Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,056 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (699422 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:03pm On Apr 25, 2016
terzurum5:

My system must not be biased. It must marry theory and practice. I can't allow rigorous training becloud my sense of judgement when it comes to player selection. I can't pick players just because the do well with rigorous training and leave out quality players. Mba.

*****ItCan'tFitHappen****

That is your system, not Coach Siasia's system.

For instance, I prefer more skillful players to those who rely on passes. Pellegrini prefers those who pass to those who show skills. I remember hearing of Coach Pellegrini saying he will take one Riquelme to ten Ronaldinho's.

I was like, Nah. I am a big Ronaldinho fan then. That is Pellegrini's choice, not mine.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:11pm On Apr 25, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

There is something about Coach Samson Siasia that we do not understand and we may never understand. As a Nigerian and Super Eagles ardent fan, I have tried severally to be positive but, I beginning to be tired of his selection criteria. Our home Coaches just have to try and prove that they have what it takes to prove us wrong that we always need foreign Coaches to get out selection right.

The problem is that a lot of people are drawn to popular demands. That is why they feel a coach is not doing well if he does not select the popular players.

Actually, a working Coach, is a coach who selects out of popular demands. It shows, he is looking for better options. Most times we have foreign coaches, they release the same list over and over again. You can close your eyes and pin point the starting eleven.

Believe me, that is easy. Take Coach Phillipe Troussier's team list and compare it to that of Coach Monday Sinclair's list in 1998, there were many shockers, notably given Oruma the chance to play the ten role and Chris Ohenhen making the bench.

I remember how people were critical of Coach Keshi's AFCON selection.

As for me, what matters is that, the Coach should have his working system and drills. He should select those who fit in. Any compromise to this means the coach is not giving his best.

So if Chikatara limps out repeatedly during training, it is wrong for the coach to feature him. Same with Adi and Samuel.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:17pm On Apr 25, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Manchester City Loanee Nwakali Named To Nigeria U23s Provisional Roster For
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Manchester City loanee Chidiebere Nwakali could figure for the Dream Team VI at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The central midfielder has been included by Samson Siasia in his 60-man provisional squad for the tournament which begins in August.

Nwakali is not the only player in the Golden Eaglets class of 2013 that made the provisional roster, as it is confirmed that Kelechi Iheanacho(Man City), Taiwo Awoniyi(FSV Frankfurt),Saviour Godwin(KV Oostende) and Aliyu Abubakar(KuPS) have been selected.

The 19-year-old’s impressive display for IK Start in Norway played a crucial role in his inclusion in the provisional roster.

Chidiebere Nwakali featured in every single game played by the Nigeria U17s during the Fifa Under 17 World Cup in the UAE and was part of the Flying Eagles squad at the 2015 Fifa Under 20s in New Zealand.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18784
[/b]

FineTastic News. Come On Cityzen Nwakali. I hope you are good enough for the team.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 10:20pm On Apr 25, 2016
Sia One can no longer be trusted. All he does these days is talk the talk,
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:44am On Apr 26, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Go back to the beginning of this thread, you will see I am not a Coach Siasia person. I am just pointing out the fact from articles.

Coach Siasia did well in the U20 in 2005 and in the Olympics, leading us to the finals. His system led us that far.

Past articles showed Chikatara, Adi and Samuel could not meet up. Please, did I invent that?

How about showing us articles where Siasia said they didn't cope in his system because they could not meet up with his drills. I'm referring to Chikatara, Adi and Samuel. The three of them.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:34am On Apr 26, 2016
Kelechi Iheanacho with the 3rd highest goals conversion ratio in the EPL behind Sergio Aguero and Daniel Sturridge.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:35am On Apr 26, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

FineTastic News. Come On Cityzen Nwakali. I hope you are good enough for the team .

That is the right question.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 11:25am On Apr 26, 2016
[size=14pt]That stat that shows Kelechi Iheanacho is Europe's most prolific goal-scorer[/size]

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2016/04/25/96160340-kelechi-iheanacho-sport-large_trans++tMutwwx9W-AXpU26IHGqxc_nbroQUyUmCPPdG9xreRk.jpg[/img]

That a club with the riches of Manchester City would start a season where they should be challenging for the Premier League title with Sergio Aguero their only established - and sufficiently effective - striker was rather strange.

In the Argentine they have one of the finest ever strikers ever to grace the Premier League, but also an injury prone player who never manages a full season, and while Wilfried Bony continues to provide little to prove he is of the quality required to play at that level, another option has been a necessity.

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2016/04/25/75686864-kelechi-iheanacho-sport_1-large_trans++piVx42joSuAkZ0bE9ijUnGH28ZiNHzwg9svuZLxrn1U.jpg[/img]

But Manuel Pellegrini has not splashed out. He felt no need with Kelechi Iheanacho on the books, and that has turned out to be some decision, with a star of the future coming through.

He has burst onto the scene this season, afforded primarily chances from the bench but grabbing those opportunities with both hands.

