Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality (43434 Views)

Dana House Assembly Plant Sacks All Their Graduate Trainee / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / Old Thinking Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by God2man(m): 6:42pm On Oct 07, 2014
Richardjemedafe:
WELCOME TO NIGERIA:
®Where sex is free and love is costly.
®Where loosing a phone is more painful than
loosing VIRGINITY...
®Where, if u don't cheat on your partner, u are
not sharp and smart.
®Where Bathrooms has become photo STUDIO...
®Where getting a GALAXY phone is greater than
achieving a DEGREE...
®Where yahoo boys have brighter future than
graduates...
®Where temples are turned into dating points,
®Where worshiping God in truth & spirit is
difficult.
®Where lies are turned into realities...
®Where ladies fear Pregnancy than HIV...
®Where pizza delivery is faster than emergency
response
®Where people fear thieves, robbers & Boko
Haram than God...
®Where people go to church with BB chargers
rather than Bible.
®Where guys are scared of getting married but
love to have sex...
®Where we have highest number of musician due
to unemployment.
®Where the higher your offense the lower ur
punishment and
vice versa...
®Where the number of churches & mosque are
more than the worshipers.. ®Where we say Up
NEPA more than we say Praise THE LORD...
®Where a school drop-out politician is Ten times
richer and more respected than a professor...
®Where unemployed youths pick up weapons to
fight in support of the politicians who deprive
them of employment & a good life...
®where someone who cannot speak English but
can say Chai, Chai deris God is given honorary
Doctorate degrees...
WHAT A COUNTRY!!..
I BOW. .

For real.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Montaque(m): 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2014
True talk. Graduates are jobless anD poor because of shAme. Please,find something to do,no mAtter how smAll.its better than being idle. Join a friend in his business,join ur parents,learn a handwork or skill,dont slumber in ur dads house,change location if u r shy,but keep ur dream alive. The liitle u earn now is better than nothing,they prepare u for the big game,I joined dads business After school,he settled his two boys to create spAce and I still hope to go higher.my elder bros did sAme during his time,and he is better now. Dad is a tailor if u care to know,but its better than being idle. EducAtion can corrupt u if u let it, this article is the best advice that today's graduate need.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by kaywiluv(f): 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2014
daresma93:

Haa u wicked oo. My hardwork of 4 year as packaging for buns

Bro, is jst a suggestion oo, no go use my name pray.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by san316(m): 6:46pm On Oct 07, 2014
The truth is that, if we put in the e4rts we use in working for others(the insults we endure inclusive) into our pvt businesses, we'll surely excel. But unfortunately, at the end of the month when we get paid our salaries, it feels we were paid for doing nothing albeit the stress we went through. Thus, working for others seemed easier.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
I can't imagine myself not making good use of my degree after 5yrs of high Bp, stress and sufferness in the name of getting a degree. Its somehow naw. The job must surface by fire by force IJN, it has no choice.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Danhumprey: 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
Odilafta:

Yea baby,I'm doing it for you grin grin
Oh! I see. But I don't need you to be mad. I need you to be sane.grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by san316(m): 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
Montaque:
True talk. Graduates are jobless anD poor because of shAme. Please,find something to do,no mAtter how smAll.its better than being idle. Join a friend in his business,join ur parents,learn a handwork or skill,dont slumber in ur dads house,change location if u r shy,but keep ur dream alive. The liitle u earn now is better than nothing,they prepare u for the big game,I joined dads business After school,he settled his two boys to create spAce and I still hope to go higher.my elder bros did sAme during his time,and he is better now. Dad is a tailor if u care to know,but its better than being idle. EducAtion can corrupt u if u let it, this article is the best advice that today's graduate need.
Ooh, you are so EVIL. You made two boys lose their jobs for your selfish reason. God will judge you. And come to think of it, they are not graduates o. What do you want them to be doing?
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
kaywiluv:

Bro, is jst a suggestion oo, no go use my name pray.

