Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS (57614 Views)

75 Plots For Sale With C Of O In Ibadan For 350k Per Plot. (full Pictures) / Before & After: Renovation/Remodelling Jobs Full Of Surprises / Need To Drill Quality Boreholes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Enosa1(m): 7:19am On Oct 30, 2014
So this thread is still on#Re-subscribed.
greetings@all. more grease to Ur elbows@op.

Hw many amps charger will effectively charge a 200Ah battery.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 10:22am On Oct 30, 2014
Enosa1:

Yeah, i had to open one for property section.
Thanks

200Ah battery can be charge with 1amp charge controller if you can wait 160hours to charge it at the same time it can use 160amps charge controller and you get it fully charged in 1 hour and get your battery damaged in a very short time.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

It means any charge controller with ANY current rating can be used so far it can give the maximum voltage. The real question is

*How quick do you want it to charge?

*what is the maximum continuous charging current your battery can take

So if you can afford to wait for days then u can use a charge controller that delivers very little current

Ideally 200Ah 12v battery
Can be safely charged with any charge controller from 30A (take you about 6hours to fully charge) to even 0.5A (and take u over 3 weeks to charge).

You can use between 30amps and 60amps safely too but the battery will start to hydrogenate mildly and this will reduce it's life span over a long period of time

Anything above 60amps will make it hydrogenate more vigorously and this shorten it's lifespan VERY quickly.

So 30amps is the best, but you can use anything lesser IF you dont use the battery everyday and IF your solar panels aint giving up to 30amps in total (from parallel connection for PWM controllers and either parallel or series for MPPT controllers since the can always convert voltage to current even 100volt can be used to charge a 12v battery cos it will regulate it automatically)

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2014
Enosa1:

I am sure u understand the above explanation since you have a background in these subject.

Feel free to ask for more explanation if it is not clear enough.

Thanks brother
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 2:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
DRealGeesam:

Yeah, i had to open one for property section.
Thanks.

And it has been useful here. How gorgeous will any house look like without electricity/light?

Hajji M.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:47pm On Oct 30, 2014
mufutau55:

And it has been useful here. How gorgeous will any house look like without electricity/light?

Hajji M.
Abi o
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:20am On Oct 31, 2014
Good morning everyone

We'll be going back to solar panels as i do more exposition on them and show more pictorial illustrations
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:44am On Oct 31, 2014
I will be using this sweeeeeet monocrystalline solar module.
Top notch product.
If you can afford it always insist on monocrystalline solar panels.
Not to say polycrystalline is not good but they dont do well when they get hot and getting hot is part of the job since the panels will be under the hot sun all day.

So just go for monocrystalline.

You can see the distinctive cell shape. A good monocrystalline panel has this look. The chips are usually circular before they are cut in four places creating this unique shape. If the cells dont look like this and it aint dark purplish blue, it aint monocrystalline

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:49am On Oct 31, 2014
How to check the solar panel's electrical details will be next.

What does

Pmax,
Imp
IVp
Isc
Voc
Max system voltage
Mean?

Who does this determine the way your panels are interconnected?

By the way, Thanks peaceland and hajj M
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 12:14pm On Oct 31, 2014
Hajj. Mufutau55, thanks for helping me resolve the antispam bot issue on time.

Barka Jummo sir
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 12:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
DRealGeesam:
How to check the solar panel's electrical details will be next.

What does

Pmax,
Imp
IVp
Isc
Voc
Max system voltage
Mean?

Who does this determine the way your panels are interconnected?

By the way, Thanks peaceland and hajj M
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 12:24pm On Oct 31, 2014
To explain this

I have taken the picture of the specifications tag on a solar panel and will be using this to explain how this is relevant to you and how it determines the type of connections you can make with your solar panels, What to expect, whats voltage, what is current, what is power, how does this determine the loading, limits to string tied systems etc

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 12:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
DRealGeesam:
Hajj. Mufutau55, thanks for helping me resolve the antispam bot issue on time.
Barka Jummo sir

No problem sir.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Enosa1(m): 12:27pm On Oct 31, 2014
DRealGeesam:

I am sure u understand the above explanation since you have a background in these subject.