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2016/04/25/96160230-kelechi-iheanacho-fourth-goal-sport-large_trans++yHAaKjWEpxvG44kv62p6CQ5_QYquf6TkP0qjv-mLCaI.jpg[/img]

He took only two minutes to opening his goal-scoring account for City. Having failed to net in his cameo appearance against Waford, he came on to hit the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win at Crystal Palace in September.

He has scored frequently despite limited game time, and took his total for the season to 11 goals in all competitions with a brace against Stoke this weekend.

[img]http://dc595.4shared.com/img/_T8jtGvLba/s24/15452162680/Capture?async&rand=0.29615974478532014[/img]

He averages a goal every 81.3 minutes he has played, which is extremely impressive considering he is still only 19 years of age, but even more so given the fact that of all players to score at least 10 goals across the top five European leagues this season, it is the best rate.

Superstars Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Karim Benzema have all outscored the City youngster but play much more regularly, and actually score with less frequency.

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2016/04/25/msn_top-large_trans++M37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7BfOCYufpxLlnk9UkSq3RIc.jpg[/img]

Of course, the caveat to this is that Iheanacho has made plenty of appearances in games that City have already won, or are huge favourites to win, but so too do those aforementioned Barcelona and Real Madrid forwards.

The Nigerian can do little more than score against the opposition put in front of him and he has done that consistently. He has an instinctive eye for goal, hitting the target with 58.3 per cent of his attempts and scores with 41.7 per cent, both of which rank among the best in the Premier League.

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2016/04/25/96159469-kelechi-iheanacho-sport-xlarge_trans++mMcDmMiX7mH398F97w1Me4coimIP0-XUCQF08HYsPc8.jpg[/img]

What those stats say about him is that he shoots with the same accuracy as a Jamie Vardy or an Aguero, but when he does hit the target, goalkeepers rarely stop him. His five Premier League goals have come from just seven shots on target.

The challenge for Iheanacho is now to prolong these levels over the course of a full campaign as he is given more playing time. Next season he will presumably remain second-choice to Aguero, but he has the makings of a top striker and the incoming Pep Guardiola might too see no need to strengthen in attack with this teenager around.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/25/kelechi-iheanacho-is-europes-most-prolific-goal-scorer/

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:27pm On Apr 26, 2016
[size=14pt]
Kayode seeks Europa League spot
[/size]

Former Nigeria youth international Olanrewaju Kayode has told AfricanFootball.com his attention is shifted to helping Austria Wien secured a Europa League ticket after missing the league title.

Austria Wien are third on Austrian Bundesliga league table with 50 points, 14 points adrift of leaders Salzburg with four games to end the season.

"The league was the target but now I can't get that. I am now looking forward to helping my team secure ticket to play in Europe,” Kayode told AfricanFootball.com

“I will be very happy to achieve that and serve as compensation for missing the league title."

He has scored 12 goals in the league this season and third on the top scorers’ chart.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626334/Kayode-seeks-Europa-League-spot

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:28pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho: It will be a dream to face Real Madrid
[/size]

Manchester City Striker Kelechi Iheanacho

Nigeria youngster Kelechi Iheanacho has said it will be a dream come true for him if he played against Real Madrid on Tuesday in a UEFA Champions League game.

The Taye Academy of Owerri product has been a hit for Manchester City this season scoring a brace Saturday in a 4-0 spanking of Stoke City to take his goals’ haul this term to 11.

“I think I should dream about that because it’s a great team to dream to play against,” he said.

“It would be a dream come true to play against them.

“I think I’ll be happy when I play against them.”

On his two-goal performance against Stoke, Iheanacho said: “It was a great performance by everybody, everybody really did well, so it depends on who the manager picks. Everyone is fit to face Madrid.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/626192/Iheanacho-It-will-be-a-dream-to-face-Real-Madrid
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:32pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Southampton,West Ham join Palace in Iorfa chase
[/size]

Iorfa Jnr (right)

English Premier League clubs Southampton and West Ham have joined the scramble for Nigerian youngster Dominic Iorfa, AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal today.

This week, The Sun of England reported another EPL side Crystal Palace have made enquiries over the availability of the Wolverhampton Wanderers defender.

“Several other Premier League clubs including Southampton and West Ham are equally interested in Iorfa,” a top source informed AfricanFootball.com

“The player has great potentials and of recent he has shown great versatility by also playing as a central defender, away from his familiar rightback role.”

It was now further learnt that the future of the England U21 star could well be determined by Wolves valuation of the player who they recently gave a new, long-term contract.

The 20-year-old Iorfa has made 40 appearances for English championship side Wolves this season. It is double the appearances he made last season.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626226/SouthamptonWest-Ham-join-Palace-in-Iorfa-chase
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Celtic Give Up Their Pursuit Of Chelsea Fullback Ola Aina
[/size]

Scottish champions Celtic have reportedly given up their pursuit of England youth international Ola Aina after failing to meet his wage demands.

