Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,579 members, 7,955,136 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:46 PM

OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. (20655 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. / Violence And Christianity Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

I do things when I have strong reasons to do them.

I don't drink cos I have no reason to drink.

I don't smoke cos I have no reason to smoke

I don't womanise cos I have no reason to do so

So also, I don't believe in God cos I have no reason to believe in him.

I dismiss all notions of God and organised religion.

So, what do you do for fun? Just books?...
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

So, what do you do for fun? Just books?...

I watch football, surf the web, stream videos on YouTube, visit friends, occasionally hang out, and of course, read books

Isn't that a fun filled life? grin

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 17, 2014
I wasn't suppose to like this thread. Not with the virulent tone some of the posts took...especially seeing that some of the venom was shot at the people I admire the most on NL, namely; Coli, AirBorneLacer, Tallesty1 (the "happy-go-lucky band" as someone I deeply respect threw in the label for anyone who cared to pick it). But I don't know why it got so funny at some points I was literally "LoLest"-ing. If there were a "favorite-this-thread" button, I'd since have clicked it. And to think that one of the most severe misunderstandings that ran virtually throughout the thread was caused by an earlier post of mine (in what I intended as a bare and benign compliment) places me at a kind of diabolic spot (at least in my mind).
While I do not condone 'e-cruelty' and vicious mary-go-round arguments on a normal day, when intelligent people like y'all lock horns I rush for the front seat grabbing my popcorn and grinning from ear to ear, eyes popping out and relishing the alternating rising of points and their subsequent destruction. I'm sheer evil perhaps sad but it's all with the hope that I'd stand a chance of learning a thing or two... or three. Or more. Somehow, I know someone will rise an issue I agree with, with varying degree of agreeability, and I'd like to see how an 'opponent' tackles it.

I'm genuinely happy Coli created this thread, I'm happy for her. Though every now and then I did say "Oouch!" when a critique of her belief was too blunt than was needed, but ultimately I see this as a much needed step in the right direction for her 'journey'. I also 'grew' from reading all the posts, I feel an inch taller already. I saw how deluded and unrealistic I have been about some treasured ideals that I hold and how dreamy, juvenile and removed from reality my online persona (which is really just an extension of my offline self) projects. If only for that reason, I think this thread has served a useful purpose. Albeit, when the dust settles I know I'll still believe that a world with more 'love' and 'compassion' is a better place to live. The definition of the two terms would be left to my own personal discretion.

And god knows that today, even though we are poles away from each other in our beliefs, my respect for Tallesty1 spiked an all time high. smiley bro, you do know how to "keep your head when all about you are losing theirs". You walked the talk of your "keeping cool under an e-attack" thread. And though he could have gotten across more if he was milder, some of the things he raised were valid.
There I go, with a long but not necessarily objective epistle that is typical of someone from the "happy-go-lucky band" lot. To cap it all up, what I want to get across is that as much as we have a brain, we also have a 'heart' (I see how that assertion is disputable too since the usage of the term here doesn't connote the anatomical organ that pumps blood), and some of us have hearts that are larger than our brains. I'd like to think that in this bleak existential reality that we inhabit, love and compassion that doesn't require requital adds a little color and a little 'meaning' because, ultimately, it's not for them alone, we are doing it for ourselves as well.

Finally, I have a lil question: how did y'all get to be this brainy and eloquent?! I need tips please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by pickabeau1: 12:01am On Oct 18, 2014
@
Xcapist:

Finally, I have a lil question: how did y'all get to be this brainy and eloquent?! I need tips please.

You dont need more brains and eloquence than u have at the moment
you have more than enuff
your prose above is a case in point

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 2:58am On Oct 18, 2014
pickabeau1:
@

You dont need more brains and eloquence than u have at the moment
you have more than enuff
your prose above is a case in point

No mind the guy jare. Be like say my 'happy-go-lucky' quip don stick grin.

Anyways, sometimes, to be brutal is to be kind. A doctor might have to amputate a limb to save a life. I might have been a little harsh, but I do take matter like these close to heart. Even as a Christian, I'd always seen Jesus as a revolutionary, one who went against the status quo. He wasn't all meek and nice both to friends and perceived enemies. He rebuked them sharply (? Peter or someone else was told 'satan, get thee behind me?) and never compromised. He definitely wasn't judgmental as amongst his clique was a prostitute and a tax collector. While I might question his divinity and all other circumstances surrounding his death, I really do respect his ideals and principles.
He chose to die for what he believed. Whether he resurrected or not is an argument for another day but this is the highest price one can pay for any cause. It cements your vision in the heart of your followers and ensures the ideals you project transcend you.

