Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,548 members, 7,955,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:08 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (716076 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 4:40pm On Jul 24, 2016
adrainuche:
So this is our only hope !!!

Bros I hope u have a large?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by kaboninc(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2016
safarigirl:
cc kaboninc, so that when we that know how all these government ministries work are talking, you won't come here and tell us about procedures.

Maybe you should go and read my response to you again.

It is obvious that you do not know how organisations (government and private alike) work and that informs your ignorance on the subject matter. It is also obvious that your emotions are at play here and that is why you do not see the need for discipline. Maybe because you tip these officials for a service, you conclude that that's just how things are done. So these rants could be used to push the hands of the Minister to do what shouldn't be done and when the consequences come, will you be there to stand with him? Then the cycle continues and tomorrow, people like you would come Online to type bu...llsh...it and complain and wail.

Let me repeat and I hope you learn this time. All expenses in a responsible organization must be approved. The essence is to ensure transparency, accountability and discipline. Am not interested in the sentiments here and there or if there was a beef with anybody but in ensuring that the right and proper thing is done the right and proper way. When you make people comply to these standards, things like this will never recur.

How about the expenses claimed by the team is more than what should be expensed? How sure are you that the Ministry is well prepared to foot these bills? If NFF is truly autonomous, why do they seek for funds from the Ministry? Do you know the chain of commands in these bodies? Or you think someone will just go to Rome because he's a Nigerian athlete and would be expecting funds from the Government?

I really don't think you have an idea of what you are talking about. The cause could be for good but the procedure should not be flawed. You are studying law and I suppose you should know more about this.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 10:33am On Jul 25, 2016
kaboninc:

Maybe you should go and read my response to you again.

It is obvious that you do not know how organisations (government and private alike) work and that informs your ignorance on the subject matter. It is also obvious that your emotions are at play here and that is why you do not see the need for discipline. Maybe because you tip these officials for a service, you conclude that that's just how things are done. So these rants could be used to push the hands of the Minister to do what shouldn't be done and when the consequences come, will you be there to stand with him? Then the cycle continues and tomorrow, people like you would come Online to type bu...llsh...it and complain and wail.

Let me repeat and I hope you learn this time. All expenses in a responsible organization must be approved. The essence is to ensure transparency, accountability and discipline. Am not interested in the sentiments here and there or if there was a beef with anybody but in ensuring that the right and proper thing is done the right and proper way. When you make people comply to these standards, things like this will never recur.

How about the expenses claimed by the team is more than what should be expensed? How sure are you that the Ministry is well prepared to foot these bills? If NFF is truly autonomous, why do they seek for funds from the Ministry? Do you know the chain of commands in these bodies? Or you think someone will just go to Rome because he's a Nigerian athlete and would be expecting funds from the Government?

I really don't think you have an idea of what you are talking about. The cause could be for good but the procedure should not be flawed. You are studying law and I suppose you should know more about this.
all this long story for 3 lines? Hian! undecided

My point then was that YOU don't know if the process was flawed. Just because the ministry says it was flawed doesn't mean it was flawed. Because the ministries are filled with SHADY people who will throw ANYONE under the bus to cover their INCOMPETENCE

I am not saying anything that requires an epistle. All i'm saying is: DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS. You seem to be defending them based on what they said, which is foolhardy for anyone who knows the antics of government undecided

You're a graduate, you should know their ways

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by kaboninc(m): 11:38am On Jul 25, 2016
safarigirl:
all this long story for 3 lines? Hian! undecided

My point then was that YOU don't know if the process was flawed. Just because the ministry says it was flawed doesn't mean it was flawed. Because the ministries are filled with SHADY people who will throw ANYONE under the bus to cover their INCOMPETENCE

I am not saying anything that requires an epistle. All i'm saying is: DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS. You seem to be defending them based on what they said, which is foolhardy for anyone who knows the antics of government undecided

You're a graduate, you should know their ways

Here you go again!