The defender runs out of contract with the Londoners at the end of the season and interested teams will not have to pay a transfer fee to acquire him.

The Telegraph says Celtic were shocked to learn that the wages demanded by Aina would have made him the highest paid player at the club if they had granted his request.

The 19-year-old is not lacking suitors in the event that he departs Stamford Bridge, with the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool monitoring the situation of the full-back.

The Southwark native joined Chelsea as an Under-11 player and is yet to make his debut for the first team in a competitive match.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18797
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:52pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Alex Iwobi Shortlisted For Arsenal Player Of The Month Award
[/size]

Super Eagles attacking midfielder midfielder Alex Iwobi is in the running for Arsenal’s Vitality Player of the Month for April 2016.

The official website of the Gunners has revealed that the 19-year-old has been nominated for the award and will have to see off competition from the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Hector Bellerin, Laurent Koscielny and Mohamed Elneny.

Iwobi made the starting line-up in every single game contested by Arsenal in the Premier League during the period under review, against Watford, West Ham, Crystal Palace, West Brom and the recent match with Sunderland.

The Hale End Academy product was on target against the Hornets on April 2 before notching two helpers against West Ham a week later.

Egypt international Mohamed Elneny won the Player of the Month award for March.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18806
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:07pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Alex Iwobi : Wilshere Is A Big Inspiration For Us
[/size]

Alex Iwobi has revealed that several youngsters in Arsenal ranks try to imitate Jack Wilshere’s ‘no-touch turn’ move during training.

The 24-year-old Wilshere appeared for the first time in the Premier League this season in the Gunners’ goalless draw with Sunderland after recovering from an injury that he picked up during pre-season training.

“He’s brilliant on the ball, he’s able to find space and he’s the master of the no-touch turn,” Iwobi told the Arsenal matchday programme, according to arsenal.com.

“He doesn’t even need to touch the ball, he just shields it with his body and turns away from defenders with ease. It’s something that us youth team players used to watch and then try in training.

“He’s a big inspiration for us. A couple of times in training we used to get together and practise the ‘Jack Wilshere turn’, but nobody can do it as well as he can!”

Iwobi was substituted before Wilshere stepped out onto the Stadium of Light pitch on Sunday afternoon.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18795
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:10pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Aliyu Abubakar Reveals Clause In KuPS Contract Stipulating He Must Be Released For
[/size]

KuPS defender Aliyu Abubakar has revealed that there’s a clause interested into his contract that stipulates that the the Finnish Veikkausliiga side have to release him to the national teams whenever he is invited.

It is confirmed beyond reasonable doubt that the former Golden Eaglets defender has been named to the Dream Team VI provisional roster for the 2016 Olympic Games.

But his participation had been in doubt, that is if he makes the 18-player roster in the first place, as the Finnish top-flight will be in full swing during the Olympic Games and Euro clubs can’t be forced to release players on their rosters by Fifa.

“Yes, KuPS will release me for the Olympic Games if I am invited. It is part of my contract, any national team call up has to be accepted by them,”Aliyu Abubakar told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“I am not aware I am in the provisional squad but I would love to play in the Olympic Games. It is part of my dream.”

The 18-year-old Abubakar has been involved in the first four games of the new season for KuPS.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18798
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:12pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria U23s Confirm Chelsea Loanee Kenneth Omeruo Will Miss Olympic Games
[/size]

The Media Officer of Nigeria’s Olympic National Team, Timi Ebikagboro, has confirmed that Chelsea loanee Kenneth Omeruo will not be suiting up for the Samson Siasia-led side at the 2016 Olympic Games.

Allnigeriasoccer.com broke the news that the central defender was considered for the competition by the technical crew but gave a negative response when contacted regarding his availability.

“Kenneth Omeruo pulled out of the Rio Olympics U-23 due to doctors’ advice, he wanted to play but was advised not to risk his career,” Ebikagboro stated.

The 22-year-old has represented Nigeria at U17 and U20 level and has some games under his belt in the World Cup and Confederations Cup.

Omeruo was not in action on Sunday against Galatasaray due to an unknown complaint.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18802
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:15pm On Apr 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kelechi Iheanacho Fired Up Ahead Of Showdown With Real Madrid
[/size]

Kelechi Iheanacho is eagerly looking forward to Tuesday night’s Champions League Semi-final, Game 1 between the Citizens and Real Madrid at the City of Manchester Stadium.

If the teenager is fielded by coach Manuel Pellegrini, he won’t be lacking confidence, having registered his name on the score sheet twice against Stoke City three days ago in the Premier League.

“Matchday: dare to dream #comoncity,” Iheanacho tweeted this afternoon.

Iheanacho is accustomed to most of the players in the Real Madrid ranks as he was part of the Man City squad that lost 4-1 to the European powerhouse in July 2015 in a pre-season fixture (International Champions Cup).

The Nigeria international came off the bench against Dynamo Kiev and PSG, managing only two minutes in both Champions League ties but will be hoping to get more game time today in front of the City faithful.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18807
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2016
See the full perspective here... Omeruo wanted to be in Rio but a groin affliction issue is what stopped him.

