Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS (57465 Views)

75 Plots For Sale With C Of O In Ibadan For 350k Per Plot. (full Pictures) / Before & After: Renovation/Remodelling Jobs Full Of Surprises / Need To Drill Quality Boreholes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 10:09am On Nov 03, 2014
So cost starts from N37,000 to N62,000.
In Nigeria what you see is not always what you get, hence reason why i took time to show how to identify a good solar panel and make informed purchase. If you are too particular about a brand name you will end up paying the cost of a high end product in buying a low end product that has been repackaged for those who love going to the market with a list of "brand names"
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 1:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
I would so appreciate it when you get your questions answered, if you could acknowledge, if it was helpful or not. It's discouraging when people ask questions and dont acknowledge they got the answer.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 3:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
Primary health care center, Iju

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 5:42pm On Nov 03, 2014

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 9:16pm On Nov 03, 2014
Experience remains the best teacher.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by nastydamus(m): 10:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
DRealGeesam:
So cost starts from N37,000 to N62,000.
In Nigeria what you see is not always what you get, hence reason why i took time to show how to identify a good solar panel and make informed purchase. If you are too particular about a brand name you will end up paying the cost of a high end product in buying a low end product that has been repackaged for those who love going to the market with a list of "brand names"

Many, many thanks bro. Just what I needed coz I've been eyeing Joy Solar panels from another thread.
Hopefully, I'll get close to nameplate values, and for close to 25 years.
The goal is no longer looking as unreachable as I'd earlier thought.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:58am On Nov 04, 2014
Joysolar is a good product. Go for it.

All the best sir
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 12:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
nastydamus:

Many, many thanks bro. Just what I needed coz I've been eyeing Joy Solar panels from another thread.
Hopefully, I'll get close to nameplate values, and for close to 25 years.
The goal is no longer looking as unreachable as I'd earlier thought.
Hope you share ur experience with us.
All the best sir.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 8:53pm On Nov 04, 2014
Things a bit slow.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 8:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
DRealGeesam:
Things a bit slow.

Be rest assured that when I am ready soon, I shall call upon you for the Solar installation.. I hate the noise from those generators.
I have silently read all your posts and recommendations... and you know what you are talking about.

Hajji M.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 9:16am On Nov 05, 2014
Good morning everyone
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 9:22am On Nov 05, 2014
mufutau55:

Be rest assured that when I am ready soon, I shall call upon you for the Solar installation.. I hate the noise from those generators.
I have silently read all your posts and recommendations... and you know what you are talking about.

Hajji M.

Oh it will be an honor doing that for you sir.
Look forward to that.

May we all prosper and be able to afford the good things in life.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 4:09pm On Nov 05, 2014
New threads coming soon. Showing our new projects.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 9:01pm On Nov 05, 2014
smiley

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by peaceland(m): 10:14pm On Nov 05, 2014
we are waiting sir!!!
DRealGeesam:
New threads coming soon. Showing our new projects.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by irokop(m): 2:34am On Nov 06, 2014
Geesam, I beg how much can one spend on solar system that can power a three bedroom flat or house, let say a flat with 1 hp air condition normal fridge Maybe three fans electronics and bulbs, pls tell me in Naira cos I really want to check and blance things, many thanks in advance
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 12:51pm On Nov 06, 2014
irokop:
Geesam, I beg how much can one spend on solar system that can power a three bedroom flat or house, let say a flat with 1 hp air condition normal fridge Maybe three fans electronics and bulbs, pls tell me in Naira cos I really want to check and blance things, many thanks in advance

Ok sir,

You need a 5kva Inverter (Because of the Air conditioner which usually has a high startup current 3kva will also work well, but to be comfortable 5kva will be a good option)
Magnum, Luminus, MUST, xantrex are all good inverters costs about
N225,000

A battery bank of minimum 8 200ah at 48v is least recommended.
N400,000

You need an mppt charge controller of 60a 48v
N90,000

Solar array of at least 2kva
N345,000

Pls let me have your email address so you can see all the options and what they can power and the costs. My company brochure for solar power for home use.

You will be able to make a more informed choice.

All the best sir.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2014
DRealGeesam:

N225,000

N400,000

My Oga, in a Solar setup, why do you still need array of batteries and Inverters?
Sorry for the stupid question, I have no knowledge in this; I have never even operated a generator to say the least, so I just want to broaden my knowledge. Also send me the brochure you mentioned.. I will send you my email address in a private email from here. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 4:22pm On Nov 06, 2014
peaceland:
we are waiting sir!!!
Ok sir grin
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
Thanks Geesam.. Got the brochure...
I think my question above might have been answered in the brochure... If I am correct, the Inverter and Battery arrays is for the 24 hours use?
Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
mufutau55:

My Oga, in a Solar setup, why do you still need array of batteries and Inverters?
Sorry for the stupid question, I have no knowledge in this; I have never even operated a generator to say the least, so I just want to broaden my knowledge. Also send me the brochure you mentioned.. I will send you my email address in a private email from here. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Lol, i like how you ask questions sir (noticed that on spyder's threads) cheesy

The batteries serve 2 purposes

1. The act as a capacitor. Capacitors are used to smooth out fluctuating current in every electrical appliance. They also are used to boost current supply. (These are in laymans language) capacitors are just like your over head tank. Instead of the water being pumped to go into your house directly, it first goes into the tank, so even if the pump is working very slowly, you wont notice because the tank is holding a lot of water on behalf of the pump and it will keep the supply steady.

