Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,451 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon (31694 Views)

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt / Yakubu Gowon's Son, Musa, Returns After 22Years In Prison / Obasanjo, Ambode At 80th Birthday Of Adebutu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by veraponpo(m): 10:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
nijanigga:
He's the architect of Nigeria's problems. No blueprint for economic developments, no foresight to get a credit of a founding father, no plan for civilian govt, he introduced "odogi" inadvertently introduced corruption. The guy came unprepared to rule Nigeria.

Like Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by StoneColdBiceps(m): 11:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
Hbd gallant. Soja
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by pazienza(m): 11:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
Which reconstruction and reconcilation did Gowon pilot? Perhaps the ones that took place in Lagos and in the North. Ndi ara!
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Emeca: 11:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
tobtap:

obasanjo is nigeria longest serving head of state(almost 12 years as head of state) and gadaffi was the youngest head of state in africa when he took over libya

gaddafi was d youngest until valentine strasser of sierra leone at age of 25.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by biafranqueen: 1:25am On Oct 20, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Oh, he had an economic blueprint alright.......spend-spend-spend like there's no tomorrow!
The guy killed so many Igbo's can you imagine? Is that why they celebrating him?
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by naijaking1: 3:00am On Oct 20, 2014
pazienza:
Which reconstruction and reconcilation did Gowon pilot? Perhaps the ones that took place in Lagos and in the North. Ndi ara!

Like Gov Akpabio of Akwa Ibom asked, why did reconstruction take place in the West while the war took place in the east
Gowon, like the founding father of our country is responsible for many of the ills afflicting our nation today. Thank goodness, he led Nigeria to victory for a united nation, but is it real?
Gowon is no Abe Lincoln!
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by liyalla(m): 6:33am On Oct 20, 2014
Even my mum thinks he was so selfless during his time of leadership doing only what seems right. Happy birthday sir...
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by RebelLeader15(m): 6:50am On Oct 20, 2014
oduaboy1:
And why is your mum blaming Gowon for the sin of ojukwu?
I tire oooo, Ojukwu single-handedly send the idle and jobless slaves in Igbo land to fight for him so he can create his own personal country call BIAFRA, unknown to these slaves, they were fighting like German machines while their slave master was busy drinking and fu*king their wives. When he see that he was losing against the Nigeria Army, he left the slaves behind and fled to Ivory coast.....#Igbo people are the only stup1d tribe in Nigeria who a sole man can pack together like sardine and transport them to their graves without anyone questioning him#. They are the wisest fool in the whole of the Universe

4 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Jaguar1(m): 6:59am On Oct 20, 2014
That makes you my birthday mate sir, happy belated birthday as I was busy celebrating yesterday.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kevinbey(m): 7:11am On Oct 20, 2014
He is 80 means we shouldn't care anymore. or do we want another over 80 year old president like Obasanjo and remain in one spot for another 8 years
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kettykin: 8:20am On Oct 20, 2014
RebelLeader15:
I tire oooo, Ojukwu single-handedly send the idle and jobless slaves in Igbo land to fight for him so he can create his own personal country call BIAFRA, unknown to these slaves, they were fighting like German machines while their slave master was busy drinking and fu*king their wives. When he see that he was losing against the Nigeria Army, he left the slaves behind and fled to Ivory coast.....#Igbo people are the only stup1d tribe in Nigeria who a sole man can pack together like sardine and transport them to their graves without anyone questioning him#. They are the wisest fool in the whole of the Universe

You sound unintelligent and unintelligible

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kettykin: 8:26am On Oct 20, 2014
kingthreat:

I wish nincompoops like you were around your present age in 1967. Your unbalanced reasoning would have pushed you to the war front. Unlike Ojukwu who had the opportunity to disguise as a woman and run away, yours might have been different.
Get it into your thick skull. The fact that there is no Biafra is enough to make Gowon a more fulfilled man than any of your kindred.

Yea ojukwu fought and eventually fled the war front, he is still very much better than ogundipe who ended his military career with out argument or a single gun shot when a man half his age and half his rank upstaged him and took a post by rank, constitution, position ogundipe was qualified for

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by DaGC(m): 8:41am On Oct 20, 2014
Please people, Gowon is no Abe Lincoln!!!.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by promizchild: 8:42am On Oct 20, 2014
Happy birthday to the standing hero
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kingthreat(m): 9:08am On Oct 20, 2014
kettykin:

Yea ojukwu fought and eventually fled the war front, he is still very much better than ogundipe who ended his military career with out argument or a single gun shot when a man half his age and half his rank upstaged him and took a post by rank, constitution, position ogundipe was qualified for

Please take sometime to research on Benjamin Adekunle - The Black Scorpion. He took no Biafran prisoners during the war. Every Biafran soldier had nightmares of him.

