Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (699000 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:53am On Feb 10, 2016
terzurum5:
[size=14pt]
Norwegian club reject Chinese €1.5 million bid for Leke James
[/size]

Leke James will be staying put at Norwegian club Aalesund

Norwegian club Aalesund have rejected a €1.5 million offer from China for Nigeria striker Leke James.

The Kaduna-born striker said his club of four years turned down the staggering offer from a Chinese club and it now looks like he will feature for the team at least till the summer.

"It's seems I will play for Aalesund this season because they turned down an offer of 1.5 million Euros from a club in China," James disclosed

The 23-year-old striker, who has been capped by Nigeria at U20 level, has scored 37 goals in 89 league matches for Aalesund since 2012.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/609996/Norwegian-club-reject-Chinese-15-million-bid-for-Leke-James

Their mates are buying players for 40 million they wan come bring simple 1.5 haba.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 12:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
enomakos:
did't you know the italian league is the toughest and most difficult in the world?
Udinese will thrash watford trust me

Bros, where did you get that? Are you referring to the Italian league of 90s or that of 2015? If it is for this decade, you will need to provide citations before we continue.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:25pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hey guys! Celebrate with me as I welcome a new member of my household.Our God is Faithful! cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by bigblangston: 2:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:
Hey guys! Celebrate with me as I welcome a new member of my household.Our God is Faithful! cheesy
congratulations!!! God has sent a solution to Nigeria's football problems.. #little messi#

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 3:00pm On Feb 10, 2016
enomakos:
did't you know the italian league is the toughest and most difficult in the world?

Not true...

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 3:01pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:03pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Such wonderful news. Congratulations. So happy for you!

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 4:19pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:
congrats Baba Icon4s.
*Naming ceremony preparation on point*
can't wait to come chop some Catfish...
...mmhmm... Which name should I give the child ooo?
Let me just hold on.
Egbon omo ni a je o.*smiles*

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Deyinbo: 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2016
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 5:08pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Congrats bro ....papa Lewandowski

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Congratulation very good news!!!!

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:39pm On Feb 10, 2016
Naaah..... Not anymore. That was during the times and periods of Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Costa Curta, George Weah, Jaap Stam, Andriy Shevchenko, Marco Van Basten, Francesco Toldo, Gabriel Batistuta, Maradona and Napoli, Alvaro Recoba, Ronaldo Nazario De Lima, And some others.

Today, I believe the English League holds that title as the most difficult and toughest.

#smiles

P.S: Watford, right now, is just too strong for Udinese. I even doubt if teams like AFC Bournemouth, who are below them on the current EPL standings, will fall to Udinese.

enomakos:

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:48pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hmm.... Wow! Congrats Sir "Baba Experience"....

Baby Icon is born... I consider "Parenthood" the toughest task in the world..... Even more tasking than Brain Surgery. #smiles

Make sure the child collected his/her "colustrum diet". Congrats...

Icon4s:

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:35pm On Feb 10, 2016
Obinna Nwobodo is BACK!!!!!!!!!!
.........................................................................................

NWOBODO RETURNS IN STYLE AFTER LONG
INJURY LAYOFF

Nigeria U20 international Obinna Nwobodo scored as Enugu Rangers defeated Abia Comets 3-1 in a pre-season game in Enugu on Wednesday.

Nwobodo, who suffered a serious knee injury at the
final of the African Youth Championship last March,
came off the bench to score for Rangers.
He played for 35minutes and capped it with a superb third goal for his team.
The exciting midfielder needed surgery in Doha,
Qatar, to return to action.

Rangers other goals were by Godwin Aguda and
former Enyimba striker Chimezie Amanfor.

africanfootball.com//news/610320/Nwobodo-returns-in-style-after-long-injury-layoff

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:02pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Congratulations. Coach Oliseh should give this one a call up for the games against Egypt. We thank God for his faithfulness.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:06pm On Feb 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Obinna Nwobodo is BACK!!!!!!!!!!
.........................................................................................

NWOBODO RETURNS IN STYLE AFTER LONG
INJURY LAYOFF

Nigeria U20 international Obinna Nwobodo scored as Enugu Rangers defeated Abia Comets 3-1 in a pre-season game in Enugu on Wednesday.

