Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,457 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (698757 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:32am On Mar 31, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Arsenal Starlet Alex Iwobi Still Awaiting Fifa's Clearance[/size]

Arsenal under 21 skipper Alex Iwobi is doubtful to make his international debut for Nigeria's Olympic National Team in the second leg of the All Africa Games qualifier against Zambia on April 11.

Iwobi's representative, Emmanuel Okocha, has revealed that the attacking midfielder has not yet received clearance from Fifa, meaning he is not eligible to represent Nigeria at any level for now.

Football's governing body must approve his onetime international allegiance switch, having played 11 times for England's youth teams before committing his future to Nigeria.

''Alex has not yet gotten approval from Fifa. The last time I spoke with them, they told me it's not yet ready,'' said Emma Okocha to SL10.ng.

''They are still patiently waiting for the paperwork to be completed. They have applied, and maybe within the week it will be ready.

''If it comes out before then, he will play against Zambia.''

Alex Iwobi's heart is with Nigeria and he did not hesitate when he was invited to train with the Dream Team in January before being handed a call - up for the game with Gabon a month later.

So far this season, the 18 year old has represented the Arsenal Under 21s 11 times in the U21 Premier League, scoring in matches against Stoke, Wolves and Newcastle United.
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:43am On Mar 31, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Zambia/Nigeria Match Moved To Lusaka[/size]

The much talked about All African Games Qualifiers second leg match between Zambia U23 and Nigeria U23 will take place at the National Heroes Stadium in Lusaka and not the Levy Nwanawasa Stadium in Ndola.

Both sides played out a 0-0 draw in the first leg encounter played at the Abuja National Stadium and much will be at stake in the return leg clash.

Zambia will be favourites to go through in the final round of the qualifiers and they will be aiming to cause an upset against the 1996 Olympic Games Football Champions.

It leaves the Dream Team with a lot to do when they visit Lusaka.

Fighton Simukonda's side remained resolute throughout the encounter as his boys withstood the firepower of the Nigerians who could not pierce the Zambian defence despite scoring six past Gabon in the previous round.

After the game, coach Samson Siasia vowed to win the return leg to qualify for the 2015 All African Games.

The return leg match has been fixed for 11th April.

Meanwhile, coach Siasia is relying on the presence of Europe based players to help his side annihilate the stubborn Zambians.

The former Super Eagles gaffer would add some foreign based players to the five players drafted from the 2015 African U20 Championship winning squad ahead of the game in Lusaka.

The Zambians held Nigeria to a goalless draw in Abuja in the first leg and Siasia's side must win the return leg if they hope to qualify for the quadrennial showpiece which serves as the 2016 Olympic football event qualifiers.

Siasia is weighing up his options regarding the foreign professionals to be added to the team as the team becomes more desperate to achieve a favourable result in the second leg on 11th April.

Five members of the Flying Eagles have been called up to beef up the team and they have been told to report at the team’s Febson Hotel camp in Abuja[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:46am On Mar 31, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Wasiu Lawal: Dream Team Must Attack[/size]

Wasiu Lawal has urged the Nigeria U23 team to attack when they visit Zambia U23 in an All African Games Qualifiers second leg match at the National Heroes Stadium in Lusaka on 11th April.

The Kogi United's goalkeeper trainer has tasked handlers of the team to deploy an all attacking football against the Zambians in the crunch return leg fixture, after the first leg game ended goalless in Abuja.

According to the coach, the Dream Team will be going into the game in Lusaka with the aim of scoring goals and end the game in their favour.

“The team will be going into the game as if it's a cup final. The first solution for us is to attack,” the coach stated in a chat with SL10 reporter Ademetan Abayomi on Monday.

“We need to attack immediately, score the first goal and try to put the 2nd and 3rd and also tightening the back so as not to concede a goal,” he stated.

Meanwhile, the coach has also called for support from well meaning Nigerians ahead of the Super Falcons crucial clash game against their Malian counterparts.

“I invite the public to push the team to victory, to support them in their numbers so that they can record a good result in Abuja.

Despite being forced to a 1-1 draw in Bamako, the players are well defined in a good state of mind, and they are willing to give the victory to women football advocates, who haven't stopped believing in them,” he added.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:42pm On Apr 02, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Siasia Hails Flying Eagles Captain[/size]

As they continue preparations for the final round, second leg All Africa Games qualifier against the Young Chipolopolo of Zambia, Dream Team VI coach, Samson Siasia has hailed the impact of Flying Eagles captain, Musa Mohammed.