Every great revolutionary in history shares this trait. It is what separates them from the crowd, what fuels their drive, the reason they live to die. The world doesn't give a Bleep about good meek men. They die a sheep's death. A lion isn't killed so easily.

Morning y'all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 8:22am On Oct 18, 2014
#Moved

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 8:48am On Oct 18, 2014
^^^ oops, it felt like I was writing from my diary.

Moving it now.

I don't wanna desecrate the holy sacred religious section.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 9:10am On Oct 18, 2014
musKeeto:

Anyways, sometimes, to be brutal is to be kind. A doctor might have to amputate a limb to save a life. I might have been a little harsh, but I do take matter like these close to heart. Even as a Christian, I'd always seen Jesus as a revolutionary, one who went against the status quo. He wasn't all meek and nice both to friends and perceived enemies. He rebuked them sharply (? Peter or someone else was told 'satan, get thee behind me?) and never compromised. He definitely wasn't judgmental as amongst his clique was a prostitute and a tax collector. While I might question his divinity and all other circumstances surrounding his death, I really do respect his ideals and principles.
He chose to die for what he believed. Whether he resurrected or not is an argument for another day but this is the highest price one can pay for any cause. It cements your vision in the heart of your followers and ensures the ideals you project transcend you.

Every great revolutionary in history shares this trait. It is what separates them from the crowd, what fuels their drive, the reason they live to die. The world doesn't give a Bleep about good meek men. They die a sheep's death. A lion isn't killed so easily.

Morning y'all.

BRAVoooooo!

Abeg one black bottle for u eh!

Best post on this thread, so so stimulating.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 9:15am On Oct 18, 2014
musKeeto:

Morning y'all.
'Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit another set of damn chains around their necks and feet and blessed are the poor for they shall see God and not themselves'-David Eugene
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 9:27am On Oct 18, 2014
@traware, that is all you had to reply after making several counterpart copies of the post.

Shwooo!
There is God ooooh
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 9:32am On Oct 18, 2014
Jeeezzz @Traware
And I thought Urheme was impossible.
grin grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:26am On Oct 18, 2014
urheme:
@traware, that is all you had to reply after making several counterpart copies of the post.

Shwooo!
There is God ooooh
Quit talking and give me my own black bottle already
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Kay17: 1:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
Which is a greater value: love or wisdom?
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 1:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
[quote au thor=Kay17 post=27247604]Which is a greater value: love or wisdom?[/quote]

Wisdom smiley

@traware in fact one drum of palmy for u to take baf

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 2:25pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kay17:
Which is a greater value: love or wisdom?

Love.
It is the greatest kind of wisdom.

And I reckon with paul of the bible who said "I am nothing but clanging frying pans if I speak in all the wisdom of men, do all the doables, and yet, have no love.

There is wisdom in love.

But there might not always be love in wisdom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2014
Xcapist kiss

Saw your diary mention, and quite frankly I've missed you on BBM.

Just too shy to admit, maybe. #FacePalm embarassed

Ummmm

About the videos, sounds like a plan.

I have options of renewing my subscription right now, or wait till monday, and use office broadband.

My blood dey hawt! cheesy Lolest.

So, Deal? @Link?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Ymodulus: 6:55pm On Oct 18, 2014
Xcapist, MizMyColi, AirbornLacer , Tallesty1

Why don't we have a WhatsApp group. Where we discuss and share ideas talk in general

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:
Xcapist kiss

Saw your diary mention, and quite frankly I've missed you on BBM.

Just too shy to admit, maybe. #FacePalm embarassed

Ummmm

About the videos, sounds like a plan.

I have options of renewing my subscription right now, or wait till monday, and use office broadband.

My blood dey hawt! cheesy Lolest.