Nwobodo, who suffered a serious knee injury at the
final of the African Youth Championship last March,
came off the bench to score for Rangers.
The exciting midfielder needed surgery in Doha,
Qatar, to return to action.

Rangers other goals were by Godwin Aguda and
former Enyimba striker Chimezie Amanfor.

africanfootball.com//news/610320/Nwobodo-returns-in-style-after-long-injury-layoff

Glad to have the young Super Star back. Did you say Doha? Surgery in Doha, Qatar. See levels. Nwobodo, you used style to enjoy.

Glad to have you back.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Glad to have the young Super Star back. Did you say Doha? Surgery in Doha, Qatar. See levels. Nwobodo, you used style to enjoy.

Glad to have you back.

Send ur thank you notes to uselessnff.com lol.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Send ur thank you notes to uselessnff.com lol.

If they do good, I will hail them. If they do wrong, I will speak against it.

I praised Coach Oliseh for his well Coached game against the Niger team. I criticised him for the defensive and negative approach in the game against Guinea.

Just as if the NFF helps Emem in his case, I will praise them for it. Remember, they are funded by the Federal government and if they do not protect our rising stars, who will?

Or, do you want me to praise the NFF for owing Coach Keshi for months, not paying him when his contract ended and then, allowing him coach without a contract for months.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:16pm On Feb 10, 2016
Wow! I appreciate all d congratulatory messages here and phone calls. Thanks a lot guys. My 2 older children are also saying thanks to u guys (yes they read all ur messages).

For all those calling her little Messi, Lewandowski and those asking Oliseh to invite her for Egypt, my girl no go near football o. Na miss Nigeria things i go groom her for. wink
And for those talking abt catfish: Catfish pepper soup aplenty @ her naming ceremony next week.

One love. U guys are part of my family indeed.
I will soon b back with my football commentaries. Let me finish with d paternal needfuls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 11:02pm On Feb 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Congratulations!, Lovely.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:20am On Feb 11, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If they do good, I will hail them. If they do wrong, I will speak against it.

I praised Coach Oliseh for his well Coached game against the Niger team. I criticised him for the defensive and negative approach in the game against Guinea.

Just as if the NFF helps Emem in his case, I will praise them for it. Remember, they are funded by the Federal government and if they do not protect our rising stars, who will?

Or, do you want me to praise the NFF for owing Coach Keshi for months, not paying him when his contract ended and then, allowing him coach without a contract for months.

Emem Eduok was asked in an office and was shown a proposal. He said no and was allowed to leave, so what do u want the nff to do? There is no money, saying it a thousand times won't change nothing. This is about building a brand if we can't generate money we will waste this golden generation and scandalizing the nff is not helping matters. Look at nike, now it seem our players were not washing jerseys as was put in the press.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:06am On Feb 11, 2016
Never knew this was in the works.

No Valencia Move For Granada Striker Isaac Success

Suggestions that Nigeria youth-teamer Isaac Success may be departing Granada in the winter transfer market are out of topic.

Reports that emanated from Spain have claimed that Valencia and a club in China are interested in the acquisition of the former Golden Eaglets sensation but that information has been seriously disputed by a source close to the player.

“Isaac Success is not going to Valencia or any club in China. They did not contact us, it is a wrong story. He is not leaving Granada in January, ” said the unnamed source to allnigeriasoccer.com.

Atlético Madrid, Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain have recently made enquiries about the availability of the BJ Foundation product but the Andalusian club turned down their approach.

The 20 - year - old Success has recorded 45 appearances for the first team of Granada across all competitions since he made his competitive debut.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:15am On Feb 11, 2016
This was last year.

Granada beat 10-man Udinese

By Football Italia staff

Udinese were beaten 2-0 by Granada in a Pozzo family derby, but Danilo and Stefano Colantuono were sent off.

Both clubs are owned by the Pozzo family, who also control Watford FC in the English Premier League, so this was like an in-house encounter.

Nonetheless, it was an ill-tempered affair at the Nuevo Los Carmenes to decide the Trofeo Diputacion.

Manuel Iturra is one of many players who moved between these sides and faced his former teammates just days after making the transfer.