Feel free to ask for more explanation if it is not clear enough.

Thanks brother
Thanks a lot for that, its as clear as Crystal.

But the thing is that: I am not talking of using charge controller but normal AC-DC charger. actually, in one of my inverter installation contract,after installing a 2000w inverter for a client. months later the charging circuit of the inverter was demanded by his generator set-which I later discovered was supplying an output of 300v instead of 210-240v input capacity of d inverter.

Since the job was still under warranty, I built a separate DC charger with an output of about 28amps 13VDC output.

But he complains of slow charging...so what will you advice.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2014
Enosa1:
Thanks a lot for that, its as clear as Crystal.

But the thing is that: I am not talking of using charge controller but normal AC-DC charger. actually, in one of my inverter installation contract,after installing a 2000w inverter for a client. months later the charging circuit of the inverter was demanded by his generator set-which I later discovered was supplying an output of 300v instead of 210-240v input capacity of d inverter.

Since the job was still under warranty, I built a separate DC charger with an output of about 28amps 13VDC output.

But he complains of slow charging...so what will you advice.
Oh ok.
Lol

The amps is not the problem here, it is the voltage.

Good job building a charger for him. Here is the tricky And MOST IMPORTANT part. You must understand that a battery needs 4 stages of charge.

1. Bulk charge. For a 12v battery (of what ever capacity espc 200ah as in your case) bulk charge stage which is the first stage a good charger either solar charger or AC-DC charger must start with nothing less than 15 volts, then it switches to the next stage after a while usually when the battery is about 50% full

2. Then it moves to the next stage which is the absolve/continuous charge that is about 14V

3. Then it moves to the float charge which is about 13.2V-13.4V (which is the actual voltage of a 12v battery when full)

4. When the battery can sustain 13.2V by itself, that shows it is fully charged. Then the charger only delivers 13.2v-13.4V but this time only giving about 0.2-0.5amps. This is called equalize charging.

BUT this requires the use of Micro controllers which will be tricky for a locally built charger.

This is what you MUST do IF you want good charging.

1. USE A STABILIZER for homebuilt charges. Because the transformer works by ratios of voltage in and voltage out, your 13v wont be 13v even when the power supply drops by just 2volts. So use a stabilizer. This is the most important thing to do in this case. Connect the charger to a good stabilizer.

2. 13v is never a good charging voltage. It can never give a 12volt battery 100% charge. So set your maximum output to 14v at 220v input from you stabilizer.

3. Use a microprocessor along with transistors to check your charging. This will stop the charging when the battery reaches 13v. There are some ICs (especially IR series ICs) that have this ability. Else the battery could explode from over charging. There must always be a mechanism to prevent overcharging OR you must always give your battery attention if the charger has no over charge protection. This means you have to time the charging and switch the charge off or u keep using a volt meter to check it.

It will just advice u to tell him to switch it off after 4 hour maximum of charging using a stabilizer with the charger (which is you have readjusted to 14v). This is the best thing to do if the charger has no overcharge protection

Hope this helps.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by otunbakolawole(m): 6:03pm On Oct 31, 2014
Hello Op,

Good work it is that you doing here. Kudos!

I stay in a 3bedroom bungalow, I make use of all the usual home appliances any middleclass Nigerian makes use of. I have a 2.4 KVA inverter with batteries setup, been using it for about 3yrs thereabout. About 3month ago, Its not be delivering as it use too. I guess I need to change batteries.

with what I have read here, am considering making a switch to Solar system... WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ASSOCIATED COST WILL LOOK LIKE?

tha,ks
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 6:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
Interpreting the specifications of your solar panels to you electrical power need

3 informations are very key

1. Current Maximum Power (Imp)
2. Voltage maximum power (Vmp)
3. Maximum System voltage

The solar panel's Maximum power (Wp) is usually=current X voltage

And the Maximum system Voltage refers to the maximum number of panels you can connect together in series before ur system fries up.

In this case. You can see that the maximum system voltage is 1000V and the Vmp is 17.5V, the means you can only connect 57 of this panels together in series.

It is not recommended to use the maximum voltage or current of ANY electrical system for prolonged periods, so it is best we take our maximum as 600v
Which means we can only string 34 of this panels together in series.