The right-back is one of five Flying Eagles players invited to the Nigerian U23 team by Siasia, and despite having only been with the team for a few days, the former Super Eagles striker is already singing the praise of the 18-year-old.

“I think he’s a very good full back. He’s got great energy and his crosses and very good,” Siasia said.

“I think he’ll be an asset for us as we prepare. Let’s just hope everyone remains fit and ready for the game. But as for him [Mohammed], I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen so far.

“I like the way he connects the strikers and that is one of the things we missed in the first leg against the Zambians,” Siasia said.

The 2008 silver medal winning coach also adds that he’s still expecting the invited overseas based players and confirms they’re expected between Monday and Tuesday of next week.

“We still expect them, and hopefully between Monday and Tuesday next week, they will be here,” he added.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:44pm On Apr 02, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Siasia Invites 'Nigerian Messi' Eteobong Akpan To Dream Team[/size]

SL10.ng understands that Nigeria Under- 23s head coach, Samson Siasia, has extended an invitation to Club Africain trainee Eteobong Akpan to join the Dream Team VI ahead of their crucial All Africa Games qualifier against Zambia.

The Nigeria Under 23s are bidding to qualify for the competition in Congo Brazzaville, but have a mountain to climb after they could only draw goalless in the first leg held in Abuja.

Samson Siasia is now in search of a messiah to save the team in his quest to be in the Republic of Congo in September and has opened a line of communication with several foreign-based players.

After being briefed by his scouting network, the retired Nigeria international has called - up Eteobong Akpan for the clash in Lusaka on April 12.

On WednesdayAkpan boarded a Royal Air Maroc flight from Tunisia to Lagos where he'll connect another flight to Abuja.

Aged 17, he cannot sign a professional contract with Club Africain until November when he attains the age of majority.

The Freestan Football Academy product has been training with the Tunisian club for the past six months.

Eteobong Akpan can be deployed as a winger or a striker, and his minders have likened him to Argentina superstar Lionel Messi.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 6:47pm On Apr 02, 2015
i wish the team goodluck
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:08am On Apr 03, 2015
Y has he nt invited Aaron Samuel? angry

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Vejle Refuse To Release Dream Team Invitee Onuachu[/size]

Dream Team VI coach, Samson Siasia, will have to do without FC Midtjylland loanee Paul Onuachu in the make or mar All Africa Games qualifier against Zambia in Lusaka next weekend.

The Sporting Director of Vejle BK, Steen Thychosen, has disclosed that the beanpole forward is battling to overcome a toe injury, and will not travel to Abuja to join his international colleagues.

''Paul has had some problems with his toe for some time, so we don' t think it's a good idea that he joins the national team this time, '' Steen Thychosen said to SL10.ng.

''He is not ready to participate in the match against Zambia.

''Paul himself has agreed on the decision, that he has to stay in Denmark.''

Paul Onuachu would have missed two games in the Danish First Division if Vejle BK had sanctioned his trip to Africa for the international game, which falls outside the Fifa calender for national teams get-togethers .

Vejle BK's sporting director added : ''If he had to go, he was to leave already today, and therefore he would miss two matches in the Danish First Division against FC Roskilde and FC Fredericia.

''He is an important player for our squad, and we' re happy that he stays with us for the next matches, if he's able to play.''

The FC Ebedei product came off the bench for the last 15 minutes of the league game against Skive on Thursday afternoon[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 1:28am On Apr 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Siasia may turn to Ajagun for inspiration[/size]

Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia is now considering Panathiniakos midfielder Abduljaleel Ajagun to inspire his disjointed midfield.

Siasia’s team have struggled in defence and midfield and Ajagun could well now be the answer to the team’s problems in the middle of the park, team sources told AfricanFootball.com

Central midfielder Ajagun was the star for the Flying Eagles as they reached the knockout rounds of the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey.

His goals, creativity and overall play at this tournament will earn him a contract at top Greek club Panathinaikos.

This season, Ajagun has scored six goals for Panathinaikos - four in the league, one in the Europa League and one in the cup.