Similarly, Nico Lopez was on the Granada bench, on loan from Udinese.

Youssef El Arabi nodded a corner wide and Ali Adnan needed a goal-line clearance to deny Piti’s volley from another set play.

Granada took first blood on the counter-attack, El Arabi’s dummy letting a Ruben Rochina pass through for Robert Ibanez at the back post.

Orestis Karnezis kept out a smart El Arabi back-heel flick, but when Udinese did find the net, Cyril Thereau was offside.

This was no friendly and Danilo took his protests too far during the half-time break, earning himself a red card. Coach Colantuono followed soon after the restart, again for dissent.

Piti incredibly ballooned over from close range and Karnezis performed a stunning save on El Arabi, but he was beaten by Jhon Cordoba’s header on a cross from the aptly named Isaac Success.

Granada 2-0 Udinese

Scorers: Robert 22, Cordoba 73

Granada: Andres (Oier 68); Salva Ruiz (Miguel Lopes 77), Mainz (Uche Agbo 68), Babin, Foulquier (Martins 77); Rochina (Edgar 60), Fran Rico (Success 68), Javi Marquez (Khrin 60), Robert (Ruben Perez 68); Piti (Nico Lopez 77), El Arabi (Cordoba 60)

Udinese: Karnezis; Heurtaux (Neuton 79), Danilo, Piris (Wague 46); Edenilson (Widmer 46), Kone (Fernandes 46), Iturra (Guilherme 46), Badu (Merkel 70), Ali Adnan (Ali Adnan 75); Thereau (Pinzi 66), Zapata (Aguirre 60)

Sent off: Danilo 45 (U)
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:22am On Feb 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Emem Eduok was asked in an office and was shown a proposal. He said no and was allowed to leave, so what do u want the nff to do? There is no money, saying it a thousand times won't change nothing. This is about building a brand if we can't generate money we will waste this golden generation and scandalizing the nff is not helping matters. Look at nike, now it seem our players were not washing jerseys as was put in the press.

Esperance did not release his passport for him to travel because they want him to sign the Saudi Arabian deal. What part of this do you not understand?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:52am On Feb 11, 2016
Icon4s:

Congratulations Sir. We thank God for this new gift.

I pray he/she plays for our nationals teams. Have you considered this too? Pls buy football for him/her in waiting.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:31pm On Feb 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
SIASIA TO NIGERIANS: Dream Team VI ‘ll be super
[/size]
One of the Assistant coaches of the Dream Team VI, Monday Odigie has assured football loving Nigerians that the head coach of the team, Samson Siasia has concluded plans to mould a formidable team that will make Nigeria proud at this year’s Olympics Football Tournament in Rio, Brazil.

The former Golden Eaglets head coach who also assited Siasia when the Flying Eagles won silver at the 2005 FIFA U- 20 World Cup in Holland and at the Beijing, China Olympics where Siasia led the Dream Team IV to win the silver medal, said he was confident of the team doing well in Rio Olympics.

“Football is so scientific and you cannot look up on just the players you have used to prosecute the tournament that fetched the Olympics ticket alone. It is a continuous thing and every Nigerian who falls within the age and who has what it takes to make this team better will definitely be given a look in by the head coach of the team (Samson Siasia).

“That way you can create a very healthy rivalry in the team and then you can get if not the best but close to the very best for the team. This means that when we go to the international stage we would be able to match the opponents that come our way.

“The bulk of the players that got us the qualification ticket for this year’s Olympic Football Tournament will definitely be retained according to the chief coach (Samson Siasia). Siasia is looking at and working very hard to get a very formidable team that will represent Nigeria at the Rio Olympics.

The former Golden Eaglets’ head coach also welcomed the positive aspect of having a large pool of qualified players to be selected from for the Olympics and said it is a positive herculean task to deal with by the technical crew of the Dream Team VI.

“Herculean is not a strange word in the coaching world but rather I call it an interesting exercise where you have to keep trying to be better as a coach. We are also looking out for these qualities and trying to polish the players that you have who are already good and trying to make the ones who are not good to become good.

“This gives any coach plenty of joy and opportunity to explore the array of players who fall within this (the Olympics) age and who are Nigerians to come and show what they have.