*Keen Doctor's advice* Read his reaction...

http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/17742/olympics/2016/04/26/22829302/nigeria-defender-omeruo-ruled-out-of-rio-olympics

All the best then Omeruo, the initial reports made it sound like Omeruo "just said no" and showed no Interest. We gotta get the whole perspective right next time.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:26pm On Apr 26, 2016
Iheanacho the legend begins?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:35pm On Apr 26, 2016
David Silva injured and Iheanacho takes his spot.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:57pm On Apr 26, 2016
Who would have thought Iheanacho will have to take on the might of the Galacticos.... Los merengues... Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world in his first professional season?

hmm... #smiles

Wish them the best in the second leg. An away "score draw" is all they need at worst.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
joseph1013:

How about showing us articles where Siasia said they didn't cope in his system because they could not meet up with his drills. I'm referring to Chikatara, Adi and Samuel. The three of them.

[b]
terzurum5:
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Egypt
Aaron Samuel, Adi not match fit - official

Eagles striker Aaron Samuel

CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel and Fenando Adi from MLS side Portland Timbers were not listed for both AFCON qualifiers against Egypt because they were far from match fit, officials informed AfricanFootball.com

It was understood that coach Samson Siasia stuck with Watford striker Odion Ighalo for both games against Egypt because Samuel and Adi could not prove their fitness in training.

“Both players were not match-fit after Siasia tested their endurance with some exercises in training. That was why he could not name any of them even on the substitutes’ bench,” a source close to the Super Eagles revealed.

"They just couldn't cope with the training."

Samuel was making a comeback to the national team after he was overlooked by former coach Sunday Oliseh, while MLS champion Adi was set for his international debut.
africanfootball.com/news/622676/Aaron-Samuel-Adi-not-match-fit-official
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2016
joseph1013:

[b]
terzurum5:
EAGLES COACHES REGRET DROPPING HOME BASE PLAYERS FOR ADI AND SAMUEL

A member of the technical crew of the Super Eagles has revealed to owngoalnigeria.com that the coaches lament dropping some home base players for the duo of Aaron Samuel and Fanendo Adi.

Owngoalnigeria.com sort to know why Adi and Samuel didn’t make the match day squad for the back to back games against Egypt and the coach speaking on the condition of anonymity said it was down to poor form.

“Aaron Samuel and Fanendo Adi did nothing spectacular in training to warrant a spot in the team, they were off the pace as a matter of fact even the basic drills we did for strikers they were the worst” He told owngoalnigeria.com

“If we had known we would have kept some home based players like Osas Okoro who did very well in camp and some few others instead of having foreign based players who can’t break into the team, we strongly regret their inclusion”.

We can also confirm that during training sessions in Abuja and Kaduna Samuel looked heavily overweight why Adi was very slow and doesn’t look quite fit or strong for the demands of Africa football.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/30/eagles-coaches-regret-dropping-home-base-players-for-adi-and-samuel/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:16pm On Apr 26, 2016
joseph1013:

justiz5:
[b][size=14pt]
REVEALED: HOW POOR ATTITUDE COST CHIKATARA A SPOT IN SUPER EAGLES SQUAD FOR EGYPT GAMES
[/size]

The poster boy of Nigeria AFCON 2016 team Chisom Chikatara missed out on a spot in Nigeria’s ill fated back to back AFCON 2017 qualifiers game against Egypt due to his poor showing in training.

Chikatara according to a coach of the team who spoke to Owngoalnigeria.com on the condition of anonymity said the 22 year old was feeling like a superstar in training who felt like he needed to less to get into the team.

“Chikatara wasn’t pulling his weight during training, limped off too often and generally wasn’t committed, he left us with no chance but to drop him, am afraid if so early into his career he is beginning to exhibit such” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Already he is set to join Morocco’s league leaders Wydad Casablanca when registration reopens in the league in the summer and presently he has three goals for his Nigeria league side Abia Warriors.
http://i0.wp.com/owngoalnigeria.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/image-12.jpg?resize=300%2C244
[/b]

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23pm On Apr 26, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Who would have thought Iheanacho will have to take on the might of the Galacticos.... Los merengues... Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world in his first professional season?

hmm... #smiles

Wish them the best in the second leg. An away "score draw" is all they need at worst.

Nice appearance for Iheanacho but he got a full lesson of what top defenders can do to good players.

If Nacho wants to become one of the elites in the game, he must learn how to cope with this kind of defenders.

Ramos and Pepe were allover Aguero and Nacho that they hardly had a chance to make good attempts.

More interesting was the tight marking of Nacho that took away the chance of De Bruyne locating Nacho with his clever passes.

Good game and I expect Nacho to go through a lot of lessons from Coach Pellegrini on how to deal with these kind of defenders.

(Coach Pellegrini used to manage Real Madrid and he has worked with Pepe and Ramos.)

