Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (699445 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 9:37am On Jul 22, 2016
Icon4s:

Of course you know the exceptional ones were nt released by their clubs while the others(majority) are still trying to put themselves together career-wise.

A lot of them are still U20 which makes them elligle to play in the next WYC and 2020 Olympics.

A player like Awoniyi for me is nt ready for the level of competition has been made to go through( I have been saying this all along).

The truth is same goes to a lot of that U17 set. MRI made sure there was little or no age cheating. Alot of them are still kids. 90% of those guys playing U23 would have failed the MRI had it been it works for 23yrs olds.U understand what I mean.

My opinion is Awoniyi should b sent to d U20 camp. At that level he will compete more favorably, contribute more and would also develop his skills more. Same goes for Chidera Ezeh and Musa Yahaya.
Zaharadeen Bello was at the CAF U23 bt was dropped after that first game against Mali. Nothing has been heard of him ever since. He too should go compete for position with d current crop of U20 defenders.

I need nt also tell u what Ifeanyi Mathew can bring to d U20 team. The thing is Amuneke would need to know how best to combine him and K. Nwakali in d same team, for though they play similar position bt in contrasting styles.

I personally believe in career progression. Not all players' development are rapid. Some exceptional ones like Iheanacho and Success have already started making waves while some others are enjoying some loan spells and expecting some thing good at d end of it.

Some of that U17 class are even no where to b found! Eg where are Edwin Okon and Chigozie Obasi?

Okon i know recently got married.

The only combination I want to see in the u20 is k nwakali and ovie ejaria ...Nigeria this should be our golden generation please... see the players all mouth watering ifeanyi Mathew would soon sign for a club to me he's already good enough not to be part of the u20 I don't even understand why he wasn't included to the u23 same as Chisom Chikatara ...

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 9:45am On Jul 22, 2016
Napoleon55:
It's a shame none of the players that won us U-17 world cup three years ago will be representing us in an U-23 football event.
In '96,a similar scenario presented itself and we were able to present for about five players from the all conquering '93 U-17 set for the Olympics.

This year,players like Musa Mohamed,Success and even Iheanacho ought have been the main players representing us,if proper negotiation were been carried out.
How about Ifeanyi Mathew and Musa yahaya that no negotiation was needed.
At least,Yahaya could play from the wings which there was no natural winger on the list.

This our team no creative player, no player with flair etebo is more like a box to box player, Imoh and Aminu Umar same thing speed and brute force if mikel should be doing the creativity then I laugh if we would had yahaya and Mathew am certain we would be doing better I don't see why micheal Babatunde isn't on this list ... the job mikel would do on the pitch Abdulahi Shehu would do it to me ... Nigeria vs Luxemburg and Mali Shehu and Raheem Lawal did very well Babatunde was giving the assist ... Nigerian coaches SMH ...

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 9:45am On Jul 22, 2016
Napoleon55:
It's a shame none of the players that won us U-17 world cup three years ago will be representing us in an U-23 football event.
In '96,a similar scenario presented itself and we were able to present for about five players from the all conquering '93 U-17 set for the Olympics.

This year,players like Musa Mohamed,Success and even Iheanacho ought have been the main players representing us,if proper negotiation were been carried out.
How about Ifeanyi Mathew and Musa yahaya that no negotiation was needed.
At least,Yahaya could play from the wings which there was no natural winger on the list.

This our team no creative player, no player with flair etebo is more like a box to box player, Imoh and Aminu Umar same thing speed and force if mikel should be doing the creativity then I laugh if we would had yahaya and Mathew am certain we would be doing better I don't see why micheal Babatunde isn't on this list ... the job mikel would do on the pitch Abdulahi Shehu would do it to me ... Nigeria vs Luxemburg and Mali Shehu and Raheem Lawal did very well Babatunde was giving the assist ... Nigerian coaches SMH ...
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 3:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
Hmmm... What can I say?
Wetin man go do? Since we can't afford to assemble our best legs for the games.

Well, Make I just fold my hands and watch Siasia n his boys do what they know how to do-may be they 'll go all the way and defile the odds as we've been seeing this yr (starting from Leicester city down to portugal).

