 cost for my Diploma programme first before my currently running cost for my Degree programme too which they footed/are still footing all for some white collar job which is not a guaranteed thing afterall. I just watched a Nollywood classic "The Riches" (who says Nollywood is replete with whack and lousy movies) - Majid Michael unemployed and indirectly forced by Nkem Owoh into ritual wealth to be enjoyed for 5yrs only. He died on his last day on his sick-bed while being offered a won contract he had sought for long when he was poor and wretched.
I feel remorse for the financial exertions I am putting my parents through (no be say e dey too hard them).
Anyhow sha, that is life! Some parents spend thousands of naira in hospital to make a child stay alive but such child still eventually dies, etc!
The packaging and swag concepts as highlighted by the OP are good points! I may still get employed afterall!
Schooling gives that white collar job provision alternative to self-employment which like the OP said, can be spiced up with your educated head's blend in it, setting it apart from the usual!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by assalaamat(m): 5:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
KingsJohnson:
Nigerians and Their Graduate Mentality

The title of this write-up might sound absurd, but it remains the fact. I have discovered that most
Nigerian graduates (even the ones that graduated with a 'pass') rates themselves so high and depends so much on white collar job and when you try to introduce them to little business or jobs, they wouldn't hesitate to
remind you that they are
graduates... If you are a graduate and so what?
They don't think of any thing apart from working in a big company with fine office and a company car lol. I think people
should stop this mentality of believing that going to the university is to gain employment because its really not it. Going to
the university should be to broaden your thinking faculty, enhancing your person/personality, equipping your mind set and acquiring leadership and entrepreneur skills.
Who says a graduate can't be a shoe maker, tailor, vendor, small scale business man/woman,
caterer,etc? A graduate can do all these because the purpose for your education is to help you add swag to whatever
you want to do so as to
differentiate your style and that of an illiterate.

A graduate can be selling
"moimoi", yes you read it right "moimoi"... Just add a little swag to it and you will see bankers, doctors,
engineers, politicians, etc rushing to eat your moimoi... Everything in life is all about packaging, how you package yourself, how you package your business, your relationship, relationplane, relationboat, relationkeke, even relationbarrow, u name it cus all hands are not equal!

White collar job is not meant for everybody, so the earlier you get that into your head, the better
and faster you get yourself self employed and start making it for real and big. Your going to the university is
also to make you an employer of labour. There are lot of people that made it without seeing the four walls of the university, so you that's a graduate should do very much better than them.
The truth is, I don't believe that there is no job, the only problem is that people are sometimes too selective because they see themselves as graduate and can't see themselves collecting peanut as salary. But the truth is, that small job can be what will expose you to the big job you dream of.
Instead of sitting at home, why not just manage it. You sit at home and complain of
how the govt has not reduced unemployment and your mates are busy establishing themselves
in one way or the other.
A graduate can be a hair stylist, just add swag to it and you are good to go.
Some will say they want to start up business, but they are looking for millions to start it up as a
'graduate wey dem be naa' lol. But you can actually start up a small business and grow from
there... Most billionaires started small.
You are a graduate and you have been jobless for years, please take that your certificate and
hide in your box, ask the illiterate millionnaire how he made it and start up something. Stop waiting for the govt, the Nigerian govt that I know will
not change unless God sends a Messiah and I know the Messiah
has come and gone since 2000 years ago. It will not take you time to learn tailoring, baking, catering, trade, Machenic,etc... Imagine all the years you have wasted looking
for a job, you would have started counting at least in thousands by now if you decided to get
yourself self made. Even as you are learning that trade or handwork, you can as well be looking for a job.

So my fellow Nigerians, undergraduates, graduates and postgraduates is time to get things done, become financial independent and goodbye to our greedy and selfish politicians.
well said bro.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by tjones007: 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
My opinion: Discovering your passion and skills that makes you happy is what matters. Then developing your new found passion. Even experts says to be proficient in a skill it takes years.

For example you cited a graduate to sell moi-moi, why? To get money build a business captal. Ooh yeah the said graduate could be the next mcdonald delvering moi moi at our doorstep.

But remember starting a business or developing a skill takes time, energy, thinking and idea on how to attract people.

Learning and developing your skill is what matters. It maybe acquiring a degree in one's beloved course related to a skill he/she loves.

Most sucessful people succeeded doing what they love. In terms of adversity loves stands. It keeps you going.

Ps. Nice post though. Remember my opinion
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Appswheel(m): 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/project-management-training-2-1024x758.jpg[/img]

A PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE WILL INCREASE YOUR NETWORTH

To sit for Project Management Professional Certification exam, you must provide an evidence of a minimum of 35 contact hours of project management training?

10% Discount for first 10 people to register non-Corp members.
40% Discount for NYSC Members..