What is the process again if I may ask? A team is to leave for a competition. Lets even assume that they submitted a request for funding and approval. Ordinarily, it is to be approved (but that does not mean that it can't be turned down). However, the funding is the bone of contention. Then you travel (without the necessary funding approval) and you expect the management to just "okay" your request even when there might be some flaws in your proposal?

If the Minister comes out to query the modality for their actions, and what he said is the well known practice in well organized institutions, how then do you know if it was flawed or not?

I am not defending anybody unlike people like you who pander to your emotions. I more of people doing the proper thing the proper way. And requesting for approval before embarking on any task is a very important lesson you should learn. If you read my earlier post, I did state that there could be a miscommunication somewhere but what's most important is that you do things the proper way.

Why don't you tell us if it was flawed or not!

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2016
kaboninc:

Here you go again!

What is the process again if I may ask? A team is to leave for a competition. Lets even assume that they submitted a request for funding and approval. Ordinarily, it is to be approved (but that does not mean that it can't be turned down). However, the funding is the bone of contention. Then you travel (without the necessary funding approval) and you expect the management to just "okay" your request even when there might be some flaws in your proposal?

If the Minister comes out to query the modality for their actions, and what he said is the well known practice in well organized institutions, how then do you know if it was flawed or not?

I am not defending anybody unlike people like you who pander to your emotions. I more of people doing the proper thing the proper way. And requesting for approval before embarking on any task is a very important lesson you should learn. If you read my earlier post, I did state that there could be a miscommunication somewhere but what's most important is that you do things the proper way.

Why don't you tell us if it was flawed or not!
people like you?

The bottom line is everyone is phucked anyway. From the football to athletics, the sports ministry has phucked everyone. So, people like me have to be sentimental because we give a shiit about those little things unlike people like you who don't even contribute to this page unless I say something. So, please, Mr Due Process, allow me to blame whoever the hell I want without trying to scold me like I'm your kid. I blame everyone from Buhari to the NFF anyway

I'm done. Have a great day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 1:12pm On Jul 25, 2016
Troost Ekong hits camp cc instagram

We still await

Mikel (surely will be in camp departs england)
Madu
Akpeyi ...

Aminu Umar doubtful Europa qualifiers ...
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by engineerboat(m): 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2016
adrainuche:
Troost Ekong hits camp cc instagram

We still await

Mikel (surely will be in camp departs england)
Madu
Akpeyi ...

Aminu Umar doubtful Europa qualifiers ...

Confirmed Mikel arrived the Eagles camp.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thenff/status/757557007343718402

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mikron(m): 10:48pm On Jul 25, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Japan U-23s Coach: We’ll Be In Top Form Against Nigeria
[/size]

Japan men’s Olympic football team coach Makoto Teguramori has stated that his side will be at their very best against Nigeria U-23s in their group B clash in Manaus on August 4.

This will be the fourth clash between Japan and Nigeria at the Olympic Games.

In their first meeting at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, Japan won 3-1 with Kunishige Kamamoto scoring a hat-trick.

In Atlanta 1996 and Beijing 2008, Nigeria triumped 2-0 and 2-1 respectively.

According to japantimes.co.jp, Teguramori however pointed out that the outcome of the game against Nigeria, will determine how far his side will go in Rio.

“We’ll be at our peak for the first game,” Teguramori said.

“That game will make or break our medal chances.”

The 48-year-old expressed hope that they will come back from Rio with a medal.

“The mission we’ve taken on is a huge one. Hopefully, we can bring back a medal to add a new chapter in (Japanese soccer) history.”

Meanwhile, Japan will face hosts Brazil in a friendly game on July 30 ahead of their first Rio 2016 match against Nigeria.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/japan-u-23s-coach-well-top-form-nigeria/
[/b]
we re waiting

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mikron(m): 10:49pm On Jul 25, 2016
countdown ............... smiley smiley smiley
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 12:14am On Jul 26, 2016
Let just enjoy the games
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 10:25am On Jul 26, 2016
Ndidi Hits Dream Team Camp : Mikel, Ekong Train With Team

Gent Midfielder Wilfred Ndidi is the latest Foreign based star to hit the Dream team Atlanta training camp.