I'm presently much more concerned with the post-olympic era(THE WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS) which is the real deal to me.

I only hope d nff puts dia house in order on time. Cos the earlier the better.
But wait, something inside of me is telling me these guys are waiting to evaluate siasia's outing... Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 5:42pm On Jul 22, 2016
The final list can put up a decent showing. It is not that bad . Not the best but it is an ok team.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 5:44pm On Jul 22, 2016
Nigeria vs sudan match u20 abeg when is the time any link or local station go show am ??
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ndidi's Genk sneak through to next round of Europa League
[/size]

Ndidi

Wilfred Ndidi’s Genk Thursday night squeezed into the Europa League third qualifying round on penalties after Buducnost of Montenegro reversed a 2-0 first leg loss to drag this clash to a penalty shootout.

Ndidi’s Belgian club won the first game 2-0 a week ago only for Buducnost to reverse the defeat with two first half goals.

The game then dragged into extra to the credit of Genk who played a man short from the 75th minute, when Ghana’s Bennard Kumordzi was sent off after a straight red card.

Ndidi from Nath Boys of Lagos played the entire game as Genk hung on to win 4-2 on penalties.

They will now clash with Cork City of Republic of Ireland for a place in the final qualifying playoffs.
http://africanfootball.com/news/634121/Ndidi-s-Genk-sneak-through-to-next-round-of-Europa-League
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:54pm On Jul 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
I will be a star says Fred Friday after brace for new Dutch club
[/size]

Fred Friday scores for AZ Alkmaar

Nigerian striker Fred Friday has said he will soon become a big star in Holland after he fired two goals for new Dutch club AZ Almaar in Thursday’s pre-season game.

Friday, who moved from Lillestrom to AZ after topping the goals’ chart in Norway with eight goals, scored his new club’s second and third goals as they trounced SDV Barneveld 5-0.

“Strikers are known for their goals and so it was very important for me to score,” Friday told his club’s television.

“I am happy because this will build my confidence in the team.

“It has been a good experience for me, meeting new people, new environment, trying to adapt. It has been very, very good for me.

“I like it here.”

http://africanfootball.com/news/634124/I-will-be-a-star-says-Fred-Friday-after-brace-for-new-Dutch-club
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Super Teen Chidozie Awaziem Shows Off His New FC Porto Shirt Number
[/size]

FC Porto teen defence sensation Chidozie Awaziem has dumped his last season shirt number 63 for a new number, a sign of the remarkable progress he has made since joining the team 18 months ago El-Kanemi Juniors of Jos.

Awaziem made 10 league appearances for FC Porto last season and earned positive reviews for his performances which made the club hand him a fresh five year deal with a buy out clause of over 20 million Euros.

Ahead of the start of next season, the 19 year old who is sure to be a main stay in the central defence will play in jersey number 22, Owngoalnigeria.com can confirm.

The one time Super Eagles invitee who couldn’t honour the invitation due to visa issues showed off his new shirt number 22 in FC Porto first pre season game against PSV Eindhoven which they lost 0-3.

Sighted by FC Porto at the annual Gee Lec Academy scouting programme in Nigeria, he is one of the six Nigerians on the books of the club with Musa Yahaya, Moses John and Samuel Chukwueze set to join Fidelis Irhene, Chidera Ezeh and Mikel Agu at the club.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/22/nigerian-super-teen-chidozie-awaziem-shows-off-his-new-fc-porto-shirt-number/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
Icon4s:

Of course you know the exceptional ones were nt released by their clubs while the others(majority) are still trying to put themselves together career-wise.

A lot of them are still U20 which makes them elligle to play in the next WYC and 2020 Olympics.

A player like Awoniyi for me is nt ready for the level of competition has been made to go through( I have been saying this all along).

The truth is same goes to a lot of that U17 set. MRI made sure there was little or no age cheating. Alot of them are still kids. 90% of those guys playing U23 would have failed the MRI had it been it works for 23yrs olds.U understand what I mean.