And Panathinaikos are leading the table with 61 points from 27 games.

Former Nigeria U20 coach John Obuh has already backed the invitation of Ajagun to the U23 team.

Nigeria U23 team face a crunch tie against Zambia on April 12 for a place in the 2015 All Africa Games football event.

Both teams played out a goalless draw in Abuja last month. [/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 1:30am On Apr 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Siasia fears for Enyimba star[/size]

Former Nigeria national team coach, Samson Siasia has warned that Enyimba midfielder, Kingsley Sokari risks not fulfilling his potentials.

Sokari currently turns out regularly for Nigeria’s Under-20 side, the under-23s as well as the senior national team, the Super Eagles.

Siasia, who currently trains Nigeria’s Under-23 side says the trend may detrimentally affect the youngster’s development.

“He’s a very good player and one that I want in my Under-23 team. However, he’s usually on the move (travelling to fulfill professional duties) and it does not help me as regards blending for my (Under-23) team.

“We just have to see how we work with him and make sure that we get the best for him because he’s a very special player.

“When he’s having a good day, he can destroy a lot of teams,” Siasia told supersport.com.

On his part, Sokari says he has no qualms playing top flight games for the different sides on a regular basis.

“I am used to it because in the Nigerian league, I usually play matches for Enyimba in midweeks and on weekends.

“Most times, we have to embark on long road trips for these matches. I am still young and I can handle it,” he said.

Sokari was part of the Nigeria squad that drew 1-1 with South Africa in an international friendly in Nelspruit last Sunday.
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:35am On Apr 04, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Siasia fears for Enyimba star[/size]

Former Nigeria national team coach, Samson Siasia has warned that Enyimba midfielder, Kingsley Sokari risks not fulfilling his potentials.

Sokari currently turns out regularly for Nigeria’s Under-20 side, the under-23s as well as the senior national team, the Super Eagles.

Siasia, who currently trains Nigeria’s Under-23 side says the trend may detrimentally affect the youngster’s development.

“He’s a very good player and one that I want in my Under-23 team. However, he’s usually on the move (travelling to fulfill professional duties) and it does not help me as regards blending for my (Under-23) team.

“We just have to see how we work with him and make sure that we get the best for him because he’s a very special player.

“When he’s having a good day, he can destroy a lot of teams,” Siasia told supersport.com.

On his part, Sokari says he has no qualms playing top flight games for the different sides on a regular basis.

“I am used to it because in the Nigerian league, I usually play matches for Enyimba in midweeks and on weekends.

“Most times, we have to embark on long road trips for these matches. I am still young and I can handle it,” he said.

Sokari was part of the Nigeria squad that drew 1-1 with South Africa in an international friendly in Nelspruit last Sunday.
[/b]

Coach Daniel Amokachi should have left Sokari out of the Friendly squad because the Under-23 qualifiers is important. I agree with Siasia because of how crucial the Zambian match is.

However, I agree with Sokari when it comes to him being young and able to cope.

The coaches should have an understanding between themselves and make sure he plays the most important games.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:22pm On Apr 06, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Quartet To Join Dream Team On Monday Evening[/size]

Ahead of the last round, second leg All Africa Games qualifier against the Young Chipolopolo of Zambia this weekend, four of the Dream Team VI players that played on the continent for their respective clubs are expected to rejoin the team latest Monday evening, SL10.ng understands.

The duo of Freedom Omofonma and Oghenekaro Etebor were in action for Warri Wolves as they secured a 2-0 aggregate win over Dedebit of Ethiopia to progress to the second round of the qualifying series for the group stages of the 2015 CAF Confederations Cup.

And in Cairo, it wasn't the same happy news as the duo of Kingsley Sokari and Peter Onyekachi couldn’t do much to prevent Enyimba from exiting the 2015 CAF Champions League, as they lost out to SC Smouha.

And with their club commitments on the continent done with, SL10.ng has been informed that all four players are expected to head straight to Abuja and rejoin the national U23 team.

The Dream Team VI face a daunting task against the Zambian U23 team in the race to qualify to the All Africa Games, with the first leg having ended in a 0-0 draw in Abuja two weekends ago.

