Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? (9894 Views)

Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak / Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

Within the premises of nairaland, those up there qualify as 'other men'.
grin
The options are still open.

Not in my world. In my world these men are terrific. wink smiley
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 10:09pm On Oct 13, 2014
The same reasons why many women can't openly criticize wearing the hair of women from other countries in the name of fashion (India, Brazil, China, and most recently Goat hair, etc.)

These are the same women who want to us to believe they don't suffer from inferiority complex... gringrin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 13, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:
Same reason women cannot call out a woman who marries a man 20/30/40 years older as a gold digger.

Some of them r secretly envious...
How are you so sure gold-digging is the only reason the above can happen?
I know poor men whose wives are waaaaayyyyyy younger than them
You cannot know everyone's story

Gold diggers date their mates too

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

Terrific? as in?

Terrific monsters

Terrific child abusers

Terrific rapist
etc
grin

terrific

1 (informal) excellent; wonderful
I feel absolutely terrific today!
She's doing a terrific job.
You look terrific in that dress.
He was really terrific when I was in trouble.
That's terrific news!
(ironic) So nobody's coming. Terrific!

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/search/english/direct/?q=terrific

You're welcome! cheesy
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
alutacontinua:

How are you so sure gold-digging is the only reason the above can happen?
I know poor men whose wives are waaaaayyyyyy younger than them
You cannot know everyone's story

Gold diggers date their mates too

Interesting....good for u....so u have a young woman willingly marry a not so rich man who is even older and it was because of love??

Puhlezze.....

Well..whatever works for d people....

Gold diggers marrying their mate is also as rare as the blue moon....they r d exception

Those mates are not yet as rich...

Why date down when there are older richer men who want u...
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 10:18pm On Oct 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You haven't answered my question. undecided
No they don't, are you satisfied?
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by MizMyColi(f): 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2014
Okay, so I was here to like Carefree's GIF image - Epic! cheesy

*walks out*

undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by crackhaus: 10:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
bukatyne:

No more lines?

To think I was enjoying them grin
I'm thinking shiit up off the top of my head, this ain't easy...

Please help me out grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Interesting....good for u....so u have a young woman willingly marry a not so rich man who is even older and it was because of love??

Puhlezze.....

Well..whatever works for d people....

Gold diggers marrying their mate is also as rare as the blue moon....they r d exception

Those mates are not yet as rich...

Why date down when there are older richer men who want u...

I'm just saying speaking up against gold-digging, maybe! but speaking up against marrying older men seems a lil off. You cannot just automatically assume any woman marrying an older man is doing it for money. That assumption is too general!
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
alutacontinua:

I'm just saying speaking up against gold-digging, maybe! but speaking up against marrying older men seems a lil off. You cannot just automatically assume any woman marrying an older man is doing it for money. That assumption is too general!

Yet the assumption of the op that guys don't say anything against domestic violence because they indulge in it is not general?

undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
MizMyColi:
Okay, so I was here to like Carefree's GIF image - Epic! cheesy

*walks out*

undecided

Interesting.......
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Yet the assumption of the op that guys don't say anything against domestic violence because they indulge in it is not general?

undecided

To say the truth, I didn't even read the op's post, I never do!
It's always too long for my lazy brain, I just read the comments!

But her topic said 'more men speak', init?
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
I think the problem lies with women folk.

And it should be: when are women going to stop provoking/instigating domestic violence?

Then, we also have to show the same level of concerns for men who are/have-been victims of domestic violence, the same way we have been doing about women.

Once we start doing that - a lot of things are going to change.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
alutacontinua:

To say the truth, I didn't even read the op's post, I never do!
It's always too long for my lazy brain, I just read the comments!

But her topic said 'speak more', init?

It said speak up
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

It said speak up

I modified my comment.

And I no even get strength to argue this evening, forget that I said anything undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Bwhahahahahahhahahaha grin grin grin grin grin Stop!