“It makes it very interesting and challenging but not herculean. It was like this before the team went to Senegal for the U- 23 Africa Cup of Nations and you saw what happened. The team tried to get better a game after the other by correcting the mistakes noticed in each match and tried to be ready for the next game”, Odigie told Sportinglife.
thenationonlineng.net/siasia-to-nigerians-dream-team-vi-ll-be-super/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:32pm On Feb 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal Academy Manager: “Perfect” Iwobi Will Get Even Better
[/size]

Arsenal academy manager Andries Jonker has showered plaudits on youngster Alex Iwobi, describing him as the “perfect” player to coach.

The 19-year-old captained Arsenal’s Youth League side last season and has gone on to make his first-team debut and win his first international cap for Nigeria during a breakthrough campaign.

Speaking to Arsenal Player, on Arsenal.com, Jonker says Iwobi’s emergence is one of the biggest positives from the club’s academy.

“Every now and then we have had players who have attracted attention but I think the one who has succeeded most is Alex Iwobi, who is with the first team now,” Jonker told Arsenal Player.

“He played at home against Bayern Munich, made two very nice goals and was great for the team. Since then we haven’t seen him because he’s with the first team and that’s what it’s all about.

“Alex is incredibly motivated, dedicated, willing to work and open to listening. He is always trying to improve himself. That makes him a perfect player because, with the talent he has already, he can continue to develop. That’s what’s happening at the moment.”

Iwobi has made four appearances for Arsenal this season since making his breakthrough into the first team.

He was an unused substitute in Arsenal’s 2-0 win against Bournemouth in last weekend’s Premier League clash.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/arsenal-academy-manager-perfect-iwobi-will-get-even-better/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hey the Young midfielder is back!!!

[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 Abia Comets
Nwobodo returns in style after long injury layoff
[/size]

Obinna Nwobodo - Has returned to action after knee injury in March 2015

Nwobodo, who suffered a serious knee injury at the final of the African Youth Championship last March, came off the bench to score for Rangers.

The exciting midfielder needed surgery in Doha, Qatar, to return to action.

Rangers other goals were by Godwin Aguda and former Enyimba striker Chimezie Amanfor.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
Iheanacho Battles Toure, Aguero For City Goal Of The Month
[/size]
Kelechi Iheanacho's third goal against Aston Villa has been nominated for the Manchester City Goal of the Month for January.

The Manchester City teen star will battle Sergio Aguero whom he lost out to in the player of the month award, Yaya Toure, Kevin DeBruyne, David Silva and three U-18 players for the award: Rodney Kongolo, Angelino,Aleix Garcia Ibrahim Diaz.

The Nigerian international scored four goals and provided three assists in just four appearances in January.

Iheanacho is expected to be called up for next month's 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt next month in Kaduna.

He has scored eight goals in 20 appearances for Manchester City so far this season as they stay in contention for all four trophies this season.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-battles-toure-aguero-city-goal-month/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2016

Kenya could pull out of this summer's Rio Olympics if the Zika virus in Brazil reaches "epidemic levels", says the head of Kenya's Olympic committee.

m.bbc.com/sport/olympics/35530141

Zika Virus and the Olympics: what is the hope of the olympics athletes.

CC: TheSuperNerd and co.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:01pm On Feb 11, 2016
Well, since our U-23 Soccer team are Olympics-bound and this is an U-23 (olympics) thread, then I may as well touch a little on this.

To be honest, I don't think there's much to fear about Zika concerning our athletes..... At least for now. About 1 in 5-7 people infected with Zika will fall sick but won't be in danger of death.

People infected with Zika "typically" do not
need hospitalization and rarely die from complications of the virus.

Symptoms are sometimes expressed in people infected with Zika... But sometimes, they may not be expressed. Symptoms are majorly mild fever, malaise, Headache (usually mild), rash, conjunctivitis or red eyes, and some kinda joint pains.
NOW THESE SYMPTOMS USUALLY LAST A WEEK OR SOMETIMES 2 WEEKS.