This will give use 600v at 4.5 amps

So total Kva we have now is
600X 4.5 = 2.7kva
2700watts approximately.

So if u need more power what do you do since you cant add more panels in series without exceedIng our safe voltage?
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 6:20pm On Oct 31, 2014
otunbakolawole:
Hello Op,

Good work it is that you doing here. Kudos!

I stay in a 3bedroom bungalow, I make use of all the usual home appliances any middleclass Nigerian makes use of. I have a 2.4 KVA inverter with batteries setup, been using it for about 3yrs thereabout. About 3month ago, Its not be delivering as it use too. I guess I need to change batteries.

with what I have read here, am considering making a switch to Solar system... WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ASSOCIATED COST WILL LOOK LIKE?

tha,ks
Good evening sir,

Most likely your batteries are due for change.

Switching to solar will save u the cost of using generator to charge your batteries and the disappointment of not having electricity from Phcn to charge them fully. You could also add extra panels beyond what will charge your batteries so that you can use that extra power during the day time for TV, charging or even running a refrigerator.

The cost depends on the size of the battery (Ah) and how many batteries.

1. So sir what is the capacity of each battery and how many batteries are in your system.

2. And do you want extra power beyond just getting your batteries charged all the time.

This will help me give u specifics.

Thank you sir
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 6:36am On Nov 01, 2014
Happy new month to you all.
Praying for God's continual blessings upon our businesses and families.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:40am On Nov 01, 2014
My humble self
cheesy
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:42am On Nov 01, 2014
DRealGeesam:
My humble self
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by otunbakolawole(m): 8:06am On Nov 01, 2014
Thanks for your response.

I currently have four units 200AH Ritar brands. And yes I would like the extra panels to run somethings

br
DRealGeesam:

Good evening sir,

Most likely your batteries are due for change.

Switching to solar will save u the cost of using generator to charge your batteries and the disappointment of not having electricity from Phcn to charge them fully. You could also add extra panels beyond what will charge your batteries so that you can use that extra power during the day time for TV, charging or even running a refrigerator.

The cost depends on the size of the battery (Ah) and how many batteries.

1. So sir what is the capacity of each battery and how many batteries are in your system.

2. And do you want extra power beyond just getting your batteries charged all the time.

This will help me give u specifics.

Thank you sir
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
otunbakolawole:
Thanks for your response.

I currently have four units 200AH Ritar brands. And yes I would like the extra panels to run somethings

br

That is a very good setup you have there.

Here are options you have sir.

Option 1: just to guarantee your batteries are charged everyday using solar power

For 4 200ah batteries you need 0.64kva of solar array to get them charged everyday (ONLY using an MPPT controller will need more power if using PWM).
This could mean 8X 80watts panels, 7 X 100 watts panels or what ever configuration that will total .64Kva

This will cost
N160,000 + 90,000 (for the controller)

OPTION 2: Charging and day time use
This means 0.64Kva for charging + wattage for whatever appliance you want to be powered through the day. Eg if you want your 54inch flat screen tv to be powered during the day without it using the batteries then you need an additional .2kva of solar panels, that is 2 extra 100watts panels.

For a load of 600watts day time use (using the sun directly) which is 1 tv, phone chargings, laptop use, about 4 lighting, a ceiling fan

You have to add at least 30% for electrical loses

This gives

.64kva + .78kva= 1.42kva

=14 X 100 watts panels or 7X 230watts panels or 9X 170watts panels.

This array will cost
Aprx N357,500+ 90,000 for controller
N447,500

This will guarantee electricity ALL day to power the appliances i listed above and a little bit more even.

The batteries may not last more than 3 years, but i assure you that for the next 25-30years your solar panels will still be giving you electricity Guaranteed (even after that they will still be working but at only about 70% of their capacity)

Good solar arrays (key word here is "Good" ) could seem expensive, but they worth it in the long run.

I hope this helps.
I am here at your service in case there is more you want clarified sir.

All the best sir
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 1:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
Updates on tutorials for string connections (high voltage) coming up soon
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 5:57pm On Nov 01, 2014
To add more current to the system, the solar array will need and equal number of panels connected in parallel.