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:18pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho, Mahrez, Bolasie, Salah In African Team Of The Week
[/size]

Two Nigerian stars, two Egyptians, and one player each from Algeria, DR Congo, Senegal, Ghana, Cote d' Ivoire, Gabon and Guinea make up the impressive line-up in the latest installment of the African Team of the Week as presented by Completesportsnigeria.com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI…

GOAL
Didier Ovono (Ooestende, Belgium)
Gabonese goalkeeper Didier Ovono put up a good performance in Ooestende's 4-2 home win against Anderlecht on Sunday.

The keeper made important saves especially in the second half and touched the ball 57 times.

Ovono's organisation of the defence was excellent and he dealt with crosses superbly.

However Ovono's concentration somewhat dropped after the resumption of the game which was called off in the 81st minute, for about 13 minutes, due to crowd trouble (from Anderlecht fans) that started moments after a pitch invader was taken away by the security.

Nigeria's Joseph Akpala was on the scoresheet for Oostendee.

DEFENCE
Lamine Kone (Sunderland, England)
Cote d' Ivoire defender Lamine Kone was sensational for Sunderland in their scoreless draw against Arsenal at the Stadium of Light on Sunday.

The draw saw the Black Cats move just above the three teams in the relegation zone and the centre back was clearly one of the best players on the field.

Kone was strong in the aerial battles as he won six duels. He had 48 touches of the ball and had one attempt at scoring, an acrobatic kick in the Arsenal box just before the end of the match.

The Ivorian made 15 clearances and three interceptions. He blocked a shot and committed a foul. He completed just 27 of his passes and played seven long balls into the opposition half, one finding a teammate.

Moustapha Bayal Sall (Saint Etienne, France)
Guinea's Moustapha Bayal Sall was in good form as Saint Etienne defeated Lorient 2-0 at home on Sunday.

The defender has been one of the most consistent African stars in Europe and his quality shone through last weekend.

Sall made three tackles, one interception and eight clearances. He committed two tackles and also had one shot on target.

John Boye (Sivasspor, Turkey)

Black Stars of Ghana central defender John Boye was splendid in Sivasspor's 2-2 away draw against Istanbul Basaksehir on Saturday.

Boye made three tackles, six interceptions and seven clearances in the match. He committed only one foul and won six aerial duels.

The defender made one key pass, completed 21 of his passes (66.7% success rate) and played seven long balls into Basaksehir's half, two of them accurate.

MIDFIELD

Mohamed Elneny (Arsenal, England)

Pharaohs of Egypt defensive midfielder Mohamed Elneny continues to impress for Arsenal whose top four hopes are threatened by the Manchester clubs.

On Sunday at the Stadium of Light, Elneny put in a commanding performance as he has mostly done since his January arrival from Swiss club, Basel.

Defensively he made two tackles and two clearances in front of the defence and committed a foul which led to him being yellow-carded. He was fouled four times himself as he drove forward with the ball.

Elneny completed two take-ons, made one key pass and had one of his two shots on target.

Riyad Mahrez (Leicester, England)

Algeria international Riyad Mahrez was the star of the show as Leicester City romped to a 4-0 win over Swansea at the King Power Stadium to draw closer to their first Premier League title in history.
Read Also: U-23 Eagles Invited To Toulon Tournament In France

The Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) Players' Player of the 2015/2016 season (the first African winner) was on target for the Foxes in the 10th minute of the game.

The midfielder made three key passes, won one aerial duel and his heat map showed he had 64 touches of the ball. He completed 38 of his passes (79% success rate) and weighed in four crosses.

Aminu Umar (Osmanlispor, Turkey)

Super Eagles winger Aminu Umar continues to do well for himself and for his Turkish club, Osmanlispor.

Over the weekend, on Saturday at the Osmanli Stadium, Umar provided an assist for Pierre Webo's second goal of the match in the 48th minute as they defeated an Antalyaspor side that paraded former African Footballer of the Year Samuel Eto'o 3-0.

Another Eagles star, Raheem Lawal, came off the bench in the second half and assisted the last goal scored by Erdal Killicaslan.

Umar has now been awarded the Man-of-the-Match six times this season in 24 league appearances.

Apart from his assist, Umar also made one key pass, had one of his two shots on target and his heat map showed he had 64 touches of the ball. The Nigeria international won two aerial duels and completed 40 of his passes (80% accurate).

Yannick Bolasie (Crystal Palace, England)

DR Congo twinkle-toed winger/forward Yannick Bolasie scored Crystal Palace's first goal in their 2-1 win against Watford in one of the semi finals matches of the Emirates Cup on Sunday.

Bolasie headed the Eagles ahead in the sixth minute on Sunday from a corner and was generally impressive for his team that have booked a place in the final on May 21 against Manchester United.

FORWARDS

Kelechi Iheanacho (Man City, England)

Super Eagles star Kelechi Iheanacho was deservedly the Man-of-the-Match in Manchester City's 4-0 thrashing of Stoke City at the Etihadon Saturday.