Batteries do the same in your solar power set up, they ensure that your power demand is met steadily so you wont notice the fluctuations from the panels. Panels are always changing voltage all through the day.

2. They serve as energy reserve against the night when there is no sun. Just like your water tank serves as a water reserve when there is no electricity to pump water.

N.B there are PV inverters that use sunlight directly, but they only maintain voltage, they dont maintain their overall current output capacity cos this will keep fluctuating depending on sun intensity and pv cells temperature.

So batteries play an important role in making sure all the energy the solar panels produced are well stored and ready for use even when there is no sun.

Hope it is clear now sir smiley

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 4:43pm On Nov 06, 2014
Mr Geesam...

Thank you very much for all the detailed explanations above... I understood it so well now that I can even teach it to others.. smiley
I like that 24hours electricity service without the noise of the generator. Damn! we take things for granted over here.

You have answered my stupid questions, that even a "Caveman" can understand it. Thanks very much. It's nice to communicate with a
professional.

Hajji M.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 4:53pm On Nov 06, 2014
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Why Inverters in solar power?

Inverters convert dc(direct current) to ac (alternating current)

Home appliances use AC, but most solar panels produce dc current (just like batteries) there are AC solar panels, but the are far more expensive and tricky to use.

2. Inverters produce the appropriate voltage that the household electronics need. They step up the voltage from the solar panels or batteries to 220V (Nigeria ,Europe) or 120v (USA).

3. They preserve the batteries. They do this by preventing the batteries from being too drained. Batteries will refuse charge when they are too deeply drained frequently. Meaning they become unchargable.

4. Some inverters can charge batteries.

5. Some inverters can help you control your electricity consumption especially in developed countries, where people use grid tied inverters. This means the power company gives you energy credits for the power your inverter returns to them. Some people have succeeded in cutting their bills by half this way. and some are actually making a few bucks from this method. Where instead of getting a bill, they get cheques for their contribution to the power company, using their solar inverters or wind turbines.

Thanks for the questions sir, sure people learnt from this.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by omotoda(m): 5:12pm On Nov 06, 2014
DRealGeesam:

Why Inverters in solar power?

Inverters convert dc(direct current) to ac (alternating current)

Home appliances use AC, but most solar panels produce dc current (just like batteries) there are AC solar panels, but the are far more expensive and tricky to use.

2. Inverters produce the appropriate voltage that the household electronics need. They step up the voltage from the solar panels or batteries to 220V (Nigeria ,Europe) or 120v (USA).

3. They preserve the batteries. They do this by preventing the batteries from being too drained. Batteries will refuse charge when they are too deeply drained frequently. Meaning they become unchargable.

4. Some inverters can charge batteries.

5. Some inverters can help you control your electricity consumption especially in developed countries, where people use grid tied inverters. This means the power company gives you energy credits for the power your inverter returns to them. Some people have succeeded in cutting their bills by half this way. and some are actually making a few bucks from this method. Where instead of getting a bill, they get cheques for their contribution to the power company, using their solar inverters or wind turbines.

Thanks for the questions sir, sure people learnt from this.

I am also considering setting a solar installation for a 3 bedroom flat.It will carry just basic appliances (light, fan, TV LIGHTS).I can't afford the luxury of having them power my fridge, freezer and AC.May I have your bronchure as well as cost implication.I presently run on 2 different inverters.A 1.5KVA with 2 batteries which powers my house and a 2.4kva with 2 batteries exclusively for my freezer.

You can send the required info to smalleey2@yahoo.com
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by irokop(m): 5:59pm On Nov 06, 2014
DRealGeesam:

Ok sir,

You need a 5kva Inverter (Because of the Air conditioner which usually has a high startup current 3kva will also work well, but to be comfortable 5kva will be a good option)
N225,000

N400,000

You need an mppt charge controller of 60a 48v
N90,000

Solar array of at least 2kva
N345,000

Pls let me have your email address so you can see all the options and what they can power and the costs. My company brochure for solar power for home use.

You will be able to make a more informed choice.

All the best sir.

Thanks for your reply, you can send me an.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by peaceland(m): 6:03pm On Nov 06, 2014
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2014
irokop:

Thanks for your reply, you can send me an email at irokop@yahoo.co.uk. Cheers

@Irokop

There is no:
Onyo Onyo? here oh! LOL! (First time I heard that, and I loved it, and now the guy is posting pictures).