Meanwhile, the two invited overseas based player; Aminu Umar and Atanda Sadiq are also expected to join up with the team on Monday.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:53am On Apr 07, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Siasia may turn to Ajagun for inspiration[/size]

Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia is now considering Panathiniakos midfielder Abduljaleel Ajagun to inspire his disjointed midfield.

Siasia’s team have struggled in defence and midfield and Ajagun could well now be the answer to the team’s problems in the middle of the park, team sources told AfricanFootball.com

Central midfielder Ajagun was the star for the Flying Eagles as they reached the knockout rounds of the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey.

His goals, creativity and overall play at this tournament will earn him a contract at top Greek club Panathinaikos.

This season, Ajagun has scored six goals for Panathinaikos - four in the league, one in the Europa League and one in the cup.

And Panathinaikos are leading the table with 61 points from 27 games.

Former Nigeria U20 coach John Obuh has already backed the invitation of Ajagun to the U23 team.

Nigeria U23 team face a crunch tie against Zambia on April 12 for a place in the 2015 All Africa Games football event.

Both teams played out a goalless draw in Abuja last month. [/b]

I wonder y Siasia has left out the John Obu boys from this team. Players like Ajagun, Kayode, Olaitan and Omeruo should be the back bone of this team. Y has he not also invited Imoh Ezekiel, Kenedy Otigba and Aaron Samuel?

He wants to start behaving like Keshi that will throw away experienced Players for rookies so it will b in record that he discovered them. Now that those his rookies cant beat Zambia at home he is now looking for help from different players he didnt give a chance before.

Mtcheew Nigerian coaches never learn.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:01am On Apr 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]It's over for Nigeria boasts Zambia U23 coach[/size]

Zambia U23 team coach Fighton Simukonda has declared that Nigeria will not qualify for the All African Games football event at their expense.

The return leg of the AAG qualifier is billed for Sunday afternoon in Lusaka after the first leg in Abuja ended in a goalless draw.

Simukonda who has his full complement of invited players for this epic clash, said, "Nigeria can't come here and beat us in Lusaka, we are ready for Nigeria we can even play them right now."

A reliable source close to the Zambian team informed they at full strength for the second leg.

"Zambia U23 team's camp is bubbling,” AfricanFootball.com was informed.

“Red Arrows midfielder Bruce Musakanya, who missed the first leg in Nigeria due to injury, is fully fit and in camp. Bloemfontein Celtic of South Africa midfielder Mukuka Mulenga who was not released for the first leg is in camp already.

“The players who played for Power Dynamos and Zesco United in continental games are here too. The spirit is high."[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:05am On Apr 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Turkish club stop Aminu from Nigeria U23 qualifier[/size]

Umar Aminu’s club Osmanlispor will not release the forward for Nigeria’s crunch All Africa Games qualifier in Zambia this weekend.

Promotion-seeking Osmanlispor have notified the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Aminu will not be available for Sunday’s crucial AAG clash in Lusaka.

Aminu’s club promotion drive is faltering after they lost on the road at the weekend. They have now slipped to fourth place on 44 points, 12 points behind leaders Kaysirespor.

Danish club Midtjylland have also informed the NFF striker Paul Ebere is not available as he is nursing an injury.

However, Flying Eagles star Bernard Bulbwa has finally joined the U23 training camp in Abuja after he returned from Tunisia, where he signed for Esperance.

Albania-based defender Atanda Ololade has also joined up with the squad.

The Nigeria U23s played out a 0-0 draw with their Zambian counterparts last month. [/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:28pm On Apr 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Samson Siasia picks 18 for Zambia game[/size]

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/a5/bc/samson-siasia_1txkylgare5fi1i4w8hzohrth4.jpg?t=-1358580696&w=620&h=430[/img]

The Dream Team V1 gaffer has named his final squad for the Junior Chipolopolo in April 11 All African Games qualifier billed for Lusaka

Nigeria U23 gaffer has named a list of 18 players ahead of Saturday’s make or break 2015 All African Games qualifier against host, Zambia.

Coach Samson Siasia’s men were forced to a 0-0 draw in the first leg played in Abuja two weeks ago and must get a win or a scored draw to qualify for the quadrennial African sports fiesta which also serves as qualifiers for the 2016 Olympic Games football event in Rio, Brazil.

Flying Eagles attacking duo of Awoniyi Taiwo and Bernard Bulbwa made the cut while Dele Alampasu was dropped from the Lusaka bound team.

