Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

"Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? (36773 Views)

Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust / 2015 Jonathan Rally: Enugu State Government Declares Thursday Work-free Day / Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by hayoakins(m): 11:07am On Oct 15, 2014
All things are possible to them that believe. We can achieve it smiley
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 15, 2014
Nonsense.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Pirooo(m): 11:08am On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

My guy it is very safe. They are not trying to say the horn should not be used at all, but it should only be used when absolutely necessary, that is the moral. People in Nigeria use their horns as if it is a toy, unnecessarily. The world would be a better place when people start driving with their mind open and not by honking their horns every second. U hear people blazing horns in traffic, at hospitals, in schools and estates. This is an enlightenment to let people know it is possible to drive without the horn, I do it several times.

We keep saying Nigeria is bad, yet when we go to other countries we abide by their rules. I have driven for 3 months outside Nigeria without using my horn and I can tell u it was so peaceful . So why can't we do the same thing in our own country.
Now I'm pleased to read a few comments from sane Nigerian. Some years back, many would say Nigerians can never be used to fastening their seat belts. Many would say Oshodi cannot be that neat.
A journey of a thousand miles begin with a step.
I'm always proud of Lagos state government and think Lagos should be the one called Pace Setter State.

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Odunharry(m): 11:10am On Oct 15, 2014
all this okada and danfo wan make person deaf
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by maclatunji: 11:10am On Oct 15, 2014
I just heard an horn.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by deor03(m): 11:18am On Oct 15, 2014
dustydee:

In the UK flashing your full light may be a traffic offence - it is seen as intimidating other road users.

I agree on the intimidation part but flashing of full light is NOT a traffic offence anywhere in the UK
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by abatically(m): 11:19am On Oct 15, 2014
Pirooo:

Now I'm pleased to read a few comments from sane Nigerian. Some years back, many would say Nigerians can never be used to fastening their seat belts. Many would say Oshodi cannot be that neat.
A journey of a thousand miles begin with a step.
I'm always proud of Lagos state government and think Lagos should be the one called Pace Setter State.

Very true. I remembered when Lagos state made the law that people should not throw waste out of their cars. A lot of people laughed at it and said it is not possible. Has it been totally eradicated? NO, but it has been effective. Today people still throw rubbish out of their cars but it has been drastically reduced. Today people watch to see if there are law enforcement agents before doing it. So that means it is working. U can't even try it in some parts of Lagos. I still remember when we throw wastes in pits, but today with the introduction of lawma and waste bills, that has become a thing of the past. Gradually we will get there. Eko o no baje
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by maclatunji: 11:20am On Oct 15, 2014
I just heard another horn thrice.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by abatically(m): 11:23am On Oct 15, 2014
brainey:

Dis guy mumu ooo!......u in your wildest dream compared lag and abroad cities?.........tell me what looks like abroad in d 'beautified' lagos....for e.g in the UK where horns are customarily reserved for X-mas n new year,unless during emergencies,they have good and obeyable traffic rules.when yu break a rule,yu re jailed or pay a fine,having bn charged to court!unlike d omotas in all forms of uniforms!.........in australia,u can't find a pot-hole anyway but there are patched roads!infact,they still use wooden power-lines but yu can't b held up by traffic anywhere....so,bro,tell me how yu will drive frm ogba to ijora to ijora w/out horning!

Nigeria is not mars, so it is possible but only when us the citizens do the right thing. Yes the government has failed us but it still doesn't stop us from doing the right thing. I drive from ogba to ijora, to mile 2, to alaba without using my horn. Rome was not built in a day, but it didn't take eternity to build.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 15, 2014
smiley
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

First of all, the traffic in NYC is more alarming than in Lagos. Even Los Angeles, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing and gouzhou China has worse traffics and yet people abide by the rules. Zhengzhou city has over 220 million registered cars. I have driven in Lagos for weeks without using my horn, so YES it is very very possible.

The thing is people use their horns for no reason. Let me ask u, [size=15pt]what do u gain from honking ur horn at the person in front of u in a slow moving traffic when it is obvious that person has no where to go to. Do u expect him to jump or disappear from the road so u can pass. Even if he manages to 'disappear', the person in front of him and the person in front of the person in front of him Will not.[/size]

The most annoying shh ever!

So irritating, sometimes they will bust a dangerous move to overtake you in slow traffic, only to be stuck right in front of you.

If government was serious about traffic in Lagos and in Nigeria, they would pay the UTMOST attention to enforcement that goes beyond checking for cell phones, seat belts, and this once in a year horn thing. Isn't it obvious that there are psychopaths on the road? Psychopaths that never went to driving school, never went for driving test and are ALLOWED to get on the road by the government with absolutely no enforcement whatsoever to make such psychopaths pay for their errors in driving.