NOTE: Anybody infected should take lot of rest and plenty of fluids. Also, some medications like could be taken for the headache and joint pains symptoms (e.g. Painkillers, Tylelol, etc)

BUT HERE'S ZIKA'S MAJOR ISSUE..... "Pregnant women and their unborn babies"

Any pregnant athlete going to Rio olympics is likely to be @ risk no matter the stage of pregnancy.

Most women in Brazil, Jamaica, El-salvador, Colombia, and some other nations of the Americas are being advised to not get pregnant until like 2018 or so. Canada and Chile are the only countries in that whole american continent (north and south america) who aren't having trouble with Zika.

The U.S. Only have a few regions battling Zika.

Zika is said to be linked to microcephaly (abnormally small heads) in babies. WHO is yet to establish any further links between Zika and other possible Mother-Child complications..... But my guts tell me Zika may likely have "teratogenic" tendencies which can lead to some congenital abnormalities.

I just hope W.H.O don't overblow this issue thereby creating another MONEY-STREAM IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL WORLD.

I bet most pharmaceutical giants are in no rush for a cure so that they can make a "killing" out of "cocktail" vaccines to combat Zika.

Meanwhile, I'm currently pursuing new Info on fully grasping the science and genetics behind Zika. Can't wait on W.H.O.

All the same. GOD's still on the Throne. #smiles #fearNot.

terzurum5:

Kenya could pull out of this summer's Rio Olympics if the Zika virus in Brazil reaches "epidemic levels", says the head of Kenya's Olympic committee.

m.bbc.com/sport/olympics/35530141

Zika Virus and the Olympics: what is the hope of the olympics athletes.

CC: TheSuperNerd and co.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:55pm On Feb 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Guinness Match of the Weekend: Manchester City vs. Tottenham
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/76/6b/dele-alli-kelechi-iheanacho_1p4c91gsldudh1bnhicwx5uwal.jpg?t=-875022678&w=620&h=430[/img]
Dele Alli & Kelechi Iheanacho

Kelechi Iheanacho comes up against Dele Alli in a potentially decisive title bout on Sunday at the Etihad Stadium

Poll: Who will win?
14th Febraury, KO 17:15

Guinness Made of Black Match of the Weekend: Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Where: Etihad Stadium, Manchester

When: 16:15 GMT, Sunday, February 14

Often, Premier League fans are ‘sold’ the idea of a Super Sunday. A heavyweight collection of back-to-back fixtures on the Sabbath in which the goals and the controversy will flow, and the results will have far-riding and monumental consequences.

This Sunday, it feels almost impossible to over-hype the EPL fixtures, with first versus third and second versus fourth.

Barclays Premier League
Pos Team P W D L GD Pts
1 Leicester City 25 15 8 2 20 53
2 Tottenham Hotspur 25 13 9 3 26 48
3 Arsenal 25 14 6 5 17 48
4 Manchester City 25 14 5 6 21 47
5 Manchester United 25 11 8 6 10 41
6 West Ham United 25 10 9 6 9 39
7 Southampton 25 10 7 8 9 37
8 Everton 25 8 11 6 12 35
9 Liverpool 25 9 8 8 -4 35
10 Watford 25 9 6 10 0 33
11 Stoke City 25 9 6 10 -7 33
12 Crystal Palace 25 9 5 11 -4 32
13 Chelsea 25 7 9 9 -2 30
14 West Bromwich Albion 25 7 8 10 -9 29
15 Bournemouth 25 7 7 11 -12 28
16 Swansea City 25 6 9 10 -9 27
17 Newcastle United 25 6 6 13 -18 24
18 Norwich City 25 6 5 14 -20 23
19 Sunderland 25 5 5 15 -19 20
20 Aston Villa 25 3 7 15 -20 16

Whereas the title race often feels like an inexorable procession towards the final whistle, this season, the competition has been blasted wide open, with a quartet of sides all vying for the ultimate prize in the English game.

After 25 matches, and with 13 to go, unlikely champions-elect Leicester City sit top on 53 points, with Tottenham Hotspur in second on 48 points, level with Arsenal but enjoying a far superior goal difference.

Manchester City, who many would have tipped to have been the most likely side to capitalise on Chelsea’s unexpected decline and their slump down to the bottom half of the table, find themselves in fourth on 47.

However, while the Citizens currently sit six points off the leaders, in Sergio Aguero, they possess one of the players in the division who could single-handedly impact where the title ends up.

