Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS (57567 Views)

75 Plots For Sale With C Of O In Ibadan For 350k Per Plot. (full Pictures) / Before & After: Renovation/Remodelling Jobs Full Of Surprises / Need To Drill Quality Boreholes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by irokop(m): 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2014
DRealGeesam:

You can use ANY bulb (lighting) with solar inverters sir. BUT energy saving bulbs will make u use them longer. The normal incandescent bulb consumes about 4-8 times the energy that an energy saving bulb will consume, so it is best to use energy saving bulbs when using inverters or any other source of alternative energy, even generators.

Many thanks
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2014
Beulah09:

There is a reason why Solar is not the primary source of energy all over the world. Economics is the primary reason.

That said, in the Nigerian environment, Solar is a good option. People just need to understand that there is associated running cost after the installation. Battery cost is not 'cheap'. Most dont include it in to their calculation.
IF you are talking about producing electricity for commercial purpose eg electricity for a whole state or country, then nuclear, hydro, wave, wind are all cheaper than solar and are more practical. BUT if you are talking about an individual producing electricity for himself, Hydro and nuclear are not economical or practical. You keep talking of battery. Is cost of fuel in 3 years more economical than battery with lifespan of 3 years? Let us be pratical, as far as producing electricity at the home level is concerned ONLY wind energy is cheaper and more practical than solar energy. I am not even through talking about solar panels, inverters and charge controllers, so wait till i get to batteries. I have not used a generator for the past 2 years of my life.
Do you know that as good as electricity is in the US yet solar power is thriving. These are people who can see in the long term. You are only looking at the initial cost. Do you know that even a barber with tiger generator will have to spend at least 1000 naira a day to have electricity for 12 hours, in 3years he would have N864,000. How? He would have worked 6 days in a week that is 6000 naira in a year that is N288,000 and in 3 years that is N864,000.
Half of that money will give his barbing saloon 18hrs of electricity everyday for 25 years, the only thing he will change every 3 years is his batteries which is will be a recurrent N150,000. Meaning instead of spending 288000 a year on just fueling generators, now he is only spending 50,000.

Guess what sir, IF he strictly follows best battery management practices which i will be revealing, he can use his batteries for at least 5 years (please consult google if u dont believe me on anything and take info from reliable sites such as backwoodssolar.com and the likes). Original AgM gel deep cycle batteries last as long as 10 years even with everyday use.
I will tell u y many dont enjoy their batteries when i get to that topic.

So my point remains, Solar is extremely cheap compared to generator. And as i have even said earlier MANY are spending good money in developed countries to add solar to their home supply even though they have 24 hrs of electricity, cos it is helping them cut the cost of electricity.

On this thread i tell people as it is no lies no pretending. Many have called me and when i tell them what is involved they say someone said it is cheaper somewhere i smile and advice them and let them be. Truth is solar is cheap when you can look at your economic benefits over the years and not just the initial cost as i said, spending 150,000 on batteries in 3 years and spending 864,000 on petrol in 3 years which is cheaper?

3 Likes

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2014
irokop:

Many thanks
You are very welcome sir.
Please start using ONLY energy saving bulbs, they will also reduce ur phcn bill and stress on your generating set not only when you use inverter.
AKT is one of the best brands in Nigeria.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see more of you on this thread sir. cool
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by irokop(m): 9:02pm On Oct 25, 2014
DRealGeesam:

You are very welcome sir.
Please start using ONLY energy saving bulbs, they will also reduce ur phcn bill and stress on your generating set not only when you use inverter.
AKT is one of the best brands in Nigeria.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see more of you on this thread sir. cool

I haven't done my solar system yet, hopefully I will consider you, however my borehole is already done but will like to give the solar system a shot when I visit naija.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DUNKA(m): 7:20am On Oct 26, 2014
Good job very informative post. Apart from Trojan batts please recommend any other good cheaper alternatives. Thanks
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by NL1960: 11:41am On Oct 26, 2014
DRealGeesam:

IF you are talking about producing electricity for commercial purpose eg electricity for a whole state or country, then nuclear, hydro, wave, wind are all cheaper than solar and are more practical. BUT if you are talking about an individual producing electricity for himself, Hydro and nuclear are not economical or practical. You keep talking of battery. Is cost of fuel in 3 years more economical than battery with lifespan of 3 years? Let us be pratical, as far as producing electricity at the home level is concerned ONLY wind energy is cheaper and more practical than solar energy. I am not even through talking about solar panels, inverters and charge controllers, so wait till i get to batteries. I have not used a generator for the past 2 years of my life.
Do you know that as good as electricity is in the US yet solar power is thriving. These are people who can see in the long term. You are only looking at the initial cost. Do you know that even a barber with tiger generator will have to spend at least 1000 naira a day to have electricity for 12 hours, in 3years he would have N864,000. How? He would have worked 6 days in a week that is 6000 naira in a year that is N288,000 and in 3 years that is N864,000.
Half of that money will give his barbing saloon 18hrs of electricity everyday for 25 years, the only thing he will change every 3 years is his batteries which is will be a recurrent N150,000. Meaning instead of spending 288000 a year on just fueling generators, now he is only spending 50,000.

