Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

"Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? (36751 Views)

Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust / 2015 Jonathan Rally: Enugu State Government Declares Thursday Work-free Day / Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
armadeo:

How do you anticipate a mad man driving a danfo. He trafigates left and makes a sharp right turn.

A good driver expects everyone to do the wrong thing. That's what I do, and I am never surprised. And I've never been in an accident in my 9 years of driving.

3 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by kay29000(m): 4:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
Gooci:
As we all know, today, Oct. 15, 2014 is a horn-free day in Lagos state. Am currently at ojuelegba, 4.am and I keep hearing the blast of horns as usual.

What's the situation like at your place;

Can we truly do without blastin our horns in Lagos?

Even if there was enough enlightenment on this, it would still have been technically impossible to follow, because it is already a part of Lagos drivers to hunk their horns unnecessarily. It has become like a reflex action...something embedded in the subconscious mind of most drivers in Lagos.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UnimkeAk(m): 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2014
swezenberg:

It is because you have never left Nigeria grin

See this one.

Come and receive a medal nau, for leaving the country like it is a big deal.

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
Data plan made easier,call me or chat me up on this line for your CHEAP MTN AND INTERNET DATA PLAN on this line on 08091509695
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UnimkeAk(m): 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

Take a trip outside the country and I will enjoy the noiseless environment. People drive for weeks or even months without using their horn, in fact is some places it is a traffic offence to use ur horn unnecessarily.

Oga stop quoting me.

What is it.?
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Paentera(m): 4:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
Paentera:
Many Nigerians have a short memory. The sort of comments we have on here today explaining why it can never be possible are the types that trailed the introduction of seat belts a few years ago. These days, even Danfo drivers ask passengers in front to strap up. It takes a while to change public habits especially those types that relate to bad driving habits, but where introduced gradually, it certainly catches up and everyone gets involved.

I encourage the LASG to introduce this at least 1ce every month for the first six months of 2015 and then 1ce a week for the last six months of 2015. By 2016, many Lagosians will be familiar with not honking for every necessary reason under the sun and will have learned how to catch their breath while driving and being calm. Of course there will be the misfits but I am certain they will be negligible.

I tried my best possible not to honk this morning and cos my drive to the office is rather short (three minutes max), most of those driving around didn't horn (not many cars)

Update to my post from earlier on in the day:

2.45pm - I drove along Awolowo Way Ikeja and turned off to Kudirat Abiola Road (formerly Oregun Road) - the observation was that many drivers drove cautiously to avoid a situation where they needed to horn. I will say I was amazed most especially by the commercial buses as none I drove pass till I got to Ojota honked

3.00pm - I made a u-turn at the Ojota end of Kudirat Abiola Rd and my the garage was devoid of honking only blaring of music from speakers were heard. All along the road till I took a detour by the road near Christ Embassy linking to Billings Way via Neimeth Plc to join Secreteriat Avenue and till I got to Ikeja City Mall, I can confirm that I only heard the horn once - mine! grin (Some dude in my front was staring at a babe as we turned off Kudirat Abiola way) I quickly pinched myself to behave. cool cool cool

3.20pm - I headed out of Alausa area back towards Ikeja Under Bridge via Awolowo Way and once again, something was obvious, not once was a horn honked, instead, many drove cautiously. The roads were relatively free during this duration I was on the road and it made me wonder if there is any correlation between a more relaxed, non-aggressive and cautious style of driving and less traffic congestion. Till I got back to my destination, I probably heard a horn about 2 or 3 times asides mine.

I daresay the LASG should encourage Lagosians to set aside this No Horn directive to be a more regular affair till residents get used to it and call for it to be made a way of life. I did enjoy my stress free driving this afternoon and believe LASG will not only pull this seeming impossibility off, but it will be a model for many other cities in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by philantoxx(m): 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
almost thought today was judgement day.d way these trumpets sounded 2day.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by leighcon(m): 4:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
^^And that is it right there......

I have been driving for 17 years, the last eight mostly in Lagos.

My testimony; I do not use the horn indiscriminately, I do not struggle for road unnecessarily, I do not trying to close gap when another vehicle indicates intention to switch to my lane and I have not had a single scratch on my vehicle as a result of road struggles or skirmish.

Yes, it is same Lagos and I do Island to Mainland daily. I kind of do those without stress.

I have a colleague who gets bashed week in week out yet he uses his horn like he paid money to buy it.