My opinion is Awoniyi should b sent to d U20 camp. At that level he will compete more favorably, contribute more and would also develop his skills more. Same goes for Chidera Ezeh and Musa Yahaya.
Zaharadeen Bello was at the CAF U23 bt was dropped after that first game against Mali. Nothing has been heard of him ever since. He too should go compete for position with d current crop of U20 defenders.

I need nt also tell u what Ifeanyi Mathew can bring to d U20 team. The thing is Amuneke would need to know how best to combine him and K. Nwakali in d same team, for though they play similar position bt in contrasting styles.

I personally believe in career progression. Not all players' development are rapid. Some exceptional ones like Iheanacho and Success have already started making waves while some others are enjoying some loan spells and expecting some thing good at d end of it.

Some of that U17 class are even no where to b found! Eg where are Edwin Okon and Chigozie Obasi?

Okon i know recently got married.
Let's hope Amuneke will do the right thing,thank God he has already pencil down Ejaria for selection,hopefully he does the same to Awaziem,Nura,Yahaya,Eze and Mathew,I'm sure he will invite Sadiq after the Olympics.
He must not depend on his boys.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 7:03pm On Jul 22, 2016
adrainuche:

Lol we are talking of mikel not Paul pogba !! I just feel mikel will disgrace us this tournament these are u23 fast, athletic the last time we took Osaze u saw how good he was ... I really doubt Nigeria if going to reach the final ... next I really want to see d next generation of super eagles I would love to see ndidi, mikel should rest left to me anyways Siasia ish !!!
Pogba not could win EURO,Mikel won AFCON,Africa's version of EURO

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2016
Former Brazil superstar Ronaldo is a fan, saying: “I’m betting on two talents, they’re still developing but have a lot of quality.

"Gabriel Barbosa of Santos and Gabriel Jesus of Palmeiras are very young talents and haven’t even turned 20."

Manchester City secures Gabriel Jesus, (New Ronaldinho) and he is coming with Gabriel Barbosa to the Olympics.

Sad our young attacking talents will not compete with these promising footballers.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 22, 2016
I think this is one of the Unbalanced team Nigeria will ever parade at the Olympics..

Why waste one of the 3 slot for Overage players??. Is Emmanuel Daniel not good enough?? The guy heroic performance at the U23 nations cup was top notch. why should Siasia hand over the baton to Daniel Akpeyi??. He should have gone for Carl Ikeme.

Why would Siasia go to the tournament with 3 left full backs??.

Aside Mikel in midfield, the other midfielders are below average.

The arrows chosen to Pierce the heart of Opponents are looking as if they can't bite..

I hope Siasia will not look for a Scape goat to be blame if he fails to clinch the trophy..

We will fare well in the tournament.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 11:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
Daninya11:
I think this is one of the Unbalanced team Nigeria will ever parade at the Olympics..

Why waste one of the 3 slot for Overage players??. Is Emmanuel Daniel not good enough?? The guy heroic performance at the U23 nations cup was top notch. why should Siasia hand over the baton to Daniel Akpeyi??. He should have gone for Carl Ikeme.

Why would Siasia go to the tournament with 3 left full backs??.

Aside Mikel in midfield, the other midfielders are below average.

The arrows chosen to Pierce the heart of Opponents are looking as if they can't bite..

I hope Siasia will not look for a Scape goat to be blame if he fails to clinch the trophy..

We will fare well in the tournament.

Lol like as if mikel is not below average grin grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lakesidepapa(m): 12:30am On Jul 23, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Rio Bound Besiktas Target Aminu Umar Lifts Team To Europa League Victory With Hat Trick
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/21/rio-bound-besiktas-target-aminu-umar-lifts-team-to-europa-league-victory-with-hat-trick/[/img]
Aminu Umar celebrated his inclusion in Nigeria’s final squad for the Olympics in Rio with a hattrick in Osmanlispor 5-0 victory over Zimbru in the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League.

Umar who has four caps for the Nigeria senior national team struck his first goals via the spot in the 16th minute before adding another in ten minutes later to give them a 2-0 lead going into the half time break.

