Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? (9903 Views)

Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak / Ever Been Abused? How Did You Get Out Of It? Still Been Abused?speak Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by 5minsmadness: 4:47am On Oct 15, 2014
SirShymex:
I think the problem lies with women folk.

And it should be: when are women going to stop provoking/instigating domestic violence
?

Then, we also have to show the same level of concerns for men who are/have-been victims of domestic violence, the same way we have been doing about women.

Once we start doing that - a lot of things are going to change.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by 5minsmadness: 4:54am On Oct 15, 2014
Nonso23:

i disagree to agree to disagree.
My head...oh my head...
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by 5minsmadness: 5:00am On Oct 15, 2014
zboyd:

Good question!

Btw...this is one of the most common excuses (and their variations) abusive men give when they abuse women.

"She provoked me!"

"She made me do it!"

"She pushed me into it!"

Nonsense!

And why is it nonsense?
As long as you keep ignoring the reason for the abuse no matter how 'nonsensical' it is, it will definitely continue.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by 5minsmadness: 5:12am On Oct 15, 2014
Men have always been more physical than women.
Women have always been more verbal than men.

It is usual for a woman to provoke a man by her words. She tongue-lashes the man into a corner by her nettled/stinging tongue and most time doesn't know or care when to stop until the man responds with physical force.

It is so common in society that a real man is now defined as one who knows how to control himself before a woman i.e society is aware the woman will provoke the man but ask the man to control himself without addressing the initial problem, the verbally abusive woman.

@banana ender : no, men most times do not instigate domestic violence. Women do. And if the man loses control or patience and strikes the woman even once, he is immediately branded an abuser. What an unfair world.

CAVEAT.
There are a certain group of men who derive pleasure from turning women into punching bags for NO IDENTIFIABLE REASON. Such men are socially dysfunctional and need help. Such men are also in the minority as in it is not a thing a normal man would do. Generalisations shouldn't be made on all men because of this small group.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 5:12am On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 5:29am On Oct 15, 2014
Maybe when you start telling the women folks to learn to communicate without resorting to verbal abuse. I can't imagine how a man who's spouse talked to him about her grievances in a calm and collected manner would descend to hit her.

There's no justification for hitting a lady but that statement is bullshit when we don't really address where the issue stems out from. A lady abuses a guy the first time, he walks away and says nothing, she does it again and he walks away again. In her mind, he is weak and next time she would even go to the next level to tell him he is weak, increase the abuses ten folds and you expect the man to restrain himself from all these? No. He is human and he would snap one day. Maybe you should understand that verbal abuse affects men almost as physical violence does to women. Abuse is abuse. There's no lesser evil between the two.

You see some silly comments from most ladies on abuse even advocating that if she abuses you, you abuse her back. Can you imagine such hogwash?

Tell your fellow ladies to learn to discuss issues without verbal abuse then maybe men would start fighting guys who find joy in hitting women.

Stop excusing bad behaviours because one gender is a so called weaker sex. Its just giving them a justification to run their mouth. Men are also weaker sexes when it comes to verbal abuse . So maybe we excuse them when they hit women?

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 5:54am On Oct 15, 2014
5minsmadness:
Men have always been more physical than women.
Women have always been more verbal than men.

For a long time, the culture has been "a woman should be seen and not heard". This is suppose to explain why men would be more outspoken than women. Past cultural beliefs stated that women should speak only when spoken to, so it comes as a shock to me to hear you say women are more verbal.

You can post link to that research or you can explain your thought process backed by historical instances.

It is usual for a woman to provoke a man by her words. She tongue-lashes the man into a corner by her nettled/stinging tongue and most time doesn't know or care when to stop until the man responds with physical force.

Again, I can't find proof of the above. Instead, I found proof showing that men who grew up with abusive fathers, end up physically abusing their wives.

Secondly, a civilized society frowns against any form of violence except one's life is threatened. I don't see how "tongue-lashing" threatens anybody's life. A violent person is a detriment to his society because he lacks the self control needed to act like a civilized human being.
The response to "tongue-lashing" should never be violence.

http://www.domesticviolenceroundtable.org/effect-on-children.html
http://www.villagelife.org/news/archives/DV_coverstory/DV_menjustified.html

It is so common in society that a real man is now defined as one who knows how to control himself before a woman i.e society is aware the woman will provoke the man but ask the man to control himself without addressing the initial problem, the verbally abusive woman.