This guy here knows his stuff in Solar system implementation..

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 06, 2014
A friend of mine is drilling a borehole in his house. He plans to use the borehole for commercial purposes.
He invited guys from benue, abi benin to do manual drilling. They have already spent two weeks, and it will take another two weeks to get water.
I feel he should have used machines instead of manual but he argues that manual drilling is the best.He says maintenance is easy for manual dug borehole, that if anything happens to the borehore, the diggers can easily go inside to rectify it but that in machine drilling, the hole is abandoned to drill another hole.

As a pro in thos field, kindly confirm or refute his claims.
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by irokop(m): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
mufutau55:

@Irokop

There is no:
Onyo Onyo? here oh! LOL! (First time I heard that, and I loved it, and now the guy is posting pictures).

This guy here knows his stuff in Solar system implementation..

Hajji M.

Na so hajji m, I see u oo you are all over, keep it up
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by mufutau55(m): 9:49pm On Nov 06, 2014
irokop:

Na so hajji m, I see u oo you are all over, keep it up

Properties Forum is my home... I spend about 99% of my time here... Learning and making sure things run smoothly.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 10:47pm On Nov 06, 2014
mercylicious:
A friend of mine is drilling a borehole in his house. He plans to use the borehole for commercial purposes.
He invited guys from benue, abi benin to do manual drilling. They have already spent two weeks, and it will take another two weeks to get water.
I feel he should have used machines instead of manual but he argues that manual drilling is the best.He says maintenance is easy for manual dug borehole, that if anything happens to the borehore, the diggers can easily go inside to rectify it but that in machine drilling, the hole is abandoned to drill another hole.

Yeah i am back.
This is a very crucial question.

Manual drilling does not work everywhere

Your friend must have been taking counsel from people who know little about geology and drilling.

Quick Facts about drilling borehole.

1. Manual drilling is SLOW. A good motorized drilling rig will drill 70meters (250feet) within 3hrs! Depending on how fast the operator can load the shafts even if the whole ground is SOLID rock. I am not talking about all those yeye drilling rigs that they attach to vehicles and drag along o.

2. Manual drilling is ONLY good for highly weathered sedimentary basements. Use it on other basements at your own risk. Areas where you are most likely to succeed using manual drilling includes lagos, ogun, some parts of niger delta, some parts of south east. Chances of success in other regions is slim. Some get lucky anyway. Some get surface water and they are ok with it.

4. If a professional geologist does not approve you using manual drill it is best not to. OYO (on your own)

5. Hole is hole in the ground. Manually drilled borehole is as much a hole as the motorized drilled hole. It is not true that a motorized drilled borehole is more difficult to fixed because it was drilled with a machine. It is easy to fix manually drilled boreholes because most of them are shallow and exist in the soft layer of the earth. So it is easy for then to bring their tripod and reshape the hole, after all there is no serious rock to drill.
Do a motorized drilling, ask them to "case down" and add sleeve to it (inner casing) IT WILL NEVER COLLAPSE. The sleeve can even be changed and serviced

Sir, i hope your friend succeeds

The cheapness of manual drilling is always tempting and it makes people forget about efficiency.

MANY people have called me and when i tell the the cost of drilling, they bring up the issue of manual drilling which can be done for even 50k in many areas (especially ss)

It is this low price that is causing this hard heartedness and excuses to favor manual drilling.

I recommend manual drilling when it is recommendable based on geological facts not based on pocket. We all cant afford evrything we want in life.

Hope he succeeds anyway.

I will advise you leave him to satisfy his mind first (he might succeed after must travail and waiting). But this is what i think will happen (based on experience) those boys will tell him they are through after a while (but they know they achieved nothing) there will be water in the borehole but it will keep drying up within a short time. Any manual drilling that is taking more than 5 days is most likely to end this way, cos they've hit rock bottom, they are only bidding their time and waiting for enough water to percolate in the already drilled hole. So watch them well to make sure you dont pay for a "barren" borehole
Re: Solar Power & Boreholes Jobs (FULL Pictures) Ask ANY questions NO SECRETS by DRealGeesam(m): 10:54pm On Nov 06, 2014
mercylicious:

Never knew i typed that much.
So the summary is.
He is right that manual drilling is easier to correct (only because it is shallow and not through a rock)

But he is wrong drilling a commercial purpose borehole manually.

He is wrong saying manual is the best. Motorized drilled boreholes dont fail or collapse if the casing is done right.

Depending on the geology of where he is, he might just be wasting time and money drilling without a geological investigation (except he falls among the lucky few)

Hope this helps sir.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

This House Takes 6 Hours To Build And Costs Just $33K / Somebody's Living Room Flooded In Lekki After The Rain (Photo) / Hire Dump Trucks At A Cheap Rate, And U Can Also Call Us For Quality Granite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.