The forward who is still being heavily courted by Turkish league Champions Besiktas earned himself the match ball five minutes after the break with his third goal to put his team 3-0 up with less than an hour played.

Erdal Kilicaslan increased the tally for the Turks with a 4th before Raul Rusescu rounded up the comprehensive victory over the Moldovans with a 5th to give them a 5-0 win, confirming their passage to the next round on a 7-2 aggregate score.

Since moving to Europe in the 2013/2014 season from Nigeria Premier League side Wikki Tourist, this is the first time he is scoring a hattrick in his professional career ironically it is also his first taste of European continental football.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/21/rio-bound-besiktas-target-aminu-umar-lifts-team-to-europa-league-victory-with-hat-trick/
[/b]

I hope he will replicate this form in RIO

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:51am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
World Exclusive: Man City Slap 20 Million Pounds Price Tag On Nigeria Wonderkid Iheanacho
[/size]

Any club interested in the acquisition of Manchester City talent Kelechi Iheanacho will have to cough up 20 million pounds (approximately €24 million ) before they can land his signature, allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report.

Soccerex recently rated the Nigerian striker as the ninth most valuable U21 player in the world, valuing him in the region of 17 million pounds, while he is valued at five million euros by the experts at Transfermarkt, but these two figures cannot meet his asking price.

“When Kelechi Iheanacho signed a contract with Manchester City, there was no release clause inserted into the deal because City saw him as a “minor” and didn’t know his true value,” a top source told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“But when he started playing and contract negotiations started, Man City wanted to embed 20 million pounds into the new contract.

“Manchester City have no plans to sell Iheanacho for now, so the amount is only symbolic. ”

In the 2015-2016 season, Bournemouth, Sunderland and West Ham had approached the Citizens regarding the signing of Kelechi Iheanacho on loan but the Etihad outfit refused to do business.

The 19-year-old is tied to Manchester City until June 30, 2019.

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19841
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:55am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Chuba Akpom Dad Reveals Iwobi CANNOT Influence His Son To Play For Nigeria
[/size]

Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom is not close to committing his international future to Nigeria, contrary to speculations in the local media that he might be invited for the World Cup qualifiers.

Teammate and very close pal Alex Iwobi became permanently cap-tied to Nigeria when he made his competitive debut against Egypt in an African Nations Cup qualifier back in March.

But Chuba’s dad Azu Akpom has stressed that the decision will not influence his son’s choice to play for England rather than the Super Eagles, adding that he wants to tie down a regular place in Arsenal’s first team.

“Alex’s decision may not sway Chuba, as in football every player finds his path eventually, you can’t say what applies to one will apply to the other, ” said Azu Akpom to papilonews.com.

“Right now, Chuba is only focused on establishing himself at Arsenal.

“After that, and at the right time he will decide which of the national teams he feels more comfortable to play for.”

Born in London 20 years ago, Chuba Akpom has caps for England U16s, U17s, U19s, U20s and U21s .

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19839
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:11am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Agent Confirms Ekpai’s Transfer To Slovan Liberec
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/22/agent-confirms-ekpais-transfer-to-slovan-liberec/[/img]
David Ouziel The agent of Nigeria youth international Ubong Ekpai has confirmed his loan move from Maccabi Haifa to Czech Republic side Slovan Liberec.

The Israeli who is presently in Nigeria trying to push through deals for about six players told Owngoalnigeria.com in Abuja, that Ekpai will arrive Czech Republic tomorrow to resume his career with the Europa League campaigners.

"Talks have been concluded and he will be in Czech tomorrow to start training with his new side, Slovan Liberec are the sort of team Maccabi Haifa wanted for him, they want to see how he will fare in the Europa League and am sure he won’t disappoint them”
He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

”He has the quality to thrive in Europe like most Nigerian players and already we working on deals to transfer some players before the end of the summer transfer window, hopefully we will pull them through without stress”.