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by kessco(m): 4:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
It's going on well here on the Island. The situation here is impressive I must say.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 15, 2014
the horn along ogba ikeja to orile agege is so loud....makes my gf horn:y
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Lawalemi(m): 5:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
After my staff bus pilot have blown several rounds enroute office today.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Ayatullah(m): 5:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
akinladejo:

Ve u been to UK b4? If u ve u will realise u can drive in d whole day without u horning or u hearing horn. So is possible is just to start from some where

PULL OVER
!
Mr. UK, sorry, akinladejo, please answer the following questions:
*Are the streets of Lagos well laid out as that of London?
*Do we have hawkers competing with vehicles on London road?
*Can you compare the road worthiness of Lagos vehicles with those in London?
*Can you compare the educational status of London drivers with those in Nigeria?
*Can you compare the traffic lighting system in London with those in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Pamcrest(f): 6:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
I had just reminded my driver about it as he was reversing out of the house, only for him to crank d horn loudly. When I exclaimed in protest, he told me a driver must horn when reversing.... shocked shocked
I'm now wondering if I have d right person driving me ooo. But I don't think today I heard as much honking as I used to
My humble submission
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
What about those u just horn to respond to music that they were listening to?
Like......
Psquare o.
Busy body ehhhhhh...
Then horn will come in
O oo ooooo o (pin pin pin pin pippin pin pin)

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
Pamcrest:
I had just reminded my driver about it as he was reversing out of the house, only for him to crank d horn loudly. When I exclaimed in protest, he told me a driver must horn when reversing.... shocked shocked
I'm now wondering if I have d right person driving me ooo. But I don't think today I heard as much honking as I used to
My humble submission

Now that you mention it, horning in Nigeria is sometimes a matter of safety. My uncle was driving me in a rural area, and he always honked as he rounded a bend in the road, because the bushes and trees block one's vision, and I had observed drivers frequently driving on the wrong side of the road. My uncle used his horn to alert oncoming drivers that he was approaching, so they wouldn't come speeding around the curve and crash into us.

Many of these driving behaviors are due to other factors, like unenforced traffic laws, and sharing the road with unlicensed motorists. So, drivers have to create their own rules to protect themselves.

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Leboska(m): 6:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
[quote author=Tinubu post=27156100] >: Lol! This your funny pix i don laff tire. Kai you funny ooo
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by jauntty: 6:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Today was funny and I was also very impressed. I boarded a commercial bus from Ogba to Ojudu after work, and the driver didn't horn even once. Not even with the traffic and evening rush. The funny aspect was when a keke tried to maneuver around our bus, the conductor bang the door while the driver shouted and say "u tank God say Fasola say make we nor horn 2day". We all laughed instead the bus.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Cool: 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
I'm back home now and I'm proud to say that we didn't use the horn at all.

Okay, okay, full disclosures....... I didn't drive but I was very impressed by the fact that my driver was determined not to use his horn and was very patient and calm. Infact, when we got to my street, I just started applauding him. A whole day without honking.

I'm going to try it soon, with me at the wheels. Oh God help me o!!

In my opinion, the important thing is that an awareness has been created. The mixed reviews don't surprise me, infact 100% adherence would have been scary (I'd have been on the lookout for aliens!).

Up Lagos! Up Up Lagosians. We did it!!!

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Gorgeous58(f): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lagos wey gather law breaking drivers
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by eshope(m): 7:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
I advise these exercises should be repeated monthly cos our LAGOS bus driver don deaf already they still use the HORN today... grin grin
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by swezenberg(m): 8:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
UnimkeAk:

See this one.

Come and receive a medal nau, for leaving the country like it is a big deal.

You know know and person wan enlighten you, you still dey do yanga. Ignorance is worse than Ebola if you don't know.

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UnimkeAk(m): 4:09pm
abatically:

Take a trip outside the country and I will enjoy the noiseless environment. People drive for weeks or even months without using their horn, in fact is some places it is a traffic offence to use ur horn unnecessarily.

Oga stop quoting me.

What is it.?

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by abatically(m): 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ayatullah:

PULL OVER
!
*Can you compare the educational status of London drivers with those in Nigeria?

Ayatullah:

Don't be surprised that lots of streets in the UK are actually narrower than many streets in Lagos, yet people drive with high level of sanity.

Ayatullah:

This is a lame excuse. It is not on every roads in Lagos we have hawkers, but still drivers see their horns as a toy and honk it unnecessarily. Some even honk their horn to rhyme with the music they are listening to in their car stereo.

Ayatullah:

Road worthiness of vehicles have nothing to do with unnecessary use of horns. How do u explain being in a slow moving traffic and the car behind u is honking aggressively at u when he knows u have no where to go to, maybe he expects u to jump over the traffic or disappear from the road so he can go through. Let's say u manage to get out of his way, what about the car in front of u and the car in front of the car in front of u? Does that have anything to do with car's road worthiness or just share stupidity.