SCHEDULE
Lagos: 25th, 26th of October & 1st, 2nd of November, 2014. (4-Days)
Abuja: 22nd, 23rd, 29th and 30th of November, 2014. (4-Days)
Port-harcourt: 6th, 7th, 13th & 14th of December, 2014. (4-Days)

Inquiry: 08084444759

REGISTER

[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/PROJECT-MANAGEMENT-AND-CAPM-TRAINING-IN-LAGOS-NIGERIA.png[/img]

[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CAPM-TRAINING-IN-LAGOS-NIGERIA.png[/img]
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Lawcurrent(m): 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
Normal, abi waiting i go talk.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by xcoded(m): 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
truel talk ooooo. .nice one
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by GooseBaba: 5:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
Jayuba:
Tell us your esperience on how you started. As in, did u sell akara and akamu? Or did you sell firewood before you made it? ....You dey talk like say e easy to dey sch for 4-5yrs and after that you begin sell akara for you to cum and buy.... The thunder wey go fire you dey do press up. This talk no make sense.

You no try at all.... Smh

Just because the Op used akara and things as examples does not mean you have to take it literally. You can start small in your respective background..

You certificate guarantees you nothing..! It's what you make of the acquired knowledge that counts..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
kaywiluv:

Better still, use ​Ɣ☺ΰr certificate to wrap buns for ​Ɣ☺ΰr costomer.
Haa u wicked oo. My hardwork of 4 year as packaging for buns
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by gatiano(m): 5:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
i don't agree with the last point, my grandmama in the village is far more smarter than some of the most articulate people i've met. madam patience jonathan is a smart and clever woman.

Richardjemedafe:
WELCOME TO NIGERIA:
®Where sex is free and love is costly.
®Where loosing a phone is more painful than
loosing VIRGINITY...
®Where, if u don't cheat on your partner, u are
not sharp and smart.
®Where Bathrooms has become photo STUDIO...
®Where getting a GALAXY phone is greater than
achieving a DEGREE...
®Where yahoo boys have brighter future than
graduates...
®Where temples are turned into dating points,
®Where worshiping God in truth & spirit is
difficult.
®Where lies are turned into realities...
®Where ladies fear Pregnancy than HIV...
®Where pizza delivery is faster than emergency
response
®Where people fear thieves, robbers & Boko
Haram than God...
®Where people go to church with BB chargers
rather than Bible.
®Where guys are scared of getting married but
love to have sex...
®Where we have highest number of musician due
to unemployment.
®Where the higher your offense the lower ur
punishment and
vice versa...
®Where the number of churches & mosque are
more than the worshipers.. ®Where we say Up
NEPA more than we say Praise THE LORD...
®Where a school drop-out politician is Ten times
richer and more respected than a professor...
®Where unemployed youths pick up weapons to
fight in support of the politicians who deprive
them of employment & a good life...
®where someone who cannot speak English but
can say Chai, Chai deris God is given honorary
Doctorate degrees...
WHAT A COUNTRY!!..
I BOW. .
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Elui2(m): 6:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
Odilafta:
Explore

*modified*
shocked
35LIKES AND STILL COUNTING
6SHARES AND COUNTING

See as Pm notifications dey disturb me cheesy
them no know wether I be mammywater lipsrsealed
u are very funny.funny illiterate
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by vivalavida(m): 6:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
ola512:

1st of all d main reason of getting a job is to practice wat u studied at d university not abt money,DAT y dey call u graduate trainee n dey pay u change.if u av a dream u won't work for money. Cos experience bring money If u knw wat u doing. Dere is no point for a carpenter apprentice to involve in tailor.my dear if not for d bad Nigerian system. Dere is not in like sellin moi moi cos u want to make money. D reason of being a professional is to actualize ur dream. Am a civil Engr n I am practising my profession. For y'all DAT read micro biology n u working in a bank. I advice u to get capital n equip a lab were u can enjoy ur practise. Tank u

This Nigga just had to call-out my course of study.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Revolva(m): 6:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
True article...tell them I ave many of them as friend that can't even sign up comon email account...these are the leaders of tommorrow!!!! Shame..
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by joseph1832(m): 6:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
Well you have a point OP. You should know not everybody can be an entrepreneur, not everybody will take solace in the fact that they are "moi moi or akara sellers".

We live in a country where money revolves round everything, how much you earn determines the type of respect people give you.

To me a graduate who graduated with at least a 2.2 has nothing whatsoever selling moi moi and akara. Some people might look at that graduate and say he or she is lazy.

Even teachers are not respected in Nigeria talkless of moi moi or akara sellers.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 07, 2014
"Self employment" remains the best. This has been the advice given to unemployed graduates each time there's complain of unemployment.
Where I'm not satisfied with such advice is when it is directed to graduates from low economic
background alone.
Those federal jobs should not be an exclusive
preserve of graduates from the haves alone.
What's good for geese is also good for gander.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ahmed Abdulrahman Helps His Sick Cleaner Who Failed To Show Up At Work / I Work With A Dead Man's Certificate: I Need Help..please HELP A Nlder / Mohammed Babandede Resumes Duty After Recovery From Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.