I hav already anybody praying for my cerficate to be uselss I bind them in saango name

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 07, 2014
Danhumprey:
Oh! I see. But I don't need you to be mad. I need you to be sane.grin
I'm sane baby,I'm grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Danhumprey: 6:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
Odilafta:

I'm sane baby,I'm grin grin
Ofcourse,you are.grin

Are you available this night? We gotta talk. Let's say by 9pm or 10pm. What do you think?smiley
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
Danhumprey:
Ofcourse,you are.grin

Are you available this night? We gotta talk. Let's say by 9pm or 10pm. What do you think?smiley
what about now? Please..my battery is going flat,now would be okay.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by ghostofsparta(m): 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
Like I said...[size=18pt]a topic quite similar to this one is been discussed[/size] here

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Jayuba(m): 7:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
GooseBaba:

You no try at all.... Smh

Just because the Op used akara and things as examples does not mean you have to take it literally. You can start small in your respective background..

You certificate guarantees you nothing..! It's what you make of the acquired knowledge that counts..
LOL. You are correct.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by vivalavida(m): 7:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
abbey621:
This write up is not only ridiculous but without merit. Why would someone who went through the struggles of sacrificing 4 or more years of his or life to gain education and skills meant for an office environment or a business setting suddenly surrender to starting a business such as selling items in a marketplace. In addition, did you ever bothered to consider that such a venture requires capital?

More often than not, I've seen many people with good intentions on nairaland offering advice but failing to realize that people are different and what works for Joe might not work for Janet. For example, why bother to get a university degree, why not use that money and go into business from the get go, this would save time, money and stress. I don't know about you but university for me was no walk in the park, the stress was enormous, the lecturers were sadists and the environment was chaotic. All in all I managed to graduate with a 2-1 and then subjected to one year of service, after all that if you were the first person I saw and you offered this type of advice, it would take an entire army for me not to punch a hole on your face!

@Op- It's good for graduates to do small side business while waiting for the right opportunity but to completely abandon their dreams that is a huge fallacy!

I subscribe to this
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by theanonymous: 7:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by sofnana(m): 7:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
Are you a graduate still searching for job
Try this link and give testimony weeks to come
http:///q8wkvy4
If you are not there how will you know what's up
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Niftyrules(m): 7:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
lawrenceunaa:
op u try but how u go expect first class degree holder to join pass holders in moi moi business l grin l

education doesn't only broaden our knowledge but brings us to opportunities

white collar jobs inclusive
Yeah you're right nairalander, but the fact is that, what will be the best option when a first class degree holder no get job.

The only problem I see in this generation of youth is our inability to wait, just a little patience we don't have. Even on our pc we look for shortcuts, likewise on the road and even while eating our Agege bread. Or let me ask, how many of you guys loose the nyloleum before breaking the bread from the top?
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Niftyrules(m): 7:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
lawrenceunaa:
op u try but how u go expect first class degree holder to join pass holders in moi moi business l grin l

Yeah you're right nairalander, but the fact is that, what will be the best option when a first class degree holder no get job.

The only problem I see in this generation of youth is our inability to wait, just a little patience we don't have. Even on our pc we look for shortcuts, likewise on the road and even while eating our Agege bread. Or let me ask, how many of you guys carefully loose the nyloleum before breaking the bread from the top?
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
This is my Number 9 best post i ever see on nairaland.How to make first class in the university remains my number one best post i ever see on nairaland because is what have been helpin me in gattering good grade in unizik. Still counting. I love nairaland
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by EbiJUNIRO(m): 8:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
That feeling (ama graduate) is jst too much jare!!!

kini big deal
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by irohadis: 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2014
As an employer, my opinion is that many graduates think their certificate is a license to getting paid well. Very very few graduates come to me with any tangible skill that can add value to a company. For example, I have never interviewed any graduate of computer science who can write a functional line of code from the training in school. Those who can learnt on their own. Most graduates understand they need to be trained but the majority want to get paid well to get that training. I interviewed a recent graduate from a part-time degree program. I thought there was some potential that could be developed. I offered a 3 months internship that pays 25K a month, after which a starting position of 64K could be had. Candidate wanted at least 100K because of certificate in customer service. This is a common mentality. I don't see that person exploring the prospects of starting small and exploring humble prospects of self employment - until reality sets in. This is the point the OP is making.