The team is expected to depart for Zambia on Wednedsay.

Goal keepers: Daniel Emmanuel, Akande Abiodun.

Defenders: Obanor Erhun, Oduduwa Segun, Amuzie Stanley, Atanda Sodiq, Mustapha Abdullahi, Iroha Chukwuebuka.

Midfielders: Azubuike Okechukwu, Godwin Savior, Mohammed Usman, Sokari Kingsley.

Forwards: Etebo Oghenekaro, Ajayi Junior, Onyekachi Peter, Awoniyi Taiwo, Ubong Ekpai, Bernard Bulbwa.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles trio impress Dream Team handlers[/size]

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/c7/1c/taiwo-awoniyi-dele-alampasu-mustapha-abdullahi_1se0elia15gzk1mwabewk3g2qq.jpg?t=-2081076252&w=620&h=430[/img]

The three players from the U20 team that joined the U23s have brought a lot of competition to the side ahead of their trip to Zambia

The three invited Flying Eagles players – Taiwo Awoniyi, Musa Mohammed and left back Mustapha Abdullahi – have been dazzling in training with the U23 side ahead of their trip to Zambia.

Coach Samson Siasia invited five boys from the victorious African Youth Championship U20 team to the Dream Team to monitor them and see if they can fit into his plans. The remaining two are Dele Alampasu and Bernard Bulbwa.

The Dream Team defeated Abuja Football College 1-0 in a friendly match on Thursday but it was the star performance of the trio of U20 players and one of the four invited foreign-based professionals, Club Africaine’s attacking midfielder Patrick Nwankwo, which caught the eyes.

Bayelsa United midfield maestro Azubuike Ikechukwu scored the lone goal for the Dream Team in the 24th minute when his shot was deflected in.

The inclusion of the three players brought out the needed competition among the players as they played the friendly with zeal and desperation to win the match.

Musa Mohammed was a joy to watch from the right back with his pace and skills to join the attack as well as defend effectively too.

Awoniyi, as expected, was a major threat to the Abuja Football College team as the College boys did not have answers to the striker’s pace, power, shots and dribbling skills.

Also, left back Mustapha Abdullahi stood like the Rock of Gibraltar in his position while Patrick Nwankwo mesmerized in midfield.

Media officer Timi Ebikagboro expressed happiness about the improvement of the team so far.

He said: “The team is gradually gelling with what we have seen in this match today. The inclusion of the Flying Eagles trio has brought intense competition for shirts in the team.

“The competition for places in the team will become more interesting when the other invited three players join the team next week while we are still awaiting the arrival of 10 players that have gone to play continental matches for their respective clubs in the country,” Ebikagboro disclosed.

Nigeria will go to Zambia in search of a ticket to the 2015 All African Games after their first leg final round qualifier in Abuja ended goalless.

The epic encounter will be played inside the National Heroes Stadium in Lusaka.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles captain Musa Muhammed absconds from Siasia’s team[/size]

The captain of the U20s has left the U23 camp without informing the officials as he is set to sign a deal with a club in Germany
Flying Eagles captain Musa Muhammed has left the camp of the Nigeria U23s in Abuja without informing coach Samson Siasia or any other official of the team.

“Musa has left the camp without telling anybody of his where about,” Siasia told media in Abuja when asked about the skillful right back.

“But I can assure you that there is no cause for alarm because we have enough players that can deliver the goods here. The boys just need to play to instructions in the return leg in Lusaka and we will pick the All Africa Games ticket, I am confident of this,” he said.

It was also gathered that the Flying Eagles skipper allegedly left for Germany on Friday night in the company of his agent cum manager, Abbah Mohammed, who once managed former Golden Eaglets striker, Christantus Macaulay, to seal a deal with an unknown club.

The source also frowned at the way the player left the camp after being officially released by the Nigeria Football Federation to join the U23 national team together with four players of the Flying Eagles namely Mustapha Abdullahi, Taiwo Awoniyi, Benard Bulbwa and goalkeeper Dele Alampasu.

The other four players have been dazzling at training while Siasia, despite trying to hide it, was very disappointed with the player for not consulting him before making the trip.

Sources in the Dream Team camp also disclosed that the coach had taken huge interest in the defender and had already tipped him to man the right back position for the team in Lusaka because of his productive display and his good crosses.

