Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,240 members, 7,815,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

"Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? (36761 Views)

Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust / 2015 Jonathan Rally: Enugu State Government Declares Thursday Work-free Day / Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by persius555(m): 10:30am On Oct 15, 2014
I dey inside toilet, i still dey hear horns blaring outside.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by blackprowler: 10:34am On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

My guy it is very safe. They are not trying to say the horn should not be used at all, but it should only be used when absolutely necessary, that is the moral. People in Nigeria use their horns as if it is a toy, unnecessarily. The world would be a better place when people start driving with their mind open and not by honking their horns every second. U hear people blazing horns in traffic, at hospitals, in schools and estates. This is an enlightenment to let people know it is possible to drive without the horn, I do it several times.

We keep saying Nigeria is bad, yet when we go to other countries we abide by their rules. I have driven for 3 months outside Nigeria without using my horn and I can tell u it was so peaceful . So why can't we do the same thing in our own country.

Because we're not up to that level. Anyone that thinks people in all nations are on equal footing and hence must behave the same simply doesn't understand why Nigeria doesn't work. They're the ones most likely to blame government. Develop the minds of the people and society will develop and they will always get a quality government

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 15, 2014
Lagos horn free day...like seriously?. undecided
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Tunjman(m): 10:35am On Oct 15, 2014
Today is Horn Free day in Lagos but all I can see around are crazy and daring commercial bus drivers honking their horn like it's Free Horn day...‪#‎EkoONiBajeO‬
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by slimmingcare(f): 10:35am On Oct 15, 2014
There is no change in my area.I do not think there is going to be on a day like this because our roads are getting worse daily!
God bless Nigeria
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by JOXY(f): 10:37am On Oct 15, 2014
Horn Free Day
Not for Illiterates
Talk from today till tomorrow
They will not understand

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:37am On Oct 15, 2014
Gooci:

noted sir... shocked
k
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by raphy(m): 10:40am On Oct 15, 2014
nothing like that can happen in lasgidi na for una dream.d government of lagos suppose to put some people along the road yesterdaywi that will remove all d horns in the cars before d day.

*Piiiiioi*

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by brainey: 10:41am On Oct 15, 2014
whirlwind7:

The answers to your first 2 questions are yes and yes. May seem unbelievable, but if you have ever lived for a period of time outside Nigeria, you will understand.
The enlightenment part is what I can't vouch for, but if LASG can keep this up, perhaps even dedicate one day in every month to observe a "no horn" day, the trend will gradually catch up, until it becomes a part of the diving culture here.

The key word is PATIENCE.
Many people tap the horn button for no good reasons: saying hello to a friend while driving by, trying to get the attention of roadside hawkers, letting the driver ahead of you know that he's too slow for your liking...the list is as endless as it is unnecessary. Almost everyone on Lagos roads go through moments of madness between the hours of 6am till 11am, then from 5pm till about 10pm. We are all in a hurry to get to work, and then get home afterwards. These irritating horn sounds peak within these periods and it can be very annoying.

Dis guy mumu ooo!......u in your wildest dream compared lag and abroad cities?.........tell me what looks like abroad in d 'beautified' lagos....for e.g in the UK where horns are customarily reserved for X-mas n new year,unless during emergencies,they have good and obeyable traffic rules.when yu break a rule,yu re jailed or pay a fine,having bn charged to court!unlike d omotas in all forms of uniforms!.........in australia,u can't find a pot-hole anyway but there are patched roads!infact,they still use wooden power-lines but yu can't b held up by traffic anywhere....so,bro,tell me how yu will drive frm ogba to ijora to ijora w/out horning!
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by komek(m): 10:41am On Oct 15, 2014
Obinoscopy:
Is it possible? Is it even safe? Was there enough enlightenment? These are the questions rummaging through my mind.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Aringon(m): 10:41am On Oct 15, 2014
Gooci:
As we all know, today, Oct. 15, 2014 is a horn-free day in Lagos state. Am currently at ojuelegba, 4.am and I keep hearing the blast of horns as usual.

What's the situation like at your place;

Can we truly do without blastin our horns in Lagos?

I was in a bus sitting by the driver and asked him, if he can drive without using the horn and he said yes. Within 3 seconds, the man blasted the horn. It is possible to drive without hooting the horn IF and ONLY IF, the campaign will continue until it settles in the minds of our people
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Candyrain(m): 10:41am On Oct 15, 2014
The horning this morning no get rival at the Eastern Heartland Owerri
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Olawaleslimfit(m): 10:43am On Oct 15, 2014
At Ijesha road, otun oba bus stop, motorists, especially okada riders are just using the buttons of their horn to compose different songs......

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Temptee101(m): 10:43am On Oct 15, 2014
Most of the commercial buses previously without horns will definitely fix them esp for this so-called horn free thing
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by yhemini: 10:44am On Oct 15, 2014
my friend and I observed dis on d way to work, we drove from mainland to d island and we didn't use d horn. I also noticed dat d compliant rate was really encouraging apart from some stupid idiotic OLOKADAs. I will say d compliant rate is 80%.

This is really nice from lagosian. when I saw d news for horn free day last week, I LMFAOL thinking in lagos dis can never be achieved, but I was really marvelled at how people complied even on 3rd mainland bridge.

its our impatience that cause us to blast horns most of d time. if we can just be a little bit patient(I know its hard sometimes smiley ) we will have less accidents on the road.