David who speaks the local Nigeria Pidgin English and also understands a bit of local dialect Hausa, Ibo, Ibibio and Yoruba puts his willingness to work with Nigerian players down to their quality and his ability to communicate with them in a language they are comfortable with.

owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/22/agent-confirms-ekpais-transfer-to-slovan-liberec/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:15am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iwobi, Akpom Stars As Chamberlain Amazing Chip Goal Help Arsenal Hold Lens To Draw In Pre Season Tie
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/22/iwobiakpom-stars-as-chamberlain-amazing-chip-goal-help-arsenal-hold-lens-to-draw-in-pre-season-tie/[/img]
The Nigerian duo of Chuba Akpom and Alex Iwobi were on parade for Arsenal in their first pre season game against French side Lens which ended in a 1-1 draw with forward Alex Oxlade Chamberlain scoring a beautiful chip to draw the Gunners level.

Arsene Wenger handed starts to the Nigerian duo with Iwobi taking up his preferred role behind the striker which happened to be his childhood friend Akpom who was preferred ahead of Theo Walcott for the top striker role.

Akpom twice came close to scoring in the first half with Iwobi also trying his luck in a half where their combination with French teenager Jeff Reine Adelaide got the Lens defence confused for the minutes they spent on the pitch.

However substitute Chamberlain stole the show with a sumptuous lob after he was played through by Serge Gnabry for the gunners leveller late into the tie.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/22/iwobiakpom-stars-as-chamberlain-amazing-chip-goal-help-arsenal-hold-lens-to-draw-in-pre-season-tie/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:00am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerians react to Dalung’s statement on Siasia’s team
[/size]
By Patrick Omorodion

Nigerians were shocked when news broke out that the national U-23 football team preparing for the Rio Olympics were threatened over lack of fund to cater for their stay in the US where they had gone to train for the Olympics.

Following the cash crunch being suffered by the Nigeria Football Federation, a friend of the team, we gathered, offered to foot the bill of their stay there for a few days until their money is sent to them.

Rather than ask questions about the team’s predicament, the Youth and Sports minister, Barrister Solomon Dalung denied knowledge of the team’s trip to the US, stressing that if anything happens to them, he would not be held responsible. As if that was not shocking enough, he went on to accuse the team officials of engaging in human trafficking.

“I don’t know about the trip to the US and if they are suffering that is the business of those who sponsored them, not my business,” he had said.

This statement has incurred for the minister the ire of football stakeholders, some of who condemned him in their reactions on the social media. Adekunle Salami put his own words this way in his column last week:

The Minister of Sport Solomon Dalung is good enough for a role in the Nigerian movies industry, Nollywood. I wonder what actors like Desmond Elliot, Ramsey Nouah, Chidi Mokeme, Olu Jacobs, Mike Ezunronye, Richard Mofe-Damijo are doing that Dalung cannot do or even better.

From the very beginning, Dalung did not strike me as somebody ready to move sports forward. He came in talking about how he was cheated of his estacode at Mali 2002 Nations Cup where he claimed he was given about $2,000 instead of over $6,000.
After investigations, it was revealed that the highest ranking government official at the competition did not get more than $3,500. One wonders what Dalung was talking about.. .

This minister no doubt is bad news to Nigerian sports. He seems not to have studied the books on his table.. .The minister however shocked the world also on Tuesday with his reaction on the predicament of the national U-23 team currently preparing for the Olympic Games football even in Atlanta, USA.

Dalung said whatever happens to the team was not his business. “I don’t know about the trip to the US and if they are suffering that is the business of those who sponsored them not my business,” he said.

That was very reckless and absurd. The Nigeria Football Federation even despite its internal issues went as far as sending the U-23 team on tour and rather than commend the football body, the minister publicly condemned the federation.

Dalung should simply resign or tell Mr President to assign him to another ministry. He is not worthy of leading Team Nigeria to Rio Olympics. He knows nothing and he is not ready to learn. It is a SHAME.

Hereunder are some of the excerpts from the postings on social media when I commented on Salami’s column:

Temisan Okomi
If the NOC is in charge of athletes, isn’t the NFF in charge of football/footballers? Why is he ‘giving’ athletics “autonomy” but meddling in football? Does he know something the rest of us don’t?