But the coach has now given the player up till today to show up in camp or forget about being a member of the team.

Musa Mohammed was one of the early arrivals to the Dream Team when the five Flying Eagles players were drafted into the U23 side.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 1:39pm On Apr 09, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Exclusive Interview With Samson Siasia[/size]

SL10.ng has snatched an interview with Samson Siasia as his Dream Team get set to travel to Lusaka.

The coach speaks to sl10.ng about their preparations and expectations for the All Africa Games qualifier against The Young Chipolopolo of Zambia. The former Super Eagles striker led his team to a 2-0 win over amateur side The Abuja Football College in a warm-up game at the Abuja National Stadium on Wednesday and must replicate a similar feat to be sure of qualification to the All Africa Games in Congo. In this interview, he talks about his thoughts on the game and much more. Enjoy.

Sl10: Congratulations coach on the win over Abuja Football College. I guess you must be satisfied with your players and probably expecting more of the same from them in Lusaka

Siasia: Yes of course. Every time you win a game you have to be excited. It is one thing to be excited about a win, and another to be satisfied and I am excited and satisfied about it. It was a good game and a good way for us to end our preparations and we have to take it up from here.

Sl10: How would you describe your two goal hero, Taiwo Awoniyi?

Siasia: I am satisfied with him of course. A player cannot score two goals that won you a match without you being satisfied. He has really lived up to expectations even before this match. He had been scoring in our training sessions and I am happy he has done that in a match setting and hopefully he will do same in Lusaka. I’m happy for him.

Sl10: Did you ever have any doubt about him at any point?

Siasia: Well maybe there was a bit of doubt because he’s a very young boy with no league experience and coupled with his lean frame, but I never doubted his talents. I always knew he could score goals and I am happy he has proved me right. The way he takes the ball and the way he puts it in the net is quite remarkable for his age and experience. It’s good we have him.

Sl10: And looking at the game in Lusaka now, what tactical changes do you hope to make from the first leg?

Siasia: The boys just need to play to instructions and follow what we have told them. I cannot share my tactical plan here now but I hope the just follow our game plan and stick to it, except when we have to change. If they do that I’m sure we’ll win.

Sl10: Does that mean you’re going defensive, more like parking the bus?

Siasia: (Laughs). Park what bus? We are not going to Zambia to play a defensive tactics. We are an attacking side and we will go there to attack. We will not park the bus like Mourinho. But even though we are an attacking team, we must also defend smartly. We’re going to a hostile environment and we must be disciplined and avoid playing unnecessary offside traps which could cost us. But our mission is clear; which is to win there and that we hope to do.

Sl10: Thank you very much coach

Siasia: You’re welcome[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43pm On Apr 09, 2015
Interesting Interview. I hope the players make us proud.

Taiwo Awoniyi is a gamble but I believe it will pay. Also, the experience at this level will improve Taiwo's game.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:59pm On Apr 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Brace Hero Awoniyi Hands AAG Ticket To Nigeria[/size]

Nigeria qualified for the 11th All Africa Games thanks to a brace from Taiwo Awoniyi in a 2-1 over Zambia at the National Heroes Stadium on Sunday.

They qualified for the tournament 2-1 on aggregate.

Both sides played out a 0-0 draw in the first leg that took place at the Abuja National Stadium on Sunday 22nd March.

The much talked about game got underway at exactly 2pm Nigerian Time.

The Nigerians needed an outright win or a score draw to be guaranteed a place at the All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville from September 3rd to 18th this year.

Zambia were favourites to go through in the final round of the qualifiers and they were aiming to cause an upset against the 1996 Olympic Games Football Champions.

Samson Siasia's wards came within inches of breaking the deadlock in the 4th minute when Godwin Saviour burst clear off two defenders and placed a low shot which the keeper confidently gathered.

Nineteen minutes later the hosts did hit the upright, with goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel well beaten.

On a foray forward, Nigeria caused a moment of panic and they were in front in the 34th minute and it was Flying Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi who scored for them.

Nigeria almost made it two just before halftime but the Zambian keeper kept it out at a second grab.

The first 45 minutes ended with the Lusaka fans booing the Fighton Simukonda tutored side.