You're mean. grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

It is a matter of perspective.
You choose to look at it as a noun.
I choose to see it as an adjective and consequently assume that sentence is incomplete.

On nairaland men can't just be afforded the costly compliment - 'terrific' unless there is a really demeaning noun following closely behind or they are lucky to be family members. At least that's almost a tradition here.
grin

It's the second time you try yourself in linguistics and it is the second time you make a mistake.
You have taught me about the sound barrier and you have given me free lessons in philosophy and I have taught you about the various meanings of the word "chat" and now I will teach you about the word terrific. wink

Terrific is always an adjective. And an adjective does not have to be followed by a noun. wink

And I am not a traditionalist. wink
I appreciate smart, good-hearted, strong, hard-working men.
And the handsome ones too. cheesy
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2014
BananaBender:

Bwhahahahahahhahahaha grin grin grin grin grin Stop!

You're mean. grin grin grin grin grin

You don't really want me to stop, do you? tongue

And even if I wanted, I couldn't. Too late.
My patience has reached its limits.
Next time, they will know better.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2014
alutacontinua:

I modified my comment.

And I no even get strength to argue this evening, forget that I said anything undecided

Enjoy.

There are countless men who are assaulted by their spouses daily...no voice for them

Some boys are rĂ£ped by their minders/teachers etc..no voice for them

They r told to suck it up
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by MizMyColi(f): 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

very unnecessary. undecided

Which of them;

Liking or Walking?
angry

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by MizMyColi(f): 10:39pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Interesting.......

cool
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:40pm On Oct 13, 2014
MizMyColi:

cool

Really interesting....

I guess your own angle will come out later
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 13, 2014
SirShymex:
I think the problem lies with women folk.

And it should be: when are women going to stop provoking/instigating domestic violence?

Then, we also have to show the same level of concerns for men who are/have-been victims of domestic violence, the same way we have been doing about women.

Once we start doing that - a lot of things are going to change.

How do women provoke domestic violence? Do men also provoke domestic violence?

Statistics:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/domestic_violence/resources/statistics.html

Just so you understand why it appears that women are getting more 'concern' than men.

You don't have to state the fact that the article does not account for all male victims in the US since it is known that some men shy away from reporting domestic abuse. The government, private/public organization can only act on the resources available to them anyway.

Back to why I'm quoted you.....
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 13, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 13, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by MizMyColi(f): 10:46pm On Oct 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Really interesting....

I guess your own angle will come out later

You might have noticed I avoid gender related talks.

Not my ministry.

Won't open one anytime soon either grin
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Islie: 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
this post was dead on arrival men
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
MizMyColi:

You might have noticed I avoid gender related talks.

Not my ministry.

Won't open one anytime soon either grin

I have not noticed anything ...
U came in ...hailed a sista...and walked on by....yay
undecided

Anyhow...
Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 13, 2014
Nonso23:

Thank you. It's been duly noted. smiley
Like i said before
I still choose to believe that there is a really demeaning noun following that word.
Good thing i said '...almost tradition'
the rest of the non-traditional portion should appeal to you, i think. wink

I have clarified what I meant by this word so you don't need to believe anymore.
And for everyone who has not read it, they can read and write it down now.

There are PLENTY OF WONDERFUL MEN in and outside my family. wink

Nairaland knows no smart, hardworking, handsome men unless they are family members.
Other than that they are:
the usual.
grin

How can "Nairaland" know what its members do offline?
We can only judge people by the comments they make.
And to be honest with you, there are some very nice men on NL.
I had a very good conversation with you a few days ago, I learned a lot. I think you are smart and I think you are nice.
Maybe the friendliness will change in the future but this is what I think right now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Married Women: The Skyrocketing Rise In Adultery In Nigeria. / Should A Lady Marry A Man Who Is Jobless? / Ghanaian Lady Commits Suicide After Catching Her Mum With Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.