No, you are wrong. A real man is one who doesn't debase himself to the level of a wild animal. A man that doesn't let his emotions take over his senses. A man that makes rational decisions.

@banana ender : no, men most times do not instigate domestic violence. Women do. And if the man loses control or patience and strikes the woman even once, he is immediately branded an abuser. What an unfair world.

@emboldened: Bwhahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin

This is beyond ridiculous, you can't be serious. So when a woman is physically abused, she provoked it but when a man is physically abused, he did nothing to provoke it?? LML.

Your reasoning is biased and it lacks any base to it.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 6:00am On Oct 15, 2014
satope1:

There's no justification for hitting a lady but that statement is bullshit when we don't really address where the issue stems out from. A lady abuses a guy the first time, he walks away and says nothing, she does it again and he walks away again. In her mind, he is weak and next time she would even go to the next level to tell him he is weak, increase the abuses ten folds and you expect the man to restrain himself from all these? No. He is human and he would snap one day. Maybe you should understand that verbal abuse affects men almost as physical violence does to women. Abuse is abuse. There's no lesser evil between the two.

The hypothetical man in your post has psychological problems. Why does he remain with someone that is verbally abusing him?? Why wouldn't he leave such toxic environment?

Women often use the excuse of dependency and being physically weaker, but what is the man's excuse? Why is he staying in an abusive relationship? Educate me.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 15, 2014
BananaBender:

The hypothetical man in your post has psychological problems. Why does he remain with someone that is verbally abusing him?? Why wouldn't he leave such toxic environment?

Women often use the excuse of dependency and being physically weaker, but what is the man's excuse? Why is he staying in an abusive relationship? Educate me.
Excuses , excuses and excuses. So no words for the instigator ? Just like that, for something as common as verbal abuse that most women now deem as their second nature.

You should leave that theoretical world and face reality for once. Stop sitting by that arm chair and making such comments. Your type think relationships are just things you just wake up one day and walk away from. You think men don't consider what they have invested in the relationship or don't consider the kids? Also when did your women folk even start seeing verbal abuse as something bad?

Most women except for a select few see "running their mouths" as normal ways of showing displeasure. You want links to numerous threads here where your fellow patrons always advocate women will always run their mouths?

I don't argue with people like you who are far drawn from what reality is.

Educate your fellow ladies about verbal abuse and make it a front burner issue. For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Maybe they should learn that. Almost 80 percent of first time physical abuse by men are instigated by the verbal abuse of their partners. No justifcation for the reaction by the men but we cant just isolate that issue and try being politcally correct without looking at the root of the problem. When ladies start taking responsibility for words spoken then we can start truly addressing abuse in relationships.

Almost all men vow never to hit their partners and see it as something irresponsible to do but do we have such about verbal abuse from women? That's even if majority of them see it as something bad that needs correction.

Just carry out a poll on here and ask guys if their ladies have have ever verbally abused them and you would be shocked to see that at least 8 in 10 would say yes. Does that tell you where the problem lies?

Stealing is bad but can we tell the person who was robbed to just move on that the kleptomaniac can't help it? that is the way we treat verbal abuse in the society.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 15, 2014
LMAO. It's way past my bedtime, I'll respond to your diatribe when I wake up.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by 5minsmadness: 9:41am On Oct 15, 2014
Look who's talking about biased reasoning grin

BananaBender:

For a long time, the culture has been "a woman should be seen and not heard". This is suppose to explain why men would be more outspoken than women. Past cultural beliefs stated that women should speak only when spoken to, so it comes as a shock to me to hear you say women are more verbal.

You can post link to that research or you can explain your thought process backed by historical instances.
It comes as a shock to you? Really? Sorry, do you live on this planet? Everyone KNOWS that women talk more and men are more physical unless you can't observe things without browsing Almighty omniportent wikipedia.

Anyways lemme indulge you:
Since biblical times women have been getting into trouble by talking too much. A woman can nag a husband to death so much so that the bible says in Proverbs 27:15
A nagging wife is as annoying as the constant dripping on a rainy day.

