Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. (20165 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. / Violence And Christianity Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MrPresident1: 1:55pm On Oct 17, 2014
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 2:10pm On Oct 17, 2014
Hi AirborneLacer
smiley

@Mrpresident1
The buildings may be ideals, religous strongholds, things we might have erected which now sand as an opposing barrier?
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 2:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

Errrmmmm,
Is mrpresident a female.

What's with this guilt-tripping now?
I didn't ask you to leave,

Maybe you thought I was the one who quoted you?

I haven't told anyone off na, even if I have, then its because they resorted to insults and or denigrative comments/ridicule.
Capisce? grin

don't know if he is male or female, that is why the dots are there.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:
Hi AirborneLacer smiley

Bae na Bible class I dey so cheesy
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 2:27pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Bae na Bible class I dey so cheesy

LoL
smiley
Oya Shift for me, lemme siddon near you cheesy
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

LoL
A bit I guess. cheesy
Not bad tho'

Still trying to figure out that riddle.

You shouldn't stress yourself looking for the answer since you appear creative enough. You can as well give it any answer you want. In fact, it need not be the same with his(Mrpresident). cheesy

Diverse interpretations can be given to any verse and each interpretation can be argued to be the right one.

A good example is Malachi 3:10.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

LoL
smiley

Bae you sure you're ready for this?

RationalMind, what interpretation have you got for Tithing which was recorded in Malachi 3:10?
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

You shouldn't stress yourself looking for the answer since you appear creative enough. You can as well give it any answer you want. In fact, it need not be the same with his(Mrpresident). cheesy

Diverse interpretations can be given to any verse and each interpretation can be argued to be the right one.

A good example is Malachi 3:10.

smiley
Thanks.

Hmmm.....that verse.
Waow! It's been a while.

Care to share your paradigm?
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 2:42pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer:

RationalMind, what interpretation have you got for Tithing which was recorded in Malachi 3:10?

embarassed embarassed

Even if I have nothing to say, lemme just be assimilating na.

Okay between me and you now, I still consider the bible as a life transforming book and tbh, under the right kind of illumination, I've never been mislead by it.
Not opening it for now is just a personal decision.

Errmmm, Hun, I'll likely post some controversial topics later today. embarassed
Biko, keep giving me grace, e hear grin grin

It can only get better.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2014

Hi Muskeeto smiley
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer:

To start with, I don't play around or hide under the umbrella of esoteric/hidden meanings, the type peddled by Mrpresident and his ilk. I take biblical verses as it is.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, that verse in my opinion strongly advocates tithing. I interpret it as a biblical injunction to tithe.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

smiley
Thanks.

Hmmm.....that verse.
Waow! It's been a while.

Care to share your paradigm?

I do things when I have strong reasons to do them.

I don't drink cos I have no reason to drink.

I don't smoke cos I have no reason to smoke

I don't womanise cos I have no reason to do so

So also, I don't believe in God cos I have no reason to believe in him.

I dismiss all notions of God and organised religion.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MrPresident1: 3:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

To start with, I don't play around or hide under the umbrella of esoteric/hidden meanings, the type peddled by Mrpresident and his ilk. I take biblical verses as it is.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, that verse in my opinion strongly advocates tithing. I interpret it as a biblical injunction to tithe.

Whatever you think, is your business. Opinions are ubiquitous, and don't cost much.

If you were as open minded (and not completely closed minded) as you and your atheist ilk pretend to be, the interpretation of that verse should have in the least created some curiosity in you, a willingness to explore what was hitherto beyond you.

Who cares? believe what you want, last time I checked it's a free world grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2014
MrPresident1:

Whatever you think, is your business. Opinions are ubiquitous, and don't cost much.

If you were as open minded (and not completely closed minded) as you and your atheist ilk pretend to be, the interpretation of that verse should have in the least created some curiosity in you, a willingness to explore what was hitherto beyond you.

Who cares? believe what you want, last time I checked it's a free world grin

I thought as much.