Saviour was menacing down the flank with his pace and direct approach. However, he should have done better when presented with the chance to punish the Zambians some minutes into the second half.

The midfield combination of Azubuike Okechukwu and Kinsgley Sokari was commendable as the duo formed a lethal partnership as the defensive and attacking midfielders respectively.

Zambia decided to send long balls to the danger area of the Dream Team, but the defence line marshalled by captain Erhun Obanor was equal to the task.

Central defender Atanda Sodiq who is currently on the books of Albanian Super Liga outfit FK Apollonia also repelled most of attacks of the Zambians.

In the 73rd minute, Nigeria had the chance to rubber stamp their progress to the AAG, but they were complacent in front of goal.

They were made to pay for their wayward miss when Shadrick Malambo levelled for the homers in the 78th minute.

The fans roared and urged their darling team to score another goal, as the Nigerian side played with some urgency..

Nigeria then threw everything at finding a winner, and finally got their wish when Awoniyi struck home the winner three minutes from time.

How they started:
Dream team VI XI v Zambia: Emmanuel Daniel, Erhun Obanor, Segun Oduduwa, Stanley Amuzie, Atanda Sodiq, Kingsley Sokari, Azubuike Okechukwu, Taiwo Awoniyi, Oghenekaro Etebo, Bernard Bulbwa, Godwin Saviour
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 5:29pm On Apr 12, 2015
taiwo awoniyi just save siasia job
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:25pm On Apr 12, 2015
Awoniyi, Super star in the making. I am proud of him. Fast learner.

I hope Siasia invites Iheanacho. Nacho will be a great addition to this squad.

Musa Muhammad should have taken part in this game and departed for his trials immediately after this game with the consent of Coach Siasia and Coach Garba.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 10:33pm On Apr 12, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Awoniyi, Super star in the making. I am proud of him. Fast learner.

I hope Siasia invites Iheanacho. Nacho will be a great addition to this squad.

Musa Muhammad should have taken part in this game and departed for his trials immediately after this game with the consent of Coach Siasia and Coach Garba.

Siasia should go and look for new players.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:39pm On Apr 12, 2015
tbaba1234:

Siasia should go and look for new players.

There is no need. Immediately after the Under-20 World Cup, most of Manu Garba's boys should be integrated into the Olympic team to promote continuity.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zoboizee: 7:46am On Apr 13, 2015
they would have gone abroad. he needs very good home based players.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:57am On Apr 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Siasia relieved despite poor home form[/size]

Head coach of Nigeria’s Under-23 football team, Samson Siasia, has moved to praise his charges after they defeated Zambia 2-1 in their second leg, final round 2015 All Africa Games qualifier on Sunday.

The Dream Team VI beat Zambia’s under-23s 2-1 at the National Heroes Stadium, Lusaka to book a place in the men's football event of the AAG thanks to a brace from striker, Taiwo Awoniyi.

Siasia said it was a momentous achievement but insisted that his boys made life difficult for themselves by failing to convert the plethora of chances they created in the first leg of the tie in Abuja.

“From our games that we played earlier, we always played better away (from home). We scored four goals against Gabon.

“We don’t play that well at home. We had a couple of chances at home -clear cut chances - we didn’t score.

“Our plan was to come here and defend high up (the pitch) and so we could catch them on fast breaks and that was actually what happened,” Siasia said at the post-match press conference.

He added that the team would continue to improve as he also looks to successfully guide the country’s under-23s to a place at the football event of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Jainero, Brazil.

“We take this team very seriously because we want to qualify for the All Africa Games (AAG). It has been a very long time since we last qualified for the competition.

“We are also preparing for the Olympic qualifiers too but this one (AAG) will help us prepare a lot better because we will continue playing friendly games.

“This team has been together for just about four months. It is a team that is growing.

“With time, we will see (better performances) from this team and more chances will be created in the games we play.

“The chances we missed in Nigeria (against Zambia in the first leg) were a little bit too much.

“We came out here to do it the hard way. It was a difficult game but we thank God that we played to instructions.

“We had those chances and we took them and that’s what football is about,” he said.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:07am On Apr 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Team effort behind win in Zambia, says Awoniyi[/size]

Taiwo Awoniyi has stated that his side's 2-1 victory against Zambia in the final round, second leg qualifier for the All African Games in Lusaka on Sunday was as a result of team effort and not his brilliance.