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by zendy: 9:26am On Oct 20, 2014
Life should be celebrated and I would congratulate anyone who has attained the age of 80 like Gowon. However,Gowon the man and ex-soldier was a colossal disaster. Anyone who is actually congratulating this man for keeping Nigeria one needs to have emergency brain surgery. The sins of Gowon are too numerous but I will mention the main one's here

[1] Destroyed the integrity of the Army by not recognising seniority: Gowon assumed power after the counter coup,thereby "leap frogging" over several officers including Ogundipe,Nwawo,Adebayor,Effiong,Njoku,Bassey,Ejoor and Ojukwu who were all senior to him. By doing this,Gowon taught junior officers that it was ok to kick their seniors out of the way in the quest for power and Murutala did the same to him 9 years later.

[2] Gowon became the face northern Nigerian domination:The war was not fought by Gowon because of his love of Nigeria. It was fought to keep Nigeria under the control of North. Does anyone actually believe that if it had been the North that had the sea-port and oil,they would be fighting to keep Nigeria one so we can all share their oil wealth together? Lol. Trust me,if they had been the one who had oil,they would have left Nigeria long time ago.

[3] Gowon directly caused the war:It should be noted that Ojukwu did everything humanly possible to advert war. Ojukwu asked Gowon to hand over to the highest ranking officer at the time (Brigadier Ogundipe) to reflect integrity of 'seniority' within the army and to dispel suspicion of Northern domination.Gowon refused.Ojukwu met Gowon in Aburi,Ghana, where they reached an agreement to advert war.Gowon and Ojukwu signed this agreement in the presence of the Ghanaian president,General Ankrah.What did Gowon do? Gowon returned to Lagos and turned his back on the agreement.Instead of Gowon renegotiating,he took the unilateral decision of creating States (divide and rule) which was against the Aburi accord. This was the singular act that caused Ojukwu to declare Biafra. Even with the declaration of Biafra,Gowon could have still returned to the negotiation table but instead,he chose to go to war which would claim millions of lives.

[4] After the war ended in victory for Gowon and the northern oligarchy, then came corruption. There was a period of oil boom of the early 70's knows as the 'Petro-Naira era' where millions of dollars of oil money flowed into the country. Gowon and his highly corrupt regime frittered away what has been regarded as the best economic period in the history of Nigeria.He mortgaged the future of unborn Nigerians for the benefit of the Hausa/Fulani Oligarchy.

Gowon can carry on celebrating his birthday without a thought for all the children that died when he decided to use starvation as an instrument of war,however,it is history and posterity that will judge him. I'm glad that he is still alive to see the Nigeria he fought to keep one still in tatars as it was before he went to Aburi. History has long vindicated Ojukwu.Personally,I think Gowonis a terrible man.

6 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by zendy: 9:49am On Oct 20, 2014
RebelLeader15:

The only real 'slaves' are people like you and others who decided to accept domination of the Hausa/Fulanis like cattle without a brain to realise that it the right of any man to seek self determination. Igbos fought to be free,they fought for self rule. They did not go to die because Ojukwu told them to,they fought because collectively,they decided that they did not want to be part of Nigeria. Freedom is one of the few things in life worth dying for and if you understand why our founding fathers had to suffer and die to give Nigeria independence from Great Britain,I see no reason why you won't understand why Igbos had to suffer and die to get independence from Nigeria. If Ojukwu had actually been someone who 'mindlessly' led his people to their deaths,he would not be revered as he was in life and death.

3 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by San2ski(m): 9:58am On Oct 20, 2014
0merta:

The Nigerian military head of state between 1966 and 1975.

He won the 1971 Nobel prize in Peace for his role in the extermination of Biafran rebels and in the restoration of Peace in a civil-war ravaged Nigeria.

Are you kidding me?!
I can use that Nobel Price as a toilet tissue.
kiss undecided kiss undecided

grin grin
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kettykin: 12:59pm On Oct 20, 2014
kingthreat:

Please take sometime to research on Benjamin Adekunle - The Black Scorpion. He took no Biafran prisoners during the war. Every Biafran soldier had nightmares of him.

How does taking no prisoners of war make somebody a hero whereas even the major players in the first world war and second world war treated prisoners of war with absolute respect and dignity.