Also Proverbs 25:24
Better to live on the corner of a roof than to share a house with a nagging wife.

That culture saying you quoted that a woman should be seen and not heard? It was a rebuke to women to keep quiet because they talked and gossipped too much. It wasn't so much so an infringement on their rights as it was an exhortation to control their tongues.

Also scientists(always looking for a reason for something) have said the reason why women talk too much(their words not mine) is because of the foxp2 protein.

It has been claimed that women speak about 20,000 words a day - 13,000 more than the average man - and scientists say a higher amount of the Foxp2 protein is the reason women are more chatty
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2281891/Women-really-talk-men-13-000-words-day-precise.html

There are more studies online but I want to address your other points.

Again, I can't find proof of the above. Instead, I found proof showing that men who grew up with abusive fathers, end up physically abusing their wives.

And this is the only reason you found why men abuse thier wives? What about drunkards, drug users, masochists and manic depressives?
Are you a feminist?

Secondly, a civilized society frowns against any form of violence except one's life is threatened. I don't see how "tongue-lashing" threatens anybody's life. A violent person is a detriment to his society because he lacks the self control needed to act like a civilized human being.
shocked shocked shocked
What?
OK, maybe that was a typographical error. Moving on.

If you are married to yokozuna or hulk hogan or mike Tyson I assure you that 'tongue-lashing' him is going to
threaten someone's life, and I don't think it will be the guy. Why provoke in the first place? Why not exercise self control of the tongue?

The response to "tongue-lashing" should never be violence.

http://www.domesticviolenceroundtable.org/effect-on-children.html
http://www.villagelife.org/news/archives/DV_coverstory/DV_menjustified.html

Pray tell, what should it be? Walk away? The guy already did that four times and instead the tongue lashing has increased. In fact she holds on to the man now to make sure he doesn't escape until she is through with her verbal assault.

The truth is that ladies guilty of this simply want to eat their cake and have it. They know men are no match for them when it comes to quarreling and so they want to use this weapon to prove their point while robbing the man of his own natural instinct to respond physically. Boo hoo. Its because there are no serious crisis now like a world war that jobless people keep making laws against men. Anyway, thats topic for another day.

No, you are wrong. A real man is one who doesn't debase himself to the level of a wild animal. A man that doesn't let his emotions take over his senses. A man that makes rational decisions.

a real man is now defined as one who knows how to control himself before a woman i.e society is aware that the woman will provoke the man but ask the man to control himself

You know the difference between what I said and what you said? Nothing except that your post reeked of disgust for men. Your post is provocative. And the fact that you acknowledge emotions shows you know that the man is bound to get angry. But he should control his emotions abi?

banana ender: @emboldened: Bwhahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin

This is beyond ridiculous, you can't be serious. So when a woman is physically abused, she provoked it but when a man is physically abused, he did nothing to provoke it?? LML.

no, men most times do not instigate domestic violence. Women do.and if the man loses control or patience and strikes the woman even onceonce he is immediately branded an abuser

What has that your post above got to do with my post below? Where did I imply what you said? Shuo.

If you are really honest with yourself you will know the problem and where it stems from. That's why it is said a woman's tongue can either make or mar her home. Try and be honest and look at both sides of the coin. As you can see in my original post I put a caveat. I realise men are more physically abusive and we need to exert self control. You should also realise that women can be very provocative and need to watch what they say that can provoke a man. It won't take anything from you but instead make you better.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by KAYD007(m): 10:38am On Oct 15, 2014
@ the OP.

It is said that one who wears the shoe knows where and how it pinches...

You don't take your VEEJAY to the gynecologist and expect your male neighbour to explain to the gyne how "the thing is doing you tininitanana, na him get to.to?
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 11:09am On Oct 15, 2014
5minsmadness:

And why is it nonsense?
As long as you keep ignoring the reason for the abuse no matter how 'nonsensical' it is, it will definitely continue.

Just like a man will only do what a woman allows him to do - so will a woman only do what a man allows her to do.

FYI...most women secretly detest men who they can walk all over - they consider them weak and passive - they respect strong, assertive men.