Without a skill, your certificate is worth NGN 0.00. Not knowing this fact is more reason your certificate is worth NGN 0.00. Starting a business and turning moi-moi into a profit making enterprise requires a lot of creativity, critical thinking and determination. This is much too complex a task for the average graduate. The majority are not qualified and will not succeed at it. It is easier to humble yourselves, beg for an internship without pay in your area of interest and learn a skill. Your certificates are just papers.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
May the Good Lord Bless U big tym. I was among some two hundred folks trained by fed min. Of Agric and rural delpt. In poultry n livestock production last yr. They didnt empower us as promised, so many folks startd using it as excuss not to start wat we learnt. I plunged evrytin i saved during my servic yr abt 150k into quail egg production. To d Glory of God, i realized wel over half a million in less than yr. I'm currently an intern with sure P.
KingsJohnson:
Nigerians and Their Graduate Mentality

The title of this write-up might sound absurd, but it remains the fact. I have discovered that most
Nigerian graduates (even the ones that graduated with a 'pass') rates themselves so high and depends so much on white collar job and when you try to introduce them to little business or jobs, they wouldn't hesitate to
remind you that they are
graduates... If you are a graduate and so what?
They don't think of any thing apart from working in a big company with fine office and a company car lol. I think people
should stop this mentality of believing that going to the university is to gain employment because its really not it. Going to
the university should be to broaden your thinking faculty, enhancing your person/personality, equipping your mind set and acquiring leadership and entrepreneur skills.
Who says a graduate can't be a shoe maker, tailor, vendor, small scale business man/woman,
caterer,etc? A graduate can do all these because the purpose for your education is to help you add swag to whatever
you want to do so as to
differentiate your style and that of an illiterate.

A graduate can be selling
"moimoi", yes you read it right "moimoi"... Just add a little swag to it and you will see bankers, doctors,
engineers, politicians, etc rushing to eat your moimoi... Everything in life is all about packaging, how you package yourself, how you package your business, your relationship, relationplane, relationboat, relationkeke, even relationbarrow, u name it cus all hands are not equal!

White collar job is not meant for everybody, so the earlier you get that into your head, the better
and faster you get yourself self employed and start making it for real and big. Your going to the university is
also to make you an employer of labour. There are lot of people that made it without seeing the four walls of the university, so you that's a graduate should do very much better than them.
The truth is, I don't believe that there is no job, the only problem is that people are sometimes too selective because they see themselves as graduate and can't see themselves collecting peanut as salary. But the truth is, that small job can be what will expose you to the big job you dream of.
Instead of sitting at home, why not just manage it. You sit at home and complain of
how the govt has not reduced unemployment and your mates are busy establishing themselves
in one way or the other.
A graduate can be a hair stylist, just add swag to it and you are good to go.
Some will say they want to start up business, but they are looking for millions to start it up as a
'graduate wey dem be naa' lol. But you can actually start up a small business and grow from
there... Most billionaires started small.
You are a graduate and you have been jobless for years, please take that your certificate and
hide in your box, ask the illiterate millionnaire how he made it and start up something. Stop waiting for the govt, the Nigerian govt that I know will
not change unless God sends a Messiah and I know the Messiah
has come and gone since 2000 years ago. It will not take you time to learn tailoring, baking, catering, trade, Machenic,etc... Imagine all the years you have wasted looking
for a job, you would have started counting at least in thousands by now if you decided to get
yourself self made. Even as you are learning that trade or handwork, you can as well be looking for a job.

So my fellow Nigerians, undergraduates, graduates and postgraduates is time to get things done, become financial independent and goodbye to our greedy and selfish politicians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
irohadis:
As an employer, my opinion is that many graduates think their certificate is a license to getting paid well. Very very few graduates come to me with any tangible skill that can add value to a company. For example, I have never interviewed any graduate of computer science who can write a functional line of code from the training in school. Those who can learnt on their own. Most graduates understand they need to be trained but the majority want to get paid well to get that training. I interviewed a recent graduate from a part-time degree program. I thought there was some potential that could be developed. I offered a 3 months internship that pays 25K a month, after which a starting position of 64K could be had. Candidate wanted at least 100K because of certificate in customer service. This is a common mentality. I don't see that person exploring the prospects of starting small and exploring humble prospects of self employment - until reality sets in. This is the point the OP is making.