Tonnie OkparaPat O If only our sports journalists can be as open and voice out the real truth and even unearth issue like you do, honestly, things would have taken shape in our sports
Patrick Omorodion Ben on this matter o, I don’t support Dalung.

Yakmut said he left some money, over N640m from the N2.9 billion PMB approved and released for the All Africa Games and Olympics preparation. Dalung ordered some money out of that to be released to the NFF, then Yakmut was removed as DG. And suddenly, the minister is telling Nigerians that Yakmut didn’t give him account on the N2.9 billion. Haba, is he talking to kids? PMB should call Dalung to explain the whereabouts of the money.

Yakmut is available for questioning, why has Dalung not invited him? Dalung is hiding something and we must unearth the truth. We owe Nigerians this....

Read more here;-www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/nigerians-react-dalungs-statement-siasias-team/

[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 7:02am On Jul 23, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Chuba Akpom Dad Reveals Iwobi CANNOT Influence His Son To Play For Nigeria
[/size]

Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom is not close to committing his international future to Nigeria, contrary to speculations in the local media that he might be invited for the World Cup qualifiers.

Teammate and very close pal Alex Iwobi became permanently cap-tied to Nigeria when he made his competitive debut against Egypt in an African Nations Cup qualifier back in March.

But Chuba’s dad Azu Akpom has stressed that the decision will not influence his son’s choice to play for England rather than the Super Eagles, adding that he wants to tie down a regular place in Arsenal’s first team.

“Alex’s decision may not sway Chuba, as in football every player finds his path eventually, you can’t say what applies to one will apply to the other, ” said Azu Akpom to papilonews.com.

“After that, and at the right time he will decide which of the national teams he feels more comfortable to play for.”

Born in London 20 years ago, Chuba Akpom has caps for England U16s, U17s, U19s, U20s and U21s .

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19839
[/b]
the way we're not even interested ehn.... . who is even interviewing this man?

We never finish with the better human beings wey dey here, somebody is disturbing us with this one that is not even rated anywhere with no single accolade.

Please, they shoukd stop giving this man and his son airtime. Let him be there reasoning his career while his mates are doing something with theirs. By the time he ends up like Onuoha, we will not hear their noise again

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 7:05am On Jul 23, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerians react to Dalung’s statement on Siasia’s team
[/size]
By Patrick Omorodion

Nigerians were shocked when news broke out that the national U-23 football team preparing for the Rio Olympics were threatened over lack of fund to cater for their stay in the US where they had gone to train for the Olympics.

Following the cash crunch being suffered by the Nigeria Football Federation, a friend of the team, we gathered, offered to foot the bill of their stay there for a few days until their money is sent to them.

Rather than ask questions about the team’s predicament, the Youth and Sports minister, Barrister Solomon Dalung denied knowledge of the team’s trip to the US, stressing that if anything happens to them, he would not be held responsible. As if that was not shocking enough, he went on to accuse the team officials of engaging in human trafficking.

“I don’t know about the trip to the US and if they are suffering that is the business of those who sponsored them, not my business,” he had said.

This statement has incurred for the minister the ire of football stakeholders, some of who condemned him in their reactions on the social media. Adekunle Salami put his own words this way in his column last week:

The Minister of Sport Solomon Dalung is good enough for a role in the Nigerian movies industry, Nollywood. I wonder what actors like Desmond Elliot, Ramsey Nouah, Chidi Mokeme, Olu Jacobs, Mike Ezunronye, Richard Mofe-Damijo are doing that Dalung cannot do or even better.

From the very beginning, Dalung did not strike me as somebody ready to move sports forward. He came in talking about how he was cheated of his estacode at Mali 2002 Nations Cup where he claimed he was given about $2,000 instead of over $6,000.
After investigations, it was revealed that the highest ranking government official at the competition did not get more than $3,500. One wonders what Dalung was talking about.. .

This minister no doubt is bad news to Nigerian sports. He seems not to have studied the books on his table.. .The minister however shocked the world also on Tuesday with his reaction on the predicament of the national U-23 team currently preparing for the Olympic Games football even in Atlanta, USA.