The 19 year old belgium based defender read more at http://www.soccerassembly.com/ndidi-hits-dream-team-camp-mikel-ekong-train-with-team/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 12:49pm On Jul 26, 2016
Pavarotti:

Ndidi Hits Dream Team Camp : Mikel, Ekong Train With Team

Gent Midfielder Wilfred Ndidi is the latest Foreign based star to hit the Dream team Atlanta training camp.

The 19 year old belgium based defender read more at http://www.soccerassembly.com/ndidi-hits-dream-team-camp-mikel-ekong-train-with-team/

Don't believe this news !!!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2016
adrainuche:

Don't believe this news !!!

Racing Genk defensive midfielder Wilfred Ndidi will not represent Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games.

Speculations are rife in the local media that the former Flying Eagles star has arrived the Hyatt Place Hotel camp of the Dream Team in Atlanta and is set to replace one of the players named in the 18-man squad.

But Racing Genk Brand and Communication Manager Willem Boogaerts has dismissed the reports, stressing that the Nigeria international is in Belgium at the moment and will not travel to the United States or Brazil.

Boogaerts told allnigeriasoccer.com : “Wilfred Ndidi is a player of Genk. He is not going to the Olympic Games and is in Belgium presently. ”

Ndidi, 19, was named in Nigeria’s 35-man provisional squad for the Olympic Games but was omitted from the 18-man roster because Racing Genk did not release him to the Nigeria Football Federation.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19874
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:18am On Jul 27, 2016
[size=14pt]
Chelsea Star Mikel Appointed Team Nigeria Captain At Olympics
[/size]
Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has been appointed captain of Team Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Veteran female table tennis player Olufunke Oshonaike, 40, will assist the Super Eagles skipper in carrying out his duties.

While Funke will be competing in her sixth Olympic Games in Rio, Mikel is set to make his first appearance in the prestigious international sporting competition.

The 29-year-old central midfielder was congratulated by members of the Dream Team after training on Tuesday morning, according to the Media Officer of the squad, Timi Ebikagboro.

NIKE has supplied the Nigeria U23s players and officials with new kits ahead of their departure to Brazil.
Igho Kingsley

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19880

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:32am On Jul 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Exclusive : Watford Striker Isaac Success Granted Work Permit
[/size]
Watford record signing Isaac Success has been cleared to play in the English Premier League after the Home Office issued the Nigeria youth international a work permit,
allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report.

The attacker’s application was granted by the United Kingdom authorities on the 13th of July, but he picked up the document on Tuesday, July 26.

It was a foregone conclusion that Isaac Success will be granted a work visa though he is yet to make his debut for the senior national team of Nigeria.

Based on the new point-based system, the transfer fee the Hornets paid to secure his signature was high and it has been claimed that he is one of the best paid players at the Vic plus he last represented a Spanish topflight team.

Success is in line to make his competitive debut for Watford when they take on Southampton in the Premier League on August 13.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19879
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 8:08am On Jul 27, 2016
terzurum5:
[size=14pt]
Chelsea Star Mikel Appointed Team Nigeria Captain At Olympics
[/size]
Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has been appointed captain of Team Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Veteran female table tennis player Olufunke Oshonaike, 40, will assist the Super Eagles skipper in carrying out his duties.

While Funke will be competing in her sixth Olympic Games in Rio, Mikel is set to make his first appearance in the prestigious international sporting competition.

The 29-year-old central midfielder was congratulated by members of the Dream Team after training on Tuesday morning, according to the Media Officer of the squad, Timi Ebikagboro.