I can bet my life on it you have your own interpretation of that verse. grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

this post is so technical,
no lacuna to lay ambush,

if all these don't are you then you must be a complete gentleman, the man of God that we are looking for, your type are rear.

on contrary, the carnal men of this age do the first 4 phrase with no reason at all, and then believe in God because of the fear of death and forgiveness for all atrocities committed.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MrPresident1: 3:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

LoL
smiley

Please do not be distracted, it would be very beneficial to keep focus. You can see how rationalmind has tried to create a distraction by introducing the subject of tithing. Was that what we were discussing?

Keep in mind that I earlier told you that multifarious translations of the Bible are with evil intentions. With people like rationalmind, the intentions have been realized.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MrPresident1: 3:27pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

I thought as much.

I can bet my life on it you have your own interpretation of that verse. grin

Your do not possess a scientific or logical mind.

That riddle was long drawn out between myself and OP, I suggest you look through it again. Or perhaps you are not as rational minded as you would want us to believe? grin
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 3:27pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

oukei!

Here's wishing you the best on your journey.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2014
urheme:

this post is so technical,
no lacuna to lay ambush,

if all these don't are you then you must be a complete gentleman, the man of God that we are looking for, your type are rear.

on contrary, the carnal men of this age do the first 4 phrase with no reason at all, and then believe in God because of the fear of death and forgiveness for all atrocities committed.

Ooh, thanks for the complement though I'm far from being a man of God cheesy
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by urheme: 3:37pm On Oct 17, 2014
MrPresident1:

Please do not be distracted, it would be very beneficial to keep focus. You can see how rationalmind has tried to create a distraction by introducing the subject of tithing. Was that what we were discussing?

Keep in mind that I earlier told you that multifarious translations of the Bible are with evil intentions. With people like rationalmind, the intentions have been realized.

keep focus on what kpam...
rationalmind just gave a perfect interpretation of malachi 3 -10 you can't even prove him wrong.

the thread is not for bible quiz, as far as I can remember, mizmycoli was on a long spiritual voyage to self spiritual discovery/recovery and did briefed this forum that she has long abandon the bible.

there is a thread for catholic, perhaps you should go and win souls there.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 3:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer angry angry

No reply angry

Oh btw grin grin
I'm the first liker of your pic tongue

kiss
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MrPresident1: 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:
Hi AirborneLacer
smiley

@Mrpresident1
The buildings may be ideals, religous strongholds, things we might have erected which now sand as an opposing barrier?

Brilliant. yeah, the sanctuary is an ideal, it was/is also a stronghold. It was called the beauty of His ornament. But there is still a critical point that you are missing.

To understand the Bible, the KJV Bible, you must be able to create linkages.

Now let us take a look again;

Mark 13 King James Version (KJV)
And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!

The stones and buildings are the persons in the Sanctuary, the Temple.

[b]Lamentations 2:7
The Lord hath cast off his altar, he hath abhorred his sanctuary, he hath given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces; they have made a noise in the house of the Lord, as in the day of a solemn feast.
[/b]

The Sanctuary/Temple is a place where the 'stones' and 'buildings' were living. And it has a name.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
MrPresident1:

Your do not possess a scientific or logical mind.

That riddle was long drawn out between myself and OP, I suggest you look through it again. Or perhaps you are not as rational minded as you would want us to believe? grin

Coming from the same person who said this

Mrpresident1: Whatever you think, is your business. Opinions are ubiquitous, and don't cost much.

Why should your opinion of me matter? Why should I bother replying you?

Afterall, whatever you think of me according to you is your business.

You know, in all honesty, your folly is alarming grin, no offence.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

oukei!

Here's wishing you the best on your journey.

Thanks

Equally wishing you the best on your journey to atheism cheesy

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MrPresident1: 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
urheme:

keep focus on what kpam...
rationalmind just gave a perfect interpretation of malachi 3 -10 you can't even prove him wrong.

the thread is not for bible quiz, as far as I can remember, mizmycoli was on a long spiritual voyage to self spiritual discovery/recovery and did briefed this forum that she has long abandon the bible.

there is a thread for catholic, perhaps you should go and win souls there.