Eg. String of 6 panels rated Imp=4.5a and Vmp= 17.5v
Will have a maximum volt output of 105v and a current output of 4.5amp

This gives you a total power of 472.5Watts.

But imagine u need to power something that requires 600 watts at least but need 105v maximum.
Then it means you need to connect another set of 6 panels in series then connect the two sets in parallel to eacH other.

When in parallel current adds up and voltage remains the same, when in series voltage adds up while current remains the same.

So now u have 2 105volts in parallel so it remains 105v max
And 2 4.5amps in parallel so you have 9amps now.

So power available now= 947 watts.
Your 600watts device can safely work with this without damage cos the recommended voltage is not exceeded. And cos electrical appliences only draw the amount of current they need at any given voltage, so meaning current available from a power supple can be as high as possible, it only remains potential. So it is possible to even have a current of 100amps available so far our maximum voltage is kept, your system wont fry up.
More on this shortly, as there must be a balance btween load and Wp for solar panels so as to make the conversion rate better and reduce electrical waste through heating.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2014
Lord have mercy on Nigeria.

Oh that there be peace in every troubled region.

So sad
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by X2X(m): 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2014
DRealGeesam:

IF you are talking about producing electricity for commercial purpose eg electricity for a whole state or country, then nuclear, hydro, wave, wind are all cheaper than solar and are more practical. BUT if you are talking about an individual producing electricity for himself, Hydro and nuclear are not economical or practical. You keep talking of battery. Is cost of fuel in 3 years more economical than battery with lifespan of 3 years? Let us be pratical, as far as producing electricity at the home level is concerned ONLY wind energy is cheaper and more practical than solar energy. I am not even through talking about solar panels, inverters and charge controllers, so wait till i get to batteries. I have not used a generator for the past 2 years of my life.
Do you know that as good as electricity is in the US yet solar power is thriving. These are people who can see in the long term. You are only looking at the initial cost. Do you know that even a barber with tiger generator will have to spend at least 1000 naira a day to have electricity for 12 hours, in 3years he would have N864,000. How? He would have worked 6 days in a week that is 6000 naira in a year that is N288,000 and in 3 years that is N864,000.
Half of that money will give his barbing saloon 18hrs of electricity everyday for 25 years, the only thing he will change every 3 years is his batteries which is will be a recurrent N150,000. Meaning instead of spending 288000 a year on just fueling generators, now he is only spending 50,000.

Guess what sir, IF he strictly follows best battery management practices which i will be revealing, he can use his batteries for at least 5 years (please consult google if u dont believe me on anything and take info from reliable sites such as backwoodssolar.com and the likes). Original AgM gel deep cycle batteries last as long as 10 years even with everyday use.
I will tell u y many dont enjoy their batteries when i get to that topic.

So my point remains, Solar is extremely cheap compared to generator. And as i have even said earlier MANY are spending good money in developed countries to add solar to their home supply even though they have 24 hrs of electricity, cos it is helping them cut the cost of electricity.

On this thread i tell people as it is no lies no pretending. Many have called me and when i tell them what is involved they say someone said it is cheaper somewhere i smile and advice them and let them be. Truth is solar is cheap when you can look at your economic benefits over the years and not just the initial cost as i said, spending 150,000 on batteries in 3 years and spending 864,000 on petrol in 3 years which is cheaper?

Agree. Add to this, the constant deafening noise and emissions (CO2 pollution) from generators. Did you also remember that sometimes people buy genertors and within 2-3 years the generator has packed up and they have to buy another one? If you can find a reliable solar system installation people (hard in Nigeria, unfortuntely) then Solar most definitely makes more sense over the long term, as you say for home power.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 3:06pm On Nov 02, 2014
X2X:

Agree. Add to this, the constant deafening noise and emissions (CO2 pollution) from generators. Did you also remember that sometimes people buy genertors and within 2-3 years the generator has packed up and they have to buy another one? If you can find a reliable solar system installation people (hard in Nigeria, unfortuntely) then Solar most definitely makes more sense over the long term, as you say for home power.
Thank you very much sir. Well put.
The problem is not that there aint people/companies that can do solar properly the real problem is not telling the truth!
How?
1. A lot of credible engineers discovered that they were not making headway with being plain with clients. E.g telling the client it will cost 1million to install a solar power system. Even though it will last 25-30years, the client wont appreciate the value cos he sees it as expensive, so what did some desperate companies do? They will come out and deceive people saying u can power you whole home for 100,000 naira only! Blah blah blah. Then they do a shabby job and run away. That is number one reason why solar power is not doing well.
Just yesterday i saw he lady here on nairaland trying to sell an inverter and 100ah battery for 55k and she claims you will use it for 8hrs a day! This is a BIG lie! 8hrs? How powering all she listed. So untrue.
This is what is killing alternative energy in Nigeria, exaggerations and cheap prices.

2. Companies that plainly dont know what they are doing. No background in electrical electronics. And then there are those who even have a background in electrical engineering, but they dont know what they are doing. Just plain and simple.

By God's grace very soon, i will be relating jobs for nairalanders here so everyone sees how practical it is.

I dont try to corner people into paying cheap. What you sow is what you reap, i have adviced many not to bother saying they want to use solar because they expect the price to be at par with that of a generator and soon someone will deceive then and say "bring the money, i will do it for you"
Go to olx you will see a lot of boys claiming they can do a solar power system for a whole 3bedroom bungalow for just 25k! That cant even buy a quality inverter talkless of an array of panels to power a whole house.

Part of the reason why i opened this thread.
Here, there is no secret, we tell you as it is in the open. I dont ask people to call me, all that "pls call us" are all strategies to hoodwink people.

Ask ANY question HERE and get answers HERE. The whole world will see it. Solar power is very reliable, apart from the initial cost, it is over 15 times cheaper than generators in the course of the years it will serve. If only our government has a sort of subsidy scheme just like in the US and UK, it would have been more affordable.

If you can afford it, there is no regretting it

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by salam12(m): 5:10pm On Nov 02, 2014
DRealGeesam:

Thank you very much sir. Well put.
The problem is not that there aint people/companies that can do solar properly the real problem is not telling the truth!
How?
1. A lot of credible engineers discovered that they were not making headway with being plain with clients. E.g telling the client it will cost 1million to install a solar power system. Even though it will last 25-30years, the client wont appreciate the value cos he sees it as expensive, so what did some desperate companies do? They will come out and deceive people saying u can power you whole home for 100,000 naira only! Blah blah blah. Then they do a shabby job and run away. That is number one reason why solar power is not doing well.
Just yesterday i saw he lady here on nairaland trying to sell an inverter and 100ah battery for 55k and she claims you will use it for 8hrs a day! This is a BIG lie! 8hrs? How powering all she listed. So untrue.
This is what is killing alternative energy in Nigeria, exaggerations and cheap prices.

2. Companies that plainly dont know what they are doing. No background in electrical electronics. And then there are those who even have a background in electrical engineering, but they dont know what they are doing. Just plain and simple.

By God's grace very soon, i will be relating jobs for nairalanders here so everyone sees how practical it is.

I dont try to corner people into paying cheap. What you sow is what you reap, i have adviced many not to bother saying they want to use solar because they expect the price to be at par with that of a generator and soon someone will deceive then and say "bring the money, i will do it for you"
Go to olx you will see a lot of boys claiming they can do a solar power system for a whole 3bedroom bungalow for just 25k! That cant even buy a quality inverter talkless of an array of panels to power a whole house.

Part of the reason why i opened this thread.
Here, there is no secret, we tell you as it is in the open. I dont ask people to call me, all that "pls call us" are all strategies to hoodwink people.

Ask ANY question HERE and get answers HERE. The whole world will see it. Solar power is very reliable, apart from the initial cost, it is over 15 times cheaper than generators in the course of the years it will serve. If only our government has a sort of subsidy scheme just like in the US and UK, it would have been more affordable.

If you can afford it, there is no regretting it

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.

Choice we make most time is a function of our knowledge limitation.
Been using renewable energy for almost a year and I can attest to the effectiveness, rest of mind, no noise, 24/7 power availability and above all happiness in faces of family member.