NIKE has supplied the Nigeria U23s players and officials with new kits ahead of their departure to Brazil.
Igho Kingsley

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19880
appointing an Olympics rookie Captain? undecided

I'm just happy for Mikel grin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:11am On Jul 27, 2016
[b][size=14pt]SIASIA: WE ARE SUFFERING IN BRAZIL[/size]

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has raised alarm from the team’s training camp in Atlanta, Georgia, that he has not been paid for the past five months and his team are yet to receive any allowances leading up to the Rio Olympics.

“We are suffering in Atlanta. We have not received any money since we arrived this training camp. I have not been paid for the past five months,” lamented Siasia.

“We will not hold the country to ransom by threatening not to play our matches, but the government has to come to our rescue.

“I know that by the time the Olympics will be over, our monies will not be paid.”

Siasia's team have been overseas for the past one month.

The Olympic team are due to depart the United States of America for Brazil on Friday.

http://africanfootball.com/news/634407/Siasia-I-have-not-been-paid-for-5-months[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2016
safarigirl:
appointing an Olympics rookie Captain? undecided

I'm just happy for Mikel grin

This just shows how unprepared we are for this olympics, also how bad our other sports are doing right now.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2016
joseph1013:
[size=14pt]SIASIA: WE ARE SUFFERING IN BRAZIL[/size]

“We are suffering in Atlanta. We have not received any money since we arrived this training camp. I have not been paid for the past five months,” lamented Siasia.

“We will not hold the country to ransom by threatening not to play our matches, but the government has to come to our rescue.

“I know that by the time the Olympics will be over, our monies will not be paid"
Simply the truth, especially the last paragraph.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by laperson: 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2016
The last paragraph speaks volume of Siasia's expectations. I wouldn't make such an utterance if I have a strong conviction in my abilities to win the gold medal.
terzurum5:

Simply the truth, especially the last paragraph.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:57pm On Jul 27, 2016
laperson:
The last paragraph speaks volume of Siasia's expectations. I wouldn't make such an utterance if I have a strong conviction in my abilities to win the gold medal.

Amunike Won the U17 World Cup and until today, his money, those o his staffs and players are not paid till today.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by videografi2015: 10:46pm On Jul 27, 2016
May the god of soccer favour Nigeria

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 7:58am On Jul 28, 2016
Unfold Your Myth : Charge to the Dream Team

The Rio Olympic games is finally upon us

The Coach has selected his warriors after eons of speculation.

The jury is out already on Samson Siasia and Dream Team VI and the verdict is quite damning though not without good cause

For the fan and the enthusiast who have mentally pictured a 1st eleven of Nigeria’s finest, Siasia’s final list (even though his hand was forced by various events) is disheartening and far from.......read more http://www.soccerassembly.com/unfold-your-myth-charge-to-the-dream-team/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lakesidepapa(m): 9:28am On Jul 28, 2016
Really sad.. All the nigeria group games will be play lately with naija time
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 12:39am On Jul 29, 2016
My DREAM TEAM greatest XI players of all time that I have watched play.

1-Buffon

2-Cafu

3-R.Carlos

4-Vieira

5-Fabio canavaro

6-Puyor

7-Messi

8-Kanu

9-Ronaldo Da Lima

10-Zidan

11-Ronaldinho

Subs

1-C.Ronaldo

2-Maradona

3-Okocha

4-paolo Madini

5-Xavi

6-

Coach- GADIOLA

---------------Kanu--Ronaldo (phenomenon)---------------

Ronadinho------Vieira---Zidan------messi

R-Carlos------Puyo--Canavaro-------cafu

---------------- Buffon--------------
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:19am On Jul 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 Norway
BREAKING: Ifeanyi Matthew signs for Norwegian club Lillestrom
[/size]

Ifeanyi Matthew signs for Lillestrom.

Highly-promising Nigeria midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew has signed a four-year contract with Norwegian club Lillestrom.

This season, the 20-year-old Matthew featured for Kano Pillars on loan from FC Hearts.

He has previously played for another NPFL side El Kanemi Warriors.