Dalung said whatever happens to the team was not his business. “I don’t know about the trip to the US and if they are suffering that is the business of those who sponsored them not my business,” he said.

That was very reckless and absurd. The Nigeria Football Federation even despite its internal issues went as far as sending the U-23 team on tour and rather than commend the football body, the minister publicly condemned the federation.

Dalung should simply resign or tell Mr President to assign him to another ministry. He is not worthy of leading Team Nigeria to Rio Olympics. He knows nothing and he is not ready to learn. It is a SHAME.

Hereunder are some of the excerpts from the postings on social media when I commented on Salami’s column:

Temisan Okomi
If the NOC is in charge of athletes, isn’t the NFF in charge of football/footballers? Why is he ‘giving’ athletics “autonomy” but meddling in football? Does he know something the rest of us don’t?

Tonnie OkparaPat O If only our sports journalists can be as open and voice out the real truth and even unearth issue like you do, honestly, things would have taken shape in our sports
Patrick Omorodion Ben on this matter o, I don’t support Dalung.

Yakmut said he left some money, over N640m from the N2.9 billion PMB approved and released for the All Africa Games and Olympics preparation. Dalung ordered some money out of that to be released to the NFF, then Yakmut was removed as DG. And suddenly, the minister is telling Nigerians that Yakmut didn’t give him account on the N2.9 billion. Haba, is he talking to kids? PMB should call Dalung to explain the whereabouts of the money.

Yakmut is available for questioning, why has Dalung not invited him? Dalung is hiding something and we must unearth the truth. We owe Nigerians this....

Read more here;-www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/nigerians-react-dalungs-statement-siasias-team/

[/b]
cc kaboninc, so that when we that know how all these government ministries work are talking, you won't come here and tell us about procedures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:08am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kalika Dismisses U-23 Eagles’ Rio 2016 Chances, Pulls Out
[/size]

By Sab Osuji

Dutch coach Simeon Kalika has declared that Nigerians should not expect miracles from the U-23 Eagles squad at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Brazil because the current team are not as good as the team that won silver medal for Nigeria at the Beijing 2008 Games, completesportsnigeria. com reports.

Siasia on Thursday named his 23-man squad list for the 2016 summer Games in Rio, Brazil, with Chelsea of England midfielder, Mikel Obi making the cut as one of the overage players.

It will be Mikel’s first Olympic Games appearance for Nigeria after missing out on the 2008 edition in Beijing, China, when Nigeria won silver following a 1-0 defeat in the final to Lionel Messi-inspired Argentina.

Kalika, who spoke to Comple tesportsnigeria.com from his Netherlands base, said the 2008 squad was better prepared and had more quality players than the current team now in the USA fine-tuning strategies ahead of next month's summer games in Brazil.

"Samson Siasia is a great coach, we have been friends for long and worked together for many years in the Nigerian U-20s and U-23s," Kalika told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"He works hard to bring the best outof players and of course he is not new to Olympic Games.

"But I think Nigerians should not expect so much from him based on the silver medal we won in 2008 in Beijing because the present team is not at the level of the team that we took to China in 2008 for the Olympic Games.

"Our preparation then was okay which I don't think is the case now.

"Even though the likes of Mikel and Taye Taiwo were not part of the team, we had a fantastic leader in Obinna Nsofor but unfortunately we lost to Argentina that had the luxury of Angel Di Maria and Lionel Messi in their squad which Mikel and Taiwo would have taken care of if they were in the team."

Two months ago, Kalika informed Completesportsnigeria.com he would join Siasia and the Nigeria U-23s for the Olympic Games which get underway in Rio on August 8.

But he revealed he would no longer be available in Brazil to assist Siasia.

"I don't want to be an unofficial appointee,” he said.

"The Nigerian Federation (NFF) have made their appointments into the team."

The Dutch coach who was part of Flying Eagles technical crew during the 2005 FIFA U-20 World Cup in the Netherlands, heaped praises on Nigeria Football Federation NFF for not accepting Frenchman Le Guen's terms as regards Super Eagles coaching job.