Without a skill, your certificate is worth NGN 0.00. Not knowing this fact is more reason your certificate is worth NGN 0.00. Starting a business and turning moi-moi into a profit making enterprise requires a lot of creativity, critical thinking and determination. This is much too complex a task for the average graduate. The majority are not qualified and will not succeed at it. It is easier to humble yourselves, beg for an internship without pay in your area of interest and learn a skill. Your certificates are just papers.
Please Sir, can you offer me a chance for internship in your office . I really need some Infotech experience.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Respectnelson(m): 8:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
justi4jesu:
Whether Pass or Third class, 4years in School no be beans grin
na liar ok go carry pass give ur paarents say to be in skul no be beans
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by ProfGday(m): 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
Viewing this topic: cramjones, mylesJ, Phranckanny(m), needful, sholaypompon, kingpin007, doyin1985(m), bocajay(m), ademola1333(m), Ucheosefoh(m), cocoduck, irohadis, seyigiggle, AgentXxx, daryoor(m), samuel25(m), hawdi(m), symbianDON(m), Histrings08(m), Panayo, yahyus(m), stanconnect(m), buyaka(m), hollermeelaycon(m), Elthugnificent(m), pboiskinpy(m), oln, Chijosky(m), kemtol, Winneygirl(f), Doluseun(m), biopat(m), lowgeorge(m), elijames(m), gistmelove(m), eezor(m), Richiy(f), ayoku777(m), dammytosh, sigolisis, lanrayco, sutsirave(m), Petra23(f), barackodam(m), jiorhemen(m), mzjaney(f), Bede2u(m), heywhytech1, cecildeeva, Hector1759, David4best, nsikakudom, GuyFawkes and 50 guest(s)
if all of this ppu are using their time productively instead of wasting their time on ds piece Nigeria is in deep shit.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Respectnelson(m): 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
For us to change the world,we must change our mentality
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by 9jatatafo(m): 8:37pm On Oct 07, 2014
If any of you have business idea, you can share in this way those interested can invest in it. Thus the rate of unemployment will be reduced.
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
luvola:
I am a graduate and still looking for job but since the job has not materialized , I resort to selling of footwears (designers and hand made) .. oya make una order now o.....

Order quality footwears from.olak
store ##.Biz
line / whatapp : 07089328564 *y*
pin 746F8F4C kindly rbc

http://nairacity..nl/2014/09/place-your-order-for-your-various.html?m=1
guy just sibmit short info abt ur biz on www.ireviewplace.com and i go publish am free for you
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by terrymason(m): 8:54pm On Oct 07, 2014
lawrenceunaa:

see their is no black collar job our there talkless of white collar job! Keeping waiting for the glorious opportunity and don't try on how to make an opportunity!
Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by hawdi(m): 8:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
It's just annoying when people read through a post without trying as hard as possible to get the point. Many attended schools truly but they ain't even applying one bit of it to life.

What the op meant was not a matter of you totally abandoning your hard-earned certificate, but divert the knowledge you gained before earning this certificate into something worthwhile. You can't because you finished school with whatever grade but couldn't get a job and then sit for months or years broke without doing any other thing. If you hunt for job for a while and you ain't seeming to make a headway, bro, find something else doing instead of staying broke and remaining a liability to your family.

I'm a fresh graduate of Physiology, LAUTECH, had my 6months IT in 2012, during the last trimester of the training, I learnt tailoring before returning back to school, I resumed school with a sewing machine and started making a few hundreds to thousands in addition to the pocket money they sent at home. Did this all through my finals and I never regretted it.

Since I finished school, I've been sewing and training more alongside, making few few cash for my daily upkeep; my mother is free and not bothered about me like she used to be, she believes I can take care of myself now, I ain't longer a liability.

I have a lot of friends who envy me just because since we finished from school in May, they've had nothing doing and been broke, to renew their BIS subscription na gbege, but me, that has never been a problem.

Awaiting service for November, while I'm on service, I'm planning on making my business bigger, and I've been saving towards that...if after this youth service, I don't get a good job on time, do you think i'll mind?! No, I won't, 'cause I have a source of income I can still sustain myself with for long.

In summary, the op's point was just that, get something doing to while you have nothing (white collar job) doing, and don't stay impoverished.

Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Graduate Mentality by kaywiluv(f): 8:58pm On Oct 07, 2014
daresma93:

I hav already anybody praying for my cerficate to be uselss I bind them in saango name

Lolz, saango no fit work for where ℓ̊ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ahmed Abdulrahman Helps His Sick Cleaner Who Failed To Show Up At Work / I Work With A Dead Man's Certificate: I Need Help..please HELP A Nlder / Mohammed Babandede Resumes Duty After Recovery From Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.