City’s title hopes were dented last weekend, when the Sky Blues were devastated 3-1 at home by the mighty Foxes.

Perhaps distracted by Manuel Pellegrini’s imminent departure and the arrival of Pep Guardiola, surely guilty of underestimating Leicester, the Manchester giants were brutally exposed in front of their home fans, as Riyad Mahrez, Jamie Vardy and…erm…Robert Huth ran wild.

Against Tottenham, it’s imperative that City reassert themselves, in order to demonstrate that they remain credible title contenders, and that they haven’t taken their eye off the ball following the news about the managerial upheaval.

If City lose again, and if Leicester defeat Arsenal, Pellegrini’s side would fall nine points off the pace. Surely then, with Leicester facing an encouraging run of fixtures, it would become increasingly difficult to see how the Citizens could overhaul Claudio Ranieri’s miracle men.
Team Comparison
Manchester City Tottenham Hotspur
25 Games Played 25

Defence
Attack
Distribution
Discipline

Defence
Manchester City Tottenham Hotspur
26 Goals Conceded 19
11 Clean Sheets 9
91 Shots Faced (on target) 78
324 Tackles Won 390
136 Tackles Lost 123
70.4% Tackles Won (%) 76%
1,367 Duels Won 1,370
1,390 Duels lost 1,424
49.6% Duels won (%) 49%

Will Pellegrini opt to turn to Kelechi Iheanacho on Sunday, in light of his side’s failings on Saturday?

The Nigerian was only introduced as a second-half substitute against Leicester, but, with City already 2-0 down, it was too little too late.

Having impressed alongside Aguero in a 4-4-2 earlier in the campaign, will Pellegrini opt to play the two frontmen together again as he seeks to trouble Spurs, who have the best defence in the division?

The example of Dele Alli, who will surely return to Tottenham’s starting lineup on Sunday, could well prompt the Chilean coach to turn to Kele.
Opta Facts

The last nine Premier League games between these two sides have seen 41 goals scored.
Man City have won eight and lost two of the last 10 Premier League meetings with Spurs, including victories in the last five in a row at the Etihad Stadium.

Manchester City have not beaten any side currently in the top six of the Premier League table this season (W0 D3 L4).
Sergio Aguero has scored 10 goals in eight Barclays Premier League appearances against Tottenham Hotspur.
Aguero has scored the most goals from outside the box this season in the Premier League (4) despite only hitting the target seven times from long range.

Aguero's minutes per goal rate of one every 108.2 minutes is the best of any player with at least five goals scored in Premier League history.
Manchester City have scored the highest proportion of goals from outside the box in the Premier League this season (23%).
Tottenham have conceded a league-low one goal from outside the box in the Premier League in 2015-16.
Mauricio Pochettino has defeated a Manuel Pellegrini side just once in 12 meetings between the two in the Premier League or La Liga (W1 D2 L9).
Dele Alli has had a hand in 11 goals in his last 14 Premier League games for Spurs (six goals, five assists).

Alli—recently capped by England, despite being eligible for Nigeria—has been the breakout star of the season, and as well as his sumptuous—and decisive—assist against Watford at the weekend, he has already bagged an astonishing seven goals this term.

The midfielder is a symbol of Spurs’ bright new era under Mauricio Pochettino, and if Pellegrini is in need of any convincing of the value of unleashing youth, then the example of Alli ought to be evidence enough!

Will it been Spurs’ wonderkid or City’s teenage starlet who shines on Sunday in this decisive title bout?

Guinness weekly winners story:

Ajayi Emmanuel
Played min 54 for Everton in Manchester City v Everton

How to enter the Guinness Made of More Weekly Draw:

1. Buy a Guinness

2. Check under crown for your minute and unique code

3. Pick the Barclay's Premier League team you think will score in your minute

4. SMS the CODE + Barclay's Premier League TEAM NAME to 1759 to play

5. If your selected team scores a goal in your minute you instantly win N1000 in airtime!
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/14412/guinness-highlights/2016/02/11/20206622/guinness-match-of-the-weekend-manchester-city-vs-tottenham?ICID=HP_HN_HP_RI_1_3
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.