If a woman can turn her back on an unhappy marriage where she is disrespected and/or subjected to verbal and physical abuse and take her kids and raise them by herself...so can a man...no matter the investment. I've seen women walk away from cushy lifestyles because of some messed-up in the head men, vowing never to return and they don't return. As for the kids...some pray for their warring parents to separate and/or divorce. It becomes too much for them. It messes with their heads.

And I don't know the kind of men you know, but the ones I know don't take nonsense from women. You will not disrespect them or talk to them crazy because they will check you, without laying one finger on you or calling you any nasty names. They don't wait for any BS from any woman to become a habit, if they know, without a doubt in their minds that they have been good husbands and fathers. They will walk. For them, peace of mind is far more valuable than any material things. Some even take their kids with them or share joint custody.

To be more specific, I know of several Naija men over here who have done that very thing. One has five kids he's raising, with the help of his parents who live here now. As for his ex-wife, she's in the banking field, makes good money and has to pay him child support and the kids hate her, for the way she talked to and treated their father. She's one nasty piece of work! As for him and the kids, they are so much happier. And the ex-wife? Word on the street is that she swears he'll come crawling back to her one day. Yeah...when pigs fly.

Life is too short to be miserably married.

So...why stay in an unhappy marriage?

Here are 10 reasons some people do...http://anamikas.hubpages.com/hub/Divorse-unhappy-Marriage-reasons

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 11:18am On Oct 15, 2014
At the bolded..interesting thoughts

I have 2 questions if u can answer

- How do u recognise an assertive strong man

- How can a strong personality of a man dwell with a strong woman - can they be compatible

zboyd:

Just like a man will only do what a woman allows him to do - so will a woman only do what a man allows her to do.

FYI...most women detest men who they can walk all over - they consider them weak and passive - they respect strong, assertive men.

If a woman can turn her back on an unhappy marriage where she is disrespected and/or subjected to verbal and physical abuse and take her kids and raise them by herself...so can a man...no matter the investment. I've seen women walk away from cushy lifestyles because of some messed-up in the head men, vowing never to return and they don't return. As for the kids...some pray for their warring parents to separate and/or divorce. It becomes too much for them. It messes with their heads.

And I don't know the kind of men you know, but the ones I know don't take nonsense from women. You will not disrespect them or talk to them crazy because they will check you, without laying one finger on you or calling you any nasty names. They don't wait for any BS from any woman to become a habit, if they know, without a doubt in their minds that they have been good husbands and fathers. They will walk. For them, peace of mind is far more valuable than any material things. Some even take their kids with them or share joint custody.

To be more specific, I know of several Naija men over here who have done that very thing. One has five kids he's raising, with the help of his parents who live here now. As for his ex-wife, she's in the banking field, makes good money and has to pay him child support and the kids hate her, for the way she talked to and treated their father. She's one nasty piece of work! As for him and the kids, they are so much happier. And the ex-wife? Word on the street is that she swears he'll come crawling back to her one day. Yeah...when pigs fly.

Life is too short to be miserably married.

So...why stay in an unhappy marriage?

Here are 10 reasons some people do...http://anamikas.hubpages.com/hub/Divorse-unhappy-Marriage-reasons

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 11:22am On Oct 15, 2014
KAYD007:
@ the OP.

It is said that one who wears the shoe knows where and how it pinches...

You don't take your VEEJAY to the gynecologist and expect your male neighbour to explain to the gyne how "the thing is doing you tininitanana, na him get to.to?

Shoes that are too large are apt to trip you up, and when they're too small, they will pinch your feet.
So it is with those whose marriages do not suit them.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 11:44am On Oct 15, 2014
Do women speak up about violence against men?

So we should now fight your fights? What happened to the I'm a strong woman and I don't need no man slogans?

Women, Confused minds as usual

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Do women speak up about violence against men?

So we should now fight your fights? What happened to the I'm a strong woman and I don't need no man slogans?

Women, Confused minds as usual

Yes, some women DO speak up about violence against men.

Here's one...

"Domestic Violence Against Men"
by emievil

Read more at: http://hubpages.com/hub/Domestic-ViolenceAgainst-Men

As for the slogans...what these women are really saying is they can take care of themselves financially, rather than depend on a man's finances to take of them. Unfortunately, some women don't have that option and some wicked men exploit that. You should understand that by now, in this global age.

