Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce (726 Views)

Her Failed Lavish Wedding Left Me Broke.. / This Lady Did All These To Her Man And Still Got A Ring! (photo) / 85-year-old Couple To Remarry After 50 Years of Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by chumakk: 3:35pm On Oct 08, 2014
A lavish wedding ceremony plus an expensive engagement ring is a recipe for divorce, according to a survey of 3,000 adults by Emory University economics professors.

The researchers believe the correlation comes from the increase in financial burden and stress that couples face regarding wedding debts, reports Daily Mail.

To minimize divorce risk, spend no less than $500 to $1,000 for a ring—but no more than $2,000 to $4,000, the study suggests. Couples were 1.3 times more likely to divorce if they spent any more than that threshold. Those who spent less than $1,000 also faced higher divorce risk.

Keep wedding costs below $20,000; couples who spent over this amount were 3.5 times more likely to divorce.

A wedding in the U.S. averages around $30,000, according to The Knot.

"Our findings provide little evidence to support the validity of the wedding industry's general message that connects expensive weddings with positive marital outcomes," the professors wrote in the study.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102066943#.

-----

I always knew these. How can a marriage be a happy one when the woman is like another property to the man.
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 08, 2014
In that case, all should opt for court marriage. But wait! Did you just say financial burden? Assuming a Nigerian senator wishes to wed, would you suggest he spends less than $20,000?
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by major466(m): 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2014
True. To much spending on wedding activities makes room for more tension in marriages.

1 Like

Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by chumakk: 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2014
ifynairaland:
In that case, all should opt for court marriage. But wait! Did you just say financial burden? Assuming a Nigerian senator wishes to wed, would you suggest he spends less than $20,000?
of course not. it is a warming not to over spend like borrowing money for a wedding
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by Crocz(m): 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2014
By God!...my wedding is gonna ring of merriment to heaven!!

Heard most elaborate wedding don't last long thou undecided...cos some dudes marriage crashed doesn't mean mine will, I don't believe in those sort of sh*t
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by kay29000(m): 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
This is very very true. I have personally witnessed 5 weddings (I was the bestman at one) in the last 3 years that were larvish and ended within a year. True story. And my two friends that did just court wedding and small traditional wedding are still living happy since 2011.
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by Afrok(m): 9:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
YES! YES! YES! Time for my aboki brothers selling rings to make more sales cheesy.
I agree with the researchers. The more expensive the wedding, the more expensive the divorce cry
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2014
chumakk:
of course not. it is a warming not to over spend like borrowing money for a wedding
Noted!
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
chumakk:
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
chumakk:
NOTED!
Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by passionate88: 11:21pm On Oct 10, 2014
True that... And it also puts the woman under pressure... She will stomach anything so that she won't be the laughing stock to her friends... Her friends will be like "After all the money wey dm spend for wedding and the mouth she make for us her husband still pursue her for house"..

1 Like

Re: A Lavish Wedding And Ring May Increase Chances Of Divorce by bknight: 12:06am On Oct 11, 2014
Fundamentally, there's a problem with the orientation of these people who put more emphasis on the details of a one-day wedding than on details of lifelong marriage.

Wedding is not equal to marriage. Hide your self.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland,kindly Celebrate With Me Its My Wedding Anniversary. / Do You Think On Line Dating Is Safe? / How Long Can You Tolerate A Lying Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.