America, the world leader in modern war fare and the most powerful military country in the world doesn't threat prisoners of war with like animals, yet some unknown village champions going about branding themselves as war heroes eventhough they have been upstaged twice in the presidency by the north and could not keep their most field Marshall Aare ona kakanfo from the boot of Al mustapha will try to make a hero out of a failed military commander who lost 90% of his troupes before being booted out of the war front and out of the army

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by DansomtoC(m): 1:55pm On Oct 20, 2014
HBD!!!
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Blackfire(m): 2:05pm On Oct 20, 2014
oduaboy1:
That plane was filled with ibos grin grin grin grin grin
one thing with them is they never forgive,if u dont admit when u hurt them..they love paybacks
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kingthreat(m): 2:29pm On Oct 20, 2014
kettykin:

How does taking no prisoners of war make somebody a hero whereas even the major players in the first world war and second world war treated prisoners of war with absolute respect and dignity.

America, the world leader in modern war fare and the most powerful military country in the world doesn't threat prisoners of war with like animals, yet some unknown village champions going about branding themselves as war heroes eventhough they have been upstaged twice in the presidency by the north and could not keep their most field Marshall Aare ona kakanfo from the boot of Al mustapha will try to make a hero out of a failed military commander who lost 90% of his troupes before being booted out of the war front and out of the army

We have ruled this country for 11 years and your tribe has none. Don't ever compare yourselves to us. You got no point.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by wildikeman(m): 2:36pm On Oct 20, 2014
Genocide leader...may the blood of the savages and the kids he has killed during the ethnical cleansing oops Civil war judge him on the last day!
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by wildikeman(m): 2:48pm On Oct 20, 2014
frustratedman:
E NOR GO BETTER FOR GOD WICKED THING THAT MADE ME LOOSE ALL I HAD
guy what happened?
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by RebelLeader15(m): 3:30pm On Oct 20, 2014
kettykin:

You sound unintelligent and unintelligible
kid, you must be suffering from brain cancer
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by wildikeman(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2014
Kylekent59:
Hpy bday,, wow he was d founder of nysc kudos to him
to waste my time abi...

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by christopher123(m): 5:06pm On Oct 20, 2014
AND SO WHAT
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by revolt(m): 5:31pm On Oct 20, 2014
Atleast he wasn't a treacherous snake. Unlike the progenitor of tribalism, tht backstabbed and supported injustice.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kettykin: 5:59pm On Oct 20, 2014
kingthreat:

We have ruled this country for 11 years and your tribe has none. Don't ever compare yourselves to us. You got no point.

you still don't get it there igbo are parliamentarians and law makers in UK and a promising igbo man Chuka Umunna has bright prospects of been elected the first British prime minister.
An igbo woman was once adjudged the best and most eligible person to occupy the position of the highest economic / financial institution , another igbo man was once an adviser to president Bush on science and technology.

you ruled the most unstable African country for 11 years with absolutely no major contribution meanwhile both occasions where actually out of the generosity of the North and not as a result of your own making or effort and you still have the ffontery to come online to boast about it
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by musiwa95: 10:42pm On Oct 20, 2014
Just to help you people, who think, that I am telling lies that I am the Emperor of Independent country of the kingdom of Western Nigeria.

look at this two coin.

You will notice the design is the same. British West Africa and federation of Nigeria.

British West Africa consisit of several countries including Ghana ,Western Nigeria, gambia , Nigeria etc

You can see, from this coins , that all that happen was just a change of name from british West Africa to the federation of Nigeria.
But I am the Emperor of Independent country of the kingdom of Western Nigeria which was part of British West Africa.

Do you see the triangle is the same in the coins. Nigeria was a region body like ecowas. am I a liar, look at the coins yourself. if I am telling lies, your own eyes will not tell you lies.

since you dont want to believe me,look at the video of balewa visit the USA president. You will see that Balewa took Igbo men only to the USA to deceive the USA president . The Igbo men were dress like Yoruba men to deceive them. he went there to decieve the USA govt that Independent Country of the kingdom of Western Nigeria was part of the Nigeria. which is not correct. before they occupy it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoHA_IyLgs&list=UUb87BDP4HGsiqBllDwiejIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1793418_1111111be_jpeg17c7e12b46f51080d96ca9e2d9c3ca17
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1793463_nigeriapenny1959_jpeg1f61a0e9e8429fe751d42b87e087ec9b
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1796739_1795552img20141017222602jpeg81db21ec600d37d87e0876511714547b_jpeg989e4b562315f2bbfd7d82f06dca3f5e
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1796875_untitled_jpegf00b416e41190686e1165a3b44a1bf51

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari's Running Mate, Prof Osinbajo Graduated in 1978 At The Age Of 19? / Ortom Visits Victims Of Fulani Herdsmen Attack In Benue (Disturbing Photos) / Buhari: Nigerians Now Leaving Offices For Farms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.