Guess what sir, IF he strictly follows best battery management practices which i will be revealing, he can use his batteries for at least 5 years (please consult google if u dont believe me on anything and take info from reliable sites such as backwoodssolar.com and the likes). Original AgM gel deep cycle batteries last as long as 10 years even with everyday use.

So my point remains, Solar is extremely cheap compared to generator. And as i have even said earlier MANY are spending good money in developed countries to add solar to their home supply even though they have 24 hrs of electricity, cos it is helping them cut the cost of electricity.

On this thread i tell people as it is no lies no pretending. Many have called me and when i tell them what is involved they say someone said it is cheaper somewhere i smile and advice them and let them be. Truth is solar is cheap when you can look at your economic benefits over the years and not just the initial cost as i said, spending 150,000 on batteries in 3 years and spending 864,000 on petrol in 3 years which is cheaper?

Good and insightful lectures so far. The problem people see with solar is coughing out this initial cost. For the barber you used in your example, he/she considers the N1000 he/she uses to buy as daily running cost of the business. It is easier for him/her to buy his/her and leave on the balance than save N150,000 to buy solar batteries. This is where the crux of the matter is. In the developed countries, people can easily get a consumer loan to do this solar energy and repay over several tears. This is where the affordability comes in.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Beulah09: 1:59pm On Oct 26, 2014
DRealGeesam:

We are saying the same thing ooo.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Beulah09: 2:03pm On Oct 26, 2014
NL1960:

Good and insightful lectures so far. The problem people see with solar is coughing out this initial cost. For the barber you used in your example, he/she considers the N1000 he/she uses to buy as daily running cost of the business. It is easier for him/her to buy his/her and leave on the balance than save N150,000 to buy solar batteries. This is where the crux of the matter is. In the developed countries, people can easily get a consumer loan to do this solar energy and repay over several tears. This is where the affordability comes in.

The ONLY reason why we consider Solar in Nigeria is the poor situation of electricity supply. So in Nigeria, solar/inverter is a PRACTICAL alternative to the epileptic power supply.

Solar currently is not cheap. As we see improvement in technology, the cost will continue to drop.

Most people say that after the initial installation, there is no cost again!
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by maingain(m): 6:44pm On Oct 26, 2014
Is it true that due to our dusty environment this could prevent the panels from functioning after sometime? And if this is not true why are many solar street light are not functioning again.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
maingain:
Is it true that due to our dusty environment this could prevent the panels from functioning after sometime? And if this is not true why are many solar street light are not functioning again.
Streetlights not just solar powered ones hardly last in nigeria because of conny contractors.

I was called to look at some streetlights at the Federal university of technology, Akure (FUTA) guess what the batteries used where 100Ah batteries but the contractor put them in cartons with 200Ah written on them.

There is this solar power engineer i met here on nairaland, maybe he thinks i dont know my onions, he sent me a picture of a street lighting they did in abuja, they used 40watts panels and he told me it was 260watt panel. I laffed and told him i know the ratings of solar panels just from looking at them. That was when he opened up to me and told me that it was his oga that asked him to use it.
They even used a wire that was 1/4 the standard size.
How will such projects last.
There is money in street lights. A 1 kilometer road can have 50- 60 street lights now imagine cutting corners and saving extra N50,000 on each, that is a whooping 2.5million at least. That is why street lights dont last in nigeria.
Many so called solar power experts dont even know that the solar panels shld pace south towards the equator where sun is maximum all through the day not east where the sun rises or west where the sun sets.

Just looking at a street light pole i can tell u a lot.

Just looking at the box where the battery is stored you can tell the size of the battery in it. Some can even have big boxes and contain small batteries.

It is a pity

Almost 100% of those solar panels you see are perfectly working and before u know what is happening on thief will steal them and only pole will be left.

So dust is just a red herring that shifts blame away from the real problem.
So sir it is greed that is killing this country.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:21pm On Oct 26, 2014
Beulah09:

The ONLY reason why we consider Solar in Nigeria is the poor situation of electricity supply. So in Nigeria, solar/inverter is a PRACTICAL alternative to the epileptic power supply.