KUDOS LASGIDI!!!
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 15, 2014
I'm was the bus park, and the 'agbero' "in-charge" walks up to the driver to remind him that there is no hooting today. Impressive....

But just before we were about to make a turn, a lady used her horn. The driver shouted back at her, "you no hear say make you no use horn, idiot!"

All the way it has been very quite. Eko oni baje. I've counted jst 7 hoots. I'm impressed.
Well, still counting. Perhaps, it because I'm in front of Lagos State secretariat.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by PAnaceA7(m): 10:51am On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

First of all, the traffic in NYC is more alarming than in Lagos. Even Los Angeles, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing and gouzhou China has worse traffics and yet people abide by the rules. Zhengzhou city has over 220 million registered cars. I have driven in Lagos for weeks without using my horn, so YES it is very very possible.

The thing is people use their horns for no reason. Let me ask u, what do u gain from honking ur horn at the person in front of u in a slow moving traffic when it is obvious that person has no where to go to. Do u expect him to jump or disappear from the road so u can pass. Even if he manages to 'disappear', the person in front of him and the person in front of the person in front of him Will not.
@ bolded really... Yea there are dose who use it for the most silliest of reason but dat is not enough to declare horn free day.... It's not everything we copy.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by jaggedboi(m): 10:53am On Oct 15, 2014
Waoh,d calmness while cars,lorries etc pass in front of my shop is .......I'm out of words.
I'm just scared of tomorrow......they'd back with d horns.......
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by nex(m): 10:54am On Oct 15, 2014
It is actually happening right now in Lagos. The #LagosHornFreeDay is being observed even by Danfo Drivers. The Okada Riders are the worst violators, however, violation is actually quite minimal.

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by DECOtech(m): 10:55am On Oct 15, 2014
sibepoc:
Nigerians no dey hear word, I'm hearing horns here at Egbeda
Flenti flenti I de hear am fo Hia!
Egbeda I be crazy place
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by one4GOD(f): 10:55am On Oct 15, 2014
i even heared more horn honking this morning than any other. Before you can impose such on the people, the government aught to put things right first. Not even with most of the trailers on the road without brake, bad road, smoky vehicles and also 'gbamgbamdimdim' musik you hear from music advertisers by the road sides. If people truly heed to this it will only cause more road accidents and deaths than you ever imagined.... my 50cents

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by iamdjtune: 10:57am On Oct 15, 2014
Music: Tyga – 40 Mill http://www..com/music-tyga-40-mill
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by gede7744(f): 11:00am On Oct 15, 2014
have forgotten self
am at orile let me observe if l will hear one

ok back.

d motor l entered from Badagry to mile2 was just blowing horn any how. u know many drivers in Lagos are either deaf or dumb or all of d above

on my way back home, trailers can't help but blow their horn because of......... u know
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Korrection(m): 11:01am On Oct 15, 2014
The op asked for situation report and everybody here is talking rubbish even the ones that's living in sokoto...nigerians failing exams since 20AD..

3 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Paentera(m): 11:01am On Oct 15, 2014
Many Nigerians have a short memory. The sort of comments we have on here today explaining why it can never be possible are the types that trailed the introduction of seat belts a few years ago. These days, even Danfo drivers ask passengers in front to strap up. It takes a while to change public habits especially those types that relate to bad driving habits, but where introduced gradually, it certainly catches up and everyone gets involved.

I encourage the LASG to introduce this at least 1ce every month for the first six months of 2015 and then 1ce a week for the last six months of 2015. By 2016, many Lagosians will be familiar with not honking for every necessary reason under the sun and will have learned how to catch their breath while driving and being calm. Of course there will be the misfits but I am certain they will be negligible.

I tried my best possible not to honk this morning and cos my drive to the office is rather short (three minutes max), most of those driving around didn't horn (not many cars)

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UnimkeAk(m): 11:04am On Oct 15, 2014
dustydee:

It is very possible sir. The horn was not intended for use the way we use it in Nigeria. In advanced countries, it is a traffic offence to use the horn indiscriminately especially in residential areas. You are only allowed to use the horn to draw the attention of other road users to you if you percieve that they cannot see you and may hit your car(maybe while reversing or entering a road). To say it is not possible is not entirely correct.

Advanced countries my foot!

Im not talking about using it indiscriminately but when necessary, they are a lot of mad people on the road you know.

As you are driving 2day Sir, when a situation that needs you to make use your horn comes up, don't use.

Even in some people deserted villages, u will have to blow your horn for chickens and goats, talkless of a city.

I still stand on my words
It is impossible for the whole population not to blare their horns.

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Abdulhafis00: 11:05am On Oct 15, 2014
Am at epe nw nd as u guys no dat epe is a cool place, so d horn free day make tinx more cool..d stuffs is real makin sense here... cool
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by lwise(m): 11:06am On Oct 15, 2014
Dont mind Fashola,all the commercial buses were blasting the horn as they like.
Horn free day is not what we want,we want LASTMA to be effective in their duties.
You will see them at bus stops watching yellow buses causing serious traffic under their
watchful eyes without doing anything.

THIS PLOT OF LAND (120 FEETS BY 120 FEETS) IS NOT FOR SALE.

BEWARE OF MY SON SEUN

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Obasanjo Photographed By TY Bello / Dele Momodu Criticized For Using 7 Phones. See His Response / Police Officer Storms Uyo Court With Armed Policemen, Snatches His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.