The Flying Eagles forward got a brace that helped Samson Siasia's men secure a 2-1 aggregate win over their hosts to qualify to the 2015 All African Games.

"First, I give God the glory for the priviledge given to me to be here and thanks to the Chief Coach (Samson Siasia) and the staff for giving me the oppourtunity to be part of the team," Awoniyi told Goal.

"I believe that I will score though I was not the only one that qualify the team, but the team generally did from the Chief Coach and staff to every member of the team.

"And again, i've always put my trust and hope in God in every game for God to give me the grace to score, that's my target right from the start of the game and give God the glory for that," the former Golden Eaglets star said.

"I believe with God on my side still have a long way to go. I'm just 17 and will be 18 this year. So still have a lot to learn in the game and to improve on but give praise to God for what he has been doing.

The 17-year-old who starred for the Flying Eagles in winning the Africa U-20 championship in Senegal, revealed that he is without an attacking role model though setting out to become one of the successful strikers in the World as he continues to learn the rope.

"I'm aiming to achieve as all strikers are like I said still have a lot to learn from them all they a role model. Respect all of them (strikers) and looking up to all of them but my best striker are many so can't even mention one. They are all delight to watch and learning a lot from them.

The Kalmar FF of Sweden player reveals he will be happy if picked for the All African Games in September but insists his main priority is making the Flying Eagles squad to the Fifa World Youth Championship in New Zealand.

"I'll be glad and pray to God to, but every thing is step by step. My aim now is to put in my best in the U-20 camp in making the World Cup squad becuase I believe that's the next at hand for me now," he concluded.

Nigeria have now qualified for the All African Games men football event after missing out on the competition in 2011.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:11am On Apr 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]I left camp with coach Siasia's permission, says Musa Muhammed[/size]

Nigeria U20 national team captain, Musa Muhammed, has said he left the camp of the U23 team with the permission of head coach Samson Siasia last Wednesday.

Goal had reported that the golden boot winner at the African Youth Championship absconded from camp in order to sign a contract in Europe with Siasia expressing disappointment at his action.

Shortly afterwards, Siasia announced his team of 18 players that travelled to Lusaka for Sunday's All Africa Games final qualifying match against Zambia U23.

The Nigeria Football Federation has already vowed to penalize the player for the conduct.

However, Muhammed said that he had no reason whatsoever to abscond after all he was the first player to resume camp. He told Goal that he had gone to retrieve his passport from the German Embassy which he did under permission.

"It is not true. I've been reading in papers that I ran away from camp but it is not true,” Muhammed told Goal.

“I'm surprised, though I was told to keep silent about it but my image is at stake.

“When I came to the camp, the team's secretary asked me for my passport.

"I told him my passport was not with me but at the [German] Embassy. After two days, he asked for it again and I notified him it was still not with me.

“Even the slip I needed to collect my passport was in my home state in Kano. I didn't come to camp with it.

"They told me I'm supposed to speak to the chief coach about it, that my passport was not with me. And he told me they needed the passport.

"The chief coach permitted me to go to Kano and from Kano to the Embassy in Lagos to collect my passport.

“They are all aware of my passport problem because they permitted me to go and collect the passport from the Embassy," he said.

If Mohammed's defence is anything to go by, the swift decision of the NFF to punish players without thorough investigation will attract a whirlwind of questions about their capacity to address issues surrounding players’ discipline.

The incident of mismanagement of player-related crisis is the second in four months after that of former Dolphins’ star Emem Edouk over his transfer saga in January.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by jobsat34(m): 11:18am On Apr 13, 2015
hi joseph, please i will love to see awoniyi's goal for the U.23 team.. any link to that?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:37pm On Apr 13, 2015
If Musa Muhammad has not resumed trials with any foreign club, then he is innocent of the charges. The news stated he said he was going to retrieve his passport and the coach new about that.

If he did not leave the country, then there is no problem and his story checks out.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:43pm On Apr 13, 2015
zoboizee:
they would have gone abroad. he needs very good home based players.

Most of the European Olympic football players play in top clubs in Europe. Yet, they still make out time to train and play with their Olympic teams.

Even if our Flying Eagles players sign for top clubs, they can still play for Siasia's Olympic team.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.