The former Nigeria youth international scored a brace in the 64th and 74th minutes.

Iheanacho had three of his five shots on target, had a cross on target and completed 39 of his passes (71.8% accurate).

The gifted forward even put a defensive shift with three tackles and one clearance. He committed one foul as well.

Mohamed Salah (AS Roma, Italy)

Egyptian forward Mohamed Salah played a pivotal part in AS Roma's 1-0 win against Napoli on Monday afternoon.

The 'Egyptian Messi' provided the assist with a cheeky back pass at the edge of the box for Radja Nainggolan's 89th minute match winner.

Salah had one of his two shots on target while he made two key passes. He won two aerial battles and had 54 touches of the ball.
The Egyptian recorded 38 pass completion which is 79% accurate and played one long into the opposition half.

Souleymane Camara (Montpellier, France)

Senegalese striker Souleymane Camara was on target and also provided an assist in Montpellier's 4-1 thumping of Troyes at home on Sunday.

The 33-year-old striker fired six shots at the Troyes goal but had only two of his efforts on target. He had 33 touches of the ball and won two aerial contests.

Camara completed 22 of his passes (72.7% success rate) and won three duels.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iheanacho-mahrez-bolasie-salah-african-team-week/#OvQYQ76WMQTsGxAZ.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Iheanacho Plays For 50 Minutes As City Held By Real Madrid;
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of Nigerian players in Europe on Tuesday, April 26.

Nigeria international Kelechi Iheanacho made his third appearance in the UEFA Champions League as Manchester City were held to a goalless draw by Real Madrid at the Etihad.

The 19-year-old striker came on in the 40th minute and thought he had won a penalty for City three minutes out of intermission but the referee did not give any signal when he went down after a tackle by Ramos.

Remaining in England, Hull City won for the 23rd time in the Championship this term, earning a 2-0 win at the KC Stadium versus Brentford. Moses Odubajo was among the 11 starters for the Tigers and played the full game.

Super Eagle Sone Aluko was left out of the Hull City squad while Chuba Akpom entered the fray in the 78th minute.

In League Two, AFC Wimbledon need one more win to be guaranteed a playoff spot but slipped to a 1-0 defeat against fellow promotion hopefuls Portsmouth.

The Dons striker Adebayo Azeez played the last 22 minutes of the contest at Kingsmeadow. Teammate Adebayo Akinfenwa was an unused sub.

Former Golden Eaglets sensation Macauley Chrisantus remains out of favour at AEK Athens and was missing from the 18-man squad for the Cup clash against Atromitos. 1-1 it finished.

Igho Kingsley
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18811
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Rio 2016: Japan plot Nigeria’s downfall
[/size]

Nigeria coach Samson Siasia

Festus Abu

Japan’s Under-23 team coach Makoto Teguramori is excited about his Rio 2016 Olympic Games-bound side’s friendly game against South Africa at the Matsumotodaira Park Stadium in Nagano, Japan, on June 29.

South Africa will represent Africa alongside Algeria and Nigeria at the summer Olympics.

Japan have been drawn in Group B of the men’s football event alongside Sweden, Colombia and Nigeria at the August 3– 20 Rio Games in Brazil.

The clash against South Africa will be Japan’s last on home soil before facing Nigeria in their first group game at the Olympics in Manaus on August 4. The Asian giants have since declared their ambition to challenge the world by lining up a charity game against the Black Stars of Ghana on May 11.

Teguramori believes Samurai Blue would be ready for the encounter against Nigeria Manaus after the clashes against Ghana and South Africa.

Japan could face South Africa, who are in Group A in the quarterfinals, if they get out of their group at Rio 2016.

“We haven’t had too many matchups against African teams so this will be an excellent opportunity to test ourselves,” Japan Times quoted Teguramori as saying on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Nigeria coach Samson Siasia has invited 30 domestic league players to camp ahead of the Olympics.

The former Super Eagles forward, who helped the country win silver at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, has hinted the bulk of his 23-man squad to Rio 2016 will comprise the players who ensured qualification for the competition.
http://www.punchng.com/rio-2016-japan-plot-nigerias-downfall/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Pyagbara's goal hands Enyimba first away points
[/size]
By: Solomon Fowowe

In the concrete bowels of the commendable Godswill Akpabio Stadium, under the night sky and bright lights, Enyimba claimed its first away victory, and simultaneously its first away points against Federation Cup winners, Akwa United.

Chrisitian Pyagbara's left-footed strike in the 38th minute made the difference between both sides on the night.

Akwa United and Enyimba took a while to settle into the game with very few chances created, both teams couldn't boast of having a stranglehold of the game in the opening stages.

Peter Onyekachi, who was paired with Pyagbara to form a two-pronged attack had a shot blocked by the Promise Keepers' defence. The striker opted to shoot when Joseph Osadiaye was better placed.