Ayatullah:

Isn't this the reason for the HORN FREE DAY? To create awareness for road users on the proper way to use their horns. Or do u expect the Government to send every driver to school to learn driving ethics? We start from somewhere and when people like u cannot adhere to a simple thing as horn free day, then how can u learn other driving ethics? Later u will say Nigeria is bad. And in case u don't know, there are lots of educated and intelligent drivers in Nigeria.

Ayatullah:

Another lame excuse. Did London become the county it is overnight? It took years of hardwork not just from the Government but also from the citizens. Traffic lighting system has little to do with the rate we use horns in Nigeria. Does using horns in a slow moving traffic have anything to do with traffic light? And how does playing tune with horn have anything to do with traffic light? Its high time we citizens do the right thing, little by little we will get there. We can't just fold our hands and say 'CAN U COMPARE NIGERIA TO UK? ,

Left for me I would suggest government set out one day every month or every 2 months as horn free day just like sanitation day.

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UnimkeAk(m): 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
swezenberg:

You know know and person wan enlighten you, you still dey do yanga. Ignorance is worse than Ebola if you don't know.

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by UnimkeAk(m): 4:09pm
abatically:

Oga stop quoting me.

What is it.?

You again?

What is it?

Wetin d do u sef?

Guy make u no see me 4 ur dream oh#

Stop quoting me..

U're d ignorant 1 here.

I'm nt an advocate of indiscriminate blaring of horns.
If u saw my 2nd post on this thread.
I still maintain my stand that a no horn day, in a city like lagos is foolish and won't work, as u hv already noticed.

I don't give a fu*k If the cars in wherever (u've not been out of the country "country" u guys are always talking about..maybe Somalia) doesn't fu*king come with horns.

All this u hv not left the country pple on nairaland.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by efilefun(m): 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
from iyana ipaja to sango this afternoon there was no horn at all there was even a big banner at the busstop and I could hear conductors shouting at drivers cuz they believed that's another avenue for policemen to extort them

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
UnimkeAk:

What is it.?

Hmm
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
UnimkeAk:

All this u hv not left the country pple on nairaland.

Hmm
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ayatullah:

PULL OVER
!

In Lagos. You would see cars backing out of roads into intersection and I am expected not to horn or the okada men that pull stunts in front of you. Or horn to notify drivers that don't understand the concept of right of way. It's a good idea but there are lots that need to be done first most importantly revamping how drivers licenses are being dished out and drivers education. Drivers should be retested and relicensed.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by psp2pc(m): 10:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
the kind way people go press horn tomorrow.
they will join the honking wey dem miss today to tomorrow own.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Pamcrest(f): 10:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

Now that you mention it, horning in Nigeria is sometimes a matter of safety. My uncle was driving me in a rural area, and he always honked as he rounded a bend in the road, because the bushes and trees block one's vision, and I had observed drivers frequently driving on the wrong side of the road. My uncle used his horn to alert oncoming drivers that he was approaching, so they wouldn't come speeding around the curve and crash into us.

Many of these driving behaviors are due to other factors, like unenforced traffic laws, and sharing the road with unlicensed motorists. So, drivers have to create their own rules to protect themselves.

Yeah I see yr point. Of course d horn must be used when absolutely necessary, that's why it was put there in d first place. The problem is the indiscriminate use by many naija drivers....d most annoying being d buses, taxis n okadas looking for passengers. What I observed today shows that with persistence n determination, we can actually achieve a no-horn Lagos.
My humble submission
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by GenOrumov: 10:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
armadeo:

How do you anticipate a mad man driving a danfo. He trafigates left and makes a sharp right turn.
Since you know its a danfo and they can't do without making sudden stops on the road, ensure there is a gap like 2-3 metres (so as to enable you manoeuvre you way out when they obstruct your own movement) and not getting too close to them especially when you are approaching a bus stop because you know that they would always stop at every bus stop.

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by express101: 7:08am On Oct 16, 2014
blackprowler:
Our so-called leaders have no clue. This is Fashola's lagos now, not just any state. They see developed countries do something and they rush here to copy. They don't realise that for the society to be as you see it abroad, the most ordinary man has to be enlightened and civilised enough to know he's a part of society and participate. I've told them: it will take generations to achieve if you start to work on our education system NOW. But they don't want that. They want everything to happen in their lifetimes; indeed within the few years they're in office. Hence we're not going anywhere.
I bet many people can't connect what I just wrote with what's being talked about. I tell you: THAT'S WHAT I'm TALKING ABOUT!

I see where u are coming from, but I beg to differ. It did not take generations for everybody to start wearing seat belts. Psychologists say it takes 21days to imbibe a habit

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Reactions As JJ Omojuwa Posts Peter Obi's Campaign Poster / Wild Cheers As Peter Obi Attends Soludo’s First Anniversary Event (Video) / Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.