So, Deal? @Link?
deal! cheesy you can search and find the videos at www.ted.com

#1 Karen Armstrong
My Wish: A Charter of Compassion (2008)

#2 Tom Honey
The God Within (2005)

#3 Joan Halifax
Compassion and the True Meaning of Sympathy (2010)

#4 Rich Xcapist
I Miss You Too IJ (2014) wink grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 7:09pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ymodulus:

Why don't we have a WhatsApp group. Where we discuss and share ideas talk in general

Errrrmmm

Would there be other perks.

The usual na grin grin

Business Deals cool ati gbo gbo ero cheesy
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 7:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
Xcapist:

deal! cheesy you can search and find the videos at www.ted.com

#1 Karen Armstrong
My Wish: A Charter of Compassion (2008)

#2 Tom Honey
The God Within (2005)

#3 Joan Halifax
Compassion and the True Meaning of Sympathy (2010)

#4 Rich Xcapist
I Miss You Too IJ (2014) wink grin
kiss grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ymodulus:

yeah, why don't we... I'm PM-ing my phone #.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Kay17: 8:23pm On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

Love.
It is the greatest kind of wisdom.

And I reckon with paul of the bible who said "I am nothing but clanging frying pans if I speak in all the wisdom of men, do all the doables, and yet, have no love.

There is wisdom in love.

But there might not always be love in wisdom

Its like love is a totality of everything pleasant.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Tallesty1(m): 8:29pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ymodulus:

sounds good............
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 8:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kay17:

yeah.
Doesn't make it's path as pleasant though.

Ultimately it's worth it, I think.

In other news,
Currently watching POI, Reese said this:
You can't make something right by doing something wrong.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by zicoraads: 8:46pm On Oct 18, 2014
What's POI? And, are u still in a confused state?
MizMyColi:

yeah.

In other news,
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 9:07pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kay17:

You need wisdom to love or to even do anything reasonable or right.
"Wisdom is profitable to direct"
Love and compassion knows no boundary, person or animal, so when you start loving be prepare to stay at a loss or die for it. grin

People still show love and care for ebola victims but with wisdom grin grin grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 9:11pm On Oct 18, 2014
zicoraads:
What's POI? And, are u still in a confused state?

Hey Dear
Goodevening.

LoL
Person of Interest

American Tv Series.

Pretty much, yeah.
It happens like this when I'm about to leave a particular phase.

Things are a lot easier and it feels like nothing's happening cos I have you guys here to talk to and virtually everyone's home. There's been so much laughter at home.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by zicoraads: 9:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
Evening to u too ma'am!

You are an interesting lady. A person of interest, sort of.

Noticed u've totally gone religious. The religious threads are a lil surprising.

By the way, some things are best left unanswered.
MizMyColi:

Hey Dear
Goodevening.

LoL
Person of Interest

American Tv Series.

Pretty much, yeah.
It happens like this when I'm about to leave a particular phase.

Things are a lot easier and it feels like nothing's happening cos I have you guys here to talk to and virtually everyone's home. There's been so much laughter at home.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 9:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
zicoraads:
Evening to u too ma'am!

You are an interesting lady. A person of interest, sort of.

Noticed u've totally gone religious. The religious threads are a lil surprising.

By the way, some things are best left unanswered.

Yes Dear. First off, thanks for reminding me that.

I think the threads are funny too......considering I'm this kind that'd rather keep my strongly felt opinions to self just to keep peace.

I'm trying to be a rebel to that nature of mine.

Besides, my fav section feels so strange all of a sudden.

This place feels more like home for the time being.

I've seen weirder people here.
I get hope
grin grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

yeah.

In other news,

A soldier in the war front shows love and compassion to an incapacitated soldier by killing him or her when rescue is impossible,
Is this right or wrong?

He decided to show love and compassion by not killing him, but the vultures did,

Is this right or wrong?

So i agree with you, the paths of love are not neccessarily pleasant,

So we do need wisdom to love.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:54pm On Oct 18, 2014
urheme:

Wisdom smiley

Thanks mehn...hopefully it is the type of palmy old women spit into
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by traware(m): 11:55pm On Oct 18, 2014
urheme:

Wisdom smiley

Thanks mehn...hopefully it is the type of palmy old women spit into inorder to give the drink a better taste/flavour

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Are Hebrews Really Black People ? / What Do The 7 Churches In Revelation Represent? / Did God Want The Dana Flight To Crash?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.