Solar currently is not cheap. As we see improvement in technology, the cost will continue to drop.

You are on point sir. Welcome to this thread.
I hope to see more of your contributions. Let us lay it bare as it is.
Insincerity has really killed solar power in Nigeria.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:26pm On Oct 26, 2014
NL1960:

Very true sir.
MANY people come to me and say they want solar power and i tell them to just go and buy generator because they can afford buying fuel everyday, than paying in for solar even though solar power will save them millions in it's years of service. But how many people can afford it evn though it is now even cheap and getting cheaper?

It is well.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
Beulah09:

When i think about it the paradox is just unfortunate. In the end a poor man would have spent tonnes of money within 10years without even knowing it. My barber spend at least 1k a day to buy fuel yet he has no car, has no big possession to his name. Things are good in developed contries to the extent that if you want to use solar power. The government gives you tax rebates, the power company pays 40% of the installation cost, when u are not using the electricity your meter runs backward and the company will pay you for every kilowatt you added to the grid at the end of the month. Imagine all these benefits.

If things where good in Nigeria, solar power does not need batteries. That is why i said Grid-tied system cant work here.
In grid tied system. You use solar all thru when there is sun. Your system produces twice what you need, the excess goes into the grid, and the company supplies you electricity at night when there is no sun free of charge.
So u end up getting tax exemption, you get 40% paid for all the solar cost and yet it can even earn u extra cash!

But not here in Nigeria.

People using generators are cheating themselves anyway especially if they can afford the solar power system.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:44pm On Oct 26, 2014
DUNKA:
Good job very informative post. Apart from Trojan batts please recommend any other good cheaper alternatives. Thanks
There are LOTS of good brands, soooooo many of them eg. Mercury, Zenith, Morningstar, luminous, synergy, all deep cycle batteries etc.
THE REAL PROBLEM is those selling the fake batteries using the names of the originals. You can go to the market and buy Mercury only to discover it does not last cos it is a fake mercury battery.

Hope this helps sir.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:47pm On Oct 26, 2014
irokop:

I haven't done my solar system yet, hopefully I will consider you, however my borehole is already done but will like to give the solar system a shot when I visit naija.

Thank you sir. Your presence here has been an honour.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Beulah09: 7:56pm On Oct 26, 2014
DRealGeesam:

When i think about it the paradox is just unfortunate. In the end a poor man would have spent tonnes of money within 10years without even knowing it. My barber spend at least 1k a day to buy fuel yet he has no car, has no big possession to his name. Things are good in developed contries to the extent that if you want to use solar power. The government gives you tax rebates, the power company pays 40% of the installation cost, when u are not using the electricity your meter runs backward and the company will pay you for every kilowatt you added to the grid at the end of the month. Imagine all these benefits.

If things where good in Nigeria, solar power does not need batteries. That is why i said Grid-tied system cant work here.
In grid tied system. You use solar all thru when there is sun. Your system produces twice what you need, the excess goes into the grid, and the company supplies you electricity at night when there is no sun free of charge.
So u end up getting tax exemption, you get 40% paid for all the solar cost and yet it can even earn u extra cash!

But not here in Nigeria.

People using generators are cheating themselves anyway especially if they can afford the solar power system.

You nailed it on the head. The structure in Nigeria does not make solar to be competitive.

Before going solar, one need to learn about energy efficiency.

Any idea price for solar street lights?
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:18am On Oct 27, 2014
Beulah09:

You nailed it on the head. The structure in Nigeria does not make solar to be competitive.

Before going solar, one need to learn about energy efficiency.

Any idea price for solar street lights?
The wattage of the light determines the price primarily. And do you mean the full cost of the pole, lights solar panels controller and installation or just the lamps.
I dont sell these things, but i can always give you the market price so you know what to expect when you go out to purchase. Specify and i will give u the market price sir.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Beulah09: 12:42pm On Oct 27, 2014
DRealGeesam:
The wattage of the light determines the price primarily. And do you mean the full cost of the pole, lights solar panels controller and installation or just the lamps.
I dont sell these things, but i can always give you the market price so you know what to expect when you go out to purchase. Specify and i will give u the market price sir.

Yes the full cost of the polie, lights solar pannels controller and installation.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 4:18pm On Oct 27, 2014
Beulah09:

Yes the full cost of the polie, lights solar pannels controller and installation.

I will do this (as shown in picture) for 185,000.

If you are doing up to 10 then price reduced to 160,000

If over 20 then 150,000

Reason if cost of labour and transportation reduces when the job is more.

This will include
*2 80watts panels

*1 20amps solar charge controller and authomatic lamp controller. Will switch on when sun goes down and off when the sun rises.