He has represented Nigeria at U17 and U20 levels as well as featured at this year’s CHAN in Rwanda, where then Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh picked him as his best player.

Matthew can play as a defensive midfielder, playmaker or offensive midfielder.

He has superb technique, great vision, he is a fine passer of the ball and packs a decent shot.

Nigeria internationals Nosa Igiebor and Anthony Ujah played for Lillestrom before they moved on to bigger clubs and leagues.
africanfootball.com/news/634639/BREAKING-Ifeanyi-Matthew-signs-for-Norwegian-club-Lillestrom
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:22am On Jul 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 Anderlecht
Lillestrom stage transfer coup to snatch Matthew from Anderlecht, Brondby
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/634645/Lillestrom-stage-transfer-coup-to-snatch-Matthew-from-Anderlecht-Brondby[/img]
Ifeanyi Matthew

by Samm Audu

AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal that Norwegian club Lillestrom staged a massive transfer coup when they snapped up Nigeria midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew from bigger clubs like Anderlecht and Danish giants Brondby.

On Thursday, Matthew, 20, bagged a massive four-year contract with Lillestrom after only his first day of training at the Oslo club.

“Ifeanyi is a diamond and we want the very best for him, where he will develop to his full potentials. He has been warmly received at Lillestrom and everyone who knows the game, also knows that this is the beginning of bigger things for the player,” his adviser Adam Mohammed told AfricanFootball.com.

“But he also knows he has to work a lot harder. His time with the various national teams as well as with Kano Pillars and El Kanemi has prepared him well for the many challenges ahead.

“And as long as he remains focused, he will fulfill the huge promise he has shown over time.”

This season, ‘Ify’ showed his class at one of Nigeria’s top clubs Kano Pillars after his breakout season with El Kanemi in the previous campaign.

“He is a very committed and dedicated player,” remarked Pillars spokesman Idris Malikawa.

“He came and added value to our team. We will surely miss him, but we cannot stop him choosing to move up in his career.

“We wish him the very best at his new club as he remains a big ambassador of Kano Pillars in Europe.”

The Kano-born Matthew showed class and poise at this year’s CHAN in Rwanda, featuring in all three group games under the guidance of then Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh.

A highly impressed Oliseh will go on to pick the versatile midfielder as his best Nigeria player at the tournament.

The gifted player first flourished under coach Manu Garba with the Nigeria U17s, the Golden Eaglets, in 2013.

He will then inspire the Flying Eagles to win the African Youth Championship in Senegal last year, scoring three goals and providing the assists for the team’s star striker Taiwo Awoniyi.

A deep cut on his foot after the Flying Eagles opening game against Brazil at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand meant the Junior Eagles struggled to rediscover the form that had installed them as one of the favourites to clinch the championship.

This month, he was picked for NPFL All-Stars, but had to quit the training camp to complete his long-awaited move to Europe.
africanfootball.com/news/634645/Lillestrom-stage-transfer-coup-to-snatch-Matthew-from-Anderlecht-Brondby
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:24am On Jul 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 El Kanemi Warriors
Ifeanyi Matthew handed jersey No 6 by Lillestrom
[/size]

Ifeanyi Matthew will wear jersey No 6 at Lillestrom

Nigeria midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew has been handed “a traditional” jersey No 6 to underscore the confidence Norwegian club Lillestrom have in their latest signing.

“It’s a big show of confidence by the club that he has been given this shirt number, it’s a traditional jersey number,” a source close to the player informed AfricanFootball.com.

The former Kano Pillars and El Kanemi Warriors star joined Lillestrom just a week after they sold Nigerian striker Fred Friday to Dutch club AZ Alkmaar.

Another Nigerian midfielder, Innocent Bonke, is at the club, while Rivers United striker Bernard Ovoke is currently on trials there.