So where's the confusion?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
because self-imposed victimhood is not a recipe for happiness.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by bukatyne(f): 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
Except a woman hits a man first, I see no justification for physical abuse.

All those men talk less is wash; if a woman runs her mouth, run yours or take a walk.

I see a lot of men in shouting conquests and they manage not to hit themselves because they are afraid of broken bones grin

If a man verbally abuses a woman, is she allowed to hit the man
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
satope1:
Maybe when you start telling the women folks to learn to communicate without resorting to verbal abuse. I can't imagine how a man who's spouse talked to him about her grievances in a calm and collected manner would descend to hit her.

You see some silly comments from most ladies on abuse even advocating that if she abuses you, you abuse her back. Can you imagine such hogwash?

Tell your fellow ladies to learn to discuss issues without verbal abuse then maybe men would start fighting guys who find joy in hitting women.

Stop excusing bad behaviours because one gender is a so called weaker sex. Its just giving them a justification to run their mouth. Men are also weaker sexes when it comes to verbal abuse . So maybe we excuse them when they hit women?
good point,
some years back I was in bus a lady was verbally assaulting the bus conductor, even threw an insult on the conductor's mother who was not part of their issue. when the conductor tries to insult back the lady slapped him. the conductor then slapped back and idiots in the bus started attacking the conductor for hitting a woman. I call them idiots.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 5:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
bukatyne:

Another good question!

Following the logic of some men, women can provoke men to hit them because of their sharp tongues.

Does it also follow that men can also provoke women to hit THEM because of THEIR sharp tongues?

Mind you now, some men have a mouth on them too.

No matter who's running their mouth, married folks shouldn't be yapping at each other like chihuahuas.

That's not very adult of them.
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 5:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
zboyd

pickabeau1:
At the bolded..interesting thoughts

I have 2 questions if u can answer

- How do u recognise an assertive strong man

- How can a strong personality of a man dwell with a strong woman - can they be compatible

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
bukatyne:

All those men talk less is wash; if a woman runs her mouth, run yours or take a walk.

I see a lot of men in shouting conquests and they manage not to hit themselves because they are afraid of broken bones grin

Can everyone see where we have a problem?

They would never agree that verbal abuse is bad and would never condemn it but would rather advise the man runs his mouth back. When did two wrongs start making a right. ?

When you are ready to accept the truth and not resort to double standards maybe we can start addressing abuse in relationships.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by bukatyne(f): 6:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
satope1:
Can everyone see where we have a problem?

They would never agree that verbal abuse is bad and would never condemn it but would rather advise the man runs his mouth back. When did two wrongs start making a right. ?

When you are ready to accept the truth and not resort to double standards maybe we can start addressing abuse in relationships.

Tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 6:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
So what's the point of your thread? Some m'en also speak about violence against women .

As for the slogans they only paint as confused minds.
No confusion just pointing the fact that women seem unable to walk the talk wink undecided lipsrsealed
zboyd:

Yes, some women DO speak up about violence against men.

Here's one...

"Domestic Violence Against Men"
by emievil

Read more at: http://hubpages.com/hub/Domestic-ViolenceAgainst-Men

As for the slogans...what these women are really saying is they can take care of themselves financially, rather than depend on a man's finances to take of them. Unfortunately, some women don't have that option and some wicked men exploit that. You should understand that by now, in this global age.

So where's the confusion?

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by zboyd: 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
So what's the point of your thread? Some m'en also speak about violence against women . As for the slogans they only paint as confused minds.
No confusion just pointing the fact that women seem unable to walk the talk wink undecided lipsrsealed

First, there is no confusion among women who can take care of themselves without depending on a man's money. But there is confusion among women who claim to be independent but still look for a man to give them money. And I could say that some men seem unable to "walk the talk" too...but I won't.

Second,

The point of the thread is that MORE men need to speak out against violence against women. It's when men put their weight behind this issue, make laws with teeth in them and/or enforce existing laws that attitudes toward abused women, in fact, women in general, will change for the better, so will attitudes toward abused men.

Men's attitudes toward women are fairly easy to recognize. Listen to the words some men use to describe women. In societies where men are in power, words are often used to put women down, where calling a girl or woman a “b-tch,” “freak,” “wh-re,” “c-nt,” or “s-ut” is common. Such language sends a message that females are less than fully human. When men see women as inferior, it becomes easier to treat them with less respect, disregard their rights, and ignore their well-being.