*1 100ah deep circle battery

*1 led 45watts (brightness is equal that of 200watts halogen cos it is led)

Thank you sir

2 Likes

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by maingain(m): 5:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
DRealGeesam:

Streetlights not just solar powered ones hardly last in nigeria because of conny contractors.

I was called to look at some streetlights at the Federal university of technology, Akure (FUTA) guess what the batteries used where 100Ah batteries but the contractor put them in cartons with 200Ah written on them.

There is this solar power engineer i met here on nairaland, maybe he thinks i dont know my onions, he sent me a picture of a street lighting they did in abuja, they used 40watts panels and he told me it was 260watt panel. I laffed and told him i know the ratings of solar panels just from looking at them. That was when he opened up to me and told me that it was his oga that asked him to use it.
They even used a wire that was 1/4 the standard size.
How will such projects last.
There is money in street lights. A 1 kilometer road can have 50- 60 street lights now imagine cutting corners and saving extra N50,000 on each, that is a whooping 2.5million at least. That is why street lights dont last in nigeria.
Many so called solar power experts dont even know that the solar panels shld pace south towards the equator where sun is maximum all through the day not east where the sun rises or west where the sun sets.

Just looking at a street light pole i can tell u a lot.

Just looking at the box where the battery is stored you can tell the size of the battery in it. Some can even have big boxes and contain small batteries.

It is a pity

Almost 100% of those solar panels you see are perfectly working and before u know what is happening on thief will steal them and only pole will be left.

So dust is just a red herring that shifts blame away from the real problem.
So sir it is greed that is killing this country.

Thank you for your information. I will get intouch with you soonest.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by NL1960: 6:25pm On Oct 27, 2014
DRealGeesam:

I will do this (as shown in picture) for 185,000.

If you are doing up to 10 then price reduced to 160,000

If over 20 then 150,000

Reason if cost of labour and transportation reduces when the job is more.

This will include
*2 80watts panels

*1 20amps solar charge controller and authomatic lamp controller. Will switch on when sun goes down and off when the sun rises.

*1 100ah deep circle battery

*1 led 45watts (brightness is equal that of 200watts halogen cos it is led)

Thank you sir

Please can you put the picture you are referring to. There has been so many pictures that it is difficult to know the one you are referring to.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:05pm On Oct 27, 2014
NL1960:

Please can you put the picture you are referring to. There has been so many pictures that it is difficult to know the one you are referring to.
Added
It is an NDDC project
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
maingain:

Thank you for your information. I will get intouch with you soonest.

Ok sir.
I appreciate your confidence in my work.
At your service whenever you call upon me sir.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:22am On Oct 28, 2014
Cldnt continue my exposition yesterday. Will try to do that today

Stay blessed
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 11:56am On Oct 28, 2014
Back where u belong
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2014
Updates coming tis evening
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 12:52pm On Oct 29, 2014
Pwm (pulse width modulation) charge controllers are cheaper than MPPT charge controllers.
They are less effiecient than MPPT controllers.

This this not mean they are bad at doing their jobs. Only limitation is they stabilize to the batteries voltage and this could make charging slow.

PWM controllers work in 4 stages
Bulk charging
Absorb charging
Float charging
Equalize charging

PWM charge controllers are very good at this.

Note: most batteries dont last because there is no equalize charge. If you have used an inverter before and kept changing batteries every year, then most likely the cause is the absence of equalize charging. A battery becomes less and less potent as it sulphurates this happens when the battery is used or unused either way a battery will become useless in about 3 months when it does not receive a maintenance charge that equalizes it's self discharge

This is one of the advantages of solar power, the battery will always get charged everyday and this reverses the sulphuration process.

So those on inverters now know one of the reasons (In fact THE MAJOR) reason why they dont enjoy their batteries for it's full lifespan.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 1:58pm On Oct 29, 2014
That is one reason why you need smart chargers and these chargers must have a constant source of electricity to be able to maintain your batteries
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2014
So the choice btw mppt and pwm depends on your pocket and space management.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
PWM controllers are also suitable for street lights. Such as the one below.

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:36pm On Oct 29, 2014
This is also suitable for small scale solar power system. Eg if all you want is to power your laptop and charge fones and perhaps have one energy saving bulb powered.
You cant afford spending 55k-190k on mppt controllers. When 7k will buy you a very reliable pwm controller
Note: this is only for small scale systems. Not when you intend to charge a large battery bank effectively.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 7:06am On Oct 30, 2014
Beautiful day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

This House Takes 6 Hours To Build And Costs Just $33K / Somebody's Living Room Flooded In Lekki After The Rain (Photo) / Abuja’s Most Expensive Estates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.