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by abatically(m): 11:27am On Oct 15, 2014
UnimkeAk:

Advanced countries my foot!

Im not talking about using it indiscriminately but when necessary, they are a lot of mad people on the road you know.

As you are driving 2day Sir, when a situation that needs you to make use your horn comes up, don't use.

Even in some people deserted villages, u will have to blow your horn for chickens and goats, talkless of a city.

I still stand on my words
It is impossible for the whole population not to blare their horns.

U still don't get it. The campaign is to reduce the rate we use horns unnecessarily, not to totally erradicate the use of horns. Horns are installed in cars for a reason. Today is horn free day, I am not using my horns. But if a car in front of me is reversing and I notice he is about to hit me, I will use my horn to caution him. That doesn't mean I am breaking the rules.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 15, 2014
oathman:
really
u must be kidding me, HORN FREE DAY?
The other day i heard of no bra day, and now horn free day shocked
very soon we will hear something like NO CRIME DAY, NO PANT DAY shocked
The world is really going mad
lol. Well said ooo...it aint gonna wrk nw, wat were dey even thinking
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by nikkyshyne(f): 11:31am On Oct 15, 2014
Thank God I am on leave.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Kylekent59: 11:37am On Oct 15, 2014
We dey use horn dey greet here ooo
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 15, 2014
As far as am concerned this declaration is norin buh a BIG JOKE...
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 15, 2014
Igando/Ikotun.. The drivers here don't know aboour ut your 'Humphrey' day o
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by gloryaaa(f): 11:42am On Oct 15, 2014
Going well in Ikeja Buh 4 k2 no way noise of aye...even wen I wanted 2 cross in Ikeja vehicles stopped 4 me was feeling like a boss surprised sha.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Ologunjude(m): 11:43am On Oct 15, 2014
Drove out today in Ajao Estate which is my hood. The horn from Okada was crazy. God help us.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by RFella(m): 11:43am On Oct 15, 2014
"Horn" kor, "Hot" ni...
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Tex42(m): 11:54am On Oct 15, 2014
this is not possible,not even in sambisa forest,let alone Lagos?.

if this one happen,i go change ma name to Joseph.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by infinitty(m): 11:54am On Oct 15, 2014
today's horn pass other days sef
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by abrahym(m): 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
I blew horn tire today, can't help it
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by dustydee: 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
deor03:

I agree on the intimidation part but flashing of full light is NOT a traffic offence anywhere in the UK
I wasn't sure hence my use of the word "MAY". And for the avoidance of doubt, it is actually not an offece.

Flashing headlights: Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UjSizzle(f): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
I'm listening to a frigging orchestra in Surulere grin

You just can't make this work in Lagos (or anywhere for that matter).
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by aby1976(m): 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
Am at alagomeji. No blasting of horns as usual. Even danfo drivers said they love it like that today that they are complying. Chai. I love this peaceful environment
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Dosoq(f): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
O boy,u nid 2 come 2 Alausa secretariat,E be like Graveyard,I dint hear a single horn during my 30 mins of being @ d b/stop,despite d long traffic,no horn oo,come see as LASTMA dey patrol on bike,no b small mata o,"d fear of LASTMA is d beginning of wisdom in lasgidis"
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by kingvicking(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
sibepoc:
Nigerians no dey hear word, I'm hearing horns here at Egbeda

You nko, watin you be? American or Ghana Must Go?
Me no hear horn here o, na trumpet I dey hear, because this ones loud like kilode
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by kingvicking(m): 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
austinbrown:
Not possible, so if I horn wetin go happen

Nofin is impossible, just that they did not embark on enlightenment campaign about it
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Bode2: 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
gloryaaa:
Going well in Ikeja Buh 4 k2 no way noise of aye...even wen I wanted 2 cross in Ikeja vehicles stopped 4 me was feeling like a boss surprised sha.
Hi, just wanna meet you.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by cmecproblem(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
Even if lagosians comply what about the interstate commercial buses who are not aware of this
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by akinladejo: 12:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
pussyaddict:
Who declared a horn-free day? What's the origin, d person must be unrealistic to think such a law can gain grounds in a place like lagos when e no possible even for village

Ve u been to UK b4? If u ve u will realise u can drive in d whole day without u horning or u hearing horn. So is possible is just to start from some where

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos Of Obanikoro With Oluremi Tinubu & Other APC Members In Lagos Today / Governor Ayade Exempts The Poor From Taxes / Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.