Nosa Igiebor and Anthony Ujah featured for Lillestrom before they eventually transferred to bigger clubs.
africanfootball.com/news/634659/Ifeanyi-Matthew-handed-jersey-No-6-by-Lillestrom
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:28am On Jul 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Akwa Utd
Ubong Ekpai says Euro move makes up for missing Rio Olympics
[/size]

Ubong Ekpai in pre-season training

Former Akwa United star Ubong Ekpai has told AfricanFootball.com that his move to Europe has made up for him missing out on next month’s Rio Olympics.

Ekpai was the match winner for Nigeria in a famous win over Rio Olympics hosts Brazil in a friendly in March.

But he has had to sort out his club future about the time the Olympic team were preparing for Rio 2016 and so he will now not be in Brazil in the summer.

“I will miss the Olympics but at the same time, I thank God my dream to play in Europe finally came true,” said Ekpai, who has been loaned out by top Israeli club Maccabi Haifa to FC Slovan Liberec in the Czech Republic.

“And so far I have enjoyed my time, scoring a goal in one of our pre-season games.”

By Kola Daniel
africanfootball.com/news/634656/Ubong-Ekpai-says-Euro-move-makes-up-for-missing-Rio-Olympics
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:56am On Jul 29, 2016
[size=14pt]
Fred Friday makes Europa League debut
[/size]

Fred Friday in action for AZ Alkmaar

New AZ Alkmaar signing Fred Friday made his UEFA Europa League debut Thursday night as his Dutch club beat PAS Giannina.

Nigerian striker Friday, who moved to AZ from Norwegian club Lillestrom earlier this month, was a 62nd minute substitute.

Friday was the leading scorer in the Norwegian league with eight goals before his move to Holland.

Another Nigerian, Moses Simon, was an unused sub as Belgian club Gent trounced Viitorul of Romania 5-0.

http://africanfootball.com/news/634672/Fred-Friday-makes-Europa-League-debut
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:09am On Jul 29, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Rio 2016: Expectations low on Samson Siasia return
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/98/a6/samson-siasia_1ftsrna784rqu14j864qh7tlxm.jpg?t=-2124501756&w=620&h=430[/img]
Samson Siasia

In 2008, the coach led a talented group within a whisker of Olympic glory but there are no expectations this time around
GOAL COMMENT By Solace Chukwu Follow on Twitter

On the 4th of August, Samson Siasia will be reintroduced to the Olympics, the stage of perhaps his standout achievement as a manager, back in 2008.

His 18-man list for the Rio Games features, most prominently, Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel, who finally has a chance to complete his sweep of appearances at all levels of international football for Nigeria.

The 2008 generation romped to the final, only once failing to win and trailing goals in its wake, almost mocking the Chelsea man’s conscientious objection.

He gets the chance to make amends now, and whereas that team got by with Femi Ajilore and Sani Kaita in midfield, it's a lot harder to see this group turning up its nose at Mikel’s quality.

The other over-aged player in this squad is Super Eagles backup goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi, in itself an indictment of the quality in the senior national team. Eight years ago, Siasia could call on Peter Odemwingie, and it is damning that there are no obvious picks from the senior team that could indubitably take this team to the next level.

Similarly, the prospect of this team graduating to form the bedrock of the senior side in the future is an underwhelming one.

Not that Nigeria has always produced quality U-23 sides - Pius Ikedia, Azubuike Oliseh and Ogbonnaya Kanu in 2000 would laugh in my face if that insinuation was made - but there is the ashen, heavy pall of that Atlanta ’96 side hanging over this age group, in much the same way the senior side remains in the shadow of the 1994 World Cup team.
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/goal_uk/c5/11/emmanuel-amuneke-atlanta-olympics-1996_15d0gy5vwkb461nj0k2mngblr1.jpg?t=-1518288683[/img]
Nothing captures this as succinctly as the fact that, five editions on, we have all kept up the charade of referring to the following iterations as 'Dream Team' sequels, regardless of the presence - or otherwise - of fantasy within.