When you hear women on NL speak of abused women seeking help, what have they said, in so many different ways?

If she runs to the police, she's told: "This is a family matter. Go home and be a good wife!"

If she runs to her pastor, she's told: "Just be more submissive and prayerful, because God hates divorce!"

If she runs to her parents, she's told: "Go face your husband. Ask him what you did to offend him. Ask him for forgiveness. Remember: God hates divorce!"

If the busybody biddies get wind of it, she's asked: "What did you do?!"

So where does she turn? Where does she go? Will her next landing place be the grave - leaving her children motherless?

Even though the following articles mainly focus on Nigeria, violence against women is a global problem.

"Domestic Violence: The Problem Pervading Nigeria"
http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/domestic-violence-problem-pervading

"Violence against Women in Nigeria…. Myth or Fact?"
http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/5996/1/Violence-against-Women-in-Nigeria-Myth-or-Fact/Page1.html

MALAWI, AFRICA: More men jump on the band-wagon to stop violence against women
http://womennewsnetwork.net/2013/06/16/malawi-men-stop-violence-women/

Involve men to check violence against women
http://www.modernghana.com/news/274481/84/involve-men-to-check-violence-against-women.html

How Men In South Africa Are Trying To Stop Violence Against Women
http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/12/how-men-in-south-africa-are-trying-to-stop-violence-against-women/266689/

Partnering with Men to Stop Violence Against Women
http://www.peacexpeace.org/2011/10/partnering-with-men-to-stop-violence-against-women/

Violence Against Women Is a Men’s Issue
http://goodmenproject.com/gender-sexuality/violence-against-women-is-a-mens-issue/

"When Your Wife Pushes You Too Far, A Slap Or 2 Could Be Justified"

https://www.nairaland.com/887033/when-wife-pushes-too-fara
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by TV01(m): 11:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
bukatyne:
Obviously no need to justify the woman first hitting the man as that's not physical abuse is it?

TV

1 Like

Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by bukatyne(f): 10:08am On Oct 16, 2014
TV01:

Obviously no need to justify the woman first hitting the man as that's not physical abuse is it?

TV

Can you please type in English?

Thanks in advance
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:19am On Oct 16, 2014
bukatyne:

Can you please type in English?

Thanks in advance

Too much party tinz lol
He wrote in english

He says that women physically responding to male verbal abuse was not seen as abuse unlike the reverse

Case in point...solange n jay z

meanwhile I will like your thoughts on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1947677/gender-inequality-why-things-wont/2#27170662
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by bukatyne(f): 10:38am On Oct 16, 2014
pickabeau1:

Too much party tinz lol
He wrote in english

He says that women physically responding to male verbal abuse was not seen as abuse unlike the reverse

Case in point...solange n jay z

meanwhile I will like your thoughts on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1947677/gender-inequality-why-things-wont/2#27170662

As I am not a mind reader, I will wait for him to explain what he means. I read the post and had 2 interpretations to it.

I guess I have looked at that thread but let me check again

The party was fun cheesy
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by pickabeau1: 10:49am On Oct 16, 2014
bukatyne:

As I am not a mind reader, I will wait for him to explain what he means. I read the post and had 2 interpretations to it.

I guess I have looked at that thread but let me check again

The party was fun cheesy

Ok...no problem
Re: Why Don't More Men Speak Up About Violence Against Women? by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 16, 2014
Buky, u r very right.
That a woman has a bad mouth is never a criteria for physical abuse.
What happened to ur own mouth?
Run it too!
Infact, i rather fear a man that has bad mouth than a lady with bad mouth.

Somebody like coogar has bad mouth tongue
No need going physical. If u have such at home, ur brain will reset automatically cheesy

Incase u guys dont know,some ladies r stronger than their spouses. So if u charge at her and receive takwando instead of cry, what doeth thou?

At d end of d tunnel, its always good to have a healthy com btw d two of u.
Marriage is about endurance, sacrifice, tolerance,love and selflessness.

D truth is that majority dont know what they r going into.
Thats why we hv all these stories everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Lazy Husband / History Of A Name "omotoso" / Am Pregnant For My Half Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.