You cannot build a doctrine on a single stand alone verse, precepts must be built on precepts to create composite picture, a perfect picture. I came into this thread to provide guidance, to show the OP that she is very right when she concludes that the Bible must never be interpreted literally.

She is on a long spiritual voyage, in a way she is being courted by all of us; I am a man of faith, I guess you are an agnostic, rationalmind is atheist, so we are all presenting our cases.

She is a logical and reasoning being, at the end of the day she would have to choose whose side she would want to be.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:

Hi Muskeeto smiley
Hi Adannaya. Hope you have a lovely weekend. cool

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2014
MizMyColi:
AirborneLacer angry angry

No reply angry

Oh btw grin grin
I'm the first liker of your pic tongue

kiss

Hehehe

I'm taking that ish off tongue

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2014
AirborneLacer:

Hehehe

I'm taking that ish off tongue

Please do.......and put up another one.
I'm sampling cool

cheesy

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
musKeeto:

Hi Adannaya. Hope you have a lovely weekend. cool

Tenks cool
You too.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 4:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
rationalmind:

Thanks

Equally wishing you the best on your journey to atheism cheesy

cool

grin grin

We'll see where it leads.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by MizMyColi(f): 4:25pm On Oct 17, 2014
MrPresident1:

Brilliant. yeah, the sanctuary is an ideal, it was/is also a stronghold. It was called the beauty of His ornament. But there is still a critical point that you are missing.

To understand the Bible, the KJV Bible, you must be able to create linkages.

Now let us take a look again;

Mark 13 King James Version (KJV)
And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!

The stones and buildings are the persons in the Sanctuary, the Temple.

[b]Lamentations 2:7
The Lord hath cast off his altar, he hath abhorred his sanctuary, he hath given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces; they have made a noise in the house of the Lord, as in the day of a solemn feast.
[/b]

The Sanctuary/Temple is a place where the 'stones' and 'buildings' were living.

Okay, thanks Sir.
we'd continue some other time.
Re: OPINION: Violence Is Not Part Of God's Nature. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
Xcapist:
I said this once, I'll say it again. MizMyColi is like a bridge that connects the best of two worlds; Atheism and Theism. It's an unlikely and apparently contradictory role by she seem to be playing it well and with much grace. And you really can't go wrong with love and compassion, can you? One other person that I similarly appreciate for his worldview is Ymodolus. I subscribe to your statement of 'faith' bro.

If religious people could relinguish their hubristic need to always be absolutely right about everything based on some ancient millenia old text and focus more on being more loving, kind and compassionate then religion will not be a seed of discord among us. God bless you MizMyColi. God bless you Ymodolus. God bless all Secular Humanists everywhere. God bless all peace loving people, God bless us all. And God bless me grin May we all grow in Grace and Love and find Inner Peace as we live out our respective Truths.
okay. While I was away this thread got hot. Since my post (quoted above) have caused a little stir and has been used to 'crucify' my friend, let me say here that this is a position I hold about Coli on my own without her endorsing stamp.

And this is what I meant by it. Let me start by admitting that I do not posses a full understanding of what she professes in its entirety. Why I say she's like a bridge is because she accepts atheists as they are without the need to convert or fight them. This doesn't mean she agrees with their atheistic views nonetheless. Her belief is admittedly quite controversial and I've seen her hold her own against attacks when she voiced her opposition to certain obvious illogical notion of god and what he has come to represent...I've seen her take a good bashing from our over zealous religionist brothers for that. She's been called a satanist and a christian atheist among other things. Because of all of that I feel I can identify with her as someone who has a shared similar experience with me. But she also has her theistic beliefs which greatly differ from my own. In that regard, I feel she shares a common experience with religionists (theism). And finally, I perceive love and compassion to be good virtues irrespective of faith.

Thus, it was from the standpoint of shared experiences that I drew the bridge metaphor. I hope this clears the air a bit, and not leave things worse off undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? / "Gain Access To International Blessing With 1k" Pastor Says –Daddy Freeze Reacts / Masquerade Seen Quoting The Scriptures In Enugu State (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.