Psychologically, it is a weight to be constantly compared to a team that was so obviously talented, it bested Brazil and Argentina not by being disciplined and organized, but simply by out-slugging them in two goal-baths.

This team, at its very best, shares a few of the strengths and all of the weaknesses of the Kanu-captained set. Might it not be best to let them forge their own identity?

Solace Chukwu @TheOddSolace

Illogical, but I have a good feeling about Nigeria at #Rio2016Football. Against all the evidence. Not saying they'll win it, of course.

In that sense, their own evident ordinariness, as well as the acceptance of it, may be their biggest asset.
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/f8/2a/nwankwo-kanu-lifted-shoulder-high-after-nigerias-victory-atlanta-1996_11le405638snr1d50m7qop8d7i.jpg?t=-486996466[/img]
There certainly is none of Jay-Jay Okocha’s eclectic dribbling or Sunday Oliseh raking passing in the centre of midfield; neither will the pace of Tijani Babangida be replicated on the flank. For goals, this team will look to Sfaxien forward Junior Ajayi, following the culling of Taiwo Awoniyi from the team. The Liverpool man turned up in spectacular fashion in qualification for the U-23 Afcon last year, but has since looked woefully out of his depth. His time will come.

Solace Chukwu @TheOddSolace

Big fan of Siasia faffing about with likes of Tiongoli and a misfiring Awoniyi for so long, then cutting them at the last.

Mikel will bring his experience to bear at the base of midfield in terms of ball winning and distribution, but the real star of this team is captain Azubuike Okechukwu. A terrific passer over all distances, as well as excellent under pressure and full of stamina, he offers the perfect counterbalance for the innate caution of his more illustrious partner.

This is the one area of the team where the quality is undeniable though. Aside the level of the playing personnel though, the composition of Siasia’s team is somewhat lopsided.
[img]http://twitter.com/GoalcomNigeria/status/757980286059675648/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/img]
Goal.com Nigeria

@GoalcomNigeria

What's Siasia's tactical plan for #Rio2016? Dami Ugbane(@footiedami) analyses the Dream Team http:///2arew13

Seven defenders have been named, and considering the squad limit is 18 (two goalkeepers included), it does seem a bit too pragmatic. The former Super Eagles coach has almost exclusively played 4-4-2 or a lone forward with Ogenekharo Etebo buzzing around him. With only Aminu Umar and, to an extent, Imoh Ezekiel, as natural wide men, the team seems a little understaffed on the flanks.

Of the 16 competing teams, only Iraq and Mexico named more defensive players. Whereas one might argue Shehu Abdullahi and Ndifreke Effiong are versatile, their multifunctionality only extends to the centre of midfield. Dropping one of them for a proper winger would have seemed a more logical approach.

Or perhaps this is a tacit admission of the degree of difficulty that awaits in the group: Sweden, Japan and Colombia is a formidable line-up, and preparations have not exactly flooded the heart with anticipation.

How far will Nigeria get at the 2016 Rio Olympics?
.Group stage

.Quarter-finalists

.Semi-finalists

.Finalists

.Winners

If there is any consolation to be had, it is in the trite assertion that Nigeria performs best when expectations are limited. The trouble with cliches though is that they are bound to become untrue at some point, and the more they are trotted out, the closer one gets to that point of termination.
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/goal_uk/f4/29/lionel-messi-vs-nigeria_vkbvsacs4qr01rihxo4wmhtev.jpg?t=-1762888563[/img]
If you're superstitious, Nigeria's Olympic sojourns tends to go well when they cross paths with the Samurai Blue - in 2008, Victor Nsofor and Victor Anichebe scored in a 2-1 win, while it was Babangida and Okocha in 1996.

Both teams open the group; will the dominance continue, or have the Japanese thrown off the yoke from their necks? It may be this question, rather than the glaring comedown in quality from previous editions, that decides Siasia’s fate.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4079/features/2016/07/28/25969722/rio-2016-expectations-low-on-samson-siasia-return?ICID=HP_HN_1
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.