"You don't coach a team like the Super Eagles in absentia. You must be amongst the people to observe the domestic league, their talents and also the academies," Kalika submitted.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/kalika-dismisses-u-23-eagles-rio-2016-chances-pulls/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:12am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Japan U-23s Coach: We’ll Be In Top Form Against Nigeria
[/size]

Japan men’s Olympic football team coach Makoto Teguramori has stated that his side will be at their very best against Nigeria U-23s in their group B clash in Manaus on August 4.

This will be the fourth clash between Japan and Nigeria at the Olympic Games.

In their first meeting at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, Japan won 3-1 with Kunishige Kamamoto scoring a hat-trick.

In Atlanta 1996 and Beijing 2008, Nigeria triumped 2-0 and 2-1 respectively.

According to japantimes.co.jp, Teguramori however pointed out that the outcome of the game against Nigeria, will determine how far his side will go in Rio.

“We’ll be at our peak for the first game,” Teguramori said.

“That game will make or break our medal chances.”

The 48-year-old expressed hope that they will come back from Rio with a medal.

“The mission we’ve taken on is a huge one. Hopefully, we can bring back a medal to add a new chapter in (Japanese soccer) history.”

Meanwhile, Japan will face hosts Brazil in a friendly game on July 30 ahead of their first Rio 2016 match against Nigeria.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/japan-u-23s-coach-well-top-form-nigeria/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:15am On Jul 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Yusuf Names Final List for NPFL All-Star Tour August 1
[/size]
By Dotun Omisakin
Lagos — Super Eagles Chief Coach, who is also leading the NPFL All-Star team, Salisu Yusuf has revealed that he intends to make public his final 22-man team that will feature at the Ramon de Carranza Cup in Spain a week before the team depart the shores of the country.

Yusuf made this known after Wednesday's training at the Abuja National Stadium where the players are fine-tuning their preparations before their departure on the 8 August.

"The technical crew is working tirelessly and work has been in progress. The boys have shown a lot of positive response and that is a morale booster. We are not in a hurry to name the final squad yet because we don't know what may occur with any of the players before the final week so we will keep observing and working on them. We hope to name the final squad a week before we leave for Spain," he said.

On the confirmation as chief coach of the Super Eagles, Yusuf said: "I'm delighted and looking forward to the job. I always welcome the challenge to serve the country and give my quota to the development of the game in Nigeria."
allafrica.com/stories/201607220719.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:29am On Jul 23, 2016
safarigirl:
cc kaboninc, so that when we that know how all these government ministries work are talking, you won't come here and tell us about procedures.
This portion below simply shows that Chuba Akpom and his dad are just confused and about to regret their decision to prefer England to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by abutrekka: 8:56am On Jul 23, 2016
www.trekbet..com .The new Prediction blog that is making wave, We over a variety of options for our viewers, Over 2.5,Over 1.5, BTTS, Corners and Cards Tips, General Forcast, Expert Tips and the accuracy rate quite impressive. Give us a shot today and let's take the Bookmakers know that the time for Punters to take over is here. Visit www.trekbet..com today for you soccertips and predictions. (Daily and weekends Picks inclusive)
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 9:21am On Jul 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Former Brazil superstar Ronaldo is a fan, saying: “I’m betting on two talents, they’re still developing but have a lot of quality.

"Gabriel Barbosa of Santos and Gabriel Jesus of Palmeiras are very young talents and haven’t even turned 20."

Manchester City secures Gabriel Jesus, (New Ronaldinho) and he is coming with Gabriel Barbosa to the Olympics.

Sad our young attacking talents will not compete with these promising footballers.
is gabriel jesus and gabriel fernando the same person?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:45am On Jul 23, 2016
enomakos:
is gabriel jesus and gabriel fernando the same person?

Gabriel Fernando de Jesus. Yes.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 6:34pm On Jul 23, 2016
cry cry cry our u20 Chai
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Gabriel Fernando de Jesus. Yes.
ok thanks bro he is a very talented player he reminds me of ronaldo de lima same style of play

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by adrainuche(m): 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2016
So this is our only hope !!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.