He would atone for his mistakes minutes later with a powerful run and a pass to set-up Pyagbara for the only goal of the game. Pyagbara cushioned the ball and struck with his left foot well beyond Olufemi Kayode's reach.

Kufre Ebong and Ubong Ekpai took turns to miss gilt-edged chances to equalize for the Maurice Cooreman's side in the second half as Akwa United pressured.

Enyimba got the needed victory to get their points haul to 12 points with five outstanding games still to play.

Akwa United XI: Olufemi Kayode, Nnamso Edo, Samuel Okon, Emeka Isaac, Emmanuel Ariwa, Harrison Ibukun, Ubong Ekpai, Michael Ibe, Kufre Ebong, Aniekan Ekpe, Cyril Olisema

SUBS: Bassey Akpan, Otobong Effiong,Counou Paterne, Godspower Igudia, Abdulafeez Awakan, Ukeme Davis, Nsikak Isaac

Enyimba XI: Theophilus Afelokhai, Ifeanyi George, Chima Akas, Kelly Kester, Chinedu Udoji, Emma Anyanwu, Andrew Abalogu, Peter Onyekachi, Christian Pyagbara, Nzube Anaezemba, Joseph Osadiaye

SUBS: Olufemi Thomas, Ugwu Uwadiegwu, Dare Ojo, Sikiru Kamaldeen, Ugochukwu Leonard, Mfon Udoh, Ike Thankgod
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
5-STAR YOUNGSTERS: Young Nigerians Starring In Europe This Season
[/size]

With the 2015/16 season coming to an end next month, Completesportsnigeria.com’s JOHNNY EDWARD picks five young Nigerian players who have blossomed for their respective clubs in Europe this season…

1. ISAAC SUCCESS (Granada)

Isaac Success is already a regular in his Spanish La Liga club Granada and has made such an impression for the club over three years.

The 20-year-old has showed glimpses of talent in the Granada first team this season, scoring six goals playing as a winger in his third season at the club.

Watford are monitoring his progress and could make a move to sign him in the summer but it remains to be seen if the Hornets will activate his £10m buy-out clause.

He has been capped at U-17 and the U-20 levels for Nigeria and is expected to break into the Olympic team and the senior side sooner rather than later.

Stats
Appearances: 33
Goals scored: 6
Assist: 4

2. KELECHI IHEANACHO (Manchester City)

On Saturday 23rd April, Kelechi Iheanacho scored his tenth and 11th goals of his first season in professional football against Stoke City.

Iheanacho has taken his chances when they have been offered to him. Little wonder why he replaced recuperating Samir Nasri in the Manchester City’s Champions League squad.

The Nigerian international joined City in 2014 at 17 and made his first-team debut as an 18-year-old in August against Watford last year among a team of expensively assembled superstars at the Ethiad.

The 19-year-old scored a hat-trick in his second FA Cup start for City in their 4-0 rout of Aston Villa and made a huge career leap on Tuesday when he came on for the injured David Silva in the semi-final of the Champions League against the mighty Real Madrid.

His performance for City has justified Manuel Pellegrini’s decision to keep faith in him when the duo of Edin Dzeko and Stefan Jovetic departed at the beginning of the season.

Stats
Appearances: 31
Goals scored: 11
Assist: 10

3. ALEX IWOBI (Arsenal)

Alex Iwobi has been instrumental in Arsenal’s top three push this season and his form for the Gunners has practically made the right-hand flank in the Gunners starting line-up his own which has put the future of Theo Walcot and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s at the Emirates in doubt.
Read Also: Iwobi: Welbeck Is My Arsenal First Team Mentor

After being given a rare start in the UEFA Champions League against Barcelona at Camp Nou, he scored two goals and added two assists in three games.

The fast rising star’s performances have also seen him being capped twice at competitive international level by Nigeria.

“An intelligent boy who loves football and is full of confidence” is how Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger describes Iwobi.

Stats
Appearances: 19
Goals scored: 2
Assists: 6

4. SADIQ UMAR (Roma)

This 19-year-old Nigerian youngster Sadiq Umar may have not yet broken out of Roma’s Primavera system yet but the striker has already made a big impression on his loan spell from Spezia.

The Nigerian youngster has scored twice in six substitute appearances in the Serie A. His first goal for the Giallorossi was in his first league start against Genoa which Roma won 2-0 in December last year.

On the pitch, Umar is known for impressive speed and a direct style, little wonder the lanky forward has attracted interest from English Premier League clubs.

He has also scored 19 goals for Roma in the Primavera this season.

Stats
Appearances: 6
Goals scored: 2
Assist: 0

5. CHIDOZIE AWAZIEM (FC Porto)

Chidozie Awaziem is the only defender to appear on the list and one just as well-known for his rapid rise to stardom as his performances for FC Porto this season has been superb.

Spotted from El-Kanemi Warriors last season, Portugues giants Porto took a punt on bringing the defender to Europe.

Now a regular starter at the Stadio Dragao, the 19-year-old has much room for improvement but has incredible potential and the physicality to have a strong career. He has made nine appearances this season, scoring once in Porto’s 2-0 win over Gil Vicente in the Taça da Liga competition.