With panel price keeping crashing with awareness growing by the day, this is the way to go. Getting discouraged by initial cost when actually person concern can afford it is like being penny wise and pound foolish.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
salam12:

Choice we make most time is a function of our knowledge limitation.
Been using renewable energy for almost a year and I can attest to the effectiveness, rest of mind, no noise, 24/7 power availability and above all happiness in faces of family member.

With panel price keeping crashing with awareness growing by the day, this is the way to go. Getting discouraged by initial cost when actually person concern can afford it is like being penny wise and pound foolish.
Couldnt have said it better,
Thanks for sharing your experience sir.
The convenience is just bliss, all u need to do is flip a switch.
No noise,
no worry on daily cost of getting fuel,
no stress of going out to put on the gen,
no need to rely on phcn, they can go to extinction for all you care,
No servicing (inverter cld get damaged from overloading but repair is cheap and it hardly happens anyway)

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 10:13pm On Nov 02, 2014
Many have questions, pls ask.
Solar power is for everyone. Yes, even farmers in rural areas are using solar power.
Lol

The much misunderstood alternative source of energy. Free from the nature.

How i wish we could look into Wave energy in generating electricity in nigeria instead of gas.

We need to open our minds to the advances in technology. Nigeria is still in the 1960s, hydro and gas turbines. Locomotive trains. sad
Our shore have very strong steady winds. How about creating wind farms there?

Hope i will be able to set something up in this area in the near future, that is serious MONEY smiley still far from that for now, Veeeerrry far from that. Lol

But we will get there

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by nastydamus(m): 5:42am On Nov 03, 2014
Nice thread you have here bro.
Please give us a list of recommended solar panels and the price of say a 250w version of each.
Not everyone can afford Renogy or Solarworld modules.
Hope it isn't a big ask.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2014
nastydamus:
Nice thread you have here bro.
Please give us a list of recommended solar panels and the price of say a 250w version of each.
Not everyone can afford Renogy or Solarworld modules.
Hope it isn't a big ask.
It is not a BIG ask at all. You've come to the right place sir.

Forget all those names, In solar power name of the brand is NOT IMPORTANT, IT IS NAME OF THE CHIP PRODUCER THAT IS IMPORTANT.

For Batteries and inverters always go with reputable brands, but not for solar power. This sounds odd? cheesy lol

I will not give you fish, but teach you how to fish.

Even if a solar panel is nameless and was built inside someone's garage at home, this are things that are important.

1. The chips must be from good manufacturers such as seimens, yingli etc there is no way you will use bad chips and get the required results with the right panel dimension, so that leads us to our next point.

2. Under good sunlight, Test the Short circuit voltage Vsc and Short Circuit current Isc with a multimeter, then multiply the two values together. This MUST give you at least 70% of the wattage specified on the solar panel's name plate.

The dimension to is important, bad panels are way bigger than they should be. An average 250w panel is about 1.4m square (multiply the length and breath)

4. Sturdy build. Strong aluminum frame, plexi glass cover, fastening notches. Well sealed around the edges at the back. At least 5mm cables

Why am i saying all this, it is so you dump the illusion of a few brand names are the best. Just research what ever pv brand you want to buy, and test the product if you can.

For chinese products, cost is between $0.77 and $1.2 dollars per watt

For european brands it is about $1.4

For american brands about $1.7

Multiply this by the amount of watts eg 250watts and add %10 of the cost that will give you a market price to work with without limiting your self to a brand.

Truth be told all certified pv manufacturing companies have about the same output for the specific type of pv make you are buying. It is only for batteries and inverters that there is wide quality variations (in terms of lifespan).

From the above i believe you can easily calculate the cost and decide if you will be going for a chinese product, an european product or and american brand. Just make sure you research the brand online. I dont want to start listing brands, cos i have only used 4 out of Hundreds of VERY superb brands the world has to offer, so dont limit yourself sir.

All the best.
Hope this helps (let me know)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

This House Takes 6 Hours To Build And Costs Just $33K / Somebody's Living Room Flooded In Lekki After The Rain (Photo) / Inside Late Mai Deribe's Gold Marble House In Maiduguri, Borno state Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.