Name: Chidozie Awaziem
Club: FC Porto
Appearances: 9
Goals scored: 1
Assist: 1

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/5-star-youngsters-young-nigerians-starring-europe-season/#ql7QqOVys5w0S5sD.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Finidi, Kanu and the Nigerians who have played in the UCL semi finals
[/size]

With Kelechi Iheanacho’s Manchester City playing in the Uefa Champions League semi final against Real Madrid, Goal highlights former Nigerian players who have played at the top of the world’s biggest club tournament.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/finidi-george-ajax/2[/img]
Finidi George – Ajax vs Bayern Munich 94/95, Ajax vs Panathinaikos 95/96 – Finidi was the first Nigerian to score in the Uefa Champions League semi final as Ajax defeated Bayern Munich 5-2 at the Amsterdam Arena in the second leg to win 5-2 on aggregate in 1995. Finidi’s goal was scored in the 41st minute to help Ajax cruise to the final which they won. He played in both semi final matches in 1996 as Ajax defeated Panathinaikos to reach the final.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/nwankwo-kanu-ajax/3[/img]
Nwankwo Kanu – Ajax vs Bayern Munich 94/95, Ajax vs Panathinaikos 95/96 – Kanu played four straight Uefa Champions League semi finals while still a teenager for the Ajax team under Louis van Gaal. However, he didn’t score but was influential as the Dutch side won the title in ’95 but lost via penalties a year later to Juventus.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/tijani-babangida-ucl-ajax-1997/4[/img]
Tijani Babangida – Ajax vs Juventus ‘96/97 – Tijani Babangida played for the Ajax side that reached the 1997 semi final but was unlucky to meet their nemesis Juventus once again. They lost the first leg 1-2 in Amsterdam before falling 4-1 in the return leg for a 6-2 aggregate defeat. Babangida played full minutes in both legs.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/victor-ikpeba-ucl-monaco-98/5[/img]
Victor Ikpeba – Monaco vs Juventus ‘97/98 – Victor Ikpeba continued the Nigerian representation in the Uefa Champions League semi final for the fourth straight year when Monaco reached the last four. He played in the first leg as they lost 4-1 in Turin to an Alessandro Del Piero hat trick and a fourth by Zinedine Zidane. The Old Lady reached the final despite Monaco winning the second leg 3-2.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/obafemi-martins-inter-2003-ucl/6[/img]
Obafemi Martins – Inter vs AC Milan 2002/03 – It would take four years before another Nigerian played in the semi finals when Martins came on as a second half substitute and scored in the second leg semi final encounter between Inter and AC Milan at the Giuseppe Meazza in 2003. The game ended 1-1 on aggregate but Inter were eliminated on the away goals rule, denying Obagoal an opportunity to play for the title.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/finidi-george-ajax/2?ICID=AR_GA_PS_1#photo[/img]
ohn Obi Mikel – Chelsea vs Liverpool 2007/08, Chelsea vs Barcelona 2011/12 – Five years later John Obi Mikel reached the semi final with Chelsea. But he would watch from the bench in both legs as the Blues edged Liverpool to reach the final where they lost to Manchester United via penalties. In 2012, Mikel got his time in the middle of the park as Chelsea defeated Barcelona over two legs to reach the final which they eventually won via penalties against Bayern Munich.
[img]http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/kelechi-iheanacho-manchester-city/8[/img]
Kelechi Iheanacho – Manchester City vs Real Madrid 2015/16 – Headlining a new generation of talented young Nigerians, Iheanacho would make his first showing in the Uefa Champions League semi final in his very first full season with the senior team. Will the teenager get playing time like his illustrious forebears? There’s still time to make an impact.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4074/uefa-champions-league/2016/04/26/22828862/finidi-kanu-and-the-nigerians-who-have-played-in-the-ucl/kelechi-iheanacho-manchester-city/8#photo
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:56pm On Apr 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Lazio Midfielder Eddy Onazi Not Considered For Olympic Games On Technical Grounds
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Lazio’s Eddy Onazi has not been included in Nigeria U23s provisional squad for the 2016 Olympic Games.

The defensive midfielder had made himself available for selection and had opened a line of communication with Dream Team VI coach Samson Siasia regarding his participation in the competition in Rio de Janeiro.

But it was too little, too late as the manager had already made up his mind on the three over-aged players that will represent the country at the Games.

Eddy Onazi was also ruled out on technical grounds, with Fifa stating that footballers must be born on/or after 01 January 1993 to be eligible to participate, excluding the three experienced players named to the roster.

Born December 25, 1992, the former My People FC starlet was ineligible to participate but by only seven days.

At this moment, 0847 hours on April 27,2016 , nothing has changed. Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Efe Ambrose(Celtic) and Ahmed Musa(CSKA Moscow) will be summoned to the Dream Team VI squad as the players above the age